Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Who's Door Kickers? Obviously it's played from a top-down perspective, but does it scratch that Rainbox Six/SWAT tactical itch? Or is it more of a puzzle game?

It's cool. I'm not completely sold on the "draw your path" control scheme, similar to that of Ultimate General: Gettysburg, but other than that it's exactly what I wanted out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
According to Trent Oster, Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition is coming out one week from Thursday on 30 October. That's nice and all, but I imagine that it will be just like the BGEE games: initially buggy as a big buggalo bugging out to Bugtussle in a Volkswagen bug, and it will be probably be out on Steam for a year before it hits GOG, just like the BG games just did. I want to support the remakes - I genuinely think them a good idea - and all that, but I'm more than a bit irritated with Beamdog (year on, no BG2EE patch) and I know that I'll just end up getting the GOG version. I don't want to wait a year, but I'm kind of tired of Steam always getting preferential treatment after GOG has brought back and made playable so many games that were lost for ages.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Just finished Primordia and holy crap, what a great game. The puzzles, music, artwork, characters, everything was top notch. Also game gave me some serious Blade Runner vibes which is always a good thing.

How are the rest of Wadjet Eye games? I played through Resonance but it wasn't nearly as good, though it had its moments.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Neron posted:

Just finished Primordia and holy crap, what a great game. The puzzles, music, artwork, characters, everything was top notch. Also game gave me some serious Blade Runner vibes which is always a good thing.

How are the rest of Wadjet Eye games? I played through Resonance but it wasn't nearly as good, though it had its moments.

I love the Blackwell series (haven't played Epiphany yet) and liked Gemini Rue. There are a few sections of GR with combat that turned a lot of people off, but I thought it was decent.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neron posted:

The Blackwell games are their own in-house series and in my opinion basically gets better with each sequel. The Shiva is also made by them and while its fairly short and not as consistently good throughout as the Blackwell games its subject matter is pretty unique and is worth a sale price.

Gemini Rue is a bit odd in that it includes quasi-cover shooting sections and while I didn't find them nearly as disagreeable as some I also wouldn't call them good either. That said its not like they're huge portions of the game, most of it is purely traditional puzzle solving and talking and while the plot itself is a bit of a mess it comes through on its characters I think.

Primordia is the cream of the crop so far though, so just be aware that everything else outside the Blackwell games is some kind of step down from that :v:

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks, I'll be checking out the Blackwell series and Gemini Rue then. Should keep me occupied for a good while.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I really enjoyed Resonance and recommend that as well. The story was really good and it had a hell of a third act twist.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

According to Trent Oster, Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition is coming out one week from Thursday on 30 October. That's nice and all, but I imagine that it will be just like the BGEE games: initially buggy as a big buggalo bugging out to Bugtussle in a Volkswagen bug, and it will be probably be out on Steam for a year before it hits GOG, just like the BG games just did. I want to support the remakes - I genuinely think them a good idea - and all that, but I'm more than a bit irritated with Beamdog (year on, no BG2EE patch) and I know that I'll just end up getting the GOG version. I don't want to wait a year, but I'm kind of tired of Steam always getting preferential treatment after GOG has brought back and made playable so many games that were lost for ages.

Last I heard, the BG2EE patch is supposed to drop around the same time as IDEE but, we'll see if that is the case.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
How do the Betrayal games (Betrayal in Krondor, Betrayal in Antara, Return to Krondor) hold up?

I considered picking them up when they went on sale. However, a lot of the reviews cite technical issues with Betrayal in Antara, so I was curious if anyone had played it and ran into any issues.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Max Wilco posted:

How do the Betrayal games (Betrayal in Krondor, Betrayal in Antara, Return to Krondor) hold up?

I considered picking them up when they went on sale. However, a lot of the reviews cite technical issues with Betrayal in Antara, so I was curious if anyone had played it and ran into any issues.

Betrayal at Krondor is fun, although the graphics obviously show their age (21 years now).

