Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I think it's time we call in a danger close mission to where we are now, and where the Russians will hopefully be in a couple of minutes. So far it seems we've mostly been shelling behind their actual lines.

Fell Fire posted:

Mortars: We have one mortar left, with 2 crewmen, and the 4 mortar support personnel. Is it possible to combine them? Beyond that, does anyone have advice on using them? I am not sure how effective they will be.

Don't know about combining them but your problem right now is that the mortars are out of contact. You need to move the 4 platoon HQ (the one near the mortars) next to the mortars. This will make them available again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stay where we are, blast anything that moves to the east and doesn't wear a swastika. I should be in cover.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

markus_cz posted:

Don't know about combining them but your problem right now is that the mortars are out of contact. You need to move the 4 platoon HQ (the one near the mortars) next to the mortars. This will make them available again.

Are these the correct locations?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Fell Fire posted:

Are these the correct locations?

Yes, those are yours. You just need to move them closer.

Don't know what the hell are the ammunition guys doing on the road. Are those yours? Perhaps the panicked guys from the shelling? Might want to issue an order to move them back.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Bacarruda posted:

*JcDent, you may want to have some guys recover weapons and ammo from the squad killed in an airstrike a few turns back.

I think my lot spent two updates lounging around around, taunting IL-2s. Was that enough time to pick the stuff dropped by their buds?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it me or are our scouts about 3 meters away from Soviet infantry?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the German infantry, eyes like hawks. Anyway, could someone upgdate the order spreadsheet? I would, but rather don't know how.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Fires Plan:

I'm going to let the current missions finish. Then I'll call in Missions 1, 2, and/or 3. Kenzie, be prepared to move spotters who can call in those missions.

Why are we letting the phantom mission continue? I would be pissed if not only are the shells not landing, but they're counted as being used up. Or maybe the problem is they're already out of ammo.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, could someone upgdate the order spreadsheet? I would, but rather don't know how.

OK. I've created a new column for this turn (began on Oct 28). It's empty now so if you've already posted your orders to a different column, please repost them to this one.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

For those of you on the MLR. SOVIET ARTILLERY AND AIRCRAFT WILL BE COMING.

Which reminds me - should I button up? The last thing I want is for our Tiger to get neutered because the commander gets hit by shrapnel or an enemy air attack.

I might just button up in case for this turn, and turn out again once the danger is (presumably) past.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

You should be able to access the spreadsheet here. If not, try the link in my page 1 post.

markus_cz posted:

Yes, those are yours. You just need to move them closer.

Don't know what the hell are the ammunition guys doing on the road. Are those yours? Perhaps the panicked guys from the shelling? Might want to issue an order to move them back.
Yes, they should have moved to scavenge with the mortars man, but didn't. The marked HQ is actually Mortar section HQ, 1-4 Platoon HQ is the one you've given orders to in the troll forest, I believe.

Mans posted:

Is it me or are our scouts about 3 meters away from Soviet infantry?

They had a close encounter (and lost 1 guy) but those infantry are long gone.

JcDent posted:

I think my lot spent two updates lounging around around, taunting IL-2s. Was that enough time to pick the stuff dropped by their buds?
Should be. In your orders, ask Grey what they've managed to loot.

markus_cz posted:

OK. I've created a new column for this turn (began on Oct 28). It's empty now so if you've already posted your orders to a different column, please repost them to this one.

Thanks!

Dralun, If you're here, post. We can't afford to lose company commanders at this stage!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 29, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

No changes.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bacarruda posted:

That's a very high-risk, high-reward plan. Losing their IS-2 would be a devastating blow to Soviet morale. On the other hand, that Panther represents 25% of our remaining tank force.

I need to know a few hings before I approve or nix the idea.

What about the IS-2 in the south, the T-34s in town, and the ISU-152 in the center? Can any of them see the Panther? Could any of them be moved to see the Panther as it attacks?

I'm worried the Panther may get hit from behind/the side as it climbs the hill. Looking in-game, it looks like one of the southern T-34s might be be able to hit the Panther from the rear.

