Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

imperialparadox posted:

I like it, except for the blue radar dish, which reminds me of a sticker that you would put on a toy. I'd prefer a more normal looking dish there.

I can't not see it as a TIE fighter cockpit, it really does look weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC_Druggie
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

imperialparadox posted:

These kind of threads always amazes me, because I have a hard time understanding people that are so invested in this game, and spend so much money on this game, that don't even try it - and in some cases don't even like it. I know that everybody doesn't like PVP, but you would think that you would at least want to see if you liked the basic mechanics of the game before you buy the next $300 spergboat. :shrug:

We wouldn't even have what we have now if we all thought that way. Someone has to assume the risk.

Just enjoy your cheap ride to gaming bliss I always say. Why discourage those of us who are willing to drop over a grand on your behalf.

*edit*

Misread apparently. My bad carry on spergs.

SC_Druggie fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 30, 2014

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

SC_Druggie posted:

We wouldn't even have what we have now if we all thought that way. Someone has to assume the risk.

Just enjoy your cheap ride to gaming bliss I always say. Why discourage those of us who are willing to drop over a grand on your behalf.

Because monetization ruins the purity of the game!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Hangar ship sales on Saturday will likely be the Mustang and the Retaliator or Redeemer.

Edit, apparently one of those ships will include lti but it's never been sold before (they previously said mustang wouldn't be sold with lti).

Anyway, be aware two lti ships this weekend so keep that in mind before doing something stupid and buying a herald.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

These kind of threads always amazes me, because I have a hard time understanding people that are so invested in this game, and spend so much money on this game, that don't even try it - and in some cases don't even like it. I know that everybody doesn't like PVP, but you would think that you would at least want to see if you liked the basic mechanics of the game before you buy the next $300 spergboat. :shrug:

Maybe it's like all the milspergs who can spend all their free time reading about army and combat poo poo, but would never actually sign up? :shrug:

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Shouldn't that be 'Starfleet Pediatrics'?

e: or uh...'Starfleet Podiatry'...I'm obviously unqualified.

oh you did not just go there

Dear Leader needs no doctors, as he received the gift of accentuated regeneration from a great swallow on Mount Paektu.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

:laffo:

They're just exploring the boundaries of how much they can get for the least effort now. Fair play to them.

jsmith
Jul 26, 2013

Banano posted:

They're just exploring the boundaries of how much they can get for the least effort now. Fair play to them.

It looks like a hodgepodge of distorted cutlass fragments. They've got years to patch the gaping holes in the mesh we don't see from this angle. This is only the pre pre alpha concept, lti-comfort(able) edition.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Reminds me of a Caldari Ibis.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Rastor posted:

For some reason I was expecting the Carrack to be small and nimble, the better to navigate uncharted jumps.

Oh well, I am dumb I guess.

If you want a small and nimble explorer ship, get a 315p. Want something a little bigger, maybe some decent cargo space, get a Freelancer DUR. Got some nerd friends who want to explore the galaxy together whilst playing Bridge Siumulater 2016? Get the Constellation Aquila. You and your friends want to be true poopsocks and have a 24-hour Monster Energy Drink and Slim Jim-fueled exploration binge session? Get the Carrack.

Wulfling posted:

They seem to be moving away from the whole idea of "Small and Nimble" as it makes them less money. IE: the Herald being what, $85?

These ships were voted on by the players, so...

Naturally Selected posted:

Sounds about right. In their current incarnation, missiles are deadly as all gently caress, so it will be interesting to see how things progress once straight out missile boats are in. Come to think of it, this might actually give a use to AWACS-give the big fat slow fucker an ability to use some kind of EWAR/jamming/hacking system to protect your fighters from the massed missile salvos/paint and guide friendly salvos.

Then again, this goes back to my point about "whichever side didn't bring an AWACS is hosed"

That said, somehow the RIO seat on the new fighter sounds like it could be drat fun.

