Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They did that on the Terminator TV show as well. A couple characters in the second season discover they aren't actually from the same timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ringo Star Get posted:

There is a book that the game Original War is based on, called Last Day of Creation (I think) that does time travel well. Each time something happens in the past, the future changes. So sometimes you get people coming in from different futures meeting others from different futures as well.

Twelve Monkeys is mentioned a lot as an example of time travel done well. You can't change the past, because the past has already happened. Anyone you send back is part of the past, and therefore part of the events of the past, and therefore anything he does has already happened.

But honestly, time travel is such a problem in fiction not because "you can't time travel in real life" but because it's so apparently difficult to stay consistent. I really don't mind any take on time travel a work cares to portray as long as it follows its own rules. If you want to do a Twelve Monkeys "realistic" take on it, fine. If you want to do a multi-reality branching-path version, fine. Just stay consistent.

Butterfly Effect is terrible for this reason (and many others). Okay so you have periods of your life where you blacked out and can astrally project yourself back there and change the past, thereby changing your future. Once you get back from a trip, everything changes and you get hit with all your memories from the new reality. I can even buy you keeping your old memories since you're basically outside of time when you're astrally projecting. Bit of a reach, but fine.

And then he goes to prison and makes stigmata magically appear on his hands by going back in time. Like the scars just *poof* instantly appear at the moment he takes the trip back, totally ignoring the fact that they would have been there the whole time in the new timeline. Not to mention the likelyhood that randomly, voluntarily impaling your palms on spikes in elementary school MIGHT have just changed the course of your life enough so that you wouldn't be in prison when you're in your twenties. Or at least not that prison for that reason at that exact moment.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

In John Wick when the Russian mob boss is telling somebody about the title character he tells them that the Russian mob used to call Wick "Baba Yaga" which he says just means "the boogeyman." The problem with this is that Baba Yaga is a specific thing in Russian folklore and not just a generic term (also Baba Yaga is female.)

The rest of the movie is good but this just stood out to me.

Everyone knows that Baba Yaga is witch who lives in a chicken leg house! Well, everyone who's read Hellboy.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Samopsa posted:

Don't think about timetravel, it does not make sense.

I unironically believe that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure had the best time travel mechanic. "We win as long as we remember to actually go back and rig the scenario" was brilliant.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Razorwired posted:

I unironically believe that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure had the best time travel mechanic. "We win as long as we remember to actually go back and rig the scenario" was brilliant.

That was Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.
:goonsay:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

That was Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.
:goonsay:

No, pretty sure they do that in Excellent Adventure also.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Everyone knows that Baba Yaga is witch who lives in a chicken leg house! Well, everyone who's read Hellboy.

Or played Hero Quest/QFG

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Razorwired posted:

The best part is that the villain (Bogus Journey) does the same thing, and Bill and Ted laugh it off because only the winners get to go back and do this stuff and since that's going to be them, their future selves are just up there trolling the villain by doing the stuff he thinks his future version will do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

As I recall, you're seeing the scene in a mirror.
Isn't it actually some impossible shot that's only possible because it's a fake mirror with doubles mimicking the actors? Or am I thinking of something else entirely? If it's a fake mirror but they remembered to make the tool spin the mirrored way too then fair play to them, that's some attention to detail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

Isn't it actually some impossible shot that's only possible because it's a fake mirror with doubles mimicking the actors? Or am I thinking of something else entirely? If it's a fake mirror but they remembered to make the tool spin the mirrored way too then fair play to them, that's some attention to detail.

Yeah, it's not actually a mirror but on one side it's Arnold and Linda Hamilton and on the other it's a fake Arnold head and Linda's twin sister. Or the other way around, either way it's done with Linda's sister and a fake Arnold.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Yeah, it's not actually a mirror but on one side it's Arnold and Linda Hamilton and on the other it's a fake Arnold head and Linda's twin sister. Or the other way around, either way it's done with Linda's sister and a fake Arnold.
I went and found it online, it's an amazing bit of trickery: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x615wr_terminator-2-judgment-day-cpu-reset_shortfilms

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pilchenstein posted:

that's some attention to detail.

