Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
App13
Dec 31, 2011

Incendiary Pig posted:

You guys remember that MTV show Bully Beatdown? Because it's loving awesome. Watch some episodes on YouTube if you don't believe me.

Holy poo poo that show was my biggest guilty pleasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control

App13 posted:

Holy poo poo that show was my biggest guilty pleasure

The best part is when you go back and see guys that are a pretty big deal in MMA right now as complete nobodies. Eddie Alvarez, Tyron Woodley, Daniel Cormier...

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I have to add a new one now that I've moved to within a half-hour of the Mexican border: Dirty, hole-in-the-wall taco joints. I'm surrounded by them, and one of them will probably end up giving me salmonella poisoning some day, but damned if I can't get enough of $4.00 carne asada burritos and $1 cabeza/chicharron/lenguas tacos.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Miz Kriss posted:

Put me down as another lover of lovely boxed dinners. I had tuna helper earlier this week and I don't regret it.

I also read young adult science fiction series, my favorite being The Lunar Chronicles. I'm 26.

The Lunar Chronicles are good books. They're incredibly predictable and one-dimensional but they're still very compelling to read. I just hope they never try to make a movie from them because I can't imagine it being anything other than absolute garbage.

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004
I've fully played through Oni at least twice and made it through most of the game a couple of times more. I know the levels are crap. They were "designed by actual architects!" which makes them boring as hell but I don't care. It has places you can instantly fall to your death for no good reason. It even has unskippable cut scenes which are normally something that will make me immediately swear off of a game - but not this one. It even has a laughably bad plot. Yet I still enjoy playing it. I cannot explain this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Something I've been binging through on netflix is definitely terrible, but I can't stop. The "Unsealed: ____ Files" - I think there are only Alien Files and Conspiracy Files right now. There is a bit of overlap between the two, but I love listening to crazy people talk about secret nazi bases in Antarctica/time traveling hitler, alien battles in Dulce, New Mexico, etc. In pretty much every story the argument always boils down to "this sounds completely crazy and can't possibly be true...or can it?", usually said with an ominous sound effect by Bill Birnes (PhD, as they like to remind you every time he's on screen) via a lovely-audio skype call.

My favorite episodes are the Dulce base stuff. If you thought the alien labs under the Denver airport conspiracy theory was crazy, this one takes it to another level. They show some layout of the base some ~informant~ drew for them that is seriously just a rectangle with 7 levels and an elevator down the middle drawn in what I like to think is crayons. This is the lab where we work together with aliens to create human+reptilian hybrids and also harvest human organs to feed the aliens, I guess. I don't know - it seems like every episode they change the story about what the purpose of this thing is. Then one time a human tried to go down to the alien-only levels and started a war, and one of the guests on the show was totally there and lost 3 of his fingers from an alien laser beam. This is all interspersed between more mundane things like standard abductions, cattle mutilations, alien implants, etc.

I'm pretty sure the show is at least a little self-aware because it is pretty hilarious (at least, I think it is) at times. It seems to be a show whose target audience finds Ancient Aliens too tame and reasonable. Terrible, but I can't stop watching.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Love aliens? There's an astounding old movie called "Overlords of the UFO". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhoeZi9nek

It's glorious.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Sometimes, I remember Deadliest Warrior and sigh wistfully as I think of all the matches that it didn't cover. And then I punch myself in the face for wanting it back because it was not a good show by any metric other than the Bloodthirsty Frat Boy Grading System. However, I will declare that the Vampires vs. Zombies episode is one of the greatest things ever shown on TV with no shame whatsoever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Deadliest Warrior was a great show except for the episode of the Maori Warrior vs Shaolin Monk because obviously that was a completely incompatible matchup.

:colbert:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
You complain about an incompatible matchup and you didn't mention Knight vs Pirate at all. How?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The best Deadliest Warrior episodes were the very political ones that likely got Spike TV angry letters. I'm talking episodes like IRA/Taliban and Nazi SS/Viet Cong. The Nazi episode had a very awkward moment where the host tried to talk-up the flamethrower just demonstrated totally unaware the German military dudes didn't want to say anything positive about Nazis.

