Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Sounds patriotic enough :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Zomborgon posted:

Nah, that uses *your* senses only. KSOV would impress the character's sense of balance and such upon your senses- if Link falls off a cliff in Twilight Princess, that doesn't mean you feel it, after all.

Though I imagine getting shot with a plasma rifle wouldn't feel like much. A brief heat, then nothing.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I've been watching Beagle's livestreams and videos with his usage of the Long War mod, and the way that mod seems to be developing, I would not use it. The developers of that mod seem determined to nerf almost every ability you get and boost everything the aliens get to do. Stuff like..

. Mechs can panic. Not to mention chain panicking, one trooper takes a single point of damage and suddenly three people are wetting themselves for the next couple of turns.
. Berserkers being able to jump is a thing now.
. They nerfed flamethrowers so targets don't autopanic now, they get a will save.
. The air game is a lot harder, you might need to throw 3 fighters at a single ufo to take it down, and they'll all need repairs for awhile. Hope you have a large air fleet.

These and constant ability rebalancing and changing around skill trees, as well as boosting enemy AI to make them even more dangerous (In his latest livestream he lost a very valuable sniper due to one alien wounding him, then a stalker uncloaked nearby and sniped him. Beagle actually left the computer for a few minutes he was so angry.)

I can appreciate that the purpose of the mod is to increase the difficulty and to be fair they've done a lot of interesting things like randomizing the start point in a lot of maps so you're not deploying at the same place all the time, or all the added gear and gadgets now included, those offer a lot more customization to your loadout. It's just that unless they add the ability to choose which options you want to use, or at least the ability to adjust some settings, the negatives far outweigh the positives in my book.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

IMJack posted:

Though I imagine getting shot with a plasma rifle wouldn't feel like much. A brief heat, then nothing.

PBF so good

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Rabidredneck posted:

I can appreciate that the purpose of the mod is to increase the difficulty and to be fair they've done a lot of interesting things like randomizing the start point in a lot of maps so you're not deploying at the same place all the time, or all the added gear and gadgets now included, those offer a lot more customization to your loadout. It's just that unless they add the ability to choose which options you want to use, or at least the ability to adjust some settings, the negatives far outweigh the positives in my book.
Having played a fair amount of Long War, I agree - it just feels like a slog. There's a few things I really like, but they're outweighed by the feeling that your troops are inept and useless. The 'improved' air combat is the thing that kills it for me, though - sure, it was very simple in XCOM, but it isn't exactly like that's the appeal of the game. In Long War, it's just... a very frustrating waste of time that you have to pour a lot of resources into. Or you'll lose.

A friend of mine described the air combat pretty well; they tried to have the air combat be like original XCOM. Which was all well and good, but in original XCOM you could swarm enemy ships with multiple of your own, and... you, well, can't, in Long War. And it doesn't work.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Oh god not the long war talk again. I thought we were past it. Don't make Jade close the thread again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wordsmalianism - sensafracationaxion. I'm smart.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rabidredneck posted:

I've been watching Beagle's livestreams and videos with his usage of the Long War mod, and the way that mod seems to be developing, I would not use it. The developers of that mod seem determined to nerf almost every ability you get and boost everything the aliens get to do. Stuff like..

. Mechs can panic. Not to mention chain panicking, one trooper takes a single point of damage and suddenly three people are wetting themselves for the next couple of turns.
. Berserkers being able to jump is a thing now.
. They nerfed flamethrowers so targets don't autopanic now, they get a will save.
. The air game is a lot harder, you might need to throw 3 fighters at a single ufo to take it down, and they'll all need repairs for awhile. Hope you have a large air fleet.

These and constant ability rebalancing and changing around skill trees, as well as boosting enemy AI to make them even more dangerous (In his latest livestream he lost a very valuable sniper due to one alien wounding him, then a stalker uncloaked nearby and sniped him. Beagle actually left the computer for a few minutes he was so angry.)

