Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

1 - Requirements are low
2 - 1080P and HIGHER
3 - 60FPS
4 - Customizable controls

Anime not-nazi shooting in a strategy game has never been that good.

Hm, well I think I'm on board then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I hope the CANVAS engine turns out well on PC :ohdear: initial feedback seems to suggest that it's turned out to be a good port though, which eases my mind a little.
With all this talk of Trails in the Sky 2, I should probably get around to picking that game up again and finishing it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder why they chose Valkyria Chronicles? I doubt they'd port 2 or 3 to the PC given that they were more limited PSP games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

oblomov posted:

Well, maybe Sega will go HD route for 2 & 3 (and translate 3) and bring them to the PC if VC1 sells well.

They won't, but it's a nice dream and VC is worth buying anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

They won't, but it's a nice dream and VC is worth buying anyway.

My only real complaint is how asinine the ranking system is. If you play it tactically and move your guys and use all your classes, you get bad rankings. If you pour all your moves into Scouts and charge for the "finish line", you do well. It would be nice if modders could get ahold of stuff and change things like that but I doubt it'd even be possible. Remove the 20 turn limit maybe.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
Does VC get more difficult or require better strategies as the game progresses? I watched some early segments of a Lets Play because the game sounds good, but the guy could walk straight up to people and shoot them point blank until they died. He barely lost health but the enemies got destroyed in a few shots.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SolitarySolidarity posted:

Does VC get more difficult or require better strategies as the game progresses? I watched some early segments of a Lets Play because the game sounds good, but the guy could walk straight up to people and shoot them point blank until they died. He barely lost health but the enemies got destroyed in a few shots.

Yes, late game enemies will gently caress you up if you're not careful. The game can be quite challenging assuming you don't obsessively reload every time you miss a shot or something.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

SolitarySolidarity posted:

You might take more damage, but there's only a couple of missions where scout rush doesn't work, especially once Alicia gets her super ability. There's one regular map where it doesn't work for reasons, but it has its own dumb way it can be cheesed. The rest where scout rush doesn't really work are boss battles, one of which can also be cheesed by just waiting a couple of turns from the start, then using the third turn to disable the gimmick, improve attack order, then sending two shocktroopers and a scout that all link with each other and shooting the boss in the face until you win.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That said, while you can do that, it's boring and unsatisfying. The game works much better as a slow and methodical game, so much that I feel it was designed as such. I don't understand why they base ranking off speed alone.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Does your ranking actually matter, or is it something you can safely ignore if you don't care about score and such?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It'll earn you more cash? But cash is fundamentally useless because if you really want to grind cash there's an easy training map you can one-round clear over and over.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

dmboogie posted:

Does your ranking actually matter, or is it something you can safely ignore if you don't care about score and such?

A better ranking will give you more experience and money but that's it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also one thing people ignore is that while scout rushing is the easiest way to get an A, outside of like one or two maps if you play well you can get an A while simultaneously more or less clearing the map

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. Maybe I've just outgrown RPGs but here goes,

I haven't played a good RPG in a long time. I played Bravely Default but it got a bit too grindy. I tried Tales of Grace(I think) but I had a hard time keeping track of what was going on in battles. Final Fantasy has kind of ruined itself for me with 13. Right now all I've got is PC\PS3\3DS so I'm limited but I'd love to find a new RPG to play.

Recommendations? I'm usually partial to JRPG to OK with anything.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I haven't played a good RPG in a long time. I played Bravely Default but it got a bit too grindy. I tried Tales of Grace(I think) but I had a hard time keeping track of what was going on in battles. Final Fantasy has kind of ruined itself for me with 13. Right now all I've got is PC\PS3\3DS so I'm limited but I'd love to find a new RPG to play.

Tales of Graces is the worst Tales game for a newcomer to the series so I'd give Tales of Xillia a try before writing it off. Other than that the aforementioned Valkyria Chronicles is great and worth a look.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Irritated Goat posted:

Final Fantasy has kind of ruined itself for me with 13.

Do you mean you won't play the earlier ones? Because for all intents and purposes, each FF number is basically a comlpetely separate JPRG with the same main title.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

It really depends on what you want.

There's the recent games in Atelier series if you enjoy item-crafting systems alongside casts of fun and interesting characters, especially with the Dusk games(Ayesha/Escha&Logy) being fantastic games all around and adding more user-friendly features to the franchise.

If you want a SRPG that requires you to make smart decisions, know it's gameplay systems, and general punishes stupid/poorly thought out plans, there's the recent Natural Doctrine, although it's light on plot. Alternatively, if you are in a SRPG mood, but don't want one that's quite as punishing, you could take a look at Fire Emblem: Awakening if you missed it previously.

If you want some action-based combat, there's the other Tales games (Xillia 1/2) which you could watch videos of to see if it would be less chaotic for you to actually play. I'd put Lightning Returns in here as well, but you were soured by the original, although it does take the piss out of itself during a lot of the side-quests, and the main plot is "enjoyable" if you can laugh at how ridiculous the whole thing has become.

For a traditional, fun JRPG with a neat gimmick, there's Radiant Historia if you missed it previously.

If none of these catch your interest, is there anything specific you like with your RPGs that might help out narrowing suggestions?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Graces is definitely the most fast-paced of the Tales games. Abyss on 3DS is a lot slower, and Xillia on PS3 is a bit slower and has a side-view camera instead of the semi top-down one of Graces.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

Do you mean you won't play the earlier ones? Because for all intents and purposes, each FF number is basically a comlpetely separate JPRG with the same main title.
Yeah, I don't know what disliking 13 (a.k.a. the majority opinion) has to do with playing the other FFs - X even has a HD remake and everything!

