Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Are croberts and sandy married/lovers? was this ever figured out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Justin Tyme posted:

Are croberts and sandy married/lovers? was this ever figured out?

All of CIG is one giant Heinleinesque love pit.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Question: Will there be 1-shot kills, or are people damage-sponges in the FPS?

Answer: There certainly will be 1 shot kills but it all depends on your armor, weapon and ammo type.

source: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3665862/#Comment_3665862

Also, apparently if you move too quickly in zero g (in your ship) you will kill yourself.

All of this makes the DayZ in me happy.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Octopode posted:

All of CIG is one giant Heinleinesque love pit.

But with more tentacles.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

From the AMA

Q: Can you provide an example of the kind of gameplay experience you're looking for? Maybe a description of what an encounter between two players might be like in terms of lethality, weapons used, moves used, length of play, etc?

A: there are so many. lets just pull one randomly from the sky. A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....

This actually sounds fantastic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Black Dynamite posted:

From the AMA

Q: Can you provide an example of the kind of gameplay experience you're looking for? Maybe a description of what an encounter between two players might be like in terms of lethality, weapons used, moves used, length of play, etc?

A: there are so many. lets just pull one randomly from the sky. A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....

Does the Z) option sounds fantastic? Because that is what will happen literally every single time after the first week of release.

I can't believe that people can read poo poo like that and take it even remotely seriously.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Black Dynamite posted:

From the AMA

Clearly the best question asked by the best questioner.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You can do anything you want in Star Citizen, welcome to Star Citizen.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Chomp8645 posted:

Does the Z) option sounds fantastic? Because that is what will happen literally every single time after the first week of release.

I can't believe that people can read poo poo like that and take it even remotely seriously.

People are stupid and lazy and repeat mistakes even if you tell them off about it... Alone in a crate sounds like a bad idea unless you can wear a stealthy string garment that allows to wiggle your arse to great effect to overcome any potential scanning downfall scenarios.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Black Dynamite posted:

From the AMA

sounds too good to be true

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Broccoli Cat posted:

the story of star citizen

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rastor posted:

the story of star citizen

The story has been concluded for it is neither true, nor good

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

While my first instinct is to agree with your conclusion, it does hinge on the assumption of "surely the pubbies will learn". And yet, Jita burns each year.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star Citizen - Faster Than Loans

Reddit AMA posted:

Q: Will you be able to damage a ships systems from the inside intentionally or non-intentionally?
A: Absolutely!
Q Follow-Up: Would you be able to elaborate on how you see the details of that working?
A: There are various systems in a ship, gravity, power, oxygen, various hazards, your engine, shields, etc. - when you start playing with power in the ship, for example, you can accidentally overload a system and have to run and fix it! or you could... 'accidentally' throw a grenade into an unprotected gravity generator :P

I see they sat down with Chris Roberts and got a lesson in 'yes'!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Black Dynamite posted:

From the AMA

That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There is no universe in which that is good gameplay or design. The entire scenario has so many holes in it you could confuse it for a loving aurora in the AC. It's so dumb I assumed the whole thing was a joke in the style of the 10 for the Beer God.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Courthouse posted:

While my first instinct is to agree with your conclusion, it does hinge on the assumption of "surely the pubbies will learn". And yet, Jita burns each year.

There are people that fall over and over for money doubling scams, people that hand over literally hundreds of dollars' worth of in-game currency and items every few months to the same exact scams, etc. Pubbies do not learn, ever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Courthouse posted:

You say this as if it's a joke and not something that has in fact already happened.

What ever happened to that NATO-type good-guy alliance that we goons (under what banner I have no idea) then tried to join, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The FPS portion of Star Citizen sounds awesome, but so did the original pitch for Star Citizen, and we see how much of that "vision" has changed (been discarded) already. My main question would be, what other games has Ilfonic Redacted worked on, to show us their experience in the field.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Injuries

quote:

Absolutely, your limb damage will have severe impacts on how the mechanics work - and it is limb specific too, not just an overall of 'oh youre kind of hurt'. For example, if your left arm is hurt but you throw grenades with your right, your right throw won't really be impacted.

it is planned for players to choose their dominant hand it will have a direct impact resulting from limb damage.

It's a mixture of all 3, your limbs all equal a total health but those limb states will have an impact on how quickly your overall health dwindles and bleeding out is a state that can happen if any limb is 'ruined', which can make you die rather quickly.

I dont know about limb severing as that enters gore territory but your limbs will certainly be 'ruined' and therefore useless and need to be replaced with a fake limb.

