Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Gonna do a zombie run next week, so I started running again. My calves are like " LOL!" And making me walk funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

DownByTheWooter posted:

I got a set of these, but I feel self-conscious about bringing gadgets into the gym

but there is a picture of a guy with big arms it has to be real

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
A older guy at my gym always uses those things and he has huge arms

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Woo a 24 hour gym finally opened up in my town, so now I won't have the excuse of not wanting to drive 20 min each way at 3 am to skip the gym.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Woo a 24 hour gym finally opened up in my town, so now I won't have the excuse of not wanting to drive 20 min each way at 3 am to skip the gym.

They are always so terrible, but so convenient!

My gym has 2 power cages and a smith machine, and exactly 0 Olympic benches, so if you want to bench press that means you are loving over somebody waiting for a cage. Of course that dude is probably just gonna curl or do dumbbell work in it anyways so whatever.

I hate my gym with a passion, but it was the only place in town to work out in the middle of the night, but now a new one opened, so I might have to go check it out and then break up with mine.

I really loving hate my gym.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

bengy81 posted:

My gym has 2 power cages and a smith machine, and exactly 0 Olympic benches, so if you want to bench press that means you are loving over somebody waiting for a cage. Of course that dude is probably just gonna curl or do dumbbell work in it anyways so whatever.

I hate my gym with a passion, but it was the only place in town to work out in the middle of the night, but now a new one opened, so I might have to go check it out and then break up with mine.

I don't understand how a gym doesn't have a bench.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I don't understand how a gym doesn't have a bench.

Yeah, just steal one from the dumbell area. If they don't even have a flatbench there, I don't know what the gently caress.

edit: reading comprehension, that's what you're doing. I prefer to bench in a cage anyways for the safeties, but it is still totally crazy to not have a bench.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

poo poo usually there's 10 benches of every iteration and just a smith machine and maybe 1 squat rack/cage

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TheQuietWilds posted:

Yeah, just steal one from the dumbell area. If they don't even have a flatbench there, I don't know what the gently caress.

edit: reading comprehension, that's what you're doing. I prefer to bench in a cage anyways for the safeties, but it is still totally crazy to not have a bench.

Yeah, now that I'm getting more serious about my lifting I definitely prefer the cage, but I have never been in a gym that didn't have at least one before, also it would make it a lot easier to work out during busy time, which is anytime after 5:00 pm to 11:00 it seems.

That's the problem with living in the suburbs, I've got two types of guns to choose from, $99 a month crossfit gyms or 24 hr any planet fitness for moms to do yoga.

vains
May 26, 2004

bengy81 posted:

That's the problem with living in the suburbs, I've got two types of guns to choose from, $99 a month crossfit gyms or 24 hr any planet fitness for moms to do yoga.

Look harder. There are gyms everywhere and one of them is bound to fit your needs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The hell are you that a Crossfit gym isn't $250/month?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I used to think this but then I checked out the Animal Barbell Club website, which I found through Dan Green's Facebook page, and they host get-togethers of people who are into old-school raw powerlifting and strongman kind of poo poo, and I found a bunch of dudes in my area that were lifting at gyms so stuck in the golden age of weightlifting they didn't have websites (or in some cases air conditioning). Sometimes the old dudes that run the best places just have enough members to stay open and don't feel the need to expand operations. There's one place in Philly that I got invited to that is literally in a relatively large storage unit, and you can only get in outside of two group workout times if you are trusted enough to be given a key to the padlock. I'm pretty sure running a gym out of a storage locker is totally illegal (or sketchy at best), but the dudes that worked out there were totally legit. Ultimately I didn't sign up because I couldn't make their workout times, but I really wished I could because they had at least a few 600+ lb squatters and a bunch of other guys who looked like that was within the realm of possibility. You'd be surprised at how many off-line gyms there are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

Honestly, for 40 bucks a month and 24 hour times I'm good. I'll check it out and as long as the free weight section is good then I'm in.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Honestly, for 40 bucks a month and 24 hour times I'm good. I'll check it out and as long as the free weight section is good then I'm in.