James Cameron™

Seriously though, he's one of my irritating moments because he uses his powers of film-making to insert truly amazing achievements into the most cookie-cutter predictable poo poo.

Post Abyss anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pook Good Mook posted:

James Cameron™
Watching that scene though, the bit with the air tool isn't mirrored so I guess the irrational irritation is entirely valid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pook Good Mook posted:

James Cameron™

Seriously though, he's one of my irritating moments because he uses his powers of film-making to insert truly amazing achievements into the most cookie-cutter predictable poo poo.

Post Abyss anyway.
I find it funny that when making the Titanic 3d remake, he fixed the stars at the end just because he was called out by Neil Degrasse Tyson (youtube link)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

CannonFodder posted:

I find it funny that when making the Titanic 3d remake, he fixed the stars at the end just because he was called out by Neil Degrasse Tyson (youtube link)

I used to own a pair of boots just like his.... :eek:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CannonFodder posted:

I don’t go looking up star charts to see if they’re right, but I do mentally compare the day of the week with the calendar date when both are specified.

It’s surprising how often they do not match up. Forrest Gump made this mistake with the date of Jenny’s death, but it’s subtler than most because the date and day are given in separate scenes. Or maybe Forrest’s memory is just intentionally faulty here. V:shobon:V

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the reason that stuff is not often accurate is because literally, and I mean literally, nobody cares except for people who are specifically looking for it. Though I guess that's why it's 'irrationally' irritating.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CJacobs posted:

nobody cares except for people who are specifically looking for it

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

tuluk posted:

How do you think Batman tests his batsuit-armor against firearms?

Yeah, but he needs like 2 or 3 guns, at most. The armory has enough to arm the entirety of Blackgate and then some.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Listen, you never know when he's gonna break his "no killing" rule spontaneously for no reason. He's done it several times in the past!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Robzor McFabulous posted:

No, pretty sure they do that in Excellent Adventure also.

Yeah, multiple times they just sit there and make note to leave something they need in the right place. The keys, the voice recording for his dad, etc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

Listen, you never know when he's gonna break his "no killing" rule spontaneously for no reason. He's done it several times in the past!

It was really embarrassing for him when he tried shooting Alexander Luthor and it didn't have any bullets. He swore that'd never happen again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If he takes the guns from a criminal, where's he going to put them?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Tunicate posted:

If he takes the guns from a criminal, where's he going to put them?

Incinerator :colbert:

e: Bat-Incinerator

Big Grunty Secret has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Oct 27, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

More like Wayne Industries Metal Recycling branch. Then make more batarangs or a new batmobile or something.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
The thing that annoys me about TDKR and guns is how he makes a big deal about how he doesn't use guns, but then he's got these big rear end guns on his bat cycle. I guess he's ok with shooting people if he's on the bat cycle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Arrath posted:

More like Wayne Industries Metal Recycling branch. Then make more batarangs or a new batmobile or something.
I'd love to see him driving a batmobile that was just a bunch of guns welded together, firing shots off every time he corners or hits a pothole - fear is his greatest weapon after all.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I also think it's weird how they make a big deal about how Bruce Wayne has to be rich to be able to afford all his gadgets, but because of his secret identity he pretty much has to build all that stuff himself. Or get someone he trusts to do it. He can't start a separate bat-corporation to build this stuff for him.

I mean, in Begins he gets the batmobile by funnelling it to himself via some sort of voodoo accounting and inventory shenanigans, but he can't do that for everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They mention in Begins that he outsources a bunch of stuff in pieces and then puts it together himself. Specifically they say that they order the mask pieces in lots of like 60,000 to avoid suspicion. Also Lucius Fox just builds whatever Bruce wants using Wayne Corporation resources.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jen heir rick posted:

The thing that annoys me about TDKR and guns is how he makes a big deal about how he doesn't use guns, but then he's got these big rear end guns on his bat cycle. I guess he's ok with shooting people if he's on the bat cycle.

