Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

I think Waid also, when he returned, made the comic all about Wally's kids no one cared about.

He was sort of pissed at that. He said that he said all that he had to say with the character. Other than Zoom what great villains did Johns create other than Zoom?

It would be crazy if it was Barry going back in time to stop Zoom killing his mom, only to find out that the battle goes past them and his dad did do it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is there an easily viewable list of who wrote for the flash when? Any wikipedia pages i've ran into have been a goddamn mess. I assume I'm looking for Waid and Johns' runs in The Flash v2, but I'm not entirely sure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why do you y'all want his dad to have killed his wife? That's just plain mean.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Drifter posted:

Why do you y'all want his dad to have killed his wife? That's just plain mean.

Because it would completely destroy Barry's belief system. It could bring on an existential crisis and maybe even a dark flash period.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scapegoat posted:

Because it would completely destroy Barry's belief system. It could bring on an existential crisis and maybe even a dark flash period.

...You. You are what's wrong with comics. Not every character has to be 'dark'. If nothing else, if everything's dark, how do you even tell? The only way that leads is constant one-upmanship until it's all death, gore, rape and... *looks at current comics scene*

What was my point again?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Scapegoat posted:

No, gently caress that garbage. Barry's entire draw at the moment is his status as an anti-antihero. gently caress that dark gritty bullshit. Give me fast, fun Flash any day of the week.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Obviously, something happened that night that involved one but possibly two speedsters. The reason for there being two is Barry being put outside and away from the house. An evil speedster wouldn't do that (in fact, he'd probably just try and off Barry right there) so maybe an older future Flash gets his younger self out of harms way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dark Flash would rip off so many arms.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thwomp posted:

Obviously, something happened that night that involved one but possibly two speedsters. The reason for there being two is Barry being put outside and away from the house. An evil speedster wouldn't do that (in fact, he'd probably just try and off Barry right there) so maybe an older future Flash gets his younger self out of harms way.

Yeah if it were just one guy trying to kill Barry's mom (or Barry) then it would be instantaneous. The continuous blur probably indicates a fight, in the same episode you even have a similar "vortex" when Barry fights the tornado guy

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
The liquid effects we've seen seem like they should mean something. When Barry's mom's being killed, Barry's fish water rises up as though it's in zero G. Again, when Barry's hit by lightning we see the effect. And just before the collider starts failing, the champagne out of Wells's bottle does the same thing. In all three cases, the effect happens at the beginning of the event.

It's not from the collider, because it happened in Barry's past. But something specific in those three events ties those events together. Nothing exists in all three events that we know of right now. My gut says it's a time travel thing and that Barry is the common element, even in the collider failure, partly due to comics crap I won't go into here.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Spergatory posted:

I could do without Barry's narration summing up the Lesson of the Week at the end of each episode

A world without Barry Allen's inner monologue is a place that has no business existing. Let it burn in the fire of a thousand retcons.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

kaynorr posted:

A world without Barry Allen's inner monologue is a place that has no business existing. Let it burn in the fire of a thousand retcons.

They should have Ollie do some of the inner monologuing during his guest episode. It's like thought bubbles from comics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

They should have Ollie do some of the inner monologuing during his guest episode. It's like thought bubbles from comics.

They accidentally monologue over each other.

"I loved you in Wall Street!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

The liquid effects we've seen seem like they should mean something. When Barry's mom's being killed, Barry's fish water rises up as though it's in zero G. Again, when Barry's hit by lightning we see the effect. And just before the collider starts failing, the champagne out of Wells's bottle does the same thing. In all three cases, the effect happens at the beginning of the event.

It's not from the collider, because it happened in Barry's past. But something specific in those three events ties those events together. Nothing exists in all three events that we know of right now. My gut says it's a time travel thing and that Barry is the common element, even in the collider failure, partly due to comics crap I won't go into here.

I think that's just their go to sign that physics have gone wrong. Presumably the first instance is because time travel is occurring, the second and third are because the radioactive spiders have escaped weird energies from the particle accelerator have gotten loose.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is there an easily viewable list of who wrote for the flash when? Any wikipedia pages i've ran into have been a goddamn mess. I assume I'm looking for Waid and Johns' runs in The Flash v2, but I'm not entirely sure.

Basically Waid was #62-#162, Johns was #164-225. There's probably a few fill-ins in that lot.

