Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CK07 posted:

I was pretty sure, anectdotally and from tutorials, that time was the ONLY factor in the quality of the item - like, make the shield in less than 15 seconds, it's Good; 10 seconds, Great; 7 seconds Top or whatever. And I know that higher-level tools make the bars fill faster. Anyone have a source for other info? I've always just ignored the "nice/great/excellent" popups.

I don't think so, I've made fast and sloppy and only get Bronze quality, and have done slower with all Great and gotten Gold quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

CK07 posted:

I was pretty sure, anectdotally and from tutorials, that time was the ONLY factor in the quality of the item - like, make the shield in less than 15 seconds, it's Good; 10 seconds, Great; 7 seconds Top or whatever. And I know that higher-level tools make the bars fill faster. Anyone have a source for other info? I've always just ignored the "nice/great/excellent" popups.

That's absolutely not the case. I can give you some sources, but they're all in Japanese--if you want them I can link them though.

There are two factors in deciding an item's quality--number of Nice/Greats and sub-skills. (e.g. "wooden weapons" skill) And of course, item difficulty, which affects both quality and the mini-games. There's a random factor in there too--number of nice/greats and sub-skills increase the chance of getting a good quality item, but don't necessarily guarantee it.

Your base skill affects the rate at which the crafting bars fill. The actual formula is (Crafting Ability) x (1 + Craft Skill%). This is modified by the difficulty of the item of course. Crafting Ability is the associated ability score on your stat sheet, which is derived from your main stats plus the bonus provided by your tool. Craft skill is the associated "main" skill. (e.g. "Carpentry") Time is only important in as much that the more quickly you complete each crafting station, the more likely you are to get a Nice! Great! Etc.

But don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself! Pick an item that you can consistently get top quality on and start making it, but don't use your special meter. Wait until you get to the very last station (so you're at like 87% or 95% or whatever) and then just sit there until the clock almost runs out, then use your special so that the last station gets a Great as well. Even though the clock's practically at zero, I bet you'll still get a top quality item!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
For carpentry, idk about the other crafts since I haven't done them, making the basic stuff you get greats pretty easily if you don't miss any on the right station, mash well on the center station, and hold without releasing at all on the left station and thus far I've only not gotten a HQ once when I figured out it wasn't super tight timed and stopped missing the right station.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Well thanks for the info, everyone, I'll be sure and try this different method and see how that works!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
This game is hella cute and the dialogue reminds me of FF14 with all the fun the translators obviously had with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If your character is female and you want to reduce the grind of getting skill levels up, the outfit you get from the password "Lace case" contains a dress that increases skill gain. It's a maid dress, so I would assume the male equivalent (the Butler outfit) does the same thing. It also has ridiculously good defense and magic defense, so I'm not using it in combat unless I start actually being challenged.

Do you have to advance the story to be able to buy a house in Port Puerto? The realtor says I have to be a "VIP" to buy it.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

precision posted:

If your character is female and you want to reduce the grind of getting skill levels up, the outfit you get from the password "Lace case" contains a dress that increases skill gain. It's a maid dress, so I would assume the male equivalent (the Butler outfit) does the same thing. It also has ridiculously good defense and magic defense, so I'm not using it in combat unless I start actually being challenged.

Do you have to advance the story to be able to buy a house in Port Puerto? The realtor says I have to be a "VIP" to buy it.

Gonna get this. :3:

The Vacation Home in Puerto is available for 50k after you go there the first time, do the story, return to King Erik, and come back.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

precision posted:

butler outfit increass ally friendship i believe

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

When does the tailor get the ability to make clothes that don't suck? I'm an apprentice and so far I haven't seen anything for my wizard.

precision posted:

If your character is female and you want to reduce the grind of getting skill levels up, the outfit you get from the password "Lace case" contains a dress that increases skill gain. It's a maid dress.

I knew that I should have started with a female character to play virtual dress up. :negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Corridor posted:

butler outfit increass ally friendship i believe

The female one that does that is a "lolita" dress you get with "Exceedingly cute". Or maybe it's the other way around and you get that one with "Lace case", I know it's one of the two because they're the only passwords I've used.

e: Yeah it's "Exceedingly cute" that gets you the maid, "Lace case" gets you the Lolita set.

precision fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm at the break in the story where I need to check up on Robin, the Goddess Ship, and whatnot. I started out as a blacksmith and got as far as I could before switching to Paladin. I got sick of getting gated, so I did 4 chapters in a row. Today I spent a lot of time grinding out Dosh to bank roll getting other Lifes up and improving gear. I started with 100k, bought everything I could in terms of mats, and then got Auto+ in a few gold armor recipes and sold those and got up to 200k. Started Carpenter and Wood Cutter and they're both at Expert now with a lot of mats left over to replenish some Dosh from buying the Port Peurto house for fast warping. Also got Blacksmithing up to Master and downed the Nap Dragon.