Betrayal at Antara isn't worth playing - it's the same engine as Krondor but without the Midkemia license or Feist's involvement (he eventually novelized both Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor). Since the story was the best part of Betrayal at Krondor, that doesn't help at all.

Return to Krondor I can't remember at all, which is probably a bad sign. This one did have Feist again, though, so it might just be my memory going.

For $6 I'd pick up the Betrayal at Krondor pack. If you like it, pick up Return to Krondor.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ulmont posted:

Betrayal at Krondor is fun, although the graphics obviously show their age (21 years now).

Betrayal at Antara isn't worth playing - it's the same engine as Krondor but without the Midkemia license or Feist's involvement (he eventually novelized both Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor). Since the story was the best part of Betrayal at Krondor, that doesn't help at all.

Return to Krondor I can't remember at all, which is probably a bad sign. This one did have Feist again, though, so it might just be my memory going.

For $6 I'd pick up the Betrayal at Krondor pack. If you like it, pick up Return to Krondor.

I seem to recall that Feist basically just signed off on the Betrayal at Krondor story; it was actually written by the developer (who was a fan of Feist's work).

Edit, yep:

God-damned Wikipedia posted:

Although the game was licensed from Raymond E. Feist, a long held myth was that the text and the story of the game were actually created by Feist himself. Feist states in his afterword to Krondor: The Betrayal that he was busy writing The King's Buccaneer during the game's production and that the plot, text, and new characters were created solely by designers Neal Hallford and John Cutter. Feist did have editorial final say on the game, but most of what Hallford and Cutter created was left intact.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2014

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ulmont posted:

And it still looks better than Betrayal in Antara, because that game looked like complete garbage even when it came out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Betrayal at Kondor is really from another era, its manual had a list of characters and all of them were photos taken of real dudes in costumes and props.

Locklear's my favorite.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

OAquinas posted:

I seem to recall that Feist basically just signed off on the Betrayal at Krondor story; it was actually written by the developer (who was a fan of Feist's work).

Edit, yep:

The whole "Feist wrote it" was definitely implied in the Sierra newsmagazine (or InterAction, whatever it was at the time). In fact, Betrayal was what got me into the Riftwar books. Imagine my surprise when I found out what happened to Locklear in the series. He dies off-screen, which sucked because I thought he was a main character

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peas and Rice posted:

Imagine my surprise when I found out what happened to Locklear in the series. He dies off-screen, which sucked because I thought he was a main character

I was equally taken aback, and stopped reading Feist (not really due to this, though) after King's Buccaneer. Locklear really came into his own in Darkness at Sethanon and was fleshed out in Prince of the Blood, so his suddden, less-than-stellar death that seemed like almost an afterthought really grated on me.

I had similar sentiments about Fyodor if you have ever read any Elaine Cunningham.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Peas and Rice posted:

The whole "Feist wrote it" was definitely implied in the Sierra newsmagazine (or InterAction, whatever it was at the time). In fact, Betrayal was what got me into the Riftwar books.
Not to turn this into book chat, but are the Riftwar books worth reading? I picked up Krondor: The Betrayal, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I've heard it's not as good as Feist's earlier books.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Not to turn this into book chat, but are the Riftwar books worth reading? I picked up Krondor: The Betrayal, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I've heard it's not as good as Feist's earlier books.

game novelization books are always hit or miss. example: the baldur's gate novels.

riftwars series:
Do you like Mary-Sue main characters?
If so, read away.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Max Wilco posted:

From what I've heard, the earlier ones are good, but then it falls into the DBZ-esque power creep sinkhole.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Magician is OK but that's 12-year-old me's memories.

I remember thinking at the time that it read like someone's D&D campaign and that's apparently exactly what it was.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peas and Rice posted:

Magician is OK but that's 12-year-old me's memories.

I remember thinking at the time that it read like someone's D&D campaign and that's apparently exactly what it was.

I would actually call Magician: Master my favourite fantasy novel ever, in any universe by any author. Just re-read it a few years ago (in my 30's) and it's still excellent.

