Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So has the Artpop app just been abandoned? I remember there was some huge countdown to the bottom two features and going back it's done, and all at 0, but they're also still locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TheJoker138 posted:

So has the Artpop app just been abandoned? I remember there was some huge countdown to the bottom two features and going back it's done, and all at 0, but they're also still locked.

She vaguely explained recently that it was another casualty of the split with Troy Carter. I assume he or his company had some patents or other ownership involved.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 24, 2014

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I've been listing to the Cheek to Cheek album and it's not as good as I was hoping it would be. If it were just Lady Gaga, I think it would be much stronger. Tony and Gaga don't have very good singing chemistry and Tony's voice isn't nearly as sharp or strong as it used to be. Tony's solo song "Sophisticated Lady" is hard to listen to at parts. I love most of Lady Gaga's parts of the album though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who thinks Bennett drags this album down.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
I don't mind Tony's vocals mostly - I think he does pretty well for a man of his age - but for some reason I find Sophisticated Lady borderline unlistenable. It seems really...pitchy, for lack of better term, and it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. I admit, I don't have much knowledge of jazz otherwise, so I don't know if the song is SUPPOSED to sound so meandering, but either way I find myself skipping it. It might just be a personal preference thing.

Additionally, I find there are times when they're singing together where Gaga will kind of sing over him, and I don't know if that's her issue for not "toning it down" so to speak, or if his comparatively weaker voice is to blame.

I don't know, I enjoy the album otherwise. Gaga sounds phenomenal when she's singing by herself and I think Lush Life was a perfect choice for her to solo. The last line (And there I'll be, while I rot/ With the rest of those whose lives are lonely, too) reminds me of her Manifesto of Little Monsters from TFM era.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bennett's fine, Gaga's fine, but they're on totally different wavelengths. He's relaxed and cool, she's going for the rafters, and those are both legitimate approaches but they don't mesh at all.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I don't think they mesh perfectly on Anything Goes, but I love their Nature Boy, as well as Cheek to Cheek, But Beautiful and Lets Face the Music and Dance. And I love all her solo songs. Lush Life is gorgeous, and Every time we say goodbye has been stuck in my head since I listened to it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Preview of her bang bang performance, looks really cool

http://cheek2cheek.com/news/bang-bang-teaser

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://www.cheek2cheek.com/news/bang-bang-my-baby-shot-me-down

I'm stanning so hard right now :toot: :dance:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I feel like there's been SO MUCH promo for this album. It's nice to see the fire back.

Here she is having fun and singing along to Ella Fitzgerald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ES0Ch5d3ew

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Oh my God I'm going to the Artrave today and I'm so loving excited.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
It's been two days now, and I've just realized how disappointed I am. The whole concert felt disconnected, and I thought the catwalk design for Artrave would make it easier to connect with the fans like she did during the Born This Way Ball it did the complete opposite as most of the time you were left staring at the huge screens to even get a glimpse of her. The stage did look good though, but the greek "houses" on the main stage felt like they were put there just to have something visually interesting to look at because she never used them at all during any of the perfomances except for running in and out to change clothes, something which she did loads of times. Compared to the Monster Ball and Born This Way ball, the stage setup had no purpose at all as she did not utilize the space like she used to do except to do some dance moves, bring a bed for the Sexxx Dreams perfomance and dance around with fuckloads of chairs for Mary Jane Hollands. With the catwalks being that long and having several "arms" reaching out from it, it felt like you'd be forced to watch the dancers instead of the lady herself because she was jumping around everywhere on the catwalk in an attempt to please every crowd at every corner of the catwalks. She was not in the spotlight at all.

The light show was amazing. Lasers and so many colors everywhere, but unless you stood away from the crowd the whole setup would fall incredibly flat as you'd be left looking at the screens and ignoring the stage.

Hearing songs from Artpop was incredibly fun, but it wasn't the "fun" experience one would expect from a Gaga concert. All in all, I felt like she was just trying to hurry through the songs as fast as possible to get to the piano. Dope, You and I and Born This Way acoustic was incredible and definately the highlight of the concert because for the first time during the show, it looked like she was actually having fun. This feeling of fun continued throughout the concert, but once she started to sing Mary Jane Holland it all felt flat and forced again. I couldn't even remember that she sang Alejandro.

Gypsy, however, was loving amazing. It felt natural, it felt fun and it looked like she was having a great time.

