Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Who is the contemporary Christopher Lee? James Earl Jones?

Christopher Lee's voice is just so perfect for so many characters. James Earl Jones, too. I kind of feel like Benedictus Comberscratch got close with Smaug. And I think Lee Pace sounds pretty cool as Ronan and Thranduil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Why are people acting as if Captain Marvel will be a cosmic adventure? I think a earth based movie where she's going up against Moonstone or Dr Minerva or something like that is more likely.

If I was Kevin Fiege, I'd have Carol show up as Major Danvers in Civil War in some way. She was a big supporter of Tony in the comics, though she's more of a Team Cap kinda girl. Something will happen to give her powers, and there we go.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Why are people acting as if Captain Marvel will be a cosmic adventure? I think a earth based movie where she's going up against Moonstone or Dr Minerva or something like that is more likely.

If I was Kevin Fiege, I'd have Carol show up as Major Danvers in Civil War in some way. She was a big supporter of Tony in the comics, though she's more of a Team Cap kinda girl. Something will happen to give her powers, and there we go.

My hunch based on the evidence is because it's between Infinity War movies. My hunch based on my gut/self interest is that that's probably more interesting than the military story.

Edit: also, she seemed pretty unambiguously pro Stark during the civil war comics

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 31, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Feige said that the success of Guardians was partly responsible for Captain Marvel happening, and that she was going to be the strongest hero on Earth or away from it. The implication was that the movie is going to be cosmic in scope. It wouldn't surprise me that with her being tied to the Guardians in the comics that they'll have some of them show up in her film too.

But yeah, it seems it's going to be heavily space-based.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It seems like Guardians 2 can get more into the Kree and their society, and that can set up both Captain Marvel and The Inhumans, as well as setting the cosmic tone for Infinity War.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Out of all the announced movies, Ant Man and The Inhumans feel the most awkward right now. I'm not sure they would even be making Ant Man if they knew Edgar Wright was going to disagree with their plan.

The Inhumans is just hard to imagine translating to film without some heavy tweaking. Even in a post-Guardians world I'm still having some trouble imagining this film. I haven't read any of the most recent stuff though since I suffer from Marvel Unlimiteditis

Seeing Black Bolt scream is going to be amazing, though. And I'd really be interesting in the Illuminati forming but Reed Richards seems so fundamental to that team, dammit

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Seeing Black Bolt scream is going to be amazing, though. And I'd really be interesting in the Illuminati forming but Reed Richards seems so fundamental to that team, dammit

Illuminati on screen would be amazing, especially if they adapted the 'Everything dies' story arc.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Out of all the announced movies, Ant Man and The Inhumans feel the most awkward right now. I'm not sure they would even be making Ant Man if they knew Edgar Wright was going to disagree with their plan.

The Inhumans is just hard to imagine translating to film without some heavy tweaking. Even in a post-Guardians world I'm still having some trouble imagining this film. I haven't read any of the most recent stuff though since I suffer from Marvel Unlimiteditis

I'm skeptical about how big guy with goat legs, martial artist with giant egg-head, and scaly fish guy are going to come across, but they made Groot and Rocket Raccoon into icons, so who knows? Aside from Black Bolt, Medusa, Lockjaw, and what will surely be a fun, scenery-chewing Maximus the Mad, the Inhumans just don't seem cinematic to me at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone thought of maybe Christoph Walz for Doctor Strange?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Edit: also, she seemed pretty unambiguously pro Stark during the civil war comics

She was on the side of the government by default, but she wasn't Pro-Stark by any means.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

greatn posted:

Anyone thought of maybe Christoph Walz for Doctor Strange?
His accent is a bit strong.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

She was on the side of the government by default, but she wasn't Pro-Stark by any means.

What makes you think that? I haven't read every Civil War tie-in (:barf:) but she seemed like one of the most dedicated supporters of the registration act. She was involved in hunting unregistered heroes, leading an initiative team, etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Illuminati on screen would be amazing, especially if they adapted the 'Everything dies' story arc.

I don't know, a movie all about moral compromise where the heroes situations get bleaker and bleaker and the day isn't saved via punching doesn't sound like a good movie (also the movie would have to be like 3 movies to fit the pacing of the arc ba dum tsssh)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What makes you think that? I haven't read every Civil War tie-in (:barf:) but she seemed like one of the most dedicated supporters of the registration act. She was involved in hunting unregistered heroes, leading an initiative team, etc.