Please come to the regular XCOM thread for LW chat, we love to discuss it there! Many of your concerns have been addressed.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Part of me wonders if SHIVs can turn the valves and, if so, what an all SHIV ending cutscene to the dam mission would look like.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Emissary666 posted:

Part of me wonders if SHIVs can turn the valves and, if so, what an all SHIV ending cutscene to the dam mission would look like.

Probably like the final mission scene - devoid of life. The devs did not think of SHIVcom.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Which is really sad, because SHIVcom is best com. outside of MECom, but that was because explosions everywhere.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can confirm that SHIVs can turn the valves. Also that the end cutscene looks a little weird if the game picks your MEC trooper to be the one gesturing threateningly at Annette.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Dareon posted:

I can confirm that SHIVs can turn the valves. Also that the end cutscene looks a little weird if the game picks your MEC trooper to be the one gesturing threateningly at Annette.

The one who opens the truck and threatens Durand is the person in your first position (third from the left when you have 6). I always put my MEC in that spot for the mission, just for mysterious MEC pistol.

No idea what SHIVs would do to that if you put one of them in first position but you weren't all SHIVs, though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dareon posted:

Do you need hover SHIVs to get up the towers? I hope not, I want to see a regular SHIV do it's cute little bunnyhop and fly 30 feet straight up.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Chard posted:

I want to see a regular SHIV do it's cute little bunnyhop and fly 30 feet straight up.

I'm pretty sure they can't climb ladders. Still, that's not an obstacle to an all-SHIV cutscene. You don't need to hit those valves; they just give you an extra turn. Or you could just take one meatbag to deal with the towers and arrange for him to die before the end.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

zyxophoj posted:

I'm pretty sure they can't climb ladders. Still, that's not an obstacle to an all-SHIV cutscene. You don't need to hit those valves; they just give you an extra turn. Or you could just take one meatbag to deal with the towers and arrange for him to die before the end.

There's always Hover SHIVs

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's enough valves on the bridge itself that you'd probably have enough time for just plain old land SHIVs to make it through.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

64bitrobot posted:

There's always Hover SHIVs

Or you could do something less stupid than what I came up with, yes. I'm not sure what it says about me that my go-to method of solving the problem was to throw a sacrificial squaddie at it.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Yo Jade Star, you might want to check out the cilindrical doodad in the main engineering floor. Just saying.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did you hurt yourself dancing Jade? :ohdear:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Karate Bastard posted:

There is no Jade, only SHARKSHARKSHARK.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Don't worry about Jade: he's busy shooting nazis with an overpriced rifle and riding bikes in a warzone. :v:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Caustic Warrior

OR

Operation Banjo Kaboomy

Polsy

So I'd like to write something serious here... but gently caress it. It's EXALT and we don't even get a good clue either this time. So you know what, Ill just say that Skippy Granola is most of the reason to watch this video. If for nothing else, just give ol' Skippy a listen this one time and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Okay seriously, we do at least get a couple of new toys. Heavy Plasma is a nice step up in our firepower, but nothing really worthy of a lot of text. It will help James Dean and Hoss deal out the damage, and combined with HEAT ammo will be our number one stop for dealing with a certain heavily armored mechanized baddie. Sectopods. Cough. Also out on the field for the first time is Alex 'Shellshock' Johnson wearing Ghost Armor. Ghost Armor is essentially Skeleton Armor MK.II, now with added invisibility. Ghost Armor offers less raw protection than Titan Armor, but it enhances mobility, retains the grappling claw function, and comes with 4 charges of single turn invisibility. Very useful piece of gear that many players love and use as a primary armor choice. I feel I give it a little less credit and use than it may be due since I don't often utilize the invisibility aspect. The mobility and claw part of it though make it a great choice for quickly moving assaults around though.