I do wnat to say that my experience was bad for reasons that she had no control over. In an arena for 22 thousand people, only 6000 showed up so half the arena was blocked off with a huge black curtain, and the crowd consisted either of hardcore little monsters or parents bringing along their kids to watch the show so the feeling of it being a huge party was just not there because the parents would ask you to calm down if you tried to jump around and dance. Something had happened with the ventilation system so the arena was hot as hell, and my friends were close to passing out so we had to move away from the crowds to sit down and drink some water. This did give us more room to watch the show however, and it was then I realized that the lightning effects used in the show was pretty damned good because I'd have no chance otherwise to see it.

All in all, I'd give this concert a 2/5. It was not terrible. I did have fun and so did my friends, but it just fell so incredibly flat and soulless in the end. Even my friend who's a bigger fan than I am looked at me on the way out and said, "This was disappointing." Her complaint was that it just felt so incredibly disconnected, as if the setup and design of the artrave was the easiest and fastest solution she could come up with for a tour. The party theme of the tour felt bad because Gaga looked like she wanted to remain at the piano for the rest of the concert instead of having a, you know, huge party.

I'd love to hear about your experience. I'm sure some or most of you have had an incredible experience with the Artrave, but I am genuinely sad that I didn't get that same feeling from it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Stalins Moustache posted:

It's been two days now, and I've just realized how disappointed I am. The whole concert felt disconnected, and I thought the catwalk design for Artrave would make it easier to connect with the fans like she did during the Born This Way Ball it did the complete opposite as most of the time you were left staring at the huge screens to even get a glimpse of her. The stage did look good though, but the greek "houses" on the main stage felt like they were put there just to have something visually interesting to look at because she never used them at all during any of the perfomances except for running in and out to change clothes, something which she did loads of times. Compared to the Monster Ball and Born This Way ball, the stage setup had no purpose at all as she did not utilize the space like she used to do except to do some dance moves, bring a bed for the Sexxx Dreams perfomance and dance around with fuckloads of chairs for Mary Jane Hollands. With the catwalks being that long and having several "arms" reaching out from it, it felt like you'd be forced to watch the dancers instead of the lady herself because she was jumping around everywhere on the catwalk in an attempt to please every crowd at every corner of the catwalks. She was not in the spotlight at all.

The light show was amazing. Lasers and so many colors everywhere, but unless you stood away from the crowd the whole setup would fall incredibly flat as you'd be left looking at the screens and ignoring the stage.

Hearing songs from Artpop was incredibly fun, but it wasn't the "fun" experience one would expect from a Gaga concert. All in all, I felt like she was just trying to hurry through the songs as fast as possible to get to the piano. Dope, You and I and Born This Way acoustic was incredible and definately the highlight of the concert because for the first time during the show, it looked like she was actually having fun. This feeling of fun continued throughout the concert, but once she started to sing Mary Jane Holland it all felt flat and forced again. I couldn't even remember that she sang Alejandro.

Gypsy, however, was loving amazing. It felt natural, it felt fun and it looked like she was having a great time.

I do wnat to say that my experience was bad for reasons that she had no control over. In an arena for 22 thousand people, only 6000 showed up so half the arena was blocked off with a huge black curtain, and the crowd consisted either of hardcore little monsters or parents bringing along their kids to watch the show so the feeling of it being a huge party was just not there because the parents would ask you to calm down if you tried to jump around and dance. Something had happened with the ventilation system so the arena was hot as hell, and my friends were close to passing out so we had to move away from the crowds to sit down and drink some water. This did give us more room to watch the show however, and it was then I realized that the lightning effects used in the show was pretty damned good because I'd have no chance otherwise to see it.

All in all, I'd give this concert a 2/5. It was not terrible. I did have fun and so did my friends, but it just fell so incredibly flat and soulless in the end. Even my friend who's a bigger fan than I am looked at me on the way out and said, "This was disappointing." Her complaint was that it just felt so incredibly disconnected, as if the setup and design of the artrave was the easiest and fastest solution she could come up with for a tour. The party theme of the tour felt bad because Gaga looked like she wanted to remain at the piano for the rest of the concert instead of having a, you know, huge party.

I'd love to hear about your experience. I'm sure some or most of you have had an incredible experience with the Artrave, but I am genuinely sad that I didn't get that same feeling from it.