OAquinas posted:

From what I've heard, the earlier ones are good, but then it falls into the DBZ-esque power creep sinkhole.

I enjoyed all of them up to King's Buccaneer when I stopped for no particular reason, but just reading synopses of the later ones gave me that impression. The earlier books had a realistic quasi-medieval setting mixed with a healthy but not overwhelming dose of fantasy and sorcery. The later ones seem to have jumped the proverbial shark somewhat.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JustJeff88 posted:

The earlier books had a realistic quasi-medieval setting mixed with a healthy but not overwhelming dose of fantasy and sorcery. The later ones seem to have jumped the proverbial shark somewhat.

Somewhat. But the next series - and particularly Shadow of a Dark Queen - has a pretty nice Dirty Dozen feel to it.

After that, it's all more and more power creep and layer upon layer of pants-making GBS threads-eldritch-horror (which, in fairness, started from the very first book, and was well in place by A Darkness at Sethanon).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

JustJeff88 posted:

According to Trent Oster, Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition is coming out one week from Thursday on 30 October. That's nice and all, but I imagine that it will be just like the BGEE games: initially buggy as a big buggalo bugging out to Bugtussle in a Volkswagen bug[..]

Initially and maybe forever if what you said here is true:

JustJeff88 posted:

(year on, no BG2EE patch)

Have they said anything about this? Are they still going to do the patch, or has it been Duke Nukem Forevered?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 23, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Edit: sorry, wrong thing

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wouldn't trust a company like Beamdog with anything. Relying on them for post-release support and patches is wishful thinking in my opinion -- they just moved into the next project.

Either way, here's a new release: Supreme Ruler 2010 (2005) for $6. I imagine most people who would want this have bought it on Steam at some point or another, however.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Saoshyant posted:

Either way, here's a new release: Supreme Ruler 2010 (2005) for $6. I imagine most people who would want this have bought it on Steam at some point or another, however.

Oh man, this is several generations old in a series that has always needed more time to bake in the oven. I can't imagine playing it today with so many alternatives out there that are more stable and more intuitive by miles.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Has anyone heard or seen anything about Halfway? I enjoy turn-based strategy and I like the art style, but I'm debating whether to get it now or wait until the Christmas sales.

But yes, Beamdog is full of crap. I wonder if they are so obtuse out of stupidity, malice, or feeling like they can get away with murder because they "brought back" some classic RPGs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone heard or seen anything about Halfway? I enjoy turn-based strategy and I like the art style, but I'm debating whether to get it now or wait until the Christmas sales.

This is what I'm asking.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

But yes, Beamdog is full of crap. I wonder if they are so obtuse out of stupidity, malice, or feeling like they can get away with murder because they "brought back" some classic RPGs.

GOG tends to avoid putting newly released titles in their sales event. by newly released, i mean on gog for less than 3-5 months.
halfway will probably go on sale during the GOG 2015 summer sale.

beamdog is very weird.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Krondor holds up really well, IMO; the graphics haven't aged well, but it relies heavily on text descriptions for items and actions, which both adds to the "playing a book" feel and keeps the graphics from dragging it down. And the gameplay is legitimately fun with exactly the sort of power curve I enjoy.

Disclaimer: this is based on the freeware floppy version, not the GOG release. The GOG version apparently has CD music (which sounds better than the MIDI music but doesn't loop :argh:) and fixes the intermittent but game-killing bug that plagued the floppy version (and is the reason I've never finished BaK). One of these days I'm going to fire up the GOG version and actually finish it.

Antara and Return I haven't played, but what little I've heard about them hasn't been flattering.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tuluk posted:

GOG tends to avoid putting newly released titles in their sales event. by newly released, i mean on gog for less than 3-5 months.
halfway will probably go on sale during the GOG 2015 summer sale.

beamdog is very weird.

You're right - this is the lead-in to Christmas (My God does it hurt to admit that) and I have a feeling that some of my desired recent releases aren't going to be on the Christmas festivities, like Wasteland 2. I'm hoping, but not optimistic for Original Sin but I'd say that Shovel Knight is a fairly safe bet.