People always go on about those two, but I really liked the Messner-Loebs run before them from #15-61. Anyway, Wally was the best (comic book) Flash.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's possible they might have a second wave of meta humans for some reason or another, even if only temporary. Alternatively, parallel universes

I could totally see parallel universes. It's efficient; they can gently caress up characters without actually committing, like vampire Willow on Buffy. Or Fringe.

I can also see characters intentionally engineering scenarios that either kill them or turn them to metahumans. "Hey, it worked with the particle accelerator...turn that poo poo on, I'm going to grab these dipoles over here."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unkempt posted:

Basically Waid was #62-#162, Johns was #164-225. There's probably a few fill-ins in that lot.

People always go on about those two, but I really liked the Messner-Loebs run before them from #15-61. Anyway, Wally was the best (comic book) Flash.

Yes and one of those fill ins was Millar and Morrison.

We could get parallel universes since that is something Flash is known for, and crisis mention.

When they bring in Gorrila Grodd I hope they adapt the storyline when he gives every animal awareness and it causes animals to attack humanity and the only one who can save the day is Rex the Wonder Dog.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 23, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of Grodd

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/23/gorilla-grodd-confirmed-to-appear-on-the-flash/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's right, I said it out loud and it sounded insane and it sounded insane to the people in my office too.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
I'm loving this show, but there's two things that bug me. They're both tiny, mostly unimportant things, but they still bug me.

First is just a personal thing. I wanted John Westley Shipp to be Jay Garrick so badly. Being Barry's dad is cool, but he'd have made a wonderful Jay Garrick (and I still think the callback to his Flash role would have been better that way). Granted, anything that gives me some JWS is good, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the guy.

Second isn't nearly as small, and that's that the actor who plays Eddie Thawne looks vastly more like Barry Allen than Grant Gustin does. I can ignore that Gustin doesn't look... well... anything like Barry Allen, I really can. But when you have another guy in the same show (not to mention the same scene) with him who Does look like comic Barry... it's a bit harder. (they can't even dye Gustin's hair blonde? Really? :sigh:)

Now enough bitching... bring on Captain Cold, baby. :D

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Is there some kind of vital comics plot point that requires Barry to be blonde? Like some extra dimensional power that canonically only activates for people with hair of a certain shinyness quotient? Is his blondness a formative element of his personality, like all the kids at school picked on him for having blond hair and this drove him to become a valiant defender of justice for those whose follicles do not fit with the rest of society's? No?

Then who cares what his hair color is. The vast majority of people in the world--hell, I would even say the vast majority of comic nerds--do not give one single gently caress what comics Barry looks like so long as the guy they cast is actually, you know, good at acting.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Seriously. However Barry Allen is "supposed" to look is irrelevant. This Flash is Flash-as-Spider-Man; Grant Gustin is playing him more like Peter Parker than anything else, and that's why they cast him.

And it's a smart move, too. DC doesn't really have an analog to Spider-Man, so they've repurposed Flash into one. Just pretend you're watching that, and this Barry Allen feels entirely appropriate.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

This is all I wanted out of this show. Can't wait. :allears:

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Spergatory posted:

Is there some kind of vital comics plot point that requires Barry to be blonde? Like some extra dimensional power that canonically only activates for people with hair of a certain shinyness quotient? Is his blondness a formative element of his personality, like all the kids at school picked on him for having blond hair and this drove him to become a valiant defender of justice for those whose follicles do not fit with the rest of society's? No?

Then who cares what his hair color is. The vast majority of people in the world--hell, I would even say the vast majority of comic nerds--do not give one single gently caress what comics Barry looks like so long as the guy they cast is actually, you know, good at acting.

I see this point come up a lot, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

It may seem silly that a brunette Barry Allen is Wrong Barry Allen to me, or that Wally West should be a white redhead, or whatever. And maybe it kind of is, but it's not only an issue of 'Why isn't Barry blonde?", it's a larger issue of 'If you're going to do the character, why not do them faithfully, else why did you use that character?".

In this case... it's so damned simple to just blonde his hair a bit, it's a trivial effort to make. But for anyone familiar with Barry Allen in comics, for that tiny, trivial little effort what you get is a TV Barry Allen who looks just a little more familiar as that character. And like I said in my last post, even that would be a lot easier to ignore if they didn't have this other actor there who does look a damned lot like comics Barry.

*shrugs* It's all just a matter of Character Fidelity IMHO. Respect the property if you're going to be using it; not just the biggest, most obvious aspects of it.