There certainly will be some gains to having a cybernetic limb for certain elements. This puts you at risk in other areas too, especially from EMP type damage or radiation/laser weaponry.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DatonKallandor posted:

That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There is no universe in which that is good gameplay or design. The entire scenario has so many holes in it you could confuse it for a loving aurora in the AC. It's so dumb I assumed the whole thing was a joke in the style of the 10 for the Beer God.

That thing sounds awesome. The fact that they probably won't pull it off nearly as well as they're saying is one thing, but the ideas are great.

You could explain why it's bad though.....

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

What ever happened to that NATO-type good-guy alliance that we goons (under what banner I have no idea) then tried to join, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

TCAP has long claimed cultural victory over the fascist organization PACT, which has disintegrated into petty infighting long before the game has released decided to hold a low profile for now.

No loving joke, I made a silly video for my fake spaceship group and the whole organization loving imploded.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Broccoli Cat posted:

The ships are fake, the tears are real

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

3 posted:

No loving joke, I made a silly video for my fake spaceship group and the whole organization loving imploded.

That video is so hype.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

The FPS portion of Star Citizen sounds awesome, but so did the original pitch for Star Citizen, and we see how much of that "vision" has changed (been discarded) already. My main question would be, what other games has Ilfonic Redacted worked on, to show us their experience in the field.

I don't think anyone reasonable thinks any game will ever live up it's "vision". CIG gave people carte blanche to dream, clearly a lot of people were unable to keep their dreaming to within the bounds of realistic game development capabilities. If they say there will be a "deep fps damage system", and you dream up how you will get to play doctor mending bones and stitching fully modeled severed arteries, instead of just meaning if you get shot your aim gets shaky. That is on you, in my opinion.

Provided one is capable of avoiding run away hype feedback loop fever dreams, the answers from illfonic so far look fairly good. With a design philosophy that moves away from run and gun bunnyhopping, and more towards ARMA. Causing FPS to take on a more deliberate and thoughtful tone.

Of course, they can definitely gently caress it up. And lots of stuff will probably play less cool than it sounded in your head, but I like the way the design intent is leaning.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

3 posted:

That video never is less than amazing. Most of the time it is more.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

oh my god gently caress this stupid game, do any of them have any idea how extremely frustratingly bad this sort of gameplay is?

I tried some zombie mod for Arma 3 called Breaking Point that had a broken leg/can't-sprint-when-injured mechanic and it literally forces you to crawl everywhere and they only thing that can fix it is a rare medical item. In a game where the world size is like 300KM^2. The kind of retards that love these mechanics are a cancer to game design.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
A good game (*cough*Angels Fall First*cough*) would keep this stuff extremely limited and make such injuries very easy to fix by consumables (cost: time and limited supply) and other players (cost: having another player care about your dumb rear end) and generally keep respawns in an ultra-high lethality FPS environment very quick and more about field control than "You get shot. You die. You respawn in a different star system and maybe have to make a new character to inherit your old stuff.". But of course this is Star Citizen where everything has to be "realistic" (except where Chris Roberts decides to gently caress with reality for his "vision") so good design comes...2nd? No 2nd is pulling money out of people's pockets. 3rd?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 24, 2014

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

oh my god gently caress this stupid game, do any of them have any idea how extremely frustratingly bad this sort of gameplay is?

I tried some zombie mod for Arma 3 called Breaking Point that had a broken leg/can't-sprint-when-injured mechanic and it literally forces you to crawl everywhere and they only thing that can fix it is a rare medical item. In a game where the world size is like 300KM^2. The kind of retards that love these mechanics are a cancer to game design.

um, some of us are actually trying to make friends in our guilds by allowing them to shoot off parts of our bodies because we want cool prosthetics

try to find the silver lining instead of being so darn negative about stuff

if I was forced to crawl (and for some reason didn't want to) I would just blow myself up with a grenade and respawn somewhere

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
One of the fan sites updated the current roadmap, I've not been following all the delays recently so not sure how accurate it is (It's all going to slip again anyway).

Reposting some of it as it's unusual to see anything on release estimates anymore and these are always good to look back on later and gaze in awe at how anyone could be so widely optimistic.

Schedule Shock: Patch 13.2 and Beyond

quote:

It's clear that someone has gone through looking at what needs to be done and dumped some cold hard reality on to the estimated schedules. There also also recent efforts to "retool" the production pipelines to make them more efficient. Perhaps if successful, these estimate delivery dates could be beaten for once, although that would be fairly unheard of at CIG.

