Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If she's a professional massage therapist I'm sure she's already used to massaging all kinds of gross people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So if you're not watching LSV's stream right now, you're missing this:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

It's glorious :allears:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Best Chun Li and if you disagree I don't even wanna talk to you.

He's the #1 Chun Li player online, at least, and also the #1 or 2 Poison. :stare: Dude owns and has a great attitude about his life.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GonSmithe posted:

Just played the most tilting round of Magic I have ever played.

I win game 1 really really easily, but see he has two Arrow Storms. Uh oh.
Game 2, I keep a hand with Abzan Charm, two Abzan Guides (of which I have 4), plains, swamp, swamp, and the Outlast guy that costs B. Over 7 turns of surviving, I drew no other lands. Whatever, I can win game 3.
I stabilize early with a 6/6 Abzan Guide thanks to Dragonscale Boon, but then he plays the 5/4 Mardu guy so I lose an favorable attacks, so I just draw some other stuff, play Abzan Guide, etc. By this point I'm at 47 life or something ridiculous like that. Then he plays Butcher of the Horde. "Okay, I have Kill Shot, Abzan Charm, and Murderous Cut" in my deck, I say. 10 turns later, nothing but lands. I have a Parapet and a Mardu Hateblade against his Butcher. I draw Charm, kill it. I end up Parapet'ing him down to 2 life, swing in with Hateblade. He Mardu Charms, makes 2 1/1 guys, kills the hateblade. He attacks with both, I block and parapet him to 1, I go to 5. One card in his hand. Arrow Storm.

:suicide:

Arrow Storm is... well, not an unfair card by any means, but dang does it have some feelbad potential. It essentially gives the reach of Lava Axe in an aggressive limited deck, except it's so much more of a no-brainer than Lava Axe because it can target creatures. At least if you were drafting an aggressive deck around the 'dome the last 5-10 points with Lava Axe' plan, you were going in on that plan with a card that was pretty bad when it didn't actually kill your opponent.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't have any issues with 3 other Twitch streams today, is it just me or is LSV's actual Twitch stream coming in extremely low resolution? How is that screenshot so high res?

EDIT: Oh, duh. Thanks, sarmhan.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 25, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Switch from 'High' to 'Source'

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

sarmhan posted:

Switch from 'High' to 'Source'

I am also bad at clicking buttons ty.

Also I figured out my problem with nummies stream music. It's all pop singles. No B sides, no weird tracks, just radio singles. And yes I am a horrible music snot so it's prob 50/50

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 25, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

GonSmithe posted:

:aaaaa: holy poo poo that deck is amazing

edit: andrew cuneo's banner deck is amazing

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 25, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Sultai Control on SCG stream right now. We might see a Villainous Wealth vs. R/G Monsters!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

edit: andrew cuneo's banner deck is amazing

Where's this?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

LSV played cuneo in a vintage 2-man with him playing workshops, moxes, cluestones and banners. That's it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Devor posted:

Sultai Control on SCG stream right now. We might see a Villainous Wealth vs. R/G Monsters!

Not very impressive performance overall, but did manage to do one for X=4 and hit Polukranos and Fanatic of Xenagos

E: Second one for X=4 hit Caryatid, Mystic, Lightning strike

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

Tune in, hear like 5 minutes after tuning in: "I can get back cranial archive with Warden of the Eye"

:allears: LSV :allears:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
RIP LSV defeated by a stream sniper.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Everything about LSV is amazing, he's such a great ambassador for the game. He's a pretty big part of why my return to the game stuck, his content is fantastic and he's got such a great sense of humor. In one of his recent video series on CFB you can see him doing his deck teck and the top five decks in his deck list are "Anti Cheon."

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

PleasantDirge posted:

Also I figured out my problem with nummies stream music. It's all pop singles. No B sides, no weird tracks, just radio singles. And yes I am a horrible music snot so it's prob 50/50

Agreed. Why bother streaming music if literally anyone could just turn to the top 40 station and hear the exact same stuff?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Count Bleck posted:

Best Chun Li and if you disagree I don't even wanna talk to you.