Notes:
- Why can't I loving bulk make armor this is bullshit :qq:
- Find 3 Elder Oak Logs is a bullshit quest
- Being on the cusp of getting the numbers to work in your favor sucks (having to do 4 timed hits versus 3 or 2)
- Three bounty limit is kinda horseshit
- Tree boss battles are the best

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Phone posted:

downed the Nap Dragon.

But let's be honest, who was the real monster in this engagement?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Nap Dragon. He hits pretty hard and it took way longer than I thought it would.

Dude owes me some potion money.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

gmq posted:

When does the tailor get the ability to make clothes that don't suck? I'm an apprentice and so far I haven't seen anything for my wizard.

yeah you don't start getting clothes with decent stats until probably expert level.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
loving Plains Eels, man. Found a spot that gave me four in a row, and refuses to give me a fifth.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

loving Plains Eels, man. Found a spot that gave me four in a row, and refuses to give me a fifth.

have fun experiencing this with every fish in every area

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

precision posted:

The female one that does that is a "lolita" dress you get with "Exceedingly cute". Or maybe it's the other way around and you get that one with "Lace case", I know it's one of the two because they're the only passwords I've used.

e: Yeah it's "Exceedingly cute" that gets you the maid, "Lace case" gets you the Lolita set.

Just got the game, got beat by some bandits. Used "Exceedingly cute", dressed up like a maid since it was all better than my Paladin gear. Then I slaughtered them all. My cuteness will be their undoing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are there any Dagger combos besides "mash A" and the forward/backward slashes? I think I'll pick up a single level in Paladin just so I can use Swords when I'm not using magic.

I love the writing/translation. I just finished a quest and the guy said "Aren't you worried that I keep asking you for bomb-making materials?" :lol:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

precision posted:

Are there any Dagger combos besides "mash A" and the forward/backward slashes? I think I'll pick up a single level in Paladin just so I can use Swords when I'm not using magic.

I love the writing/translation. I just finished a quest and the guy said "Aren't you worried that I keep asking you for bomb-making materials?" :lol:

i love that guy and his unrequited pining for gaites

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You're half pirate and half princess, doesn't that make you "Her HAAAAARRRR-nes"?

:allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I was a bit disappointed in (minor Porto spoiler) Olivia isn't in her pirate garb as a party member after the chapter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

I was a bit disappointed in (minor Porto spoiler) Olivia isn't in her pirate garb as a party member after the chapter.

Yeah, and likewise with Laura, her "girboy" outfit is much cuter than her full Princess look.

I wonder why the birds in Puerto don't talk in lolcat-speak in the US translation?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So how exactly do you wizard? I really like playing it, but I always run out of SP super fast then sit around trying not to get my poo poo stomped in by mushrooms. Is there any way to raise your SP? Or am I just being bad at wizard?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nuebot posted:

So how exactly do you wizard? I really like playing it, but I always run out of SP super fast then sit around trying not to get my poo poo stomped in by mushrooms. Is there any way to raise your SP? Or am I just being bad at wizard?

According to the OP, you just chug stamina potions like a junkie.

It would be a good idea to at least dabble in Alchemist so you can make your own.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
If you get the DLC, there are a few end-game items that raise SP regeneration, most notably a ring that has SP regen ++++ (costing Gold Lunares coins). Mostly it really does come down to an IV drip of stamina potions.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah, and likewise with Laura, her "girboy" outfit is much cuter than her full Princess look.

I wonder why the birds in Puerto don't talk in lolcat-speak in the US translation?

Different translation/localisation units for Nintendo Europe and North America means a lot of things don't get shared. Seems like a rather silly duplication of work to me, but eh.

Also Laura dresses in her cute little tomboy outfit at night, you'll find her wandering around Castele food market with cap and breeches on, ready for adventure.

