Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DarkCrawler posted:

I can't believe you still haven't explained how that is supposed to stop terrorism. Take them out as a military threat, yes...

I didn't say it would stop all terrorism ever, I'm saying having ISIS turned into dust would remove the "glorious/romantic" aspect of going over to fight for them, or taking up their cause at home. In so doing, I think it will stop a lot of terrorism, especially among these mentally disturbed converts and such who, realistically, are just going to latch onto the first thing that hits their broken brain the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

FowlTheOwl posted:

My wife and I were having a discussion about the shooting and she said Cirillo should have had ammo on hand. I said it was a ceremonial role and they probably didn't want any accidents happening.

Will they arm the soldiers in the future to allow them to respond, or would it just be to risky?

Except for the part where the killer charged up and shot him in the back. Ammo or no, I don't think Cirillo was going to be able to return fire. Honour guards with ammo would just make them a more likely target for some tryong tp grab some, I would think? They are never dealing with high-alert shoot on sight tactics (with good reason), and don't guard things that are expected to be targeted by actual threats, it would be really hard for them to be able to accurately assess which people in the teeming crowd surrounding them are just passing by, and which ones are trying to case them to take their gun.

I honestly don't think there was anything we could do to improve security for Cirillo here. The chance of him getting attacked was exceedingly remote, especially in the manner that he was. Unless we decide to double honour guards everwhere and have them point their gun at anyone who strays too close, how do you deal with a spontaneous assault from a deranged crack addict with a stolen rifle.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

David Corbett posted:

It kind of puts Rime's earlier post into perspective. Seems like there was plenty of security on Parliament Hill already, and while Zehaf-Bibeau managed to get through the door, he pretty obviously wasn't going much further.

I had to wait several days to ask, but I'm curious what perspective it changed regarding my post?

Also, :laffo: @ PT6A ranting about and advocating outright genocide for days on end without getting a probation. :allears:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rime posted:

Also, :laffo: @ PT6A ranting about and advocating outright genocide for days on end without getting a probation. :allears:

But then half of the Middle East thread would have to be probated... :stare:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Poizen Jam posted:

Where does anyone get the idea that humans not possessing free will precludes the value of discussions on ethics or morality? If anything, giving up belief in free will has pushed me further and further away from just world fallacy thinking, and toward compassionate and progressive thinking. When I see a criminal commit an act, I'm far more inclined to consider his motivation or life experience that drove him to commit such an act, so that we may prevent it in the future. When I see someone who is struggling in poverty, I'm very much inclined to analyze why that is, be it multigenerational trends or societal privilege working against the person. In fact, I have a hard time believing why people wouldn't fully support a 'Just World' and buck stopping personal responsibility argument put forth by libertarians and objectivists if free will did exist; if at any point in ones life a person is 100% responsible for their choices and situation, and capable of choosing differently, then certainly such ethical credos are tenable.

Humans are undoubtedly rational actors, but I don't believe we have free will per se. Neither a deterministic or random universe are hospitable to the concept of free will as it is commonly imagined; and every tenable definition put forth by compatibilism relies on dumbing down the definition of free will until it is indistinguishable from 'rational actor'. It's either that or invoke dualism, which is pretty much dead.

Every time you make a decision or choose to act in a particular way, you did so because of a complex interplay of biopsychosocial influences. Humans are not causally privileged entities and neither our senses or neutrons violate the law of causality.

While we have a lot more insight into the brain than we did a few decades ago it is still essentially a black box. Inputs go in, outputs come out, and we only have a limited understanding of what happens in-between. We respond to that ambiguity by hypothesizing that the person has some level of internal control over their behaviour, and we base our ethical and legal guidelines on this belief, even though we also acknowledge that in some cases there were mitigating circumstances influencing how someone acted.

The upshot here is that "free will" isn't a precise scientific concept, its a heuristic device we use for making predictions about or evaluations of how people act.

I'll grant there are some defects with this approach but I'm not sure we've actually come up with a decent alternative yet. If you think that we have that could actually be a pretty interesting discussion. Five or six years ago I actually made a thread in D&D about how the ideology of liberalism would be impacted if we fully accept the implications of neuroscience, but the thread never really took off. If you want to try and kick off another discussion (perhaps not in this thread though) then I'd be happy to participate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

If bombing ISIS, or the lands they control, qualified as genocide, every war ever could be classified as genocide. I find the overuse of "genocide" makes light of the actual thing, which is a horrible crime against humanity. It's offensive, and I wish you and others would not do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

If bombing ISIS, or the lands they control, qualified as genocide, every war ever could be classified as genocide. I find the overuse of "genocide" makes light of the actual thing, which is a horrible crime against humanity. It's offensive, and I wish you and others would not do it.

