Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

That three way fight scene ugh this show is so good.

Barrowman :argh:

I laughed when they showed China White. I mean, blow up a jumbo jet for some Triad goon? It would have made more sense if Ra's was on that plane. I would believe Waller would kill all those people, hire a merc force, and potentially destabilize a region for a shot at the Demon's Head

I thought it was gonna be Merlyn. Also why didn't Oliver recognize China White in S1 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
That wasn't Ra's al Ghul, he didn't even say Detective.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Whizbang posted:

That wasn't Ra's al Ghul, he didn't even say Detective.

Ollie's not smart enough to be called Detective.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Drifter posted:

edit: Arrow people can't get an even sorta looking Arab to play Ras? Come on, dudes. C'mon. Batman Begins this silliness. bah.

What exactly did you think all Arabian people look like? 'cuuuuuuuuuse some of them look a lot like Matt Nable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

What exactly did you think all Arabian people look like? 'cuuuuuuuuuse some of thema much smaller percentage than average for the region of the Arabian Peninsula Ras would have been from look a lot like Matt Nable.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 30, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I'll chime in with Matt Nable being a weak link thusfar. I'm gonna place my faith in the producers, as they're two for two on big bads so far, but I'm not feeling the menace, presence, or authority you'd expect from R'as al loving Ghul. Nyssa is more intimidating than he is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can a guy who said like 3 words and have 5 seconds on screen, be a weak link.

Don't be that guy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's safe to assume that Ra's really did kill Sara and try to pin in on Merlyn, just because he thought she was beneath Nyssa, and I actually like that idea. It hearkens to some of comic Ra's's relationship with Talia.

Boogaleeboo posted:

What exactly did you think all Arabian people look like? 'cuuuuuuuuuse some of them look a lot like Matt Nable.
I don't care how PC or un-PC or PC-adjacent this sounds, but if the first person you think of when I mention an Arabian man from the ancient Middle-east is Matt Nable, I'ma call you a lyin' ho. :buddy:

They had the opportunity to cast a person of color for this incredibly important role, and they just went with the same ol' safe ol' Englishy-sounding white dude. It's fine if you don't think them doing that is a big stinking deal, but don't be like "No but see, they were just being more tolerant!!" about it, 'cuz they weren't.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought that was a pretty boring episode as far as Arrow goes. The ending scene would have been cool if not for casting spoilers. Since we knew Ras was going to show up any day it just felt like a recap of the major points of the episode. Sara dead, Merlyn in Starling, Oliver protecting Merlyn which makes him an enemy of the league. Check check check.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ollie protecting Merlyn is for real the dumbest loving plot beat.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Is it me or did they reuse the coffee shop from The Flash in this episode?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I enjoy Katrina Law as Nyssa, but I never really enjoy the episodes she's a major part of. I'm not even sure why this felt so odd, but it did.

It might have something to do with how many stories this year are dependant on long-term payoffs. I'm still not sure what the hell Hong Kong promises to tell us (outside of some very vague 'I did bad things with Waller' musings). Thea holding secrets from Oliver is a nice change of pace, but is all about setting up the moment when they finally come relatively clean to each other. Laurel turning vigilante isn't something I outright hate, but it too demands a longer patient hand than we saw last year. And of course, Sara's murder is the clearest example of this delayed gratification storytelling model they're using this year.

That's not to say the show is suddenly playing a longer game - just that the longer running elements seem to be playing a much stronger role this year.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Definitely a weak episode.

That Hong Kong assassination was way too clean and easy. Like it didn't need a choreographed fight and chase, but stabbing a guy should be a bit more brutal, no? Would've been way more effective for Ollie's moral drama over it too. The HK scenes feel SO rushed and low budget, the island flashbacks used to have some atmosphere.

Laurel is still the worst. More "darkness insiiiiide" dialogue not helping. But good point on her saying "no" to the "is killing Barrowman what your murderous, assassin sister would have wanted?" And she did look in surprisingly good shape at the end there.

As an actual British person, Katrina Law's insane accent makes me twitch a little bit. She's a fun character though, shame she was basically retreading Laurel's arc of "but I really want to kill this person who was obviously not responsible for the murder!"