Lastly, while I wrote about it a little in the skill selection segment, this is the first time I think we see Reactive Sensors in action on our MEC. It's not a huge deal, but I really do love how incredibly capable a colonel MEC is. Isobel is able to soak huge amounts of damage, boosh the biggest baddies, grenade launch clusters of lesser aliens, fire twice a turn if desired, collateral damage cover away from entrenched aliens, all while screwing over what ever is trying to shoot her by -20 aim. And now on top of that, the first thing that shoots at her gets a free retaliation shot. I love that skill. It really makes a high level MEC a serious force. The best part, is that our MEC chaises' are only level 2, there is still another upgrade to give them that will give them even more HP and a third weapon attachment.

Tangentially on the subject of MECs; I need to find out who the boobs are that guessed the lowest values in the Boosh Contest. You know, the guys that guessed numbers like 1-5. Cause we're already at 9 with way more game to go. Anyway, for those of you that guessed really, really, reallllly badly will be winning as many copies of Takedown: Red Sabre as Keket has spare copies of. Mercy upon your soul as I expect each of you to play it for 15-30 minutes as punishment for your terrible guesses.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Skippy, I forgive you for talking Jade out of dancing because I love you. <:mad:>

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
Ghost armor also gives you a nice +20% to your defense.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The movie in question is Guyver:Dark hero and it's much better than the first live action film. While that one was pretty cartoony with a lot of unnecessary humor, the David Hayter one had a serious plot and some kickass fight scenes.

So we're probably looking at three more covert ops before the Exalt base assault, one for each remaining country (unless the game decides to be REALLY generous?)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jade Star posted:

Tangentially on the subject of MECs; I need to find out who the boobs are that guessed the lowest values in the Boosh Contest. You know, the guys that guessed numbers like 1-5. Cause we're already at 9 with way more game to go. Anyway, for those of you that guessed really, really, reallllly badly will be winning as many copies of Takedown: Red Sabre as Keket has spare copies of. Mercy upon your soul as I expect each of you to play it for 15-30 minutes as punishment for your terrible guesses.

I said zero. But I don't have Steam, so I can't win anything. :holy:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
That banjo. :allears: God bless you, Skippy.

Jade Star posted:

Here's the spreadsheet back from page 93. Y'all with the crossed out numbers on the left should maybe re-guess?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's fixed.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 13, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rabidredneck posted:

The movie in question is Guyver:Dark hero and it's much better than the first live action film. While that one was pretty cartoony with a lot of unnecessary humor, the David Hayter one had a serious plot and some kickass fight scenes.

So we're probably looking at three more covert ops before the Exalt base assault, one for each remaining country (unless the game decides to be REALLY generous?)

after a certain amount of hints it just goes 'gently caress it it's here' as a hint

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

The current CEO of Apple is Tim Cook, who was born in Alabama, so you really missed out on making another joke on that theme. You could've tied it all back together.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I appreciated how quickly that episode went from zero to redneck rampage. Well done, sirs.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sheee-it, boy. You sure do got some mighty handsome licks there.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

At this point you should really just savescum to find the exalt base to speed the game along -- I mean its not like someone is going to croak from those fuzzballs. Although have Skippy do the soundtrack to all your videos, I really enjoyed hearing him mess around on his banjo.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
The dude in Marrakesh had a chicken on his head and a dove on the chicken, how did you forget that Skippy? And Canadian Amazing Race did go to inferior, other countries in season 2 - Hong Kong and France.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
This really was a very special episode. :allears:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
You want a bwamp-bwamp-bwamp noise? Hit a chord then flex the neck of the guitar/banjo gently.

Free Whammy Bar.

I loved the banjo by the way Skippy.

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 16, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man, 30 minutes of skippy granola banjo and shooting HYDRAEXALT. This is a good drat video. :allears:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The banjo is a perfectly cromulent instrument.

As are the bagpipes.

What I'm saying here is you should have a co-commentator playing the bagpipes on a video.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The added mobility, 20 defense, and grapple would make Ghost Armor a viable endgame competitor even if there was no other benefits. The invisibility just makes it broken as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, is there a way to readily access the boosh spreadsheet to find out the names of the poor souls?

• Locked thread