Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's a joke about someone with a very high bonus getting a ridiculously good deal through a skill check with there being no reasonable in-world justification for it. That's why the conversation happens off-screen. The whole point is that there's no real argument that would get someone that deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And then next time they come through town, they get hosed over because the only airship mechanic is out of business as a result of that impossible deal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, it seems like updates are coming at a much faster rate than they were before. It's crazy...

:ohdear: Sure hope Rich is okay.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eifert Posting posted:

She could probably get a first level NPC to fall up into orbit by telling her it was down.
Reminds me of the Epic Level spell Nail To The Sky, where you send someone so high into the air that they just stay there. The implication of them being stuck in orbit is never made explicit, but it's pretty clear.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, it seems like updates are coming at a much faster rate than they were before. It's crazy...

:ohdear: Sure hope Rich is okay.

:ducksiren: It's working! :ducksiren:

just, you know, probably not like you intended

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's the balance of nature. Good and evil, yin and yang; call it what you will, but as one dwindles, so does the other, and when one returns to former strength, the other is soon to follow.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
No way are they on that island for just a day, not after that elaborate steampunk opener. That, or it'll be one day the same way the last hundred or so pages of the last chapter took place over a span of about an hour.

Angela Christine posted:

There are also craftsmen who insist on "doing things right" every time, regardless of circumstances. If you rush or you do a quick patch job, that can have consequences down the line. This shop is OSHA compliant. Etc. And he's right, steam engines and airships are peculiar beasts and if you make a mistake it absolutely can have catastrophic consequences. Even a simple residential boiler can have a spectacular failure if people gently caress around with it.

In an esoteric skill like airship repair he probably doesn't have any real local competition, not even in a gnome city, so he can set his own rules. Everyone with a busted airship is in a hurry and this time it is really really important that you rush. Because of course they are, people who aren't in a hurry use boats or horses, not airships.

Haley merely convinced him that this time it really was worth bending his own rules and doing rush job. She pushed the right buttons.

The sperg is coming from inside the thread :aaa:

Ursine Asylum posted:

:ducksiren: It's working! :ducksiren:

just, you know, probably not like you intended

Clicked it, the header popped up, closed before any images could load.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It could be a day of downtime, kind of like the Azure City new year bit, or maybe he plans to cut away and show how other characters elsewhere are doing. It's the start of a new book, we've had the establishing scenes and a touch of action, spending some time to lay some threads for the upcoming arc makes sense.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Wolfsheim posted:

The only moral response.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Eschers Basement posted:

The only moral response.

It was the Lawful Good thing to do.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wolfsheim posted:

Doesn't take much, given how loving slow that site is to load. I'm on a high speed fibre connection and it takes about 10 to 30 seconds before anything shows except for the post date.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Doesn't take much, given how loving slow that site is to load. I'm on a high speed fibre connection and it takes about 10 to 30 seconds before anything shows except for the post date.

It's just that popular!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Just means next time I have to crossload the image in question to imgur.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wolfsheim posted:

No way are they on that island for just a day, not after that elaborate steampunk opener. That, or it'll be one day the same way the last hundred or so pages of the last chapter took place over a span of about an hour.

Yes.

quote:

The sperg is coming from inside the thread :aaa:

Bluff Examples

The target wants to believe you. -5
The bluff is believable and doesn’t affect the target much. +0
The bluff is a little hard to believe or puts the target at some risk. +5
The bluff is hard to believe or puts the target at significant risk. +10
The bluff is way out there, almost too incredible to consider. +20

Haley probably has a modifier to her Bluff north of ... +30? at this stage.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Same. With a barely audible grunt of disgust. Next time just goats.ce me.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

She was probably just wise to the fact that the mechanic was trying to scam the out-of-towners and used her street smarts to get it down to what the mechanic's relatives would pay.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

She was probably just wise to the fact that the mechanic was trying to scam the out-of-towners and used her street smarts to get it down to what the mechanic's relatives would pay.

it is a rules joke

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Yeah you guys are way overthinking a rules joke.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kruller posted:

Yeah you guys are way overthinking a rules joke.
oots.txt

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

It could be a day of downtime, kind of like the Azure City new year bit, or maybe he plans to cut away and show how other characters elsewhere are doing. It's the start of a new book, we've had the establishing scenes and a touch of action, spending some time to lay some threads for the upcoming arc makes sense.