Yeah, when I signed up for my gym it was the only 25 hr place I could find, now there is a newish one that looks ok, and is a few bucks cheaper a month, so if I can't find anything else I will probably go over there.
I am going to look for an offline one though, town I live in is small, but there are tons of current and former athletes, so there should be a place they all go to work out right?

As much as I hate my gym, its shittiness hasn't made me break my routine.

I really wish I would have made an effort to stay in shape or not be fat when I got out.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nah

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 28, 2020

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

reptileintheswamp posted:

How many pushups is it possible to add in a week and how many times per day should I be pushing to reach it?

"Surprise" (shouldn't have been a surprise but w/e) pt came up which I am on for next week (4th of Nov). I've spent the last few months doing the Texas method program as explained in Practical Programming. My pushups are poo poo. I tested myself Sunday and dropped at 50. I did 75 in my last PT test so I have the ability but obviously my eat big get big plan didn't sustain my precious calisthenics ability. What the gently caress rip.

Honestly, going from 50 to 75 if you haven't done pushups in a few months should be easy. I always found my pushups came back really fast just by doing a set or two each day. If you wanna get nuts about it, try to get 30-40 every few hours and the volume will bring back your pushup ability pretty quickly.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nah

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 28, 2020

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Dear guy in the gym,

Wearing a shirt that says train insane is kinda dumb but you seem like a decently in shape bro even if you are doing like 100 dumbbell exercises all focusing on the biceps peak. Thats cool, curls for the girls, I get it. But when your "train insane" shirt has anime poo poo on it, well thats where you just lost me.

Sincerely,
VR

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

vulturesrow posted:

Dear guy in the gym,

Wearing a shirt that says train insane is kinda dumb but you seem like a decently in shape bro even if you are doing like 100 dumbbell exercises all focusing on the biceps peak. Thats cool, curls for the girls, I get it. But when your "train insane" shirt has anime poo poo on it, well thats where you just lost me.

Sincerely,
VR

Dear other guys at the gym:

Your deadlift form is a loving disgrace, yes doing 205lbs is good but there is no reason to do them like a hyperactive coked up ape. I just deadlifted 250lbs and I had that bar under control. Also I know when someone is dropping the bar vice pushing it to the floor you filthy loving cheater.

Also your friend? I can do better power cleans than him and I stopped doing them due to flexibility issues. Your friend either exudes laziness or learned to lift on a lovely crossfit gym.

gently caress you

EM

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I cringe when I see dudes stack 4 plates on each side for deadlifts and then bend over to grab the bar and arch/curve their back and then slowly straighten it out on the way up. Yikes.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Weak people gym grudges itt

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

reptileintheswamp posted:

That's drat good news and what I was planning on doing lacking a better plan anyway. I'll keep you posted.

[spoiler] killed my push-ups but passed out on the run thank you goon sire

Tabata push-ups and sit-ups are amazing.

Christoff posted:

I cringe when I see dudes stack 4 plates on each side for deadlifts and then bend over to grab the bar and arch/curve their back and then slowly straighten it out on the way up. Yikes.

Most people have almost no prioproceptive awareness of their lumbar arch. One awesome way I've actually found is RDLs and basically putting your hand or fist against their lower back, that's going to key their focus and awareness to that specific area you're touching. You simultaneously find the stretch-reflex point for your hamstrings and build peoples' focus on their posterior chain.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The only gym dudes I actively dislike are the "give unsolicited advice" dudes. They always seem to have the laziest form AND the shittiest advice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Tabata push-ups and sit-ups are amazing.

Most people have almost no prioproceptive awareness of their lumbar arch. One awesome way I've actually found is RDLs and basically putting your hand or fist against their lower back, that's going to key their focus and awareness to that specific area you're touching. You simultaneously find the stretch-reflex point for your hamstrings and build peoples' focus on their posterior chain.