I tried replicating the enemy tank positions and none of them could see the panther as it climbed the hill. The biggest threat would have been that southern is2, but it looks like the sovs actually moved that thing in the last turn. It can't see poo poo now. I'd like to post more detailed stuff in a few hours when I get home. Phone posting right now.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Quick question, how does the targeting routine handle target area orders? I know there are dudes in that field crawling around, if I order target area fire will my guys spray down the location at the expense of directed fire at spotted units? Ideally I want to suppress the area and panic the Soviet infantry and kill any of them that stand up, so what's the best order to do that?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nothing here, wrong thread.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Since it's getting late over here, and I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Tiger VIE

Button up.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

3rd Platoon, 2nd Company

Soviets still have planes and artillery, time to find a roof over our heads and rest some more:

- Team 2a (by the southern wooden bridge/gully): MOVE inside the building you're standing outside of. HIDE.
(e: Speaking of which, check that team 3a (one building over to the north) is UNHIDDEN and FACING east.)

- Team 2-schrek (currently crossing the main road): MOVE inside the nearest building to your west along the same fence. HIDE
- HQ team: MOVE inside the building closest to you (it's just to the north-east). FACE east.
- Team 1a (lone man moving northward, north of the village buildings): continue MOVE to re-join your squad. MERGE squad. Merged squad continues to FACE east.

Horns of Hattin fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 29, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Velius posted:

Quick question, how does the targeting routine handle target area orders? I know there are dudes in that field crawling around, if I order target area fire will my guys spray down the location at the expense of directed fire at spotted units? Ideally I want to suppress the area and panic the Soviet infantry and kill any of them that stand up, so what's the best order to do that?

With area fire, they won't just shoot at that one spot like a zombie. They'll fire at obvious targets that pop up, especially targets in the same area that you ordered them to shoot at. They won't fire at really distant targets that they don't consider a threat though. I really think you should area target that spot. They won't be able to do anything about it. If you dont , your guys will stop firing and let the enemy recover. I want you to keep firing and utterly break those units! Don't give them a chance to breathe.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Dralun, you need to get orders in.

JcDent, Kangra, and TehKeen, if your company commander doesn't get orders in please refer to my orders post for this turn. It'll give you an idea of your goals for the next few turns (retreat, reorganize, dig in).

People with PMs/Platinum, please PM Dralun ASAP and get him in here.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Yes, they should have moved to scavenge with the mortars man, but didn't. The marked HQ is actually Mortar section HQ, 1-4 Platoon HQ is the one you've given orders to in the troll forest, I believe.

Thank you for the clarification. I was not even aware there was such a unit.

Revised 1-4 Company Orders

HQ: Move QUICK as indicated in the image.

Mans: Current position seems fine. You might actually get to do something soon!

CM: Positioning of Gun 1 looks good. I am a little concerned that Gun 2 is too far back to support, though. Looking at the most recent map, it is well behind the current defensive line and I don't know how well it can see. Please consider repositioning.

Mortars: Move units QUICK as indicated in the image. We have one mortar left, with 2 crewmen, and the 4 mortar support personnel. Combine units if possible. Please advise if this is not possible.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I tried replicating the enemy tank positions and none of them could see the panther as it climbed the hill. The biggest threat would have been that southern is2, but it looks like the sovs actually moved that thing in the last turn. It can't see poo poo now. I'd like to post more detailed stuff in a few hours when I get home. Phone posting right now.

Ok, as long as the Panther's flanks and rear are clear, I'll OK the mission. Killing 2-3 IS-2s would gut Soviet morale.

Arbite can attack, but I'll leave it up to him. It's an option, not an order.

If Arbite does decide to go with it, we'll need to make sure we're crystal clear about the exact movement details and risks involved. I'd like to spend about 30min on roll20 with the relevant officers (Arbite, Kenzie, and gradenko) to go over the details.

Velius would need to suppress the Russian infantry ahead of him, just to be on the safe side.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Colors mark movement, pointed blue arrows for facing. All orders on the first image are immediate, all on the second have pauses. If for some reason the marked units are not teams 1A and 1C, ensure that the teams in 1st Squad meet up at the point indicated.

Please ensure all units except the HQ have TARGET CLEAR.

1/1/HQ
Move normal, a bit to the west. (probably right into the smoke cloud.)

1/1/1
Move FAST, then QUICK. Re-form what's left into a squad. Heinrich, you're the new squad leader.

1/1/2
1/1/2/A
Retreat to north at position shown.

1/1/2/B
Cancel current move and hold position, setting facing as shown.