I find your repeated calls for the wholesale slaughter of tens of thousands of noncombatants who have the shared misfortune of living in areas that contain members of ISIS offensive, but you just won't shut the gently caress up about it.

Please stop.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Can everyone just block PT6A instead of quoting him and making me see his posts, however briefly. Thanks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

I find your repeated calls for the wholesale slaughter of tens of thousands of noncombatants who have the shared misfortune of living in areas that contain members of ISIS offensive, but you just won't shut the gently caress up about it.

Please stop.

I specifically avoided calling for carpet bombings, or the use of nukes, or anything, indeed, other than targeted airstrikes. If you were reading things into my posts that I never said, that's really not my problem.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I specifically avoided calling for carpet bombings, or the use of nukes, or anything, indeed, other than targeted airstrikes. If you were reading things into my posts that I never said, that's really not my problem.

Targeted airstrikes still cause 10's of thousands of civilian casualities

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We've achieved a much better ratio of collateral damage in the current airstrikes against ISIS, something around 10%. If those 10,000 civilian casualties allowed us to completely wipe out ISIS (total strength under 100,000), I'd consider it pretty worthwhile. I wish we could do better, but the alternative is allowing ISIS to grow and fester. Also, 10,000 or even 100,000 deaths is really far from anything that can realistically be called genocide, even if it's still bad.

The West is hosed because we can't even be arsed to prosecute a war against a group with the stated intention of killing us.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Please stop being a disingenuous poo poo. Either take the time to think through what you're actually saying when you post poo poo like this, and own it, or stop posting about this.

PT6A posted:

We don't even know if it's a bunch of extremist Muslim fucks yet or not, so that's a little premature.

But, if it is, I can't help but wonder if we've been following the wrong strategy in seizing passports and whatnot to prevent them from going to Syria. We should fly them over there ourselves and only remove their passports once they're out of the country.

And then bomb them immediately.

PT6A posted:

I saw a CBC report from a city in Jordan that had much of the population, including the mayor, saying they were waiting for ISIL to come so they could support them. I think this would be an ideal location to do the release/bombing.
---

PT6A posted:

He says, followed up by this stunning bit of moral calculus, pulled wholesale from his rear end:

PT6A posted:

We've achieved a much better ratio of collateral damage in the current airstrikes against ISIS, something around 10%. If those 10,000 civilian casualties allowed us to completely wipe out ISIS (total strength under 100,000), I'd consider it pretty worthwhile. I wish we could do better, but the alternative is allowing ISIS to grow and fester. Also, 10,000 or even 100,000 deaths is really far from anything that can realistically be called genocide, even if it's still bad.

The West is hosed because we can't even be arsed to prosecute a war against a group with the stated intention of killing us.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Oct 26, 2014

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Not really politics (is anything in this thread?) but Jian Ghomeshi got fired from CBC it looks like. "Information came to our attention recently that in CBC's judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian" sounds a bit ominous.

I really liked Jian and stuff like the media panel was good at talking about Canadian politics and news from a unique viewpoint.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Well, a war that have been in large part caused by decades of meddling by Western powers since the original borders of what we now call the middle east were drawn up by colonial powers. Even though I think it's terrible and I don't condone it whatsoever, I still at the same time see why these various terrorist groups have so many willing volunteers. If my family was killed by a drone strike as a result of being deemed 'collateral damage' in the process of the West deciding to kill someone, who never even had been tried, let alone found guilty, I'd be pretty extreme in my views against the west too.

e: Don't mistake this as me supporting ISIS or whatever, as yes, they are a vile bunch, but talking so callously of civilian casualties being so insignificant due to some sense of "end justifies the means" bullshit, makes me sick.

Mederlock has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Oct 26, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Please stop being a disingenuous poo poo. Either take the time to think through what you're actually saying when you post poo poo like this, and own it, or stop posting about this.

---

He says, followed up this stunning bit of moral calculus, pulled wholesale from his rear end:

Yes. I'm saying we ought to bomb ISIS and its supporters in all those cases. I think a city led by a pro-ISIS mayor, that states their intention to rebel against the legitimate government of Jordan, is a valid target. Perhaps we don't need to reduce the city to rubble, but we very much should take any and all steps necessary to make sure it remains firmly under the control of the Jordanian government, up to and including airstrikes.

Nowhere have I ever said we need to genocide all Arabs. You're pulling that out of your rear end.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Chicken posted:

Not really politics (is anything in this thread?) but Jian Ghomeshi got fired from CBC it looks like. "Information came to our attention recently that in CBC's judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian" sounds a bit ominous.