I think the highlight of my FNM this week was ramping into turn 2 Knuckleblade twice and turn 2 Temur Ascendancy Turn 3 Knuckleblade once. Shutting the game out in 3 turns is pretty amazing when you have the image of Polukranos come crashing in on turn 4 with Haste. :getin:

I'm just so glad the clan is called "The Temur Frontier" because now I get to say "Everyone's bigger on the Frontier" and it's Not Wrong.

My highlight this week was while playing Subsligh mono red against a friend playing robots. I had lethal on the board and him only Chandra while we had no cards in either of our hands, then he +0's Chandra and flips over the top card to cast. loving Anger of the Gods. Then he plinked me to death with her +1 while I drew no hasters and only 1/1s or pump spells. It was a nailbiting set overall though so we had a good time, he even bought me a pint afterwards because of how bad he felt.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rabidsquid posted:

Everything about LSV is amazing, he's such a great ambassador for the game. He's a pretty big part of why my return to the game stuck, his content is fantastic and he's got such a great sense of humor. In one of his recent video series on CFB you can see him doing his deck teck and the top five decks in his deck list are "Anti Cheon."

Pretty big agreement here, LSV is a lot of fun to watch and I bet he's fun in person too. He's a very nice, laid back guy who clearly enjoys playing Magic a lot, and despite being incredibly skilled he's very even tempered (depressing how often the default assumption is that these two don't go together).

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Lol, legacy owns. This is the board state and I have 4 bolts in my hand. I decide to shortcut it and just put all 4 on the stack because 4 bolts lol. I managed to win later on by drawing chain lightnings and snapcasters, but try and guess how the guy took no damage this turn.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Bonus posted:

Lol, legacy owns. This is the board state and I have 4 bolts in my hand. I decide to shortcut it and just put all 4 on the stack because 4 bolts lol. I managed to win later on by drawing chain lightnings and snapcasters, but try and guess how the guy took no damage this turn.

Flusterstorm?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Crop rotation into glacial chasm.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

Crop rotation into glacial chasm.
Haha bingo! Loam decks don't usually run Flusterstorm. So yeah, don't just put stuff on the stack all at once for no reason is what I learned from this.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Bonus posted:

Haha bingo! Loam decks don't usually run Flusterstorm. So yeah, don't just put stuff on the stack all at once for no reason is what I learned from this.

In paper, if you just say "play 4 lightning bolts," without specifying that you're holding priority, isn't the default assumption that you're waiting for each to resolve before playing the next, in case the opponent has a response?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No way. That sounds like holding priority to me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

On the Eternal stream, the UR burn guy fireblasts his opponent that is at 15 to get three more cards in the bin for Treasure Cruise. Fair magic card

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Not sure. In paper, I'd usually go bolt? then wait for my opponent to say OK before proceeding with another bolt. Paper magic has some weird interactions like that, like for instance when you ask your opponent exactly how many copies of Deceiver Exarch they're making and then all of a sudden they decide they're playing around all sorts of stuff when previously they were just like "combo, do i win?"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I think what it would be legal to do in paper is just fan the four bolts at your opponent, without claiming to cast them, and see if they scoop. If they shrug and wait for you to start playing them out, then you know they probably have shenanigans.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK flashing your opponent the win from your hand is acceptable as a "shortcut" in tournaments.)

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I couldn't find anything in the comp rules, but the tournament policy has this to say:

Whenever a player adds an object to the stack, he or she is assumed to be passing priority unless he or she explicitly announces that he or she intends to retain it. If he or she adds a group of objects to the stack without explicitly retaining priority and a player wishes to take an action at a point in the middle, the actions should be reversed up to that point.

This blog post clarifies the reasoning behind it. I still wouldn't try it at a random FNM in case they have a bad judge, though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wait, so you could lie about your play to bait something out then do something completely different after the first spell? That seems good to know.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Wait, so you could lie about your play to bait something out then do something completely different after the first spell? That seems good to know.