I just saw her yesterday in Stockholm and yeah, this was nowhere near as good as Monster Ball and BTW ball. The warmups were loving horrible (jesus christ get rid of Lady Starlight), and the first half of the show was just bland. The props were also really boring compared to the other concerts. Too much piano and bad piano song choices. And the stupid mash of Poker Face / Just Dance / Telephone just to save some time. The last part of the show ruled though, Bad Romance onwards.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
Gaga did an AMA on Reddit today.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2i6tlx/i_am_lady_gaga_amaa_lets_go_cheek_to_cheek_like_i/

I don't usually read AMAs (or Reddit in general; that site design is a hot mess) so I don't know how they usually go, but she didn't really seem to say anything new, and she didn't touch the tougher questions. Oh well.

I AM getting a kick out of the mental image of her and Taylor shooting cans off a porch while on a four-wheeler, though.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like this mash up of Do What U Want and So Happy I Could Die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWtVNs-N-yw

And the vice versa version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0s-HFYNh8U

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 19, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So What I Want Die
Do Happy You Could

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I noticed her new album has already dropped down to £5.99 on iTunes not even a month later. Can't be doing very well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Athletic Footjob posted:

I noticed her new album has already dropped down to £5.99 on iTunes not even a month later. Can't be doing very well.

From the looks of it, it had a really good first week pretty much everywhere it released then dropped like a stone. I'm not surprised, as it's a super niche thing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

From the looks of it, it had a really good first week pretty much everywhere it released then dropped like a stone. I'm not surprised, as it's a super niche thing.

It's still number 4 on the billboard 200 after 3 weeks. It's done way better than I thought it would

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

It's actually selling better than Artpop did on a weekly basis. After the PBS special and the holidays, its probably going to be at least gold.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Here's the PBS Cheek to Cheek Special in HD

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/tony-bennett-lady-gaga-cheek-cheek-live-full-episode/3574/

Her lush life performance :allears:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I'm kinda... I dunno, not really impressed at all with this. As was said before, Tony holds it back I think, but Gaga isn't belting out any home runs either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old standards are boring and have been done to death. The entire concept isn't really all that appealing to me from go. I would have been much more interested in a stripped down acoustic album of original material from her than hearing Anything Goes being covered for the billionth time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
There is also the additional problem of Ms. Gaga not adding anything to the songs, putting her own spin on them or doing anything new or interesting with them. She's just singing them straight, which is okay if you like her enough to buy anything with her name attached, but if I wanted to listen to I Can't Give You Anything But Love, why would I listen to Gaga's version in instead of or in addition to Billie Holiday's version? I mean I might as well listen to Regis Philbin's equally serviceable version, too, if I'm going to let Gaga's into my rotation.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Speaking of covers, I think she's hinting at the direction of her next album by doing these covers at her latest shows.

edit:

heres the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0YjGKqauw

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 3, 2014

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

somnambulist posted:

Speaking of covers, I think she's hinting at the direction of her next album by doing these covers at her latest shows.

edit:

heres the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0YjGKqauw

I just finished watching that on LM's. Holy poo poo. :worship:

I hope it's a rock album!

Bina fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 3, 2014

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Bina posted:

I just finished watching that on LM's. Holy poo poo. :worship:

I hope it's a rock album!

A rock album would be amazing. She's got a good voice for rock in roll. Her songs that go more towards rock are always so good. I could see her doing music more in the Heart style of singing. Big vocals and good ol' rock 'n' roll.

Edit: Mainstream pop is not really well suited for her big, talented voice even if she's good at writing catchy pop tunes.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Stabitha posted:

A rock album would be amazing. She's got a good voice for rock in roll. Her songs that go more towards rock are always so good. I could see her doing music more in the Heart style of singing. Big vocals and good ol' rock 'n' roll.

Edit: Mainstream pop is not really well suited for her big, talented voice even if she's good at writing catchy pop tunes.

Maybe she'll prove to Gene Simmons that Rock 'n' Roll isn't dead after all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bina posted:

God Gene Simmons is a loving idiot. If rock is dead he helped kill it, and I hope he joins it soon.

There were rumors a while back that she was done with pop music, weren't there? And that her next album was in fact going to be a rock album?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Who knows honestly. I think she got burnt out on the "pop formula" but I dont see her leaving pop forever. She catapulted to success, and now the standards are set so ridiculously high for her that I imagine she just wants to step away from that world and to start finding herself again as an artist. The pressure has got to be really hard.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Gaga's big mistake was pandering almost exclusively to the gay male audience when she was the "it" singer. She built her empire on light poppy songs, but squandered her popularity by going insular (a Madonna tribute album? who the gently caress was demanding that?). It should be a surprise to no one that the broader audience of Poker Face and Bad Romance moved on when she released Born This Way.

