Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zeether posted:

I'm so goddamn excited. If they add X-Wing Alliance and Outlaws next I'm gonna have to plan a buying spree.

Those and maybe Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Afterlife and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. I'm sure the Dark Forces series will be made available too.

List of LucasArts games
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I'll finally get to play those old-rear end space sims everyone loves. I hope they live up to the mountain of hype built up over the past decade :ohdear:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did all these forum posts go up 16 hours early because all of them are 404'ing for me now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What time are these expected to go live? I have tomorrow off work, and plan to spend a good chunk of it flying x-wings around.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I'll finally get to play those old-rear end space sims everyone loves. I hope they live up to the mountain of hype built up over the past decade :ohdear:

I found X-Wing overly full of bullshit deaths, I didn't get very far and don't really want to play it again. TIE Fighter on the other hand is a genuinely good game with well designed mission progression (so long as you remember that the starting TIE is made of glass) and immersive story arcs, brilliant voice acting throughout and some memorable moments. You may possibly miss a few of the mod-cons from FreeSpace 2 but as long as you keep mashing <enter> to match speed you'll get by just fine.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So hyped for XWing and TIE Fighter :fap:

Just need the Rogue Squadron series to be re-released on Wii U Virtual Console and we're set!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Did all these forum posts go up 16 hours early because all of them are 404'ing for me now.

Same here. :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

They're premature, for whatever reason. Those games won't be on sale for whatever hours are left on the front page counter and the announcement is super duper official.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The posts were early because of a forum software bug that hasn't been fixed for six years.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

They're premature, for whatever reason. Those games won't be on sale for whatever hours are left on the front page counter and the announcement is super duper official.

Just one more company that thinks takebacks exist on the internet I guess :v:

The news is out now, anybody who's even mildly interested in it will know about it within a few hours, as this point they might as well roll with it. Not put their store pages up, obviously, but deleting things never works.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's 15 hours, who cares.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

9.99 a pop seems a bit much for games this old.

Ah who the gently caress am I kidding, I didn't need that $300 that was lying around for some bills for anything anyways...

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I know it's preemptive, but I'm losing my mind over getting to play X-Wing and TIE Fighter again. Any idea if they're going to be the un-texture mapped versions with original audio or if they're the later Windows re-releases with texture maps from XvT and John Williams music?

I prefer the former more than is rational.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deakul posted:

9.99 a pop seems a bit much for games this old.

Ah who the gently caress am I kidding, I didn't need that $300 that was lying around for some bills for anything anyways...
Sam and Max is going to be 6 bucks so they are probably not going to be all the same price.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
And here I thought I'd be done buying stuff from GOG since I was sure they'd never get a hold of the LucasArts catalog.

Looks like the dawn of a new age in buying old PC games is upon us.

And also I can't wait to get a hold of Sam & Max Hit the Road and TIE Fighter/X-Wing!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

AlmightyPants posted:

I know it's preemptive, but I'm losing my mind over getting to play X-Wing and TIE Fighter again. Any idea if they're going to be the un-texture mapped versions with original audio or if they're the later Windows re-releases with texture maps from XvT and John Williams music?

Yeah the dynamic music system in the original game was incredible and the new textures looked terrible anyway, so I hope we get the old version.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

AlmightyPants posted:

They mention in the forum post that both the 1994 and 1998 versions will be available which correspond to the two editions you mention. The 98 versions are inferior in my opinion, although high-rez X-wing might be preferable to 320x200. (The re-release was disappointing for me not least because when I originally bought them the picture printed on the CD didn't match the data on the disc, so you had to put the one marked X-Wing to play TIE Fighter :downs:)

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Veib posted:

I've... I've only ever played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the expansion Balance of Power. The original ones were way before before I started playing PC games and I just never got around to getting them later on.

Might as well try out how they hold up without the absolutely massive nostalgia bonuses everyone else has. I still have my Sidewinder Precision Pro!

For me, in order of quality it's TIE Fighter->X-Wing Alliance->X-Wing->X-wing Vs. TIE Fighter. I remember playing X-Wing Alliance in multiplayer and somebody said X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter was better. I thought it was terrible.

Worst mission I remember was the pre-trench run of the Death Star in X-Wing. You were supposed to blow up hangers and certain towers, while the hangers were easy to destroy there were tons of towers and no way to target them. I remember just flying around in circles blowing up towers not knowing if I was doing something wrong or not. I had to cheat to get past this mission.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh god I lost so many hours of my life to TIE Fighter. The Defender and Missile Boat were game breaking but so much fun. I'm glad they're releasing the Collector's Edition because gently caress the Win95 releases based off the XvT engine.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

You know what's weird to me? X-Wing and TIE Fighter both came out before Doom. Doom released in December 1994 1993, X-Wing February 1993, TIE Fighter July 1994. These things were full 3D too.

Edit: drat, Doom released December 1993. My memory is shot, thanks Disney. X-Wing came out almost a year before though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh god I lost so many hours of my life to TIE Fighter. The Defender and Missile Boat were game breaking but so much fun. I'm glad they're releasing the Collector's Edition because gently caress the Win95 releases based off the XvT engine.

Missile boat with the speed booster (SLAM?), diverting all laser energy to engines, and stocked with several hundred concussion missiles etc was some of the most fun I've had.