Another easy cue is to thrust your hips into the bar as it's coming up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love RDL's but it's just hard to keep your form in check and make sure you're doing it correctly. Even more so than deadlifts. I think I got it down but yeah.

vains
May 26, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Dear other guys at the gym:

Your deadlift form is a loving disgrace, yes doing 205lbs is good but there is no reason to do them like a hyperactive coked up ape. I just deadlifted 250lbs and I had that bar under control. Also I know when someone is dropping the bar vice pushing it to the floor you filthy loving cheater.

Also your friend? I can do better power cleans than him and I stopped doing them due to flexibility issues. Your friend either exudes laziness or learned to lift on a lovely crossfit gym.

gently caress you

EM

Please never post this garbage again. Thanks in advance.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Christoff posted:

I love RDL's but it's just hard to keep your form in check and make sure you're doing it correctly. Even more so than deadlifts. I think I got it down but yeah.

That's why I advocate most people start really light and use it more as a teaching aid for prioproception than as an actual strength exercise. I mean if you've got solid awareness of and ability to maintain your lumbar curve through the whole thing, it's a golden posterior chain exercise. But most people? They'll just gently caress their poo poo up if they try to go heavy.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

That's why I advocate most people start really light and use it more as a teaching aid for prioproception than as an actual strength exercise. I mean if you've got solid awareness of and ability to maintain your lumbar curve through the whole thing, it's a golden posterior chain exercise. But most people? They'll just gently caress their poo poo up if they try to go heavy.

Search youtube for "Louie Simmons Chair Deadlift" (I can't get on Youtube on this network). He knows his poo poo, and this has worked really well for me when helping other people in the past.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Bob A Feet posted:

Weak people gym grudges itt

Well as long the dude was working out to be a better accordion I don't mind...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Christoff posted:

Not a huge discount but hey. Fat Gripz for $32.50

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Gripz-The...ASIN=B005FIS14Y

$25 now if you poors care

-edit woh nevermind $30 now

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 29, 2014

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Apparently my platoon has a ruck run coming up in January, so I have to start prepping my fireteam for that crap. Any suggestions on how to train for that other than "put on pack, run for a while"?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Uh don't you already do that stuff?

Regardless;

Internet Wizard posted:

"put on pack, run for a while"?

Any cardio will help really

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Apparently my platoon has a ruck run coming up in January, so I have to start prepping my fireteam for that crap. Any suggestions on how to train for that other than "put on pack, run for a while"?

put on pack, climb some hills

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

put on pack, climb some hills

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Internet Wizard posted:

Separate from the military so this won't ever be a problem again ever.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

gently caress it, I give up. Let somebody else run sick call so I don't have to deal with the shambles of human beings that'll hobble into the aid station in a couple months.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The only flat ground on base are the two tracks/football fields, and there are like no dirt paths so it's going to be all paved hills for however long it ends up being. Going to be spending some quality time with my shin splints afterwards.

Also I've literally never gone on a ruck run, and I'm pretty sure none of the other junior enlisted in my platoon have either so this should be dandy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They loving suck and lol on paved ground

Everyone is just going to fall out within 100 yards and you'll be stretched out. Then you'll run circles until they catch up or someone with blast the fatties as if any of the above will make them any faster

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
January? sounds like you got plenty of time to schedule a doctor's appointment. so does the rest of your fireteam. all the prep you need son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

January? sounds like you got plenty of time to schedule a doctor's appointment. so does the rest of your fireteam. all the prep you need son

As a Corpsman, I will say this dude has the right answer. You know a ruck run has no benefit for readiness or effectiveness, and will seriously gently caress up your body. The answer should be obvious. Book a doctor's appointment for something that requires a pretty decent workup and sounds serious enough that they won't question it, then spring it on your unit a week before the ruck. The question is: spend 30 minutes in medical now looking like an rear end in a top hat or spend hours of your life, plus the radiation and wasted money on poo poo like MRIs when you gently caress up your shins/knees/hips/back doing this poo poo. Never not skate out of ruck running. If you can get away with it, get yourself out of boots/utes runs too, but definitely skip the ruck run.