Well, it's not lying about your play insofar as you're representing 'I want to play four Lightning Bolts, one after the other' and if your opponent doesn't do anything in response, you can't suddenly call takebacksies on yourself. But you're not obligated to still cast the last two Lightning Bolts if they back it up and do something after the second one that suddenly makes the last two a bad idea. That's what I get out of it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

You are allowed to reveal cards from your hand without casting them in paper.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It is something that is just sloppy play and poor form though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
So let me get this straight, revealing the cards aside, because that seems like fair to mindgames someone with, you could say you were playing four bolts, if they counter the first one play something more important in response and keep the rest of the bolts? Could you just say you were casting something that you didn't even have if you aren't obligated to actually play it?

Ok, here's an example: my opponent has dispel in hand. Can I say I'm playing 4 instants, order them from most important to least, see what they counter and drop a creature with flash, say a snapcaster instead of everything after their counter?

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you tap mana and put a card on the table you're going to have a hard time telling a judge you didn't actually cast it yet.

When you cast a spell, you still have priority, you can add another spell to the stack without your opponent getting a chance to respond. So if you tap RRRR and throw four lightning bolts on the table, the assumption is going to be that you cast them all in a row without passing priority, and then are passing priority with all four on the stack.

You can show your opponent the four bolts in your hand and see if they snap-concede, but don't try to pretend like you're casting them and then backtrack, that'll get you a warning .

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

So let me get this straight, revealing the cards aside, because that seems like fair to mindgames someone with, you could say you were playing four bolts, if they counter the first one play something more important in response and keep the rest of the bolts? Could you just say you were casting something that you didn't even have if you aren't obligated to actually play it?

Ok, here's an example: my opponent has dispel in hand. Can I say I'm playing 4 instants, order them from most important to least, see what they counter and drop a creature with flash, say a snapcaster instead of everything after their counter?
Yes...? You're playing around Dispel, and they've got to play around Snapcaster Mage. They counter your first spell, you get to respond by casting Snapcaster Mage instead - exactly what would happen if you did things correctly and showed each card one at a time. And if they don't counter any of your spells, well, they've got you - you declared you're casting them, you don't get to take it back at the fourth spell, and you don't get to play Snapcaster Mage. Better hope that fourth, least most important spell was worth casting instead.

You say you're casting them, it's implicit that what you're saying is "...Unless you do something in response." If you didn't want to implicitly say that, you can hold priority. But you can't go back on it if they say go ahead.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

If you tap mana and put a card on the table you're going to have a hard time telling a judge you didn't actually cast it yet.

When you cast a spell, you still have priority, you can add another spell to the stack without your opponent getting a chance to respond. So if you tap RRRR and throw four lightning bolts on the table, the assumption is going to be that you cast them all in a row without passing priority, and then are passing priority with all four on the stack.

Unless I'm missing a subtlety, Ableist Kinkshamer literally just quoted the tournament policy that shows that the official "assumption" is something else.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What you think would happen: You cast 4 lightning bolts all at once, they counter one, you go wait no I'm not casting these 3 and cast snap instead.

What would/should actually happen: You cast 4 lightning bolts all at once. You opponent clarifys, "are these all on the stack or should we back up?" You either put them all on the stack and pay, or you back up to resolving them one by one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does anybody have the current Subsligh decklist?

I need to get in the standard daily on mtgo RIGHT NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wadjamaloo posted:

What you think would happen: You cast 4 lightning bolts all at once, they counter one, you go wait no I'm not casting these 3 and cast snap instead.

What would/should actually happen: You cast 4 lightning bolts all at once. You opponent clarifys, "are these all on the stack or should we back up?" You either put them all on the stack and pay, or you back up to resolving them one by one.

The bottom line is don't be dink and try to rules lawyer, just cast your poo poo normally.

• Locked thread