Tie fighter was a really amazing game for me when I was a kid. I don't still have a sidewinder pro kicking around, but I'm definitely going to try and hook up a hotas setup to it. It's an X52 though, and the dead zone / response curve on it makes it a little weird for space sims if my experience with freespace was anything to go by. I miss that old sidewinder :(
Of course, even for the x52 I'll have to dig that out of a gigantic box which is a congealed solid mass of wires, consoles, controllers, and random hardware after my last move.

e: wasn't the original tie fighter release on 5 floppies or something? I think I still have those somewhere, along with the cd re-release.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 28, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yaos posted:

You know what's weird to me? X-Wing and TIE Fighter both came out before Doom. Doom released in December 1994 1993, X-Wing February 1993, TIE Fighter July 1994. These things were full 3D too.

Edit: drat, Doom released December 1993. My memory is shot, thanks Disney. X-Wing came out almost a year before though.

Ultima Underworld came out March 1992. I wish I was one of the five richest kings of Europe to have a game that could play that on max settings, it probably blew a lot of minds.

And The Elder Scrolls Arena was initially meant to make a December 1993 launch. No way in hell arena would have dethroned Doom but comparing the tech side by side I would be far more impressed by Arena. Just goes to show you that Doom's success wasn't just good graphics and a fast engine, it was a drat good game.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

It was pointed out in the GOG thread that TIE Fighter of all things is now trending on Facebook. Anybody know if this somehow matches up with all the private data they steal or are a ton of people talking about TIE Fighter now?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

If they announced they were bringing Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction to PC somehow it would be like Triple Christmas

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Please please Day Of The Tentacle!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

If they announced they were bringing Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction to PC somehow it would be like Triple Christmas

Hmmm, I'll take the sequel, thanks.

Oh wait, LucasArts published Armed & Dangerous! Sharkgun, alright!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

quote:

LucasArts

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

I think alot of my posts have been bitching about Tie Fighter not being on the list. I can't wait to play it again without worrying about a CD. On the Tie Fighter Special Edition, you got every single briefing voice acted n' poo poo, It's great. Seriously, you need to play this poo poo, It's my loving childhood man

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fargin Icehole posted:

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

I think alot of my posts have been bitching about Tie Fighter not being on the list. I can't wait to play it again without worrying about a CD. On the Tie Fighter Special Edition, you got every single briefing voice acted n' poo poo, It's great.

As long as you Serve The Emperor above ALL Others. :science:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LastCaress posted:

Please please Day Of The Tentacle!

This and Full Throttle.

I know the puzzles were too easy in Full Throttle but that game's goofy style is just great.

Yaos posted:

Worst mission I remember was the pre-trench run of the Death Star in X-Wing. You were supposed to blow up hangers and certain towers, while the hangers were easy to destroy there were tons of towers and no way to target them. I remember just flying around in circles blowing up towers not knowing if I was doing something wrong or not. I had to cheat to get past this mission.

And, coincidentally the Death Star 2 mission is amazing in Alliance. I still remember taking a wrong turn inside it and finding myself facing deep space but unable to exit. My question was answered when the massive green death beam hit me.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 28, 2014

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Oh snap, all the lucas arts games? I guess my classic PC gaming binge gets to continue!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I can't wait to see people raging hard over the one defense mission in X-Wing that's so hard there's a novelization that shows the right way to beat it. :allears:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Balance of power was hard as gently caress singleplayer, to the point where I'm not sure how people beat it multiplayer

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm psyched about playing Tie Fighter again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I need to dig through all my computer junk and see if I have my .PLT files somewhere.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

al-azad posted:

Hmmm, I'll take the sequel, thanks.

Oh wait, LucasArts published Armed & Dangerous! Sharkgun, alright!

Y-you'll take Mercenaries 2 over 1?... I... uh... just... :frogout:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

^^^ Yeah, been playing 2 and while it's nice that there are more vehicles, variety of maps, the core combat and mission structure just isn't as much fun. Deck of 52 Forever. ^^^

Mokinokaro posted:

This and Full Throttle.

I know the puzzles were too easy in Full Throttle but that game's goofy style is just great.

I love a Lucasarts game with a Road Rash combat system AND Mark Hamil V/O

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I literally just got all the Star Wars flight sim games working on my machine a few weeks ago.

Well I guess this'll make it easier in the future.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

They mention in the forum post that both the 1994 and 1998 versions will be available which correspond to the two editions you mention. The 98 versions are inferior in my opinion, although high-rez X-wing might be preferable to 320x200. (The re-release was disappointing for me not least because when I originally bought them the picture printed on the CD didn't match the data on the disc, so you had to put the one marked X-Wing to play TIE Fighter :downs:)

Oh you mean these discs?

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 28, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

axeil posted:

I literally just got all the Star Wars flight sim games working on my machine a few weeks ago.

Well I guess this'll make it easier in the future.

I'm very, very curious to see how hassle free they end up being.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm very, very curious to see how hassle free they end up being.

To install it currently you need:

-A 32 bit installer that you can only find by scouring mid-2000s era message boards
-A text editor that allows you to modify the .exe for modern resolutions
-Special Direct3D .dlls OR very specific graphic card drivers
-Special compatability fixes again found in mid-2000s era message board
-Prayer

Anything has to be easier than that.

I hope my save games transfer... And I also hope they get X-Wing Alliance in there.

RentACop posted:

Balance of power was hard as gently caress singleplayer, to the point where I'm not sure how people beat it multiplayer

gently caress that "scan all the Rebel capital ships" mission. It took me years to finish the Imperial BoP campaign. And then the next mission is even more insane.

I can't imagine doing either of those with humans playing as the enemy.

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Deakul posted:

Y-you'll take Mercenaries 2 over 1?... I... uh... just... :frogout:

yeah wtf mercs 2 loving blows. the only good thing about it was the funny commercial