Also:
  • Really confused about what Thea knows of Ollie at this point.
  • I missed Felicity, but I do respect the continuity between the two shows.
  • Lance talking to the officers was heavy-handed but a nice character moment, as was his phonecall to Sarah.
  • Agreed that the Ra's reveal was a damp squib.

Bruceski posted:

That three-way fight was probably carefully choreographed and looked really neat. Too bad it involved three people in black suits against a dark background.
Yeeeah. What little I could make out of the fight sure looked cool, I guess. :smith: (Still not as bad as Barrowman and Arrowman's last fight, against completely black gravel at night though.)

Drifter posted:

Ollie protecting Merlyn is for real the dumbest loving plot beat.
Yup! Really wanted him to at least try and shoot him at the end there. His whole "I can't just KILL him" seems real loving weird too. Hasn't Ollie proven he's pretty drat flexible on that rule? See: The Count #1, those dudes he shot last week, etc. Now he's Kenshin?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

They had the opportunity to cast a person of color for this incredibly important role, and they just went with the same ol' safe ol' Englishy-sounding white dude. It's fine if you don't think them doing that is a big stinking deal, but don't be like "No but see, they were just being more tolerant!!" about it, 'cuz they weren't.

That's not what I was doing, but to twist your words for *you* I'm glad you think it's important that a character whose most notable traits are being a terrorist and wanting to destroy western civilization should be played by someone that looks more generically Arab, and that this is a well thought out opinion that has absolutely no negative connotations at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It has loads of negative connotations that, strangely-enough, TV shows like Arrow don't seem to have any problems braving when we're talking about villainous henchmen and two-bit redshirts, like the guys who appeared to capture Sara last season, from the same exact league as Ra's. How much are we willing to bet that most of Ra's' attendants and minions will be something other than white? Even Katrina Law herself is biracial. But you see, now that we're talking about an important, iconic, fan-favorite villain with greater repercussions for the story, oh dear, that's when casting magically becomes sensitive to racial stigma.

*shrug* Heard it all before.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Also the fact that League in this show has nothing to do with terrorism?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How are assassins not terrorists?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Sober posted:

Is it me or did they reuse the coffee shop from The Flash in this episode?

They did.

Whizbang posted:

How are assassins not terrorists?

Because those are two different things?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

How much are we willing to bet that most of Ra's' attendants and minions will be something other than white?

Like Malcolm and Sarah for instance.

quote:

*shrug* Heard it all before.

I get it, it's important for you that everyone know that at the end of the day the mean killer that the upstanding white hero will kill is a darker skinned man that is absolutely nothing like the average Western viewer. You've made your point, and it's a good one.

VagueRant posted:

Also the fact that League in this show has nothing to do with terrorism?

Then in this show Ra's is a white looking guy, and there isn't a problem. His daughter is half Asian. Of maskless members of the group we've seen, three are white, one is half Asian, and another was Middle Eastern. Merlyn was given an Arabic name too, maybe it's just a thing the group does. They are multicultural killers for hire. It's all very touching really.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The first member of the League we actually saw, who Sara killed, was Asian. Just to be clear.

I assume you're as against Amanda Waller being black as you are against Ra's being depicted as Middle-Eastern.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 30, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I assume you're as against Amanda Waller being black as you are against Ra's being depicted as Middle-Eastern.

I'm against her being thin and young, but it's the CW. It's nice to know you have problems with black people too though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sexy Waller is way better than fat Waller.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

I'm against her being thin and young, but it's the CW. It's nice to know you have problems with black people too though.
I was thinking about how I should possibly respond to this bizarre statement when, purely on a whim, I decided to look at your rap sheet.

And I decided to let that be response enough.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I was thinking about how I should possibly respond to this bizarre statement when, purely on a whim, I decided to look at your rap sheet.

And I decided to let that be response enough.

