Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

-Troika- posted:

If you're looking for anime to advance your favorite social justice issues, I'd say you're looking in the wrong loving place.

Also literally the only reason the captains in SEED were female is so they could cut to a shot of their boobs shaking whenever the ship got hit.

That was pretty much my point, yeah. Gundam as a series does an awful job with female characters, G-Reco is no different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For all of the flaws SEED had, I never had a problem with them making the Bright equivalent a woman.

Yeah there were a a few fanservice shots (that they admittedly recycled over but SEED hella reused footage anyways) but overall I think she was a deece character.

Tho I think that overall Gundam has handled women really well and really poorly; there are a lot of different people making it throughout its 35 year history so of course you're gonna get a wide range of results with women.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

For all of the flaws SEED had, I never had a problem with them making the Bright equivalent a woman.

Yeah there were a a few fanservice shots (that they admittedly recycled over but SEED hella reused footage anyways) but overall I think she was a deece character.

Tho I think that overall Gundam has handled women really well and really poorly; there are a lot of different people making it throughout its 35 year history so of course you're gonna get a wide range of results with women.

Ramius was one of the best characters in SEED, and after Bright, she's probably my favorite captain. I mean sure she had a meltdown because Mu died but before then she had some really good interactions with Kira. Then again she got the older sibling characteristics of Bright and Natarle got the "gently caress you up for not following military code" characteristics, so who knows.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Natarle was the Bright stand in, I thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Natarle and Ramius are both Bright standins. Ramius has the closer backstory and role, Natarle has a closer personality.

Gundam is never great with women but there are degrees, especially when you take the era into context. The original Gundam was pretty drat progressive for its time period and characters like Sayla, Kycillia and Mirai all got to do quite a bit. Other shows had bigger problems but it isn't a case where every one is equal.

That said, the franchise has been in a real downward slope in that degree lately. Turn-A and parts of SEED were arguably the high points in recent memory and then it's been a downward slope. (Although AGE is probably the absolute worst the franchise could ever be.) I think that's why you even see this brought up when Gundam isn't honestly that different from other anime shows. Even if it wasn't absolutely great, it used to be better.

Gundam, as a franchise, has a fairly strong female fanbase. It isn't equal to the male fans but there's no denying that it exists. They made up a big part of several of the most successful Gundam fandoms and a big part of SEED's success is that it hit the female fanbase really hard. 00 getting the Loveless character designer wasn't an attempt to pander to male audience members, that is for certain.

That is part of why Age was such a disaster. It absolutely didn't hit any of Gundam's 'side' markets. It drove away kids, it drove away female audience members and the viewers it retained were largely the "Zeta Gundam" crowd who were mostly in it for franchise loyalty and gunpla. Age Generation 2 was the most successful not just because it had the least-terrible writing but because it briefly recovered some of those demographics. (Memories of Eden Part 1 is the way it is because of that and it's honestly a fairly mercenary and blatant attempt to pander to a certain kind of predominantly female fan too.) I recall an interview stating that Age's demographics by the end were absolutely dire for a Gundam series, nothing but the diehard gunota.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 26, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm sure that by the end, a lot of people were watching out of morbid fascination too.

It just kept getting worse.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm sure that by the end, a lot of people were watching out of morbid fascination too.

It just kept getting worse.

It's why I kept watching to the end. That and the beepy noises the enemy suits made.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam, as a franchise, has a fairly strong female fanbase. It isn't equal to the male fans but there's no denying that it exists. They made up a big part of several of the most successful Gundam fandoms and a big part of SEED's success is that it hit the female fanbase really hard. 00 getting the Loveless character designer wasn't an attempt to pander to male audience members, that is for certain.

I think they're trying to make up for that, because they've made a pretty good push to acknowledge the female fanbase even exists with Build Fighters Try.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember reading somewhere that Tomino was (pleasantly) surprised at how many female fans he keep metting or getting letters from during the time of the original series.

Kind of like Star Trek, come to think of it.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
Are we still crying about Captain Cahill in this thread? :laffo:

Now, on to more serious business - what is that beam-cancelling ribbon beam poo poo all about? I've seen the spinning beam saber shield technique before, but the Zeong: Future Edition shot small ribbon beams from its fingertips, has that been seen in Gundam before?

Besides on-seat toilets, this may be the next Gundam Futuretech™ that we've seen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dunno, it just looked like regular beams to me, just tons of tiny small ones. The Geymalk had a similar deal going on.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Sharkopath posted:

I dunno, it just looked like regular beams to me, just tons of tiny small ones. The Geymalk had a similar deal going on.