I may be better off just buying this; I've spent just under $10 on much stupider poo poo.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Hooooly poo poo. I might just have to jump on this come payday:

https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Every Apogee/3D Realms game sans Max Payne and Prey for $20. DRM-Free digital download. Even has a bonus soundtrack.

I think this is the closest I will ever get to a Steam Anthology I have literally been waiting YEARS for.

Edit: That price is only good for 48 hours, but there's still 30+ hours left. I only know this because I just bought it. Hop on it ASAP since it will go up to $40.

Edit #2: Registration and payment was painless. Looks like you can download the games individually or the whole anthology at once (I did the latter because I am soooo saving multiple copies of this). The anthology is a ~500MB download of a single .exe and the soundtrack is a ~800MB .zip file. The anthology unpacked is 907MB. Looks like they are all pre-configured with the latest version of DOSBox, which is 0.74 (no surprise there).

The reason the soundtrack size is so big is that it comes in three formats: MP3, FLAC, and 24-bit WAV files. Cool!

It just installed and ran fine under Windows 8.1. The launcher has all of the games in mini GOG-like game boxes with a vertical slider on the right-hand side to scroll down to the rest of the games. Going to test them out later.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 24, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Charles Martel posted:

Hooooly poo poo. I might just have to jump on this come payday:

https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Every Apogee/3D Realms game sans Max Payne and Prey for $20. DRM-Free digital download. Even has a bonus soundtrack.

I think this is the closest I will ever get to a Steam Anthology I have literally been waiting YEARS for.

Thanks Charles; you just cost me $20.

I almost never use this term, but I just looked at this deal and I'm going to say that it's kind of epic. Just wow.

Edit: I wonder why Max Payne and Prey aren't included. They're easily available at various places... I assume that it's legal bullshit.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 24, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Rockstar has owned Max Payne for a while now. Don't know about Prey.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks Charles; you just cost me $20.

I almost never use this term, but I just looked at this deal and I'm going to say that it's kind of epic. Just wow.

Edit: I wonder why Max Payne and Prey aren't included. They're easily available at various places... I assume that it's legal bullshit.

You're welcome. :)

Yeah, most likely legal bullshit. I still have both of them in my Steam account when they were available years ago.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Rockstar has owned Max Payne for a while now. Don't know about Prey.

That would be Bethesda.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have the Prey Collectors Edition with tin case, art book and Pewter figures.

I may or may not have gotten it for $10 from a bargain bin.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

That would be Bethesda.
Oh duh, yeah, I forgot. I hope Arkane is actually working on Prey 2 because Dishonored: Space Bounty Hunter would be really rad.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 24, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have the Prey Collectors Edition with tin case, art book and Pewter figures.

I may or may not have gotten it for $10 from a bargain bin.

I have Prey and all 3 Max Payne games on Steam (2 is my favourite), I just wondered about the legal shenanigans.

As can be seen here, it is a 48-hour special. I'm getting it in hopes that they have better controls for the Blake Stone games. You can play almost all of those games (Wolfenstein/Doom/Heretic etc) with WASD controls these days, but not Blake Stone. They're good games, if rather hard, but trying to play with old-time controls is just impossible for me.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Trip report form testing out the Anthology:

Oh God. After testing out Bio-Menace, Major Stryker, Wolf 3D, and Wacky Wheels, my nostalgia hard-on could cut diamonds. The music, the graphics, everything... :gizz:

All the games I've tried so far require zero configuration. They launch in full screen and sound and play beautifully. I think even Wolf3D is the fully un-altered version that Apogee used to re-sell back in the day too (the version in the id Anthology on Steam censored out some screens in the "Read This! section and took out the Aardwolf icon in the infamous maze in Episode 2 or 3). Some games have the option to view the game's manual right from the launcher and some don't. The sub-folder for the anthology under Program Files has the game neatly organized in their own folders.

This is a dream come true. Probably the best $20 I've spent in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

So, we're going to see a new publisher in 4 days or so? Any hints were dropped?