1/1/2/C
Move back toward town along the edge of the woods. Exercise is good for you.

1/1/3
Pause for times indicated, then retreat west FAST, then northwest to position and facing shown.
1/1/3/A : 30 seconds
1/1/3/B : 10 seconds
1/1/3/C : 15 seconds

--- End of Orders --

These are preliminary, and could change depending on what the captain has to say.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

We seem to have been chased out of our home by artillery (after killing a few Russians it looked like), so the unit should be somewhere near the green circle. Unit should FAST along the green line, then QUICK along the blue line and into the house circled in blue, then FACE along the yellow arrow.

Make sure we have DEPLOYED and CANCEL any target arcs.

Note: FellFire, I know Gun 2 is a bit far back for the current troops but as we fall back to the MLR, it should be able to provide cover for retreating troops. I can move it if anyone has a better suggested location, but the farther up location I was in was being shelled by mortars.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

If you aren't where I ordered you, get there. If you are, stay there.

Grey: Say my unit breaks mid-turn (minute, not orders) but recovers by the start of the next turn. Do you give him the orders I had or do you let him sit until our next orders phase? Mind you I'm not asking because I saw this I'm just curious since we do multiple minutes per orders phase.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

So looking in the game again, I'm starting to think it might be a little too risky to move that Panther up, just because of this one T-34:

We can't see its exact location so I really can't guarantee that the Panther will be safe. I'm not too worried about the other Russian tanks, just this one. It might be able to see the rear of the Panther from a few spots on that road. I think the Panther will probably be able to make it there and get some shots off, knocking out one or two IS-2s before they can react, but we might lose the Panther in the process.

Moving the Panther around here, right at the edge of the farm, could be another option:

This spot might be safer from the tanks to the south, but all three IS-2s will be within its LOS. The Panther could still take out the IS-2s from here and it could penetrate even their frontal armor at such a short range. I tried this in the game and it actually knocked out all three IS-2s, again from a hull down position while the IS-2s were buttoned up.

What happens really depends on what the Russians decide to do on the next turn. We might want to wait just one more turn and see what happens. Another option would be to move the Panther over into the next field in preparation for an attack, without actually committing just yet.

The 88s and King Tiger might end up knocking out at least one of the IS-2s in the next couple of minutes, and if an opportunity presents itself depending on what the Russian tanks in the south end up doing, the Panther will already be in a position to make a quick dash up the hill to finish off those IS-2s.

That's not my tank of course, so it's not up to me. I'm probably gonna feel bad when I end up getting the tank blown up or something. :ohdear:

We will want to be very clear and very careful about the exact spot where we put it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The team that got strafed, report on stuff you managed to collect before getting into the house!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

2 Companie, Platoon 4, 1 HMG Section (2 x MG42s): Velius, located at McDonald's Farm, map reference K-L 4. "McDonald's Zippers"
Zoomed-out map reference:

Squad 1, in the L-shaped building: Target area in the image. There's a small hill there so getting line of sight is tricky if you go too far into the field. Being exact is not important.

Squad 2, behind the sandbags (incorrectly placed in my image, sorry!), maintain current orders!

Velius fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 30, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Kenzie posted:

So looking in the game again, I'm starting to think it might be a little too risky to move that Panther up, just because of this one T-34:

We can't see its exact location so I really can't guarantee that the Panther will be safe. I'm not too worried about the other Russian tanks, just this one. It might be able to see the rear of the Panther from a few spots on that road. I think the Panther will probably be able to make it there and get some shots off, knocking out one or two IS-2s before they can react, but we might lose the Panther in the process.

Moving the Panther around here, right at the edge of the farm, could be another option:

This spot might be safer from the tanks to the south, but all three IS-2s will be within its LOS. The Panther could still take out the IS-2s from here and it could penetrate even their frontal armor at such a short range. I tried this in the game and it actually knocked out all three IS-2s, again from a hull down position while the IS-2s were buttoned up.

What happens really depends on what the Russians decide to do on the next turn. We might want to wait just one more turn and see what happens. Another option would be to move the Panther over into the next field in preparation for an attack, without actually committing just yet.

The 88s and King Tiger might end up knocking out at least one of the IS-2s in the next couple of minutes, and if an opportunity presents itself depending on what the Russian tanks in the south end up doing, the Panther will already be in a position to make a quick dash up the hill to finish off those IS-2s.