No, you decided to make this comment first actually, had you actually looked at my rap sheet and walked away *then* you would have accomplished something. This is just petty sniping because you have nothing else left but can't actually make yourself just disengage from the conversation. It'd be like if I said "Well, looking at your rap sheet tells me that the last time you were interesting was 7 years ago" and then just stopped talking to you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Classic Waller best Waller. :colbert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VagueRant posted:

That Hong Kong assassination was way too clean and easy. Like it didn't need a choreographed fight and chase, but stabbing a guy should be a bit more brutal, no? Would've been way more effective for Ollie's moral drama over it too. The HK scenes feel SO rushed and low budget, the island flashbacks used to have some atmosphere.
It was a lot better as long as they don't try to use the Vancouver skyline too much to pretend it's HK. I think the street scenes were pretty good considering. And I thought the stabbing was quick and poo poo intentionally, possibly to tell us Oliver is now a killer and is actually much better than it than we're expecting (year 3 of 5, gotta pick up some time). Plus it was a schlubby old dude, I mean, really. Probably didn't even know someone was hunting him down.

I'm just saying at this point Oliver is probably not gonna go all PTSD in the middle of it icing someone.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

No no, she's like Nick Fury, the real Amanda Waller is fat and the skinny one is just a decoy mouthpiece.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I'm against Amanda Waller being anyone besides CCH Pounder, who would have been a casting coup for this show.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Eddain posted:

No no, she's like Nick Fury, the real Amanda Waller is Samuel L Jackson.!
fixed.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Man Malcolm Merlyn being alive is going to be a great third-act reveal to Oliver this season.

*reveals in 1st act*

Oh Arrow... <3

my two guesses for things to happen this season that I will put in spoilers even though they're really guesses

-It will turn out that Thea killed Sarah, for some reason but almost certainly on Malcolm's order

-Laurel will kill Malcolm before season's end. Even if it's a fluke fight, it will legitimize her as Black Canary more and also set up a Laurel/Thea showdown that has great dramatic stakes for Oliver because the fact that he will do anything to protect both of them has been well established and in no way forced

edit- and by fluke I mean there's probably a mi-season Merlyn/Assassins showdown where Malcolm gets hurt and Laurel kills him while he tries to hobble away.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 30, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Last season was pretty entertaining in spite of Slade's incredibly stupid motivations and the utterly contrived Shado vs Sara 'choice' that Oliver had to make.

But Oliver vowing to protect Merlyn at the cost of waging war with the League has managed to top that in stupidity and Nable doesn't seem nearly as charismatic as Manu Bennett to make up for the dumb storytelling. This is almost as ridiculous as Batman proving Joker innocent to save him from the death penalty in spite of all the crimes he committed.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Last season was pretty entertaining in spite of Slade's incredibly stupid motivations and the utterly contrived Shado vs Sara 'choice' that Oliver had to make.

But Oliver vowing to protect Merlyn at the cost of waging war with the League has managed to top that in stupidity and Nable doesn't seem nearly as charismatic as Manu Bennett to make up for the dumb storytelling. This is almost as ridiculous as Batman proving Joker innocent to save him from the death penalty in spite of all the crimes he committed.

I don't know, I buy it. While I generally expect Arrow to also give me a character's reasoning in really blatant exposition, it's pretty clear to me that Oliver isn't going to kill Malcolm because he somehow doesn't want to kill Thea's dad. Even if he knows nothing about the fact that they've met, it makes some psychologically-convoluted sense that robbing Thea of another parent is something that would rip Oliver apart.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm against Amanda Waller being anyone besides CCH Pounder, who would have been a casting coup for this show.

Do to what I have to assume is either blackmail or truckloads of money, she's tied up with Sons of Anarchy. I will never understand how that terrible show has managed to draw in and then squander so much acting talent.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I don't know, I buy it. While I generally expect Arrow to also give me a character's reasoning in really blatant exposition, it's pretty clear to me that Oliver isn't going to kill Malcolm because he somehow doesn't want to kill Thea's dad. Even if he knows nothing about the fact that they've met, it makes some psychologically-convoluted sense that robbing Thea of another parent is something that would rip Oliver apart.