I really liked Jian and stuff like the media panel was good at talking about Canadian politics and news from a unique viewpoint.

Whaattt

Weren't they just talking last week about how he was taking a leave to deal with his dad dying or something? Something about this sounds off.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chicken posted:

Jian was a golden goose for CBC Radio/ TV... I was always amazed at how he was able to draw celebrities to his show without being too soft on them... I really wonder what happened, it sounds like it could be serious?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
His crimes against humanity for singing in moxy fruvose are finally being prosecuted at the ICC.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chicken posted:

drat, I really hope there's not some ugly scandal brewing here. That article reads like an obit.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Ghomeshi is suing CBC for $50 million, apparently...

Also, there's this: https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/526435684832509954

And this: https://twitter.com/ryantologist/status/526439911998881792 (There have always been rumors surrounding him being a womanizer, etc).

mr. unhsib has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Oct 26, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

mr. unhsib posted:

Ghomeshi is suing CBC for $50 million, apparently...

Also, there's this: https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/526435684832509954

So, I'm guessing the CanadaLand guy is the one who provided the information to CBC that led to them deciding to let Ghomeshi go?
Hm, looks like there's some smoke here, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lester B. Pearson
Jul 4, 2007

Free Marc Emery
and all other
political prisoners!
I am interested to hear the story behind this. Q is one of my favourite CBC shows.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yes. I'm saying we ought to bomb ISIS and its supporters in all those cases. I think a city led by a pro-ISIS mayor, that states their intention to rebel against the legitimate government of Jordan, is a valid target. Perhaps we don't need to reduce the city to rubble, but we very much should take any and all steps necessary to make sure it remains firmly under the control of the Jordanian government, up to and including airstrikes.

Nowhere have I ever said we need to genocide all Arabs. You're pulling that out of your rear end.

Bombing a city because it's mayor is supportive of ISIS, even though that might just be a survival strategy, or the mayor may be an unelected appointee placed after Isis took over is somehow morally repugnant to D&D posters. I can't really explain it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ahaha

quote:

Josh Visser @joshvisser · 25m 25 minutes ago

CBC finally has an HBO-quality drama now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

senae posted:

Bombing a city because it's mayor is supportive of ISIS, even though that might just be a survival strategy, or the mayor may be an unelected appointee placed after Isis took over is somehow morally repugnant to D&D posters. I can't really explain it.

Please don't. We've moved on to speculating about "celebrity" gossip, and it's so much nicer.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Chicken posted:

Well, well, well... This is curious...

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

El Scotch posted:

Well, well, well... This is curious...

Toronto reddit threads have some anonymous CBC staffers who won't get into details, but claim it's some very dark stuff, even for the media world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As long as he hasn't been taking lessons from Johhny Saville or any of those other sick fucks at the BBC...

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
It is fairly well known in media and literary circles that Jian is a total loving creep who has acted completely inappropriately towards women in both his personal and professional life. When can lit started talking about sexual abuse and inappropriate relationships a couple weeks ago, I felt pretty strongly that his days were numbered.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Jian's been dropped as Giller Prize host: https://twitter.com/GillerPrize/status/526459472676257792

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's also this

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/non-date

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's disturbing that despite the "oh yeah, he's got a reputation for that" open secret talk that's bubbling out now, Carla Ciccone was the only one to ever speak out about it. And even though she didn't directly name him she still got poo poo for the article and daring to impugn the reputation of Jian Ghomeshi.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:stonk:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

It's disturbing that despite the "oh yeah, he's got a reputation for that" open secret talk that's bubbling out now, Carla Ciccone was the only one to ever speak out about it. And even though she didn't directly name him she still got poo poo for the article and daring to impugn the reputation of Jian Ghomeshi.

I mean, that's exactly why people don't speak out.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Twiin posted:

I mean, that's exactly why people don't speak out.

I was just listening to Jesse Brown's interview with Michael Enright and they spoke about why the Margret Wente plagiarism story wasn't followed: Canada has an intensely small national media landscape. Even the woman in the anonymous story says that she wanted to leave on good terms so it didn't affect her career in the media where everyone knows everyone.

Our national media is as much of a gossip factory as a small town.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ghomeshi Gate is actually about ethics is music journalism

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Well, that certainly makes this interview seem quite creepy:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=flA6A9TtvOo

Apologies Cangoons for my lovely posting, we do get Q on WBEZ in Chicago and Jian was a good interviewer, on radio

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You could fit our entire media class onto a single mid sized cruise ship, hopefully as a prelude to sinking it.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

She's clearly talking about Rex Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Per the Globe, Ghomeshi's suing the CBC for $50 million. That's, like, its entire funding for the year... with the word "million" attached to the end.

• Locked thread