I picked up a Hornet Tracker for this very reason, pending fun CnC and scanner mechanics.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

PITT posted:

Reminds me of a Caldari Ibis.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Is that an Enyo? Man that poo poo looks way different than it did in 2007.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Looks like when kids play with lego, stacking piece after piece onto their monstrosity

"But it needs a satellite dish and bouncy castle and don't forget the prep kitchen!"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

Looks like when kids play with lego, stacking piece after piece onto their monstrosity

"But it needs a satellite dish and bouncy castle and don't forget the prep kitchen!"

A perfect analogy for Star Citizen.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A perfect analogy for Star Citizen.

Change the title:

"Autistic children playing with lego"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sappo569 posted:

Change the title:

"Autistic children playing with lego"

I thought that was what Minecraft was called

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

For some reason I was expecting the Carrack to be small and nimble, the better to navigate uncharted jumps.

Oh well, I am dumb I guess.

I meant to reply to this earlier, I think it's a fairly safe bet that the Carrack will carry a dedicated jump point mapping ship.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen

imperialparadox posted:

no 300 papermoney is 0 real money doesnt matter to spend so few

so they just stole the tngs ship no shits given wp

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Banano posted:

Why the air-brake?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So whats up spent weeks slowly DLing this 20gig patch and now i'm stuck on loading forever.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Arghy posted:

So whats up spent weeks slowly DLing this 20gig patch and now i'm stuck on loading forever.

Congrats you're winning now buy more spaceboats.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Murgos posted:

Why the air-brake?

I assume that's a hatch for protecting the dishes when they're not in use.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Informed Consent posted:

I'm happy to see they went with a non-conventional ship design for a change.

Here's hoping the WW2-in-space-aircraft-sim spergs won't rip it apart

They'll be fine with it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Octopode posted:

Sneak peek of the Herald from today's Reverse the Verse livestream:

I've always liked the Drake cockpit block, just paint the whole thing with yellow and red stripes and stick some fins on it and you've got a decent clone of a taiidani ship.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

AP posted:

Hangar ship sales on Saturday will likely be the Mustang and the Retaliator or Redeemer.

Edit, apparently one of those ships will include lti but it's never been sold before (they previously said mustang wouldn't be sold with lti).

Anyway, be aware two lti ships this weekend so keep that in mind before doing something stupid and buying a herald.

I'm curious about the Redeemer's price point. I know the Retaliator is probably going to be USD$400 or something ridiculous.

Wonder if people realize that they are shelling that much money for the Civilian-variant of the Retaliator, which has the bomb bays removed for added cargo space.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jegan Ace posted:

I'm curious about the Redeemer's price point. I know the Retaliator is probably going to be USD$400 or something ridiculous.

Wonder if people realize that they are shelling that much money for the Civilian-variant of the Retaliator, which has the bomb bays removed for added cargo space.

Retaliator was only $250 USD last I remember

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AP posted:

I meant to reply to this earlier, I think it's a fairly safe bet that the Carrack will carry a dedicated jump point mapping ship.

Hmm... I could see them doing that, and the Brown Sea has speculated as such, but it wasn't part of the existing description:

quote:

The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Rastor posted:

Hmm... I could see them doing that, and the Brown Sea has speculated as such, but it wasn't part of the existing description:

The Constellation description never made mention of the exploration jeep, yet here we are. That probably umbrella'd from 'jack-of-all-trades' in the description to what we have today.

Which opens many details up to interpretation, much like putting a bunch of the charting equipment into a manned probe intended to chart jump points.

Banano posted:

God that's one asymmetrically ugly sonuvabitch. Definitely fits the bill, doesn't look like much past having space for a cockpit, engine, computer core and satellite dish for sending/receiving. The entire bottom-half of the ship looks to be the engine, which looks big enough to accommodate a TR4 still. If it still has one, that's an instant-swap with the M50.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
So the Drake is probably going to result in another accelerated Letter from the Chairman again, isn't it?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Jegan Ace posted:

So the Drake is probably going to result in another accelerated Letter from the Chairman again, isn't it?