Yeah, probably this. Now that Tarquin's out of the way I'd see we're about due to check in on what the real villains are up to.

And I'm thinking something is going to have to happen soon to cause some major delay and inconvenience for Xykon. Either the defenses for the gate itself, or Redcloak making his move or something just out of left field, because otherwise he just makes a beeline for the gate with the OotS right behind him for a showdown. And obviously the party isn't ever just going to go directly from point A to point B without distractions along the way, even without the complications Durkula's all set to unleash. (bringing death and destruction to the homeland, murdering Belkar, etc.) There has to be something to keep Xykon and/or Redcloak distracted in the meantime.

...thinking about it I'd be surprised if this next book wasn't pretty heavily villain focused. Redcloak's going to have to betray Xykon pretty soon now, and the MitD will have a role to play in that one way or another, and I assume Rich will have to work a lot of the Start of Darkness backstory into the strip at some point as well. And then of course there's whatever the IFCC is up too. There's still a lot of plot that needs to be gotten out of the way before we get to the last gate. Not the least of which is finding out the truth of what's even going on with the gates in the first place.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 22, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Well, the IFCC does want "pointless, destructive conflict" for all of them. If things start going too smoothly for Xykon again, they'll send another pawn to make his life miserable. Maybe even offer Redcloak some divine version of the soul splice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zoe posted:

...thinking about it I'd be surprised if this next book wasn't pretty heavily villain focused. Redcloak's going to have to betray Xykon pretty soon now, and the MitD will have a role to play in that one way or another, and I assume Rich will have to work a lot of the Start of Darkness backstory into the strip at some point as well. And then of course there's whatever the IFCC is up too. There's still a lot of plot that needs to be gotten out of the way before we get to the last gate. Not the least of which is finding out the truth of what's even going on with the gates in the first place.

It's very hard to imagine Tarquin and his allies completely sitting this one out too. And Sabine needs a chance to get back at him for killing Nale.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zoe posted:

Yeah, probably this. Now that Tarquin's out of the way I'd see we're about due to check in on what the real villains are up to.

And I'm thinking something is going to have to happen soon to cause some major delay and inconvenience for Xykon. Either the defenses for the gate itself, or Redcloak making his move or something just out of left field, because otherwise he just makes a beeline for the gate with the OotS right behind him for a showdown. And obviously the party isn't ever just going to go directly from point A to point B without distractions along the way, even without the complications Durkula's all set to unleash. (bringing death and destruction to the homeland, murdering Belkar, etc.) There has to be something to keep Xykon and/or Redcloak distracted in the meantime.

Good thoughts. At some point the Order will have to have an actual conflict with Team Evil, but because Xykon's immediate response will be to teleport to them and blow them up, I guess that needs to wait til the end of the story. Possibly the mystery of Hel (who has zero worshippers in the North, according to Rich) is somehow tied up with the murky motivations of the Dark One.

I mean his story to Redcloak might be true; but I doubt it because it doesn't make a huge amount of sense and that would be leaving a lot of drama on the table given what Redcloak has sacrificed to make it happen.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well, his story isn't false (probably). There are definitely rifts and there is definitely a Snarl. There's just the matter of another world in there with it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

FWIW, I think it's a very safe bet that the last gate isn't the end of the story. It'll be the site of dramatic confrontations, betrayals, reversals, and a devastating loss, and a lot of the factions are going to slam into each other hard with disastrous consequences right there. At the end, though, it looks like it's really the set up for the final act of the story, rather than the climax.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Carrasco posted:

Maybe even offer Redcloak some divine version of the soul splice.

Aw man, now I want to see this. I can just picture Redcloak chained to a paladin and LG wizard, casting an epic spell like "Mass Raise Dead Relatives" or something with a catchier title.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

It's very hard to imagine Tarquin and his allies completely sitting this one out too. And Sabine needs a chance to get back at him for killing Nale.