Don't get me wrong, Gaga could keep releasing her vanity records for the rest of her life and do very well for herself, but the days of Lady Gaga as a top 10 mainstay are long gone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bina posted:

Maybe she'll prove Ace Frehley right that God gave Rock n Roll to us.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Gaga's big mistake was pandering almost exclusively to the gay male audience when she was the "it" singer. She built her empire on light poppy songs, but squandered her popularity by going insular (a Madonna tribute album? who the gently caress was demanding that?). It should be a surprise to no one that the broader audience of Poker Face and Bad Romance moved on when she released Born This Way.

Don't get me wrong, Gaga could keep releasing her vanity records for the rest of her life and do very well for herself, but the days of Lady Gaga as a top 10 mainstay are long gone.

Yeah, it's not like a pop star has ever reinvented themself to return to chart success, nope.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Irish Joe posted:

I dunno if that's accurate at all, I almost want to say it was the opposite to some degree. The gays have an allegiance to Madonna, and after Alejandro's music video (which was too close to madonna), then Born this Way (which sounded similar to express yourself) the gays started to jump ship because "there is only one queen". Also born this ways message was very torn- some people felt she was being authentic, and others felt she was "using them".

That being said, the song born this way was MASSIVE, and it broke all kinds of records when it was released. So I don't think that song did anything negatively really aside from the madonna thing.

Add to that Judas was too controversial a song in lyrics where it never got radio support and it only made it to #10 on the BB100, the edge of glory music video drama (she fired Kahn from directing the video, and a lovely substitute was made), You and I's video not really going.....anywhere, marry the nights video was too long for people (that song deserved way more success, its brilliant) and then Artpop came out- an era where she fired her manager RIGHT as it came out, applause was a moderate hit, but the entire era was SO unorganized and sloppy. The GUY video was pretty good, but people were over the album already.

I have no doubt she can be on top again if she reinvents herself and gives us a quality record with the right promo, but there is definitely work that needs to be done.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Irish Joe posted:

I don't think she wants the latter anymore.

And Born This Way wasn't a Madonna tribute album.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't think she wants the latter anymore.

And Born This Way wasn't a Madonna tribute album.

Gaga even said when she wrote the album, she thought of Whitney. (Fashion of his Love)

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I think , personally, that her albums after the fame monster just weren't as good / catchy and thats why she's less popular. Not that they didn't have good songs / were fun on their own, but in comparison I lost interest. Her standards album is pretty mediocre too.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeap. And she doesn't collaborate with the producers who helped make all those hits. She just wants to make her own music, she doesn't really care about pleasing people or being number 1. If she did she'd be like Katy Perry and use Dr. Luke to produce everything she loving made. I actually wish she would get back together with RedOne.

Black Celebration
Mar 25, 2007

a brief period of rejoicing.

Maximusi posted:

Yeap. And she doesn't collaborate with the producers who helped make all those hits. She just wants to make her own music, she doesn't really care about pleasing people or being number 1. If she did she'd be like Katy Perry and use Dr. Luke to produce everything she loving made. I actually wish she would get back together with RedOne.

god, a-loving-men to this. she and RedOne did some amazing stuff together.

I have to echo what everyone else has said the last couple of posts - I LOVED Gaga when she first came out, and then it just kind of fizzled. Don't get me wrong, I was right there 'stanning with everyone else when Born This Way came out, but then I saw the artwork (what the gently caress? my 5 year old niece could do better) and was a little let down. The album is just too all over the place between the religious references and the "love yourself because you're you!" poo poo. (although "Bloody Mary" has got a killer bassline, I will admit that) And ARTPOP could have been a great comeback for her, but the promotion went awry and, let's be honest, "Applause" was a WEAK choice for a single. the title track or Aura would have been way better choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-huNrHAou-E

Lady Gaga "Bang Bang [My Baby Shot Me Down]"

I like this. It is a classy modern rendition of the old tune. and Lady Gaga looks pretty good in the Cher red leather jumpsuit & black wig (maybe show business singer Tony Bennett picked it out?). Lady Gaga, 28yo female celebrity popstar & musician, has a great voice in this performance on a public stage in an amphitheater which is shown here on Youtube.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread