Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

No there's plenty of people who are too stupid to use a computer and they're the people that modern mainstream entertainment is aimed at

i like going to imax and poo poo for things i want to see that i think wont be the same on a tv

like godzilla

and guardians of the galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Police Automaton posted:

Schwarzenegger already looked kind of too old in T3 and that's after they applied all the makeup and stuff. This poo poo is just sad. Dude had a great career, why doesn't he just retire gracefully?

gently caress off and die, the world would be a darker place without Arnold on the silver screen.

He clearly gives no fucks and is just having a good time. The Last Stand was a legit good tongue in cheek actioner and Sabotage/Escape Plan were watchable.

That said I think this terminator movie looks shithouse, but I don't blame Arnie.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Police Automaton posted:

Man, you gotta think these pictures went through many people's hands, how couldn't even a single one of them go "ok, you know what? Let's redo this, it looks kinda poo poo". Second one looks like something you'd find of a cardboard box of a super soaker or something. Jesus Christ.

This is what happens when the majority of people working in Hollywood grew up in an upper middle class suburb

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Execu-speak posted:

gently caress off and die, the world would be a darker place without Arnold on the silver screen.

He clearly gives no fucks and is just having a good time. The Last Stand was a legit good tongue in cheek actioner and Sabotage/Escape Plan were watchable.

That said I think this terminator movie looks shithouse, but I don't blame Arnie.

Dude was never a good actor, that being said he fitted in the time his prime-acting happened in extremely well.

All the later stuff he was in is pure garbage and could never be like his earlier work again. Also, dude's just too old. Deal with it bitch.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
g

Lonos Oboe posted:

I am just re-reading the post T-2 books that came out maybe 14-15 years ago and drat that would have been a great movie follow up. John and Sarah hide out in South America and happen to bump into the real guy who the Arnie terminator is based on. He is a retired counter terrorist operative and is kinda like Arnie in Predator. Skynet sends a human/terminator hybrid that builds a squad of t-101s and plays the long game by making sure Skynet gets built. The really cool thing is that the plot is set around 8 years after T-2 so the ages all kinda match up with the actors ages. It's basically a post T-2 fan fic and nothing to do with T-3. First one is called "infiltrator" written by S. Stirling. It's not great, but its worth a look if you are a fan. I think The Sarah Connor Chronicles was kind of based on it a bit. But as cheesy as the books and the tv show are, this new re-boot sounds like loving garbage. It's all about tone and that's the thing the later movies didn't get. Even the tv show had some great dark moments with it's characters. This film will probably try too hard to be gritty and serious and add in loads of filters and references and completely miss the point.

give me the names to this poo poo so i can read it all

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

im actually looking forward to the new terminator movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWPP5sdvJZI

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

someone make a photoshop of hot dogs or tacos slowly entering dr who's mouth plz.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTCgIHpQXE

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

pro-est of clicks

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WitchFetish posted:

That is indeed pretty cool, thanks, and further cements T1->T2->Chronicles as the one true canon, at least for me.

Anyway, is there any non-movie, non-series Terminator stuff I should be reading/watching? I think there's a comic but I have no idea if it's worth anything.
I'm a Terminator nerd with no standards so I've got like every comic book and novel and videogame and poo poo.

The Dark Horse Comics series from the 90s (and even the ones from the early 2000s) are pretty cool, and the first several end up being a neat story arc that runs parallel to the first movie and doesn't feature John, Sarah, or Arnie at all. There's collected "omnibus" volumes of the Dark Horse stuff, too.

The older NOW Comics stuff is seriously goofy poo poo, it's all over the map.
Having said that, the last series they did (Terminator: The Burning Earth) completely rules and features a war-weary John Connor contemplating suicide as Skynet starts re-nuking and chemical bombing what's left of the human race. It's also the first professional work that Alex Ross ever did, so the artwork is totally gorgeous.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Police Automaton posted:

She got poo poo on a lot but I actually like Lena Headey as Sarah Connor. Don't know why people thought she needed to be a trashing, raving lunatic or sth. after all those years since T2. The soundtrack really was golden and you rarely see music fitting the scenes so well on TV.

i thought she was fantastic and she isn't the same as linda hamilton because lena headey's sarah connor has had a bit of time to chill - but she's still not someone to gently caress with and i think she was a great choice for the role.

quote:

