Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Your Danskos are fine for walking, dummy.

E: by that I mean for serving, I don't know poo poo about wearing a half size too big because I cocktailed and bartended for two years in ~4in stilettos and my feet are comically ruined by it.

I just can't see how wearing clogs would lead to anything but disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm looking to migrate from fine dining to baking professionally at the beginning of next year. I have some basic bakery experience from a private club I baked at, but that was more pastry and dessert focused. Ideally, I'd like to work at a small, down-tempo bakery, but that's not really what I'm asking about. What baking books would bakers here deem essential for someone that's comfortable baking, but needs to broaden their knowledge and technique?

E: It would help to have info on scones and other cafe staples, I'm betting I'd be working a lot with those, judging from my area.

Pretty sure I've plugged it here before, but along with all the other good suggestions so far, Ratio is a really good read, and a good basis to start out from so that once you start fiddling with recipes, you know why poo poo works and what it's all based off of.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
One of the sousesesesessses' at work lent me a copy of Ratio and I can confirm it's fantastic. I'm also poking slowly, slowly, oh so slowly, through The Modernist Cuisine which'll give you the scientific once over on all manner of bread and sweet and incidentally every other loving edible substance known to mankind in the last 6,000 years.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Your Danskos are fine for walking, dummy.

E: by that I mean for serving, I don't know poo poo about wearing a half size too big because I cocktailed and bartended for two years in ~4in stilettos and my feet are comically ruined by it.

That sounds like a loving nightmare.

I worked with a foh lady that would complain to me that her back and feet were killing her, she's too old for this poo poo, needs actual service shoes, bla bla. I told her to check out Dansko and Birkis and whatever and she poo-pooed it, saying "that poo poo is fine for kitchen people, but servers have to wear stuff that actually looks good." It's ridiculous that that expectation (even if it was imagined on her part) exists.

I enjoyed the hell out of Ratio. Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking" is another fantastic tome of culinary knowledge.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Naelyan posted:

Pretty sure I've plugged it here before, but along with all the other good suggestions so far, Ratio is a really good read, and a good basis to start out from so that once you start fiddling with recipes, you know why poo poo works and what it's all based off of.

I actually already have Ratio, as well as the app, but it's a solid recommendation not just for my situation but for anyone who wants to better understand the mechanics behind many dishes.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've been invited to do a day in the kitchen of a Michelin star restaurant in Chicago.

How can I not appear to be a total fuckwit? Is this possible at all?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Hopefully you know how to cook, otherwise you're screwed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cavenagh posted:

I've been invited to do a day in the kitchen of a Michelin star restaurant in Chicago.

Which one? Is it Tru? If so, can I mock you through the window in the M-Burger dining room?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright I'm buying a food truck, should be mine in the next 2-3 weeks.

Time to work more than 12 hours a day! gently caress yeah.

Also I'm going to need to hire some more people.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Where are you at? I want to work on a food truck.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cavenagh posted:

if you have to ask, then nope, not really

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

brick cow posted:

Where are you at? I want to work on a food truck.

San Antonio, Texas.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Gonna have that poo poo ready for San Antonio Cocktail Conference? Because I will eat the poo poo out of your burnt ends.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Vegetable Melange posted:

Gonna have that poo poo ready for San Antonio Cocktail Conference? Because I will eat the poo poo out of your burnt ends.

It should be ready by that time. But I won have BBQ on the truck. Too many great ones down here. But Smoke Shack has some crazy good BBQ, I will take you there for lunch one day if you want.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It should be ready by that time. But I won have BBQ on the truck. Too many great ones down here. But Smoke Shack has some crazy good BBQ, I will take you there for lunch one day if you want.

I'm trying to figure out when we're gonna be there, but I'll happily eat some smoked meat and pair it with cocktails. I'll give the heads up.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I'm off today, but I'd rather be at work because I'm kinda bored. loving stockholm syndrome hurts so good/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm off today, but I'd rather be at work because I'm kinda bored. loving stockholm syndrome hurts so good/

jack off

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Obligatory.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

is it really, AVeryLargeRadish?

is it really?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

is it really, AVeryLargeRadish?

is it really?

Is that thread yearly? I saw two of those in the past few years some goons comes in and asks about jerking off into food.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The People know what the People want and the People wanna eat cum, yo.

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
Anyone cook on a French hot plate at work? One of those single 18k btu burner deals? I get to put together a wishlist for a new store and haven't cooked on one since school (but remember loving it). And do they go by a different name? GiS isn't helping much and I need some visuals to make my case.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lol if you don't get a super hilarious industrial induction burner.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Lol if you don't get a super hilarious industrial induction burner.

Eat the goddamn eggs, ricola.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vegetable Melange posted:

Eat the goddamn eggs, ricola.

I really just want to quote this because it makes me laugh. Also being suddenly in charge of your kitchen is both a wonderful and horrifying feeling, holy poo poo. Also also I just spent a week in Montreal and goddam do those motherfuckers know how to food. Toque was average at best, though. Super overrated.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Qvindtar posted:

Anyone cook on a French hot plate at work? One of those single 18k btu burner deals? I get to put together a wishlist for a new store and haven't cooked on one since school (but remember loving it). And do they go by a different name? GiS isn't helping much and I need some visuals to make my case.

You'll have to get some images from your equipment dealers. French tops aren't used much anymore because they're cast iron partitions with runoff gaps right over 18k btu burners with no grease trap. It's basically a grease fire waiting to happen. I have one at work and love the thing, but someone in the 80s decided to build that whole line into the wall so I can't move it over to my banquet line. It will forever rot on the dead line.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Naelyan posted:

I really just want to quote this because it makes me laugh. Also being suddenly in charge of your kitchen is both a wonderful and horrifying feeling, holy poo poo. Also also I just spent a week in Montreal and goddam do those motherfuckers know how to food. Toque was average at best, though. Super overrated.

Even with all of the high-end places in Montreal, I still miss Schwartz's the most. When I go home to Ottawa next year, I fully intend to spend a day of gluttony in Montreal.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rockzilla posted:

Even with all of the high-end places in Montreal, I still miss Schwartz's the most. When I go home to Ottawa next year, I fully intend to spend a day of gluttony in Montreal.

Schwartz's was awesome. I was in there getting my smoked meat on when the guy who sat down beside me said "Hey Frankie" and (apparently) Frankie said "Hey. The usual?" and proceeded to just give this guy and his wife a few plates full of food. It was exactly what I expected, and it was wonderful.

Also a shout out to Le Bremner because even though it's Chuck Hughes "other restaurant" it was probably the best dining experience I've had in my life. Danny is cool as poo poo, the food was impeccable, and the cocktails were loving unbelievable. The place was just fantastic.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
double-scheduled this morning on a single-open at 6:45

surprise day off!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Safety Dance posted:

Which one? Is it Tru? If so, can I mock you through the window in the M-Burger dining room?

It's El Ideas. You can still mock though.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I've posted in this thread before thanking you guys for the 'how to' on getting into this industry. I started in the dish pit, and now 3 years later, I'm in a Hotline position at a modern Izakaya restaurant, and I'm being told by the head chef it's possible for me to go to the new restaurant opening in a year in a higher position. I really like this profession and I'm glad to be a part of it. Making Tempura sucks some times though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
We are piloting pizzas tonight at the pub. The first 4 that went out were met with lots of enthusiasm. The. A table of fatties came in and ordered one.

It's 12 inches, with a basil pesto base, fresh mozzarella, chèvre and house made pastrami topped with microgreens and edible flower petals.

They stared at it in shock and horror. I don't think they read the menu.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Tell us more about your 12" of fattie destruction.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We are piloting pizzas tonight at the pub. The first 4 that went out were met with lots of enthusiasm. The. A table of fatties came in and ordered one.

It's 12 inches, with a basil pesto base, fresh mozzarella, chèvre and house made pastrami topped with microgreens and edible flower petals.

What? No garlic-olive oil spread?

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 7, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That sounds amazing. Did the fatties try to return it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Frank Viola posted:

What? No garlic-olive oil spread?

We'll the basil pesto has garlic and basil and olive oil that I spread on the crust itself.. Does that count?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That sounds amazing. Did the fatties try to return it?

No they asked for two sides of ranch and doused that all over it. It broke my heart.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gently caress that, that pizza sounds amazing. Not comfort-food amazing like I'd expect out of a pub pizza, but amazing.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

topped with microgreens and edible flower petals.

:jerkbag:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No they asked for two sides of ranch and doused that all over it. It broke my heart.

was gonna make a "pass the ranch" joke but figured it was too obvious of a 'you're a fatty' joke, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yeah yeah yeah but what else aside from purple and green sprouts and flowers makes pizza look so loving pretty?

• Locked thread