They ripped apart the bigger beams, that's what I saw anyway.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jegan Ace posted:

They ripped apart the bigger beams, that's what I saw anyway.

Yeah, I just assumed that's what happens when beams contact each other, or maybe Amerian beam technology is different from what the capital has with the more advanced rose of hermes blueprints, and can be disrupted like that.

All of the amerian beam weapons are green, including the G-Arcane's anti ship rifle, the point defense beams on the megafauna, and the montero rifle, compared to the G-Self's traditional pink beam.

Also made a gif of that fight, because its cool.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Like even at the smallest unit it's two women who can pilot the gundam, and bellri.

And despite that, it's only Bellri who gets to. I just caught up to episode five and still Aida doesn't (get to) do anything during the most recent battle except try and fire an anti-ship weapon at small fighters. At least she's got a cool unique looking suit!

The stuff going on in the background about the war is pretty interesting, it's too bad we're following around this boring carefree guy instead.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
As long as we're on the subject, if Aida is supposed to be this princess that the rest of the crew feel compelled to keep out of harm's way, why on earth was she not only involved in a mission to steal photon batteries, but also piloting a mobile suit whose capabilities they definitely did not understand very well? (Given they had captured it like 1 week ago.)

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Going by her rehearsed speech, it sounded like they'd done those battery-stealing missions a hundred times before without incident. Maybe they'd never run into a Crown with a maverick cadet with nothing to lose like Bellri Torriti before. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

As long as we're on the subject, if Aida is supposed to be this princess that the rest of the crew feel compelled to keep out of harm's way, why on earth was she not only involved in a mission to steal photon batteries, but also piloting a mobile suit whose capabilities they definitely did not understand very well? (Given they had captured it like 1 week ago.)

Because it should have been a fairly effortless thing to do. Literally the only reason it failed is because the G-Self decided to stop working right, otherwise the only danger would have been that they killed some of the defenders and pissed people off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Because it should have been a fairly effortless thing to do. Literally the only reason it failed is because the G-Self decided to stop working right, otherwise the only danger would have been that they killed some of the defenders and pissed people off.

Pretty much this. She was the only one that could even pilot it, and it was going up against general-labor mobile suits being used for cadet training. By all rights it should've been an easy smash-and-grab.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

My issue is less with them thinking it would be an easy and/or routine operation and more to do with them deciding that she should pilot the unknown new machine to do it.

Sure it's powerful but based on everything we've seen so far their standard mechs could still thrash the Crown's guards with ease so it seems like a needless risk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

My issue is less with them thinking it would be an easy and/or routine operation and more to do with them deciding that she should pilot the unknown new machine to do it.

Sure it's powerful but based on everything we've seen so far their standard mechs could still thrash the Crown's guards with ease so it seems like a needless risk.

Captain Cahill was busy on another operation at the time. Her attack was IIRC also supposed to be a distraction. That is why there were no Grimiores along with her.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
They had also had it for a week at that point. That could have been long enough for them to decide it's working well enough to send it up on a presumably easy mission since there were no Bellris around to make it act funny. :shrug:

Edit: Let us not forget that these are the dudes totally cool with letting a hostage pilot the very same mobile suit to help defend the ship. :v:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 27, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

Since the plan was "tie up that other crown with the Capital Guard on it so they don't intervene while the rest of us loot this other crown" it's entirely possible they believed that Aida was being given the less dangerous job, since she was supposed to babysit a bunch of unprepared trainees with repair mobile suits at gunpoint in an overpowered prototype mobile suit long enough for Cahill and Co to overpower the defenders of the other crown. If the suit didn't malfunction when it met Bellri she would have made a bunch of Recten Sashimi with her beam saber pretty effortlessly when they got uppity on her.

It could also be a technological thing; Bellri mentions that for most mobile suits they need a field projected by the crown to not get pulled into the atmosphere by gravity, while Aida mentions that for the G-Self this isn't the case. It could be possible that Grimoires need the Base Jabber things to stay in upper orbit so it was far more convenient to use a suit that didn't need any help to escape after the fact(but only Aida can pilot).

