Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
This isn't good. Like from a mashup standpoint, it's not good. And I'm confused why it became a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
IDM *is* a useful term in that its 3 letters and it describes a certain style of music, I use it unironically even though I don't like what it stands for and neither does anyone else it seems (see also: prog)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Didn't the I in IDM just come from the Artificially Intelligence compilation? Don't even see whats wrong with it

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

IDM is an ill-concieved name was coined in the US in the 90s, most likely inspired by the name of the Warp Artificial Intelligence comps. None of the artists on the Warp roster like the term; Aphex often used the term "Braindance" instead. IDM usually refers to the technically intricate brand of techno that the Warp artists are renowned for at points in their career, and stateside labels like Schematic who had a similar output. It's essentially techno music that takes influence from the 20th Century european avant-grade, with crossovers into breakcore, downtempo, ragga, jungle and none of it fits nicely into one particular box, and most importantly NONE of these artists have a consistent "IDM" output throughout their careers.

But if you were to do a pastiche of the quotidian "IDM sound" circa 2000 when the copycats were in full swing, it would be lush ambient pads contrasted against intricate, skittering and glitchy beats, with simple, melodic basslines. All of which the canonical roster are guilty of at some point, but it by no means represents a fitting description of the majority of their output.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

And yet there is no term which gets across the point of what you're talking about better than IDM. It doesn't matter whether or not an artist does or doesn't like the label most widely accepted to categorize their output, it just matters that it's the most widely accepted and therefore best used in communication. Even people who scoff at the term IDM use it, while rolling their eyes or making little quotey symbols in the air with their fingers. It's been used now for, christ, over a decade to describe this music, I think the ship has sailed on a better term.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
^^^ all good points. I just can't stand people who use words like 'important' and 'intelligent' when referring to music. It doesn't help that it's a genre that's already seen as pretentious. Wait that's it! PDM!

Mutation posted:

This isn't good. Like from a mashup standpoint, it's not good. And I'm confused why it became a deal.

Because it's, like Taylor Smith, who's huge, and Aphex Twins, who are obscure.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 31, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

toadee posted:

And yet there is no term which gets across the point of what you're talking about better than IDM. It doesn't matter whether or not an artist does or doesn't like the label most widely accepted to categorize their output, it just matters that it's the most widely accepted and therefore best used in communication. Even people who scoff at the term IDM use it, while rolling their eyes or making little quotey symbols in the air with their fingers. It's been used now for, christ, over a decade to describe this music, I think the ship has sailed on a better term.

It's meaningless, really. Using a genre label in anything but the loosest terms possible is an absurdity unless you're dealing with the most monomaniacial of artists. If you're using a label to describe a track like Autechre's "Bine" and also Boards of Canada's "Roygbiv" in the same breath, then it's truly an absurdity. It's an absurdity even on a single artist's album. Is Druqks a genre album? How could it be. It has Cageian prepared piano peices juxtaposed with electro-funk, acid techno, musique concrete and something verging on breakcore or jungle. There's no nice label for it and there doesn't need to be, either

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

EvilGenius posted:

Because it's, like Taylor Smith, who's huge, and Aphex Twins, who are obscure.
Really, is that all it takes? Well, time to mashup Jay Z and Merzbow together.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah IDM is a broad genre in the sense that Rock is a broad genre that is nonetheless still somewhat descriptive of what you're talking about. If you say to me "yeah these dues are pretty IDM", I'm immediately going to be expecting electronic music derivative of/inspired by the "originals" . It will probably had some roots in Detroit/Chicago, pull ideas from other genres, be to some degree or another experimental in nature, etc. The same way that "yah these dudes are a rock band" is still a useful way to broadly describe what you're talking about (just saying that conjures up an image of 3-5 people on stage with guitars, drums, and maybe a keyboard or two, with a lead vocalist etc). Use of these terms does not in any way preclude you from then becoming more descriptive. You can subdivide these broader categories all you like and yet still come back to the larger ones because hey, sometimes you're talking about a really broad idea as a whole.

There needs to be a label for it because that's how people loving talk to each other. If you talk about pastiches of acid-house and prepared piano every time you want to talk about an IDM album, or IDM as a whole, nobody will want to talk to your loving autistic pedantic rear end. If your group of friends want to come up with a term other than IDM to use amongst yourselves, that is also fine, because you will have a grouped accepted term for this broad category of music. You will however be unable to escape the fact that the majority of people who listen to this poo poo have, grudgingly or not, trudged along with it as the catchall container for many years now, so if you want to interface with the culture, you'll need to use its terms.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm not being pedantic, quite the opposite. I am saying the term IDM is absurd, and nobody should use it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mutation posted:

Really, is that all it takes? Well, time to mashup Jay Z and Merzbow together.

Jay-Zbow

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbW0-5L_Uww

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Goddamn I love Merzbow

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my loving god, this is certainly a thing I never knew I needed in my life until now :laffo:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

68k posted:

Goddamn I love Merzbow
My favorite Merzbow piece is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0

Goddamn. That segment.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

I don't think anyone's arguing against it having a catch-all term, just that the one that got chosen is painfully embarrassing. To the point that I'd rather name drop similar artists when describing my own music than have to explain the term Intelligent Dance Music and sound like some pretentious douche (yes I'm aware of the irony that avoiding the genre name is itself a little pretentious).

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ninja fetus posted:

My favorite Merzbow piece is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0

Goddamn. That segment.

1930 best Merzbow album

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
new music + an interview http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html

edit; an amazing interview

Four-Twenty fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 3, 2014

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Four-Twenty posted:

new music + an interview http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html

edit; an amazing interview

:iia:

Admits to bullshitting nearly every part of every other interview he's done recently. He has no kids and is not/never has been married. also drugs

e: just finished reading the interview. Don't even know what to think anymore.

Passion for Dilbert fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 3, 2014

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

The bullshit rating is high on this. The reverse version of Avril 14th on the soundcloud page is nice though.

Also the whole "I've got a bunch of tracks but get sidetracked and never release them/takes too long to get them released" is a lame excuse. Either put up or shut up. There's always bandcamp to put up things quickly.

Emetic Hustler fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 3, 2014

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Passion for Dilbert posted:

:iia:

Admits to bullshitting nearly every part of every other interview he's done recently. He has no kids and is not/never has been married. also drugs

e: just finished reading the interview. Don't even know what to think anymore.

Clark gives bullshit interviews too. They can come off pretentious at times.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Emetic Hustler posted:

Also the whole "I've got a bunch of tracks but get sidetracked and never release them/takes too long to get them released" is a lame excuse. Either put up or shut up. There's always bandcamp to put up things quickly.

He probably has contractual obligations to Warp, and the production of an album requires at the very least mastering and artwork so it's not a matter of just throwing it up on Bandcamp, these things take time and money at his level

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Also all musicians will have a massive amount of unfinished material, it's not exactly notable or something unique to RDJ. Like everything, he plays it up to feed his myth (though I don't doubt he does have shitloads of quality stuff)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

how much do you think RDJ's hardware would auction for?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mutation posted:

how much do you think RDJ's hardware would auction for?

Even at face value and not considering it was his it would probably fetch quite a bit...

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I think just the syro list alone is easily a couple hundred grand and it doesn't even list expensive poo poo we know he has like the GX-1, Buchla and Serge modulars, etc

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Wow. That interview is bonkers.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Since the Avril 14th tune he posted is the MIDI notes playing in reverse order, you get the original melody with a reverse timbre and ADSR when you play it backwards

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The new Die Antwoord single samples Ageispolis and has a few nods to Aphex Twin in the video for you to enjoy / get annoyed at:

Ugly Boy (linked for being kinda :nws: for pasties, blood and the usual Die Antwoord carrying on)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

"Samples" haha. I was like "How are they going to use Ageispolis without making it really obvious that hook is so prominent?"

Oh you mean they're going to just basically do an Aegispolis/Rap mashup, ok then.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I am sure Mr. James is cool with them using Ageispolis in the track, he's good mates with them.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Emetic Hustler posted:

I am sure Mr. James is cool with them using Ageispolis in the track, he's good mates with them.
There's several pictures of AFX with Die Antwoord:

Like this one.
And this one.

The samples sound a bit cleaner. Wouldn't be surprised if he gave the original files to their producer.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Tenterhooks posted:

The new Die Antwoord single samples Ageispolis and has a few nods to Aphex Twin in the video for you to enjoy / get annoyed at:

Ugly Boy (linked for being kinda :nws: for pasties, blood and the usual Die Antwoord carrying on)

For a second I thought he was in there in blackface, but nah. That's the intention I guess though.

The most recent interview was amazing. Says he doesn't have kids then later on there are the tracks that one of his kids made? Classic Aphex.

Ninja fetus posted:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/a46Evyo.jpg]And this one.[/img]

I've been there, where RDJ stood. Now I feel special.

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 5, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ninja fetus posted:

There's several pictures of AFX with Die Antwoord:

Like this one.
And this one.

The samples sound a bit cleaner. Wouldn't be surprised if he gave the original files to their producer.

they've used the original mix but put a fresh beat over it. The drums from the original recording wouldn't be noticeable against it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It's a really good use of the song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mutation posted:

It's a really good use of the song.
It would be if it wasn't a Die Antwoord track. I think this Ageispolis/rap mashup idea has a ton of potential, but not with them doing the rapping. Of course, I just hate anything Die Antwoord does in general. If it was another hip-hop artist on this track instead, I'd probably like it a lot more.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It would be if it wasn't a Die Antwoord track. I think this Ageispolis/rap mashup idea has a ton of potential, but not with them doing the rapping. Of course, I just hate anything Die Antwoord does in general. If it was another hip-hop artist on this track instead, I'd probably like it a lot more.
are you looking forward to their foray into acting? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNshgSYF_M

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mutation posted:

are you looking forward to their foray into acting? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNshgSYF_M
I saw that trailer yesterday, ughhhhhhhh :( I'm a fan of Blomkamp but I'm not excited for that one at. all.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Ninja apparently acted like a complete tosser on the set of that movie. Not really surprised. Living the zef dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
2 strange tweets have appeared (retweeted by the @aphextwin twitter account)

https://twitter.com/noyzelab/status/530100686810128384
https://twitter.com/noyzelab/status/530703478528544768

is this old news or something new to confuse us?

• Locked thread