The show was total trash-TV and the frat-boy enthusiasm of one of the hosts was annoying but drat was it a guilty pleasure. Though you had to stay away from online discussion on episodes because holy crap did the spergs come out of the woodwork every week.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Deadliest Warrior ended?

My favorite part was the terrible endings where they played out the actual battle. The best was when the James Gang took on Al Capone's mob in a historical museum filled with working weapons.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

... I guess I'm taking a roundabout way to do the (or Request) part of this subforum and ask for some heist comedies, I seriously don't give a gently caress how awful they are.

If you read, I suggest you check out the Dortmunder novels written by Donald Westlake. There's some movies based on the books, but the books are way better. Westlake is the absolute master of the comic heist novel. Actually he's the master of the hard-boiled heist novel also, writing under the name Richard Stark. The character Parker in Leverage is named after the protagonist of his hard-boiled heist novels. He basically invented the genre and influenced everyone from Lawrence Block to Elmore Leonard. You asked for comedies though so I recommend starting with the Dortmunder books he wrote under his real name.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MojoAZ posted:

If you read, I suggest you check out the Dortmunder novels written by Donald Westlake.
Oh yeah, I love a good book. Thanks; I'll look this up next time I do an Amazon run.

Well, I love lovely books, too. I'm a very undiscerning man.

Supersonic Shine posted:

You complain about an incompatible matchup and you didn't mention Knight vs Pirate at all. How?
Because I wanted Pirate to win and he did :v:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Justin Godscock posted:

The best Deadliest Warrior episodes were the very political ones that likely got Spike TV angry letters. I'm talking episodes like IRA/Taliban and Nazi SS/Viet Cong. The Nazi episode had a very awkward moment where the host tried to talk-up the flamethrower just demonstrated totally unaware the German military dudes didn't want to say anything positive about Nazis.

The show was total trash-TV and the frat-boy enthusiasm of one of the hosts was annoying but drat was it a guilty pleasure. Though you had to stay away from online discussion on episodes because holy crap did the spergs come out of the woodwork every week.

I did kind of like season 3, when they got rid of one of the moron douchebag hosts, and replaced him with a military guy. I think they started talking more about tactics that season, too. And their choice of weapon was usually a bit better.

My favorite part was the doctor, who they had standing around, having to try and come up with new ways to say, "Oh yeah. He's dead." Each time a weapon would be used on whatever they were testing it on.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The two things I learned from Wildboys are "Cassowaries will loving YOU UP BECAUSE THEY ARE STONE COLD loving KILLERS HOLYSHIT" and "Sarcophilus Satanicus".

My favorite episode of Wildboys was the Costa Rica episode because the guys went to a sloth sanctuary and Chris Pontius said that he basically wanted his children to be baby sloths ("I'd have to marry a very hairy, lazy woman") and then they did a bit on the Jesus Lizard in a swimming pool and were absolutely in hysterics that the lizard really could run on water. I also had a crush on Chris Pontius for a while and I am pretty hairy and lazy so I thought maybe I had a chance. Oh, and the Alaska episode with Steve-O dressed as a bear talking about how he didn't want to have to fight a grizzly to protect his friends, but he would if he had to, was the best.

I watched "House of Carters" obsessively when it came out. It was a reality show about pop stars Nick and Aaron Carter and their three sisters and horribly dysfunctional family. I just hated that the show tried to make everything look nice and happy at the end of each episode. Nick's alcoholism was readily apparent in at least one episode, and one of the sisters died recently, I think from drug-related causes, and the family blamed Nick for it. It was kind of awful watching these obviously hosed-up people as the show pretended there was nothing more going on. But when they were just hanging around being idiots it was pretty great.

I really enjoy watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and judging the families and brides, and yelling that they're all the same dress.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Oct 10, 2014

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I did like "Video on Trial." It's this Canadian show on Muchmusic where obnoxious, unfunny hosts pick on music videos. It's just neat. :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PicklePants posted:

I did kind of like season 3, when they got rid of one of the moron douchebag hosts, and replaced him with a military guy. I think they started talking more about tactics that season, too. And their choice of weapon was usually a bit better.