Rewatching the show later made me notice this too about the first season. There were many plot points that just ended up never being mentioned again. The best episodes for me were with forward-flashes to the war and hunting down the terminator of the week who tried to gently caress with the timeline in skynets favor in some way. I think you could've gotten a lot of mileage out of these episodes, especially if you would've made Skynets exact reasoning for the current timeline-fuckery of the week more ambiguous. Sort of an X-Files, monster-of-the-week format, with small storylines that are contained in themselves in one or a few episodes. The overarching plot with the chess-computer-turned-sentient-AI was just dumb imo. I heard all the Terminator-CGI really bled money though.

the first season would have like four plots crammed into a forty minute episode and they'd frequently establish, escalate and close these massive arcs that just had no time to breathe. season 1 needed more episodes and season 2 needed a tighter focus.

turk/john henry arc was great, though. he was one of the more interesting characters (not that the show wasn't filled with them).

the dumbest loving plot was riley and that whole business because it went on for a whole season when it didn't need to be more than four or five episodes.

quote:

In many scenes they showed her literally just parroting some behavior she just saw somewhere before. It was really clear her thought process was too alien to really understand the reasoning for the behavior itself.

yeah, and other times you wondered if it was all an act and/or if she had any idea about what she was really doing. like when she strips down and gets into bed with john during season 2. she was like arnold's t2 terminator but learning over a longer period of time while being exposed to things she couldn't comprehend although she obviously came from a future where she was close to john connor.

quote:

That dude was amazing as terminator as he seemed very threatening without all this "rarggghhh I'm gonna rip your spine out" other "Terminator-acting" on the show had.

i think cromartie is my favourite terminator. he's so bland and boring and he has this sleepy voice which all just makes him someone that no one would look twice at. the original terminator was big and muscly, invisible because no one wanted to gently caress with him. the t-1000 was fey-like and could be anyone. cromartie was joe average man and garret dillahunt absolutely nailed the role.

TSCC actually seemed to develop on the ideas, characterization and themes in t1 and t2 and while it wasn't perfect that makes it something that's actually an interesting successor to the first two films.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

just make the movie with the loving war with the HKs running over mountains of human skulls

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

tbqh i'm not going to complain about arnie being too old about playing what was probably his best role because he's going to have a ton of fun doing it and it is, at the end of the day, his role

no matter what the else the film is, i'm sure arnie would be a great old man terminator

it'd be great if it was actually a good film for him to have a last terminator hurrah with tho

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Milky Moor posted:

i think cromartie is my favourite terminator. he's so bland and boring and he has this sleepy voice which all just makes him someone that no one would look twice at. the original terminator was big and muscly, invisible because no one wanted to gently caress with him. the t-1000 was fey-like and could be anyone. cromartie was joe average man and garret dillahunt absolutely nailed the role.

Cameron actually wanted to cast Lance Hendriksen (who was also in the movie) of all people as the Terminator, not Arnold Schwarzenegger, simply because of that idea that the Terminator could/should be Joe Everyman. I'm not sure why that fell though although I think it would not have worked well, even though it's an interesting idea.

I think the first two movies also worked better because of the time they were made in. I knew lots of people then who would look with a huge distrust at anything computerized, some people were quite afraid of the seemingly exploding computer technology which just started to be everywhere. Nowadays even your grandma looks at sewing tutorials on youtube and trust the technology. Also there was still that looming and in the heads of the people very real treat (at least around the first movie, to a lesser extend the second one) of the entire civilization crumbling because of nuclear war. The movies played a lot with those two fears by combining them, something that just doesn't work as well today. People neither worry about computers taking over nor nuclear war.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

Cameron actually wanted to cast Lance Hendriksen (who was also in the movie) of all people as the Terminator, not Arnold Schwarzenegger, simply because of that idea that the Terminator could/should be Joe Everyman. I'm not sure why that fell though although I think it would not have worked well, even though it's an interesting idea.

I think the first two movies also worked better because of the time they were made in. I knew lots of people then who would look with a huge distrust at anything computerized, some people were quite afraid of the seemingly exploding computer technology which just started to be everywhere. Nowadays even your grandma looks at sewing tutorials on youtube and trust the technology. Also there was still that looming and in the heads of the people very real treat (at least around the first movie, to a lesser extend the second one) of the entire civilization crumbling because of nuclear war. The movies played a lot with those two fears by combining them, something that just doesn't work as well today. People neither worry about computers taking over nor nuclear war.

well, all the best films are inescapably products of the time they were made in. look at robocop. the 80s version is a classic and the remake tried to update it for today's world - for better or worse. i personally liked it and while culturally relevant, it isn't going to be remembered. i think transformers is a better film to look at if you wanted to capture the collective zeitgeist of today.

like you say, terminator is all nuclear war and increasing computerization. it'll be a hell of a thing to update - given that it sounds like this is what this film will be - and this quote does not fill me with confidence:

quote:

The threat of nuclear holocaust that freaked out ’80s audiences has been eclipsed by our fear of cyberattack. “Skynet no longer has to break down our front door because we line up in front of Apple stores to invite it in,” Ellison says. “We’re constantly giving away our privacy.”

skynet never broke down the front door for your personal information - it firebombed your entire neighborhood, not caring about anyone except john connor.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Milky Moor posted:

skynet never broke down the front door for your personal information - it firebombed your entire neighborhood, not caring about anyone except john connor.

