Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Considering the amount of hate Clattenburg gets its good he can't ref Newcastle matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're all as poo poo as each other, we just see Clattenburg on tv more often.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

mulls posted:

The sport is influenced more than most by the mistakes and personalities of each ref.

Maybe in cup matches but over the course of a league its not really noticeable, they aren't wwe characters, sometimes they are just a bit poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mike Riley has agreed to meet Garry Monk in a steel cage match on Friday to have a friendly conversation about life and stuff.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Lamont Cranston posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YiuSbBdaQ

You can't see his exact position at the time of the incident, but it's clear he was well within the penalty area and should easily be able to see wasn't in the goal. It's a difficult position to be put in by the assistant but really he ought to have been on top of it himself.

Definite goal this, top refereeing imo

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

It doesn't really matter what ref you get now that the only full on corrupt one has retired imo. An incompetent referee has an equal chance of helping either side.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Who was the 'full on corrupt' one?

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Who was the 'full on corrupt' one?

He's talking about Howard Webb

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

sircozzie posted:

He's talking about Howard Webb

hahaha

ahhh

hahahahahahaha

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I think all the refs are good lads who mean well and try their best and across the board generally get most calls spot on

But then I'm a United fan so I would think that

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Chris Foy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
English refs shouldn't be allowed to ref games between a welsh and english side.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Psybro
May 12, 2002
The only proper poo poo refs were Mike Riley and Uriah Rennie and if you saw either of them in action live you'd be begging for Clattenburg to come over and hold you right now

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Also mancchestrr United are a poo poo midtable team and City aren't much better

Who do you support?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PirateBob posted:

Who do you support?
:eyepop:

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

It all evens out in the end

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I miss Paul Alcock. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of that diving cower again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Phil Dowd is a decent ref until he inevitably makes a terrible decision at some point in the match and then freaks out overreacting by trying to award the other team things to even it out, or giving yellow cards to everybody for no reason in a panic. Also he's too big to run quickly so he's often just guessing what happened in events by what he saw from halfway down the pitch.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I have an irrational hatred of Mike Riley. He's just so feeble looking, how can he command any respect. Refs should be mean and jacked.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Monday Bandele posted:

I have an irrational hatred of Mike Riley. He's just so feeble looking, how can he command any respect. Refs should be mean and jacked.

Sounds like he gets you riled up haha.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Phil Dowd is a decent ref until he inevitably makes a terrible decision at some point in the match and then freaks out overreacting by trying to award the other team things to even it out, or giving yellow cards to everybody for no reason in a panic. Also he's too big to run quickly so he's often just guessing what happened in events by what he saw from halfway down the pitch.

If Phil Dowd were actually fit he'd be the best official in the Prem but you're right about that. He routinely lags behind play. It has it's advantages though! He always gets tackles from behind spot on.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I found a great quote on the BBC in an article about a female referee being told her place was the kitchen...

quote:

The Northumberland FA, in all its activities, will not discriminate, nor treat anyone less favourably, on grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital status, race, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, ability or disability. The Northumberland FA will ensure that it treats people fairly and with respect and will provide access and opportunities for all members of the community to take part in, and enjoy, its activities.

Good. When it comes to refs, the FA frown on discrimination based on ability.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Two things. Please link to you are the robo ref. And what happened to Sian, the woman ref's assistant?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Too busy getting smashed

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Martin Atkinson has been horrendous in just about every game I've ever watched him ref. I seriously don't get how he's still working.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ungratek posted:

Too busy getting smashed

Ok, but what about Sian? lol

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Burqa King posted:

Two things. Please link to you are the robo ref. And what happened to Sian, the woman ref's assistant?

She was at the U20 Women's World Cup in August but doesn't seem to have done anything since, so I can only guess she's injured

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

PirateBob posted:

Who do you support?

He's a big time Portland Timbers fan.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Give united a bunch of a penalties imo

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Point To The Spot and hand Roo the ball with a knowing wink and say "fancy a goal m8?"

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Oh your club doesn't have an official soft drink partner in Nigeria? Small time clubs

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikekeeganbbc/status/527393372328427520

Psybro
May 12, 2002

trem_two posted:

Clattenburg is dropped for the weekend because he broke security/integrity protocols and travelled alone to the WBA vs. Palace match instead of traveling with the rest of the crew. The reason? So he could leave early enough to make it to an Ed Sheeran concert that night.

Get this, he's not the only one to get in trouble over an offensive drone

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Lot 49 posted:

I don't care about the ref unless it's either Clattenburg or Attwell. Those two are incompetent, the rest are all pretty much the same.

This but Andre Marriner, so I can make racism jokes

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fulham have just appointed a man named Kit as their new manager.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Vegetable posted:

Fulham have just appointed a man named Kit as their new manager.
He's been in charge for about two months OP, have you not seen any "kit man" jokes?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Rio Ferdinand has been fined and suspended for making a your mum joke on twitter. Broken Britain.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Haha that's ridiculous.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

I agree with this decision, hell, ban him for the whole season please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007