Rubber bullets. Honest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Which is a big reason why I hope the new Batman movies will have stories showing Bruce Wayne as the world's greatest detective, instead of strange Welsh man is eclipsed by the supporting cast.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Rubber bullets. Honest.

It's been a while since I watched the Dark Knight, but I seem to remember the batpod's guns were fairly large caliber, also he was blowing up cars (good thing he didn't blow up the car the kids were in! It's not like he was checking them before opening fire)

But even if they were rubber bullets, I feel like their sheer size would make them more than capable of taking someone's head off

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Which is a big reason why I hope the new Batman movies will have stories showing Bruce Wayne as the world's greatest detective, instead of strange Welsh man is eclipsed by the supporting cast.

I know a lot of people aren't liking Gotham but since Bruce in that show is a little kid he actually is focusing more on being a detective right now.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's been a while since I watched the Dark Knight, but I seem to remember the batpod's guns were fairly large caliber, also he was blowing up cars (good thing he didn't blow up the car the kids were in! It's not like he was checking them before opening fire)

But even if they were rubber bullets, I feel like their sheer size would make them more than capable of taking someone's head off

It was a joke based on The Dark Knight Returns comic book. In it Batman drives a Bat-tank and starts shooting people before stating "Rubber bullets, honest."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

I know a lot of people aren't liking Gotham but since Bruce in that show is a little kid he actually is focusing more on being a detective right now.
I'm actually quite liking Gotham, though Gordon is a bit bland - when I saw Donal Logue I thought he was going to be Gordon and got all excited but he's pretty entertaining as Bullock so that'll do I guess. It's better than loving Arrow at any rate.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm actually quite liking Gotham, though Gordon is a bit bland - when I saw Donal Logue I thought he was going to be Gordon and got all excited but he's pretty entertaining as Bullock so that'll do I guess. It's better than loving Arrow at any rate.

I have been ignoring the poo poo out of Gotham and pretty much any tv that isn't POI or Rick and Morty but Donal Logue as Bullock sounds fantastic.

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011
Sorry for breaking batchat

In John Wick when the Russian mob boss is telling somebody about the title character he tells them that the Russian mob used to call Wick "Baba Yaga" which he says just means "the boogeyman." The problem with this is that Baba Yaga is a specific thing in Russian folklore and not just a generic term (also Baba Yaga is female.)

The rest of the movie is good but this just stood out to me.

In Slavic countries Baba Yaga is/was traditionally used as a boogeyman to scare misbehaving children. 'Do what I say, Stefania or Baba Yaga will come and eat you' was a light hearted threat that I've heard a lot as a (Polish) child. I've never seen John Wick but out of context Baba Yaga being used by Russians as a term for generic boogeyman makes sense to me.

stefania_r has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Oct 28, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

syscall girl posted:

I have been ignoring the poo poo out of Gotham and pretty much any tv that isn't POI or Rick and Morty but Donal Logue as Bullock sounds fantastic.
It's no Person of Interest (nothing is though) but yeah, he's great.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Donal Logue is the only reason I'm still watching Gotham. Also I am irrationally irritated that they made the murder of the Waynes into a big conspiracy that they have to solve rather than a random street crime. It just fucks up the mythology.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah Donal Logue is the only reason I'm still watching Gotham. Also I am irrationally irritated that they made the murder of the Waynes into a big conspiracy that they have to solve rather than a random street crime. It just fucks up the mythology.

They sort of hinted the League of Assassins was behind it in Batman Begins, as Ra says something along the lines that the Waynes were ruining their plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know its probably a rating thing to keep it PG-13 but it's kind of goofy how in Les Miserables 2012 Gavroche is killed by magic bullets that don't leave any visible wounds or cause any bleeding.