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

When Bellri finds out that he offed Dellensen, I hope he collapses into a crying wreck in the same room as Aida so they end up crying together. Then Noredo starts crying because Bellri is crying. Then Happa or Klim Nick or the Megafauna captain is all like :yikes:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Level Slide posted:

When Bellri finds out that he offed Dellensen, I hope he collapses into a crying wreck in the same room as Aida so they end up crying together. Then Noredo starts crying because Bellri is crying. Then Happa or Klim Nick or the Megafauna captain is all like :yikes:

Nah, Klim Nick would probably be the stoic "This is what warfare is all about..." guy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

As stoic as he could be with Monday hanging off him.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Monday casually yanking on his ponytail was a highlight of the episode. The entire bridge scene, really. :allears:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

At first I was a little bothered at Mask spouting the obvious, but then I realized he probably couldn't see poo poo with that mask and he was making (really good) guesses as to what's going on.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I would really, really love it if the terrible mistake Bellri say's he's going to make the next episode is killing mask and not killing his old instructor. Killing a Char the episode after he shows up would be something truly beautiful, and now I'm sad that it probably isn't going to happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I would really, really love it if the terrible mistake Bellri say's he's going to make the next episode is killing mask and not killing his old instructor. Killing a Char the episode after he shows up would be something truly beautiful, and now I'm sad that it probably isn't going to happen.

It'd be surprising for certain but not a chance. Tomino's the master of dropping death flags and his old instructor is basically made out of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well who didn't see that one coming?

The Reflector Pack was pretty neat, thought you'd think they'd want the big-rear end shield panels around the front and not just the back, so it actually protects the G-Self instead of only catching glancing shots and ones from behind :shrug:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That was a very exciting episode, I'm always being surprised by how dramatic and dynamic they are able to make the fight scenes.

Lots of new questions brought up today too, interested to see how they pan out.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is it just me or does Bellri seem to have issues accepting responsibility for the people he kills?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Razzled posted:

Is it just me or does Bellri seem to have issues accepting responsibility for the people he kills?

Dude is a naive, sheltered prodigy who probably has had everything in his life go the way he expected it to until... what, a week ago? A couple days?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Razzled posted:

Not so much. He seemed to acknowledge that he murdered Captain Crunch back in episode two, even if he rightly argues that its not his fault. This episode seems like less of a refusal to accept responsibility and more a straight up first stage of grieving, as he tries to tell himself that he totally didn't kill his instructor.
Overall not a bad episode. Reflector pack was sort of stupidly designed IMHO but I'll chalk that up to wacky prototype. I'm happy they brought back the Variable Phase Shift color change thing from SEED Destiny since that was always sort of cool with the impulse. Fight seemed pretty energetic for once, and they spent the whole episode getting to the fight rather than loving around with side plots that show off how insane G-Reco's writing can be.

No crying Aida too! Though she did absolutely nothing of value in the episode I won't even hold it against them because it was a very character focused episode of Bellri. Would be nice if they gave her a stock footage shot of shooting at something at least, or if Klim Nick could stop getting chumped every episode at some point.

Probably the best G-reco episode to date.

Edit: Oh and I like that the military uses Segways in the future. Way better than those stupid running bird leg things, which must be hella uncomfortable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Bellri's hair being up makes it clear that his design is like indistinguishable from a lady design.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Bellri's hair being up makes it clear that his design is like indistinguishable from a lady design.

Gonna be honest, when I first saw him I was straight up confused as to who the gently caress he was, though part of that was the pilot suit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just cut your hair?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I have absolutely no clue what exactly happened when Bellri killed his instructor. It goes from the Reflector pack tanking a shot from behind (and Bellri freaking out for some reason?) to the other suit taking a chomp out of the shield (the instructor is freaking out too for some reason?), then a punch and then the killshot and then there's a Newtype moment or something? I'd attribute it to the G-Self acting on its own but Bellri struggling with denial makes it out to be him pulling the trigger. So that entire sequence is just a question mark.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I have absolutely no clue what exactly happened when Bellri killed his instructor. It goes from the Reflector pack tanking a shot from behind (and Bellri freaking out for some reason?) to the other suit taking a chomp out of the shield (the instructor is freaking out too for some reason?), then a punch and then the killshot and then there's a Newtype moment or something? I'd attribute it to the G-Self acting on its own but Bellri struggling with denial makes it out to be him pulling the trigger. So that entire sequence is just a question mark.

It tanked the shot, the Elf closed in and tried to grab him (since it was trying to recover the G-Self), he pulled the same beam rifle shot to the cockpit thing he did to the Captain. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

When the haro went high pitched and low volume I think it was the first time I genuinely laughed at something a haro did by itself.

• Locked thread