(Side effect of this has been some loss of beloved personnel, we've already noticed that Chris Olivia has quietly left the company, and there seems to be more of this type of news coming. The Citizen Star is in contact with CIG and tracking this closely.)

Delays

In Episode 42 of 10 For the Chairman Ep 42, Chris Roberts referred to delivering the first chapter of Squadron 42 in late 2015 to backers. This is the same deliverable that at last Pax East was end of this year to March.

Arena Commander 3.0 isn't on that slide because the road map doesn't extend into 2016. We are looking at the first, likely primitive, PU alphas maybe at the end of 2015.

It's worth noting that Squadron 42 is supposed to drop 4 additional chapters, one every 3 months. Meaning complete near the end of 2016. Not sure if it is still true, but Squadron 42 was supposed to be complete before the PU went beta.

A 2017 release is looking more and more likely.

Patch 14 (Arena Commander v1.0)

Chris had said two months from Gamescom was the estimated release date at the time, but now we seem to be hoping for before the end of 2014.

FPS Module

Expecting to see a reveal and demo of the work done so far (and likely more details of the scope of the module) at the CIG Event at PAX Australia, Oct. 28th 2014 (Date wrong here it's November 1). This is the first release deliverable listed for 2015 in the roadmap, so hopefully Q1.

Planetside(Social) Module Hat Module

Several recent comments in different contexts have placed this module into next year. It had been slated earlier, but various work has pushed it back. Second deliverable of the 2015 roadmap. Something around South by Southwest (SXSW) in March? In a recent Around the Verse, Ben and Sandi mentioned SXSW as being a really big deal for Star Citizen. It is still unclear what this module entails, but clearly the Terra and ArcCom Landing zones will be featured. Avatar customization may be seen here? Citizen Con 2014 showed a number of features that we can hope for, MobiGlas and attire, hats. Layered clothing.

Release

Final Ship for Star Citizen PU can be reasonably estimated anywhere between Q1 of 2016 and sometime 2017. Really up in the air at this point, as there is a lot of ground to cover and much of the work is still in planning stages.

If his two year wide window for final release wasn't clear enough, his disclaimer at the end shows how confident he is in all that.

quote:

NOTE: All date estimates from CIG are subject to change. Citizen Star News has no additional knowledge on dates outside of public comments. CIG was contacted for comment but has so far not opted to do so. The work CIG is doing is groundbreaking, pushing into new territory and the agile methodology they use does not lend itself to hard dates.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

This is also what DayZ does, and it's part of what makes it amazing. I guess/hope they'll have an more traditional arena-style fps section (like arena commander) for those who don't like the intensity/realism/frustration, but just want to shoot mans all day.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

This is also what DayZ does, and it's part of what makes it amazing. I guess/hope they'll have an more traditional arena-style fps section (like arena commander) for those who don't like the intensity/realism/frustration, but just want to shoot mans all day.

Except Day Z doesn't take place in a goddamn titanium tube like Star Citizen will be?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Broccoli Cat posted:

um, some of us are actually trying to make friends in our guilds by allowing them to shoot off parts of our bodies because we want cool prosthetics

I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to monetize bionics, it's going to be insanely popular.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Naturally Selected posted:

There are people that fall over and over for money doubling scams, people that hand over literally hundreds of dollars' worth of in-game currency and items every few months to the same exact scams, etc. Pubbies do not learn, ever.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Isn't the whole loving POINT of Agile that you get as far as you can in a set timeframe and whatever you finish is what that part is? The only agile thing about this whole thing seems to be CIG's ability to dodge deadlines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
New Post: Travis Day covers how starships actually get made.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

tarbrush posted:

Isn't the whole loving POINT of Agile that you get as far as you can in a set timeframe and whatever you finish is what that part is?

No that is not how the agile development process works.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hybridfusion posted:

No that is not how the agile development process works.

I have been misled by my boss then.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

tarbrush posted:

I have been misled by my boss then.

Yeah he has been telling you lies

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
Everyone start saving up your paychecks,

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/193428/the-next-concept-sale-is

Only $85! It's practically free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hybridfusion posted:

Everyone start saving up your paychecks,

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/193428/the-next-concept-sale-is

Only $85! It's practically free.

The funny thing is that the Herald is a specialty ship designed for info running. It's a virtual cargo ship. In SC communication is done through jump buoys that carry messages, and normally they jump at set intervals. Using a data courier lets you move a message faster and more securely.

So people will be paying $85 to be virtual mail deliverers.

• Locked thread