I don't know about you but I had nightmares containing mushroom clouds, I didn't have any nightmares containing my email account being hacked. I think the western world just does too well to make something apocalyptic look like a legit "poo poo this might happen someday somehow" scenario. I mean people nowadays get emotionally upset about things they read on the internet on accident, because they seemingly literally have nothing real to worry about.

I think such a movie could still work as absolute period piece without being updated in any way. I legit could enjoy a new terminator set in the 80s and quite honestly, it'd be hilarious and a thing to talk about. You know, somebody is gonna do it eventually.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Matt Smith jesus I know Terminator is a "big name" franchise and years of Doctor Who have muddled your brain as to what's quality and what isn't (possibly permanently) but for god's sake you're a decent actor you don't have to do this

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Millenials loving ruin everything.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Uh oh a big buff terminator caught her, hope this isn't "pop"

NWS http://imgur.com/ITLdYDY NWS

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's pretty amazing how Emilia Clarke's biggest role is to look pretty and posture 99% of the time and she can barely do that right, but her face is super expressive and she's got a great face/body so everyone is like :shrug: she's great.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

where are my dragons lol

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

she probably just got really excited at the prospect of a role where she gets to show more than one emotion

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

where are my dragons lol

the whole character makes sense when you just realize she's a crazy medieval cat lady.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Is that the gun from District 9?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
It looks like a paintball gun that somebody stuck a red-dot sight on and photoshopped in a crappy ray gun effect on.

And ELL OH loving ELL if they thought those awful facial expressions were going to convince anyone that these actors are tough, edgy, or anything other that soft-serve Brits.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

SunAndSpring posted:

Is that the gun from District 9?

Another good question would be is 'Why does (what appears to be) a flamethrower have a stock?'

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

holy gently caress the OP's serious that is literally the plot they are going with

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Sounds like some poo poo that fucker Damon Lindelof would come up with.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Serak posted:

Another good question would be is 'Why does (what appears to be) a flamethrower have a stock?'
umm duh thats supposed to be a phased plasma rifle, 40W range, dummy :rolleyes:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

I am sorry, I can't get over this. She is not even looking at what she's shooting at. Why is she shooting at the ground while yelling? Her finger isn't even on the trigger properly. That muzzle flash/flame on the second one also looks so obviously smeared on in photoshop, It's not even emitting any light. What's wrong with his face. Oh my god, that face. Why would he hold that thing like this? What is he even looking at. Is he looking at the flamethrower? Is he looking at the flamethrower while shooting? Why isn't there any recoil in both of the pictures? Who the hell thought this was a good idea? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT DUDE'S FACE? ijhiugyi,,.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

jenniCis

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is what happens when the majority of people working in Hollywood grew up in an upper middle class suburb
this is true & it's great

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Additional 'screaming while firing guns on an empty runway' photos:

Serak fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 31, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I am sorry, I can't get over this. She is not even looking at what she's shooting at. Why is she shooting at the ground while yelling? Her finger isn't even on the trigger properly. That muzzle flash/flame on the second one also looks so obviously smeared on in photoshop, It's not even emitting any light. What's wrong with his face. Oh my god, that face. Why would he hold that thing like this? What is he even looking at. Is he looking at the flamethrower? Is he looking at the flamethrower while shooting? Why isn't there any recoil in both of the pictures? Who the hell thought this was a good idea? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT DUDE'S FACE? ijhiugyi,,.
must be inspired by warhammer art

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

somebody forgot to render the rest of matt smith's face

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
They look like a pack of loving retards. What a way to drag the first two movies through the mud.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i eagerly await the future of hollywood where every movie is like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southland_Tales

and they send a killer robot back to the past to destroy american culture while it's still young

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Somebody forgot to photoshop the muzzle flashes in. These poses make as much sense for that than all others. Also that chick is :smug:

E: Also the skies in the background are the most fake thing since me screwing around with some 3d-terrain generator program in 2001

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread