Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you look at demographic breakdowns in many of these close races, men are voting for Republicans by double digits, and women are voting for Democrats by double digits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you look at demographic breakdowns in many of these close races, men are voting for Republicans by double digits, and women are voting for Democrats by double digits.

Yup. The latest QU poll had the Republican in Colorado for senate up 22 points among men. In Connecticut the Republican and Democratic candidates for governor have in the last 2 QU polls each had a 17 point lead among men and women respectively.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Three ballot questions could basically end abortions

quote:

The Tennessee measure, known as Amendment 1, would declare that Tennessee's constitution does not protect women's right to have to an abortion, even in cases of rape. The measure would effectively overrule a 2000 Tennessee Supreme Court decision that struck down a 36-hour mandatory waiting period before abortion, citing women's right to privacy under the state constitution.

quote:

Meanwhile, voters in North Dakota and Colorado are considering fetal personhood measures, which would grant legal personhood rights to zygotes from the moment of fertilization. In addition to completely banning abortion without exceptions, the measures could ban some forms of birth control that anti-abortion activists claim work by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting into the uterus.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Three ballot questions could basically end abortions

The Nullification Crisis of 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would hope if any of those pass they are immediately stayed by a judge

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the idea.

Then it becomes a 5-4 decision to uphold the amendments in a couple years.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wait, how many states can amend their constitutions with a ballot measure?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's nothing to stay because they wouldn't create any substantive law. 90% of what the media says about them is GOTV propaganda on both sides.

e: Except the Colorado one but it won't pass.

Kiwi Ghost Chips fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Wait, how many states can amend their constitutions with a ballot measure?

Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Florida
Illinois
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Dakota

Edit: that's without legislative involvement.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
As a Tennesseean, I REALLY doubt that Amendment 1 passes, but I've been wrong before. The last few weeks have had some major groups come out in opposition of the amendment, such as lots of church groups and members of the clergy. I read a poll back a long time ago that had nearly 60-70% of those polled in opposition to amendment 1, but that could have changed of course.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I voted a few days ago here in Colorado and voted for Udall. No on person hood, yes on expanded gambling to finance school funding, yes on GMO labeling.

Its really disheartening to see Gardner taking a lead in this state, I'm flabbergasted that he will probably win based on polling. Coloradans apparently have the same mental capacity as the rest of America for remembering how badly republicans hosed us over and have done everything they can to gently caress us over harder since. God I hate my fellow countrymen. :sigh:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Well Obama's speech was freaking awesome to witness (Let hope reign, not fear). As was Michaud's, Bellows', Pingree's, etc.

I honestly think Michaud can win now.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What worries me for Durbin's future is that downstate models have Quinn and Rauner tied. I'm unsure that transitions into a Quinn-Oberweis tie.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW

Grouchio posted:

Well Obama's speech was freaking awesome to witness (Let hope reign, not fear). As was Michaud's, Bellows', Pingree's, etc.

Nobody will ever win

We're all loving doomed.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

England Sucks posted:

Nobody will ever win

We're all loving doomed.

Death is certain?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dear alcohol, please help me forget that I'm going to be living the rest of my life through a great historical downswing and degradation. In return, I offer my liver.

Picked up a special bottle of bourbon just for Tuesday! My only hope is that Hickenlooper squeaks by, as a GOP governor getting elected would probably send a chill down the spine of the industry that I just moved here to join.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 31, 2014

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

What worries me for Durbin's future is that downstate models have Quinn and Rauner tied. I'm unsure that transitions into a Quinn-Oberweis tie.

Durbin's done better than Quinn in polling throughout this cycle, and has also had way-better approval ratings. And if downstate's showing a tie between Quinn/Rauner, I'd think that's good news for Dems.

sidenote: I just saw an ad for Mel Thillens for state rep and did a doubletake because of his resemblance to John Goodman.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Grouchio posted:

I saw a couple people who were really pissed about the traffic and said they were no longer voting for him, haha. Not enough that it's going to make a bit of difference, but enough to reinforce to me how dumb voters are :v:
Also, Cutler is no longer going to be running TV ads after tomorrow, and his campaign is continuing on its downward trajectory.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today in Bqhatevwr, Scott Brown got a geography lesson on the location of counties in his newly adopted state.

Unrelated, but I do find it odd that so many of you can drink while being too young to remember the Bush years.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sten Freak posted:

The difference is informed pro-gun voters might vote either way or abstain if Democratic politicians don't get involved with gun control. When they act so do the voters. All the gun stores around here (CO) have pro gun candidate signs in front of them. Gun people are extremely motivated to vote this election. It cannot be over emphasized. In short regardless of NRA endorsement in the past CO has had D state majorities, governor and D representatives in E: the senate. Much or all of that is likely to be reversed.