Really? I feel like Tarquin's done with in this story, impotently raging about how this was a terrible ending. And let's not forget that his allies just had this happen and may be distracted.

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, I think it's a very safe bet that the last gate isn't the end of the story. It'll be the site of dramatic confrontations, betrayals, reversals, and a devastating loss, and a lot of the factions are going to slam into each other hard with disastrous consequences right there. At the end, though, it looks like it's really the set up for the final act of the story, rather than the climax.

Well, we're currently at the start of the second-last book and they're headed for the last gate, so yeah, I'd say it's a pretty drat safe bet that the last gate will be done with at the end of this book.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 23, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MikeJF posted:

Really? I feel like Tarquin's done with in this story, impotently raging about how this was a terrible ending. And let's not forget that his allies just had this happen and may be distracted.

Tarquin's whole story was ultimately about defying literary convention. And Sabine definitely still has some role to play in this.

Edit: Tarquin himself could be done. But the powers of the western continent now have an interest in the last gate.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 23, 2014

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

ultrafilter posted:

Edit: Tarquin himself could be done. But the powers of the western continent now have an interest in the last gate.

I don't think they do. The only one in the Vector Legion who knows about the Gates is Tarquin, and he explicitly said that he had no interest in going after them.

"Power I can't access is no power at all," and all that jazz.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also, the whole point of the climax of the last book was that Tarquin wasn't the villain of the story. I'm inclined to doubt he'll play a major part in the rest of the story.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

jng2058 posted:

Also, the whole point of the climax of the last book was that Tarquin wasn't the villain of the story. I'm inclined to doubt he'll play a major part in the rest of the story.

He'll return once, to take out Xykon so he can take his rightful place as the campaign's Main Villain. Of course Xykon will defeat, kill and zombify him in 3 panels.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Aw man, now I want to see this. I can just picture Redcloak chained to a paladin and LG wizard, casting an epic spell like "Mass Raise Dead Relatives" or something with a catchier title.

"Rejuva-Nation!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jng2058 posted:

I see no reason to believe he'll stop trying to, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tenebrais posted:

I see no reason to believe he'll stop trying to, though.

But it will be boring and ridiculous if he does. His whole shtick was that he couldn't be beaten, and Elan beat him by telling him he wasn't important. If he comes back it nullifies that arc.

I'm sure there are ways he could come back that wouldn't be dumb, but there will need to be some kind of surprising twist associated with it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sebmojo posted:

I'm sure there are ways he could come back that wouldn't be dumb, but there will need to be some kind of surprising twist associated with it.

:smug: Elan, I am your father!

:crossarms: Yes? We talked about that already, remember.

:shepface: Noooooooooo!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If Rich does decide to bring any of the Blood, Sweat and Tears group, I figure the most we'll see of Tarquin is a mention that he's refusing to leave the Empire of Blood because he's waiting for his son to come back and finish their story properly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If Team B,S,T gets involved it'll be at the very end, and it'll be with a massive show of force because they've decided after the debacle in the desert with the Snarl coming out to play that letting anyone gently caress with the Last Gate is too damned dangerous.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

jng2058 posted:

If Team B,S,T gets involved it'll be at the very end, and it'll be with a massive show of force because they've decided after the debacle in the desert with the Snarl coming out to play that letting anyone gently caress with the Last Gate is too damned dangerous.

Tarquin realizes his only chance at the history books is a massive heel turn (or the opposite?) because of the redemptive power of a father's love for his son. THEN Elan blows him off.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

navyjack posted:

Tarquin realizes his only chance at the history books is a massive heel turn (or the opposite?) because of the redemptive power of a father's love for his son. THEN Elan blows him off.

At which point Tarquin reveals his army and demands Elan take him at face value or he'll just wipe them off the map, and then gets telefragged by Redcloak when he's coming back with groceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

navyjack posted:

Tarquin is already a heel, so it'd be a face turn.