[[EDIT: It may also help to note that IP matters are a huge deal in what I do, so it's an issue that is important to me for practical reasons as well as personal opinion-based reasons.]]

Wolvorine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 23, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wolvorine posted:

I see this point come up a lot, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

It may seem silly that a brunette Barry Allen is Wrong Barry Allen to me, or that Wally West should be a white redhead, or whatever. And maybe it kind of is, but it's not only an issue of 'Why isn't Barry blonde?", it's a larger issue of 'If you're going to do the character, why not do them faithfully, else why did you use that character?".

In this case... it's so damned simple to just blonde his hair a bit, it's a trivial effort to make. But for anyone familiar with Barry Allen in comics, for that tiny, trivial little effort what you get is a TV Barry Allen who looks just a little more familiar as that character. And like I said in my last post, even that would be a lot easier to ignore if they didn't have this other actor there who does look a damned lot like comics Barry.

*shrugs* It's all just a matter of Character Fidelity IMHO. Respect the property if you're going to be using it; not just the biggest, most obvious aspects of it.

[[EDIT: It may also help to note that IP matters are a huge deal in what I do, so it's an issue that is important to me for practical reasons as well as personal opinion-based reasons.]]

Holy poo poo jesus Christ. :catstare:

lol.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Well considering the main thing about DC is infinite universes this is pretty dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The character's named Felicity and she's up next week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow. And I thought I'd seen the dumbest nitpicks possible already.

Please don't ever make a serious post about hair color again.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Drifter posted:

Holy poo poo jesus Christ. :catstare:

lol.

Like I'm going to listen to a guy named Wolvorine on continuity. Come on!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want to know his opinions on Heimdall, don't scare him off yet.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

greatn posted:

I want to know his opinions on Heimdall, don't scare him off yet.

You don't even need to that since Iris West is the same situation.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Wolvorine posted:

Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

I demand a black, queer, transman version of Booster Gold. Just because. Literally for no reason.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

I demand a black, queer, transman version of Booster Gold. Just because. Literally for no reason.

Booster Gold is canonically a black queer transman. He's trans-white, actually.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jesus Christ, shut the hell up. :cripes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So final ratings were adjusted up a tenth to put it at 1.5. Only a .2 loss vs. the World Series is pretty good!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

So final ratings were adjusted up a tenth to put it at 1.5. Only a .2 loss vs. the World Series is pretty good!

That's because that World Series game was boring.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Wolvorine posted:

No genre show is perfect. I'm a big fan of police procedurals and seeing how unsecured their crime lab is makes a small part of my brain cry out. You need to put that poo poo aside and enjoy the show.

Xealot posted:

He's messed with the time stream a lot, I can see it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xealot posted:

And it's a smart move, too. DC doesn't really have an analog to Spider-Man, so they've repurposed Flash into one. Just pretend you're watching that, and this Barry Allen feels entirely appropriate.

DC has tons of Spider-Man analogues. Firestorm, to use someone talked about in the thread a lot, was a Spider-Man analogue. Static, to use a character that's getting his own show, is another. The developing young hero is a really popular theme in comics.

Zythrst posted:

Well considering the main thing about DC is infinite universes this is pretty dumb.

If anything the main thing is the exact opposite since the first time they made a big deal about infinite earths they wiped them all out and left their continuity with just one. And now there's only 52 alternate universes.

(Non-comic readers: this whole thing is incredibly confusing and incredibly stupid at all levels. Comic book fans have been banging their heads against the wall over this for thirty years. You really don't want to know about it.)

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
It's funny they're rumored to doing another Static Shock show, I got a very Bang Babies vibe from the origin of Flash and his villains in this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

DC has tons of Spider-Man analogues. Firestorm, to use someone talked about in the thread a lot, was a Spider-Man analogue. Static, to use a character that's getting his own show, is another. The developing young hero is a really popular theme in comics.

That's fair.

I just meant the specificity of a lithe, red-suited science geek with girl troubles, who gains superpowers in an accident and becomes a fun-loving hero who rescues civilians in jokey ways. It's not just Barry's youth, but the substantial tonal similarity they've thrown in there. Static is probably still like this, though, you're right.

The number of "wooooo" moments of Barry running around is already pretty wholesale aping Peter's web-slinging moments, though. It's Spider-Man if he worked with OsCorp instead of against it. And don't get me wrong, it's not a criticism. I think it's great.

• Locked thread