My favorite part was the doctor, who they had standing around, having to try and come up with new ways to say, "Oh yeah. He's dead." Each time a weapon would be used on whatever they were testing it on.

Season 3 was the worst, they replaced the hilariously obnoxious computer nerd with that fucker who always whispers from Futureweapons and made The World's Worst Doctor even more prominent.

Best (worst) moment from Season 3 was the Doctor praising the efficiency of Pol Pot's massacre tactics IN FRONT OF A DUDE WHO SURVIVED THE KHMER ROUGE GENOCIDE

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
The Deadliest Warrior was an awesome show and I won't hear any different.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Commando is one of my favourite movies. It's just so stupid that it loops around to being awesome.

I listen to way more 80's synth pop and early 90's european dance music than any other genre.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Celery Face posted:

80's synth pop

I'm pretty sure liking New Order from the '80s is kosher. I don't have any excuse for liking their stuff from the 2000s though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wflNtNou7sk&t=20s

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I collect vintage/old Variflex skate boards.

No I don't skateboard at all, I mount them on my wall as the pieces of art they are. I prefer one's that are heavily scarred and used because they look the coolest.

Pretty much the pogs of skateboards.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Reality(ish) TV.

I unironically loved that white trash show Buckwild. Now that it's gone, I'm unreasonably excited for the Alaskan version. Just something about rock stupid young adults doing stupid things on TV for no good reason really makes me happy. I can't wait to watch it, it's like I'm the Jane Goodall of studying the behavior of redneck idiots. It's better than going to Wal Mart at 3 am.

Also I loved Catfish even though I know it's fake and staged. I don't care about anything other than Nev and Max's bromance and the crazier poo poo gets, the better. Christ, I even love Teen Mom and Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers & Tiaras and Dance Mom and all of those shows about weird bearded men living in Alaska or way out in the sticks. I love the wilderness survival shows. Who knew piss drinking would turn out so hilarious?

Basically it's a sickness.

I think I laughed at Total Blackout more than I've laughed at anything, ever. Putting gullible idiots in the dark and making them shriek at mundane poo poo is the best idea anyone has ever had.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I generally dislike reality tv, and I kind of loathe the fashion industry, but drat it if I don't love America's Next Top Model - not that the show has much to do with the later, at least not anymore. I've seen most seasons at least twice, some of them thrice, and I go to blogs and messageboards to read other people's snarky recaps and rankings of the contestants.

As entertaining as Tyra Banks' increasingly desperate and ridiculous antics are, I do like the older seasons more. After season 19 where she gave the boot to half the regular judges and brought in new boring/terrible ones and a stupid social media aspect, I was ready to finally give up on the show, move past it and heal. I told my friends the only way my interest could be rekindled is if they brought in some male model contestants.

...Then they announced the 20th Cycle's theme to be "Girls Vs Boys" and made half the cast guys. And the current Cycle 21 is following the same formula. So here I am, still tuning in to marvel at the stupid bullshit (and the total cuteness that is Will).

Tyra really has me by the (figurative) balls. :negative:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Deadliest Warrior was great and spawned 3 hilarious video games, but Mack 'Mac "Mack" Mak' Mackowitz was a terrible addition to the show.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I like really bad genre books, especially for before bed reading because the less I have to think the better. Matter of fact, the new Drizzt book just came out. I'm sorry for this.

Amen brother. Warhammer books are my new favorite for recreational reading. So pulpy and fun.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Those dumb clickbait articles on facebook. Yes I do want to know the 10 Hollywood actresses who used to be fat or 8 former celebrities that used are now broke. I can't stop clicking them and i'm sure a million companies now have my information for marketing purposes.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I rag on my mom for watching 19 Kids and Counting, but if I'm in the same room, I can't look away.

The Duggars are a horrible trainwreck that draw me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I was disproportionately excited tonight when I learned that the new season of Moonshiners started.

• Locked thread