Yeah, because she's a soldier and she was following orders. Nazi comparisons aside, in Mighty Avengers where she lead that team, she's shown to be really disapproving of how Stark personally is acting and the way things are going even if she isn't willing to go rogue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's just Dan Slott throwing another tantrum about the pro-reg side and completely ignoring other people's writing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember someone saying that the Inhumans movie will be like Game of Thrones.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Someone post the panel of Carol right hooking Tony on live TV because he's being an idiot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MSJ posted:

Black Bolt dies in the first ten minutes?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I guess "unambiguously pro stark" is not true. After reviewing some of the issues, she seems to bounce around from being gun ho and kind of cruel (her own book and the Arachne story) to having doubts, depending on the timing and the writer. Seems like editorial didn't really have a consistent handle on the characterization during that event, but I'd still call her one of the strongest supporters of the pro-registration side.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 31, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Seeing Black Bolt scream is going to be amazing, though.

I am excited and will totally love it but a tiny part of me is going to be disappointed if it doesn't actually kill a few old people in IMAX theatres.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I don't think Inhumans will be that hard to put to film; basically you just have the X-Men, only their mutation is an enforced part of their messed up society, so the movie is primarily about internal politics and strife rather than how the world views them. And then throw in some more abstract and freakier powers/forms than you'd usually see on film, have Maximus as the villain. I don't know that it's quite Game of Thrones, but it'd be cool if it basically didn't involve the human world at all, and was just the equvialent of the Asgard parts of Thor with a more Lynchian tone.

Of course they're probably not going to tackle the whole slavery issue, but there's plenty of things they could do to make it more than just an X-Men ersatz.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess "unambiguously pro stark" is not true. After reviewing some of the issues, she seems to bounce around from being gun ho and kind of cruel (her own book and the Arachne story) to having doubts, depending on the timing and the writer. Seems like editorial didn't really have a consistent handle on the characterization during that event, but I'd still call her one of the strongest supporters of the pro-registration side.

Fortunately the movie version will have a reasonable issue to take a hard line about without a terribly contrived kickoff event and the characters will (probably, hopefully) remain consistent through the duration of the ideological conflict.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know if this was posted already. Some interesting Q&A with Feige after the event:
http://screenrant.com/marvel-phase-3-kevin-feige-interview-civil-war/

It's a little bit spoilery so just in case

quote:

Black Panther: With Black Panther, what our little fun dance at the end was meant to signify, and I’ll just clarify, he is definitely a big part in Civil War. We will meet him for the first time in Civil War, in costume.

quote:

Inhumans: Q: My favorite comic book series ever when I was growing up was when the Fantastic Four discovered the Inhumans, obviously no Fantastic Four in this upcoming one but can you say anything about how you’re raiding the Inhumans world?

A: Well obviously I know a lot about the Inhumans, where they fit into the universe, you may find out sooner than you’re expecting, frankly. I already mentioned in the presentation that there are seeds leading to Black Panther, leading to Wakanda, starting very very soon in things you’ve already seen and will see soon. Likewise with Inhumans, there may be Easter Eggs starting before you know it. Will those include the Fantastic Four? No. They will be introduced as they exist with Marvel Studios.

Maybe Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are related to the Inhumans somehow?

quote:

Civil War: Q: You talked a little bit about Civil War, the comic book story line deals with secret identities but there really aren’t that many secret identities in the cinematic universe and you don’t have Spider-Man, so how are you going to do Civil War?

A: I don’t want to give too much away but needless to say, the generalities of the acts are the same. Something happens, perhaps it’s cumulative from things that have happened in other movies leading up to this film, it’s made the governments of the world say, “We need to have some oversight on these guys, they need to report to somebody,” so it falls a little more under that umbrella versus “Take off your mask.” It’s not about the secret identity thing as much as it is about who reports to who and who can agree to an oversight committee because as of now in Avengers 2 there is no more Security Council, there is no more SHIELD, Stark is paying for it, Captain America is running it, and things occur that make the government begin to question that.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 31, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That's just Dan Slott throwing another tantrum about the pro-reg side and completely ignoring other people's writing.

Dan Slott must have great influence indeed to have hold over how characters are written in runs that he didn't have anything to do with.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The MSJ posted:

Sean Bean for Black Bolt?

I'm actually really interested for the Inhumans, especially if it is used to tie the Guardians to Earth more, just because of Kree fuckery.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If they can't use Spider-man for Civil War, what if they use Daredevil in his place?

Both are street-level superheroes, have some similar backstories, rogues, abilities and what not.

Also, Daredevil is a character who has had his secret identity blown at some point or another anyway. Turn it into Matt thinking, "This will be GREAT!" only to have everything turn to poo poo right afterwards, destroying his life in the process post-Civil War could be a way to take it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Benedict Cumberbatch for Doctor Strange

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh hey, another clip appears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w75cwgEjnQ4

JediTalentAgent posted:

If they can't use Spider-man for Civil War, what if they use Daredevil in his place?

Both are street-level superheroes, have some similar backstories, rogues, abilities and what not.

Also, Daredevil is a character who has had his secret identity blown at some point or another anyway. Turn it into Matt thinking, "This will be GREAT!" only to have everything turn to poo poo right afterwards, destroying his life in the process post-Civil War could be a way to take it.

MCU Civil War isn't going to be about Secret Identities. It's about a world where Ultron happens, and people start to wonder who should have the keys to this strange world of superpowers and heroes.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 31, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who are Black Panther's and Ms/Cap Marvel's traditional villains? Who would they go up against in the movies? I assume the Inhumans bad guy will be some Maximus related thing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Who are Black Panther's and Ms/Cap Marvel's traditional villains?
Racism and misogyny.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Who are Black Panther's and Ms/Cap Marvel's traditional villains? Who would they go up against in the movies? I assume the Inhumans bad guy will be some Maximus related thing.

Well, depending on what the hell they do with Capt. Marvel's origins, Yon-Rogg could be the villain, and they could then tie it into Guardians and such. Moonstone has been her main villain more recently, but I don't think that would make a very compelling film in all honesty. We've got enough "dark" versions of the hero as villains. Also taking ANY cues from Brian Reed's garbage run would do more damage than anything.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 31, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Captain Marvel/Black Panther villains will just be mirror versions of themselves. Plus most of Carol's actual enemies are X-characters so they won't be using them.

Dexo posted:

MCU Civil War isn't going to be about Secret Identities. It's about a world where Ultron happens, and people start to wonder who should have the keys to this strange world of superpowers and heroes.

Which is going to be interesting to see how they manage to balance it given that neither Tony or Steve should be pro-Registration with their history. Nor should anybody be trusting Tony "I've caused international incidents and accidentally helped create a murderous robot that tried to take over the world".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Obviously Captain Marvel will be an adaption of Avengers #200.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Obviously Captain Marvel will be an adaption of Avengers #200.

Is that the rape one?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Is that the rape one?

Yep aka the issue that even Chris Claremont thought went too far. Avengers Annual 10 and Rogue were created to solve that issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the villain will be revealed as.....Jim Shooter!!!!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

At least one of Black Panther's villains will probably be Klaw, judging by the clues (klews?) in what we know about Avengers 2. He's not really a mirror type. He steals vibranium from Wakanda to power his sound weapons and eventually turns into "solid sound" and becomes an immortal Living Laser type of dude.

As for other goons, there is Killmonger who is a revolutionary Wakandan. Reverend Achebe is an insane manipulator from a border nation with a thing for T'Challa. M'Baku ("Man-ape" :rolleyes:) is another mirror type who worships the rival gorilla god instead of the black panther. He would probably look terrifying in live action.

If you can obtain them or have Marvel Unlimited, I highly recommend checking out Christopher Priest's Black Panther run. It's been a while but I recall that being really good, especially for that bleak era for Marvel. I also think Hickman writes him well in his New Avengers.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 31, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I will laugh my rear end off if we get an unmodified version of the Man-Ape on the silver screen.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fozzy fosbourne posted:

At least one of Black Panther's villains will probably be Klaw, judging by the clues (klews?) in what we know about Avengers 2. He's not really a mirror type. He steals vibranium from Wakanda to power his sound weapons and eventually turns into "solid sound" and becomes an immortal Living Laser type of dude.

As for other goons, there is Killmonger who is a revolutionary Wakandan. Reverend Achebe is an insane manipulator from a border nation with a thing for T'Challa. M'Baku ("Man-ape" :rolleyes:) is another mirror type who worships the rival gorilla god instead of the black panther. He would probably look terrifying in live action.

If you can obtain them or have Marvel Unlimited, I highly recommend checking out Christopher Priest's Black Panther run. It's been a while but I recall that being really good, especially for that bleak era for Marvel. I also think Hickman writes him well in his New Avengers.

Man-Ape was kind of a weird chump villain for a long time, but Priest managed to turn him into a pretty respectable and cool bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Waterhaul posted:

Which is going to be interesting to see how they manage to balance it given that neither Tony or Steve should be pro-Registration with their history. Nor should anybody be trusting Tony "I've caused international incidents and accidentally helped create a murderous robot that tried to take over the world".

It is neat that the problems caused in Iron Man 3, The Winter Soldier to an extent, and then Ultron are the result of Tony Stark. After the Civil War stuff happens, it would make a lot of sense for Tony to just be like "I gently caress up everything, I'm out."

• Locked thread