Based upon the demand purely for a cheap (relatively speaking) concept-sale ship to use for the purposes of CCU and get LTI on more expensive ships that have already been launched, this weekend will bring in another $2 million easy. I haven't even mentioned the rumor of two ships going to hangar in the next patch that should be releasing this weekend, which will generate even MORE sales and demand for whatever ships are added to the hangar. And then there's the plain, simple demand for a silly looking asymmetrical ship that functions as a fast delivery ship for space-email.

One interesting thing of note so far is that some people have picked up on the fact that, the ship being a Drake ship, it should theoretically have an ulterior motive behind the design that appeals to pirates. So, one going theory is the Herald will be able to turn it's sensor suite in reverse to act as a powerful ECW weapon. Jamming, hacking into other ships systems remotely, scouting for targets, potentially disabling much larger ships. That last one draws some significant similarities to certain Goon practices in EVE, I wonder if CIG will actually give a ship tethering capability like that in this game. I really hope so :allears:.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love how wish fulfillment is an actual source of value for some people. All CIG would have to do is coyly remark on something like an ulterior motive and people will go apeshit. The best part is that CIG would be under no obligation to follow up because they reserve the right to change their minds for the betterment of the game. Just look at the Cutlass variants.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

Based upon the demand purely for a cheap (relatively speaking) concept-sale ship to use for the purposes of CCU and get LTI on more expensive ships that have already been launched, this weekend will bring in another $2 million easy. I haven't even mentioned the rumor of two ships going to hangar in the next patch that should be releasing this weekend, which will generate even MORE sales and demand for whatever ships are added to the hangar. And then there's the plain, simple demand for a silly looking asymmetrical ship that functions as a fast delivery ship for space-email.

One interesting thing of note so far is that some people have picked up on the fact that, the ship being a Drake ship, it should theoretically have an ulterior motive behind the design that appeals to pirates. So, one going theory is the Herald will be able to turn it's sensor suite in reverse to act as a powerful ECW weapon. Jamming, hacking into other ships systems remotely, scouting for targets, potentially disabling much larger ships. That last one draws some significant similarities to certain Goon practices in EVE, I wonder if CIG will actually give a ship tethering capability like that in this game. I really hope so :allears:.

This is getting insane even in casual conversation, "$85" and "cheap" should not be in the same sentence when discussing a vaporware spaceman game.

I can easily see Star Citizen reaching $75+ million dollars over the next two years and the fallout from the crash and burn will be tremendous.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The dream will never end.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but isn't all this 'saviour of pc gaming' bullshit, really the opposite ?

Now every developer and publisher will think it is A OK to charge for every little thing, and jack the price up to boot, they see the huge tidal waves of money being made, of course they'll want some of it

All CIG has shown is nerds will pay money for anything, this will only hurt the future of pc games

Thanks Croberts!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Remind me again why exactly PC gaming needs saved

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Remind me again why exactly PC gaming needs saved

Because, people were spending billions of dollars on consoles instead, or something.

Now they have the god drat RIGHT to spend those billions of pipe dreams and coke

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Sappo569 posted:

Now every developer and publisher will think it is A OK to charge for every little thing, and jack the price up to boot, they see the huge tidal waves of money being made, of course they'll want some of it

All CIG has shown is nerds will pay money for anything, this will only hurt the future of pc games

Thanks Croberts!

Well I paid 25 I think (30?). If I understand SC correctly it will have private servers where you don't have to deal with the people that want to spend money on everything. And really I like the business model of duping others into paying for a game.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 2, 2014

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Christ Roberts on right now

http://www.twitch.tv/pax

e: its over

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 31, 2014

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat

your bullshit post was just quoting other bullshit posts. I just dont get it. Speak up or shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rosscifer posted:

And really I like the business model of duping other into paying for a game.

Fuckin a, dude.

motorocker posted:

your bullshit post was just quoting other bullshit posts. I just dont get it. Speak up or shut the gently caress up.

You're alright with me, smallbart.

• Locked thread