That's not my tank of course, so it's not up to me. I'm probably gonna feel bad when I end up getting the tank blown up or something. :ohdear:

We will want to be very clear and very careful about the exact spot where we put it.

I'm in favor of the riskier play, simply because right now the IS-2s are stuck engaging the 88s and KT. If we wait 2 minutes they might well win the engagement or fall back. If we move in quickly we might catch them reversing out and distracted. Losing the Panther would be pretty crappy, but if we can convincingly win the northern tank battle it greatly reduces the pressure on our infantry south; the Soviet organic AT capability is pretty bad from what I hear.

It's academic if we don't get orders in the spreadsheet for the Panther soon, though.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Velius posted:

Squad 1, in the L-shaped building: Target area in the image. There's a small hill there so getting line of sight is tricky if you go too far into the field. Being exact is not important.

Here's where I was thinking you should target. Yeah being exact is not super important but I had already taken these screenshots when you posted so whatever. :v:

It looked like they had two squads all bunched up in this one spot. If you wait for them to get up again before firing, you might pick off another couple of guys before they make it back into the safety of those trees again, but if you keep firing and don't let up, you could pin them down here and just decimate that whole platoon. :unsmigghh:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Velius posted:

I'm in favor of the riskier play, simply because right now the IS-2s are stuck engaging the 88s and KT. If we wait 2 minutes they might well win the engagement or fall back. If we move in quickly we might catch them reversing out and distracted. Losing the Panther would be pretty crappy, but if we can convincingly win the northern tank battle it greatly reduces the pressure on our infantry south; the Soviet organic AT capability is pretty bad from what I hear.

It's academic if we don't get orders in the spreadsheet for the Panther soon, though.

Yeah it might very well be worth it, even if we lose the Panther. We still have another one in the town along with the Tiger. If we can smash that whole IS-2 platoon in one stroke it might be the turning point of the whole battle.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kenzie posted:

Yeah it might very well be worth it, even if we lose the Panther. We still have another one in the town along with the Tiger. If we can smash that whole IS-2 platoon in one stroke it might be the turning point of the whole battle.

Yeah. It's worth the risk.

Arbite hasn't posted order in this thread for a week (and hasn't put orders in the spreadsheet for at least three turns). If he doesn't post orders in the next few hours, I'll temporarily give his tank to someone else (probably Soup_Inspector) so we can plan the Panther attack. If he comes back, he can have his tank back.

How much time until the deadline?

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Don't forget to issue target armor only arc. ^^^

Also one of the tanks down south is an is2. You can see a three tank icons simultaneously in the video before the last and one of them is different and its not the isu. Can't be more precise because phone posting, but it shows up right at the end of the two-turn phase during the zoomed-out view.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Time for lots of screenshots. Just so that it's as clear as possible what everyone's LOS is for this Panther attack. And to get a good look at the terrain elevation around the area.

So here's the view from their central T-34 (I used an IS-1 here because whatever), looking toward Mcdonald's farm and the Panther's avenue of approach. The T-34 is currently sandwiched between a couple of buildings and firing at some of our infantry. I think it's buttoned up too, but it was hard to tell. I doubt it will be able to see anything.

Looking right at where the Panther will be, zoomed in:

The view from that southern ISU. It has an even worse view. We won't have to worry about it.

The problem is the tank they have on the main road into town. We don't know exactly where it is and it might be able to see the Panther's rear unless we're careful about it.

Strangely enough, the tank I put on this road could not spot the Panther up there as long as the Panther was stationary and holding fire, even though the Russian tank was unbuttoned and sitting there for 6+ minutes. On one of my tests it was actually the Panther that spotted the Russian tank first, even though the Panther was facing the wrong direction and buttoned up. The Panther turned around and blasted it, but it took several minutes to spot it. This game can be unpredictable at times. I think it was because the Panther was sitting in a crop field while the IS-1 I was using was parked on a wide open road. Crop fields can definitely help camouflage tanks in this game.

The Russian tank on the road could spot the Panther up there if it was firing though, but only after several shots. This is all assuming that the Russian tank we're facing is unbuttoned and totally stationary though. The Russians might move it starting on the next turn, which would probably be a good thing for us.

I'm thinking one of the best possible positions to put the Panther would be here:

Right on the edge of this crop field:

Looking back toward the southern Russian tanks. A flank shot on the Panther seems less likely here.