I voted for Obama, Sen Casey(D) and Toomey(R)

I will vote against both of them in 2016 and 2018, because gently caress YOU, YOU TRIED TO gently caress WITH MY GUNS AND I DON'T FORGET.

I vote for Democrats for better quality of life laws, paid maternity leave, unions, increase minimum wage etc..

I vote for Republicans because Democrats can't shut the gently caress up about loving with my hobby. Their stance on Illegal immigration sucks also.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They sure did gently caress with the guns hard. Why it's exactly as easy for me to buy one today as it was 6 years ago.

Single issue voters are the worst, and democracy everywhere would be better off if they all finally started taking their meds.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Where the gently caress are all these gunposters coming from? What kind of household raises single issue voters?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where the gently caress are all these gunposters coming from? What kind of household raises single issue voters?

The vast majority.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Zeno-25 posted:

Dear alcohol, please help me forget that I'm going to be living the rest of my life through a great historical downswing and degradation. In return, I offer my liver.

Picked up a special bottle of bourbon just for Tuesday! My only hope is that Hickenlooper squeaks by, as a GOP governor getting elected would probably send a chill down the spine of the industry that I just moved here to join.

Hehp, who do you supply? I'll patronize them next time :ssh:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

New Quinnipiac poll shows Gardner 46%, Udall 39% in CO SEN
Ahaha get loving wrecked. Anybody in politics who thought the gun control thing would've "blown over" by now was a) a calculating snake and b) should never hold a political strategy job again.

e: Goddam surfing this forum in November is going to be glorious. :allears:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 31, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I live in SC now so I really haven't had much of a reason to keep up with the midterms. My impression is based on Nates numbers that the Republicans will probably get the majority but I don't have to worry about them having enough to beat a Veto or Filibuster.

Still going to vote on the 4th not that it matters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The people who obviously don't even know what the hell they are talking about ("Durbin gonna lose?" guy, etc.) are even better. Still I bet this place was a riot after 2004, especially from the Europeans who went to bed to exit polling that indicated a Kerry win only to open up to 4 more years of Bush.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile PPP has them tied at 48% and the Denver Post has Gardner +2. I'm skeptical that the Q poll's showing of 7% for the independent candidate will hold. Third party candidates always poll better than they get on election day.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Nate's midterm predictions in 2010 were pretty accurate right?

edit: lol posting in D&D with this stupid avatar.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My parents raised me on "people vote their pocketbook, we always vote for the party we think will make the economy do better."

So, they've been nearly straight-ticket (D) voters their whole lives.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Going to be honest the main reason why I vote is for healthcare.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Nate's midterm predictions in 2010 were pretty accurate right?

:lol: No, they were wildly off, though to be fair to him nobody predicted 2010 would be as bad for the Democrats as it turned out to be.

Midterm polling is notoriously flaky and you should not be surprised to see these races break the way you aren't expecting - in both directions.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, there's always lots of people who don't give a poo poo about anything political and never vote. I suppose single-issue voters are mostly just like them, except there's one thing they happen to care about.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Joementum posted:

:lol: No, they were wildly off, though to be fair to him nobody predicted 2010 would be as bad for the Democrats as it turned out to be.

Midterm polling is notoriously flaky and you should not be surprised to see these races break the way you aren't expecting - in both directions.

They weren't way off, some other predictors had better house forecasts (some worse) and his senate forecast was reasonably accurate.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

WS6 97 posted:

Toomey(R)

gently caress YOU, YOU TRIED TO gently caress WITH MY GUNS AND I DON'T FORGET.

You mean the Manchin-Toomey amendment that was going to expand background checks? Why was this going to interfere with your guns, are you a violent felon or severely mentally ill? Sorry, but I don't think your hobby needs matter here.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

violent felon

Nice whitewashing of our criminal criminal justice system :waycool:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WS6 97 posted:

I vote for Democrats for better quality of life laws, paid maternity leave, unions, increase minimum wage etc..

I vote for Republicans because Democrats can't shut the gently caress up about loving with my hobby. Their stance on Illegal immigration sucks also.
I enjoy these wonderful advances in society.... BUT MAH HOBBY!!! :argh:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It's a slippery slope you hoplophobe! :colbert: :freep:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'm apathetic on guns, except when there's a mass shooting, or when some gun dork won't shut the gently caress up about the non-existent War On Guns.

I hope those people lose them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lycus posted:

Well, there's always lots of people who don't give a poo poo about anything political and never vote. I suppose single-issue voters are mostly just like them, except there's one thing they happen to care about.
I guess that makes sense.

And I guess at this point I'm a single-issue voter with that issue being "gently caress one side forever" so I haven't got much room to talk.

• Locked thread