Yeah I have no problems with Oliver letting Merlyn go and am kind of surprise that people seem to be having this negative of a reaction to it. It's totally flimsy comic book logic, but I don't see what's so egregious about Oliver not wanting to break his vows in order to kill his sister's new-found father who, despite everything he's done in the past, does in fact love her and will do everything he can to protect her. That's a fairly believable and much more difficult decision than the "Hey he's a bad guy shoot him you dummy" scenario people are making it out to be. Then again we've apparently also made up our minds on how bad this Ra's is going to be based on his (admittedly awkward) introduction so maybe it's just going to be that type of week.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VDay posted:

Yeah I have no problems with Oliver letting Merlyn go and am kind of surprise that people seem to be having this negative of a reaction to it. Then again we've apparently also made up our minds on how bad this Ra's is going to be based on his (admittedly awkward) introduction so maybe it's just going to be that type of week.

I was a little disappointed it was neither some surprising callback nor a recognizable actor, but yeah I'm willing to wait until I see him in like 4 or 5 scenes before making a real call.

edit- also, to some extent Oliver reformed himself from being a killer because of Tommy, so breaking that vow to kill his dad is another level of weird and cool pathos that I give the show credit for...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 30, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Arrow won't kill Malcolm because he's becoming a real superhero and superheros don't kill people.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Arrow won't kill Malcolm because he's becoming a real superhero and superheros don't kill people.

Uh wow maybe you need to see a little movie called Man of Steel? Jeez...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But superheroes absolutely should turn criminals in to the authorities. Malcolm is all "Teehee I'm a ninja, I'll just escape any prison they throw me in" um not if they strap you into the electric chair, you won't. Didn't Moira face the death penalty for being merely complicit in Malcolm's undertaking? And if we don't trust Starling prisons to hold him, I'm sure Waller's not going to shed rivers of tears over legally executing someone if she got her hands on them.

I like that Malcolm's around, but I really hope they won't resort to nonsensical Comic Book Recurring Villain Logic to keep him around. That's one of the main drawbacks of having a recurring villain in comic books.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VDay posted:

Yeah I have no problems with Oliver letting Merlyn go and am kind of surprise that people seem to be having this negative of a reaction to it. It's totally flimsy comic book logic, but I don't see what's so egregious about Oliver not wanting to break his vows in order to kill his sister's new-found father who, despite everything he's done in the past, does in fact love her and will do everything he can to protect her. That's a fairly believable and much more difficult decision than the "Hey he's a bad guy shoot him you dummy" scenario people are making it out to be. Then again we've apparently also made up our minds on how bad this Ra's is going to be based on his (admittedly awkward) introduction so maybe it's just going to be that type of week.

:psyduck:

He is a mass murderer. He killed hundreds of people in the glades including Tommy(:rip:). But sure he says he cares about Thea so clearly Oliver should let him go. I guess Oliver should just take him at his word since he clearly means it(obviously we as the viewer know better, but c'mon Oliver).

Diggle was right, the world is better off without him.

edit: or at least don't put him under your protection in case he is lying about not killing Sara. Let the league kill him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But superheroes absolutely should turn criminals in to the authorities. Malcolm is all "Teehee I'm a ninja, I'll just escape any prison they throw me in" um not if they strap you into the electric chair, you won't. Didn't Moira face the death penalty for being merely complicit in Malcolm's undertaking? And if we don't trust Starling prisons to hold him, I'm sure Waller's not going to shed rivers of tears over legally executing someone if she got her hands on them.

I like that Malcolm's around, but I really hope they won't resort to nonsensical Comic Book Recurring Villain Logic to keep him around. That's one of the main drawbacks of having a recurring villain in comic books.

Well I think there are two answers to that. One- there's the practical explanation Merlyn gives: he can escape any prison they try to hold him in while they wait to execute him- even Ollie's super jail which BTW I am so glad we haven't seen so far this season. Sure Waller and ARGUS could maybe execute him on-sight if they had him like Oliver did, but that assumes ARGUS wouldn't do something unexpected and beneficial to themselves- which they almost always do.

Also, Arrow's been pretty good about not letting Oliver rely on semantic quibbles the way Batman lets Bruce Wayne do it. Oliver has some complicity in what the State or Waller would do to Merlyn or others and has to accept it. And it wasn't like Oliver's vow to not kill was "I won't kill because only the state has the authority to deal out such punishment." It was "I won't kill because killing is bad."

• Locked thread