I've finished most of the God quests now, and you can get your Life Master to come on a Very Special Adventure with you once you've achieved God status. While it's fun to get Jinx or Mustang to come along with you, bigod, the quests are arse-kickingly hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Silver Falcon posted:

According to the OP, you just chug stamina potions like a junkie.

It would be a good idea to at least dabble in Alchemist so you can make your own.

Yeah definitely Alchemist/Wizard, and also keep up with your Dagger skill because they're good weapons and if you run out of SP there's no penalty for just switching weapon to finish the fight off. Also make sure you have two companions that have high physical attack/defense to tank for you while you heal them.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

precision posted:

The one in the tailor shop does...

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
they got rid of bawoon of wies, too. it's real hosed up.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

precision posted:

Both Olivia and Laura Are avaliable in their cooler outfits if you visit them at night, Laura is southeast of the restaurant on the main road, and Olivia is on her ship.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
This only cements my belief that Odin is the asskickingest companion. Dude's always wearing the raddest outfit :colbert:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So the US got screwed out of all of the good jokes?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

Nah there's still plenty of goofy puns to go around. Some of them are just done in different styles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RadicalR posted:

Nah it's still really funny. I'm not sure birds that talk like lolcats is a "good joke" anyway.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

they got rid of bawoon of wies, too. it's real hosed up.

Whaaat? The wittle kid and her bawoon of wies is hystewical!

The best NPC is probably the shady guy obsessed with Gaites the Guard on the southern way out of Castele. I don't know why he needs sleep, stun and poison powders, but I'm growing increasingly worried for poor Gaites.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
There are so many things I want to do that I keep putting off advancing the story. I'm getting the point now, though, that I'm going to have to in order to advance lives because I can no longer get the materials I need to complete challenges.

Also, here's something that happens apparently: If you adventure with another player who is an angler, let's say, and the angler fishes up fish while you're in multiplayer, a copy of the fish will be left behind for the other player, only visible to them AND it counts toward angler achievements, apparently, because my wife got a bunch of stars for fish I got out of the lava cave and on the plains and such when we were playing together. She switched to angler for the first time and had enough stars to jump straight to adept.

So in theory, woodcutter and miner challenges would work the same way.

And you get multiples of the bounty item rewards too. Only one person can get the dosh but if you're with a second person you get two of the item. We beat up a bandit in the desert and I turned the bounty in and we got two stuffed camels. :3:

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
I recently finished the game, and it's still a good time.

I am having trouble finding all of the houses. One in Castele, one in Port Puerto, one in Al Maajik. Where are the rest of the houses?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Elderwood Village, Plushling Village, Origin Island

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Leofish posted:

Also, here's something that happens apparently: If you adventure with another player who is an angler, let's say, and the angler fishes up fish while you're in multiplayer, a copy of the fish will be left behind for the other player, only visible to them AND it counts toward angler achievements, apparently, because my wife got a bunch of stars for fish I got out of the lava cave and on the plains and such when we were playing together. She switched to angler for the first time and had enough stars to jump straight to adept.

So in theory, woodcutter and miner challenges would work the same way.

And you get multiples of the bounty item rewards too. Only one person can get the dosh but if you're with a second person you get two of the item. We beat up a bandit in the desert and I turned the bounty in and we got two stuffed camels. :3:

Yeah, all item drops/rewards are doubled in multiplayer. I went through the lava cave with my wife's character so she could gain a bunch of experience and complete wizard challenges off the monsters in there, and we ended up with a nutso amount of that fire ore because I was mining everything we came across and she got drops for it too. Later on, I went around collecting the extra wood from the trees she cut down, and I got a bunch of woodcutter challenges in the process.

Multiplayer is really goddamn good if you want to farm up a pile of good ingredients and tear through challenges. Getting two shards from a wingstone is sweet as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, all item drops/rewards are doubled in multiplayer. I went through the lava cave with my wife's character so she could gain a bunch of experience and complete wizard challenges off the monsters in there, and we ended up with a nutso amount of that fire ore because I was mining everything we came across and she got drops for it too. Later on, I went around collecting the extra wood from the trees she cut down, and I got a bunch of woodcutter challenges in the process.

Multiplayer is really goddamn good if you want to farm up a pile of good ingredients and tear through challenges. Getting two shards from a wingstone is sweet as heck.

Wow, it's great to hear that they fixed that! That wasn't the case in the Japanese version--well, not with the bounties at least. Updating the OP accordingly.

• Locked thread