It's hull down relative to the IS-2s. This is what they would see:

The downside is that the Panther would be facing all three IS-2s at once from this spot (unless they move), but since they're all distracted and buttoned up at the moment, we could have a good chance.

Bacarruda posted:

How much time until the deadline?

Maybe another 12 hours or so? Maybe we could ask Grey for more time? I'm gonna need to get some sleep pretty soon.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kenzie posted:

Maybe another 12 hours or so? Maybe we could ask Grey for more time? I'm gonna need to get some sleep pretty soon.

Ok, here's what we'll do.

Arbite's AWOL at the moment. Since time is running out, and we need to get orders in, someone else needs to issue orders. As per the thread rules, a temporary commander will take the wheel for one turn. If he shows back up next turn, he gets his unit back. If not, the unit's up for grabs.

Unless you object, I'll give you temporary command of that Panther for the next turn or two. You have a good handle on things and you've got the move planned out already. If you still feel confident about making the attack, go ahead with it.

I'm on Roll20 atm if you need to coordinate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Soup_Inspector or Kenzie, please issue orders for Arbite's Panther, let's make this IS-2 attack happen :rolldice:

Orders for King Tiger:

Advance according to this map, and issue the Hunt command

anilEhilated: Continue as prior

Orders spreadsheet updated

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Sorry, I've had kind of a hectic two days - working on orders now.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

All movement orders are QUICK, colors are just for clarity due to overlapping paths. We're gonna position at the NW edge of this bit of woods before moving over to the town MLR in the next turns.

Also Grey, Can you throw a FACE order to the SOUTHWEST at the end of all the movement orders, except for 1-2-1, the unnamed AT team (orange), and the HQ unit, which will face NORTHEAST

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 30, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TehKeen posted:

1KO2PLT "Tactical Withdrawal Syndrome"

All movement orders are QUICK, colors are just for clarity due to overlapping paths. We're gonna position at the NW edge of this bit of woods before moving over to the town MLR in the next turns.

Also Grey, Can you throw a FACE order to the SOUTHWEST at the end of all the movement orders? :D

Keep in mind you do have a platoon of Russian infantry north of you approaching the crossroads. You may want to either move further west or have a few men facing northeast at the end of the turn.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

-Panther VA (mid): Arbite

:godwinning: These are temporary orders for Arbite's Panther because we don't have much time. :godwinning:

I'm going to make a crazy bold maneuver here and I changed my mind again from what I was planning earlier. I was very nervous about flank shots hitting the Panther and I wasn't happy with the angle of attack. Too many shots would bounce off the IS-2 armor and it just wasn't good enough. You can penetrate IS-2 armor straight from the front or the side, but not at a weird angle.

Make sure that the Panther is buttoned up, if it isn't already. We're going to be very close to some enemy infantry.

I'm going to move the Panther up like this:

There will be five waypoints all with the FAST command. Grey, please try to get these commands pretty accurate. Good positioning and LOS is going to be important so I'm going to try to make it very clear.

The final waypoint should be right in the middle of this field.

Please make sure to click on the final waypoint, then click Target, and check that the spot is hull down or partial hull down to the areas at these ranges below:

Also, make sure to check, with the Target command, that the final waypoint is about 50m away from the nearby trees. Don't actually target anything, just check the range. Enemy riflemen are going to be dangerously close, but they should be pinned down at the moment. We should be safe. They won't be able to harm a Panther unless they are actually swarming around right next to it.

It should be around 112m from the hedge outside the nearby farm. I realize it will be difficult to get it exact, but I'd like it as close as possible.

The Panther should get to its destination in less than a minute. Assuming this turn will go on for two minutes like usual, we should have plenty of time to get some beautiful flank shots on the two forward IS-2s, assuming they don't move too much. The third IS-2 should be out of LOS, letting us concentrate our fire.

It should look like this behind the Panther:

There should be a hill in between the Panther and the rest of the Russian armor back in the town, giving us defilade. We should be safe from flank and rear shots, but the trade-off is that we are extra close to the Russian infantry.

So yeah, that should be it I think. Bacarruda, let me know what you think about this.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tweaked this one a little bit

Two more. I er...improvised on the logos. I can supply blanks or kind of do simple pictures.

• Locked thread