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

also one thing people ignore is that while scout rushing is the easiest way to get an A, outside of like one or two maps if you play well you can get an A while simultaneously more or less clearing the map

Plus you can replay missions if you really want Rank A everywhere with Scout Rush after a normal by-the-book clear. Plus, you can always grind in couple of easy maps as much as you want. It's really not an issue. Also, who knows, modders may help here. Buy the GAME!

Irritated Goat posted:

Graces has a terrible story but good crafting and best Tales Battle System so far, IMO. If you have X360 or know Japanese play Vesperia instead.

Doflamingo posted:

Tales of Graces is the worst Tales game for a newcomer to the series so I'd give Tales of Xillia a try before writing it off. Other than that the aforementioned Valkyria Chronicles is great and worth a look.

Xillia is not bad but it's a bit bland, IMO, but still worth it for the $. How about Trails in the Sky on Steam? It's pretty darn good.

Since you have 3DS, what about SMT IV if you are looking for some tough dungeon crawling with a good story? For RPGs, how about

PC:

- Dragon Age Origins (the 1st one, on PC, with Mods)? It's very good (don't get the sequel for more then $5).
- Mass Effect 1 (and the two shooter sequels) on PC.
- Right now Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Vegas are selling for pennies on Steam with all the DLCs. These are very good games... with Mods (note the pattern here :P).
- Skyrim can be very good if you mod the heck out of it.
- Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition is very good with improved UI, zooming and supports most good mods.
- Deus Ex Human Revolution - remember the Original? This one is almost as good.
- Divinity Original Sin - would you like to throw a barrel of oil at the zombies and then light everything on fire? Back to the roots RPG, and an excellent game.
- Might and Magic X - for some classic dungeon crawling
- Shadowrun Dragonfall standalone - darn good RPG
- Kingdoms of Amalur - Single player MMO. I enjoyed the first 30 hours (then I got bored).
- Diablo 3 plus expansion - scratches that ARPG looting itch
- Dark Souls 1 and 2 - if you like to die... a lot

PS3:
There are so many games, it's hard to come up to the list.
- How about Yakuza 3 and 4? They are basically Beat'm Up/ARPGs with a great story and more manliness then the rest of PS3 lineup put together.
- Folklore is an interesting twist on RPGs, and it's pretty great (a lot of summoning, ARPG action).
- Above Mentioned Xillia
- Persona 4, Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Raidou 2 - basically all Atlus SMT and Persona PS3 classics. You really can't miss here. I love all these games. Note, that P3/P4 have Vita updated version (debatable in case of P3 as it's a PSP game and has drawbacks).
- Nier - great, great story, gameplay has issues, totally worth it
- Atelier - if you like light story and heavy crafting. Start with Ayesha, it starts new trilogy.
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - those old feels
- Demon Souls - hard core start to Souls trilogy (I like it better then sequels for certain things)
- Dark Souls 1 and 2
- Dragon's Dogma - very cool combat, day and night cycles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

A better ranking will give you more experience and money but that's it.

You also get better equipment as a reward. You can kinda balance this with map-clearing but it's dumb and pointless that it's even a thing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

oblomov posted:

Plus you can replay missions if you really want Rank A everywhere with Scout Rush after a normal by-the-book clear. Plus, you can always grind in couple of easy maps as much as you want. It's really not an issue. Also, who knows, modders may help here. Buy the GAME!

Graces has a terrible story but good crafting and best Tales Battle System so far, IMO. If you have X360 or know Japanese play Vesperia instead.

Xillia is not bad but it's a bit bland, IMO, but still worth it for the $. How about Trails in the Sky on Steam? It's pretty darn good.

Trails in the Sky like completely revitalized my enjoyment of jrpg's. Unfortunately I got about 15-20 hours into it before it just started crashing constantly on me. Apparently it's not that common, but can happen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I'll throw out a personal cult favorite of mine for the PC: The Spirit Engine 2, which is also completely free. It's got an intricate combat system without a huge number of moving parts to keep track of (or, to put it another way, it's simple without being mindless) and a good story attached to it. Be sure to read the manual, though, since there's really very few games out there I could compare the combat to except maybe FFX-2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Trails in the Sky like completely revitalized my enjoyment of jrpg's. Unfortunately I got about 15-20 hours into it before it just started crashing constantly on me. Apparently it's not that common, but can happen.

was this back when it first came out? cause they patched the game a lot since then, i'd give it a try if so. If not that sucks

you could also emulate the psp version i bet

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Cake Attack posted:

was this back when it first came out? cause they patched the game a lot since then, i'd give it a try if so. If not that sucks

you could also emulate the psp version i bet

I tried it about a month ago and it was the same thing, though it was the same save and I'm hesitant to go another 15-20 hours to find out if it is the save or not. Never thought of emulating it, ppsspp does run like a dream.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you do end up doing that i can probably give you a save within an hour or so of where you were so you don't need to play the whole game again

same with the pc version i bet, actually

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Leper Residue posted:

I tried it about a month ago and it was the same thing, though it was the same save and I'm hesitant to go another 15-20 hours to find out if it is the save or not.

FYI, they patched the hell out of the game. I haven't had a crash with around 45 hours of gameplay. You should try to load a save a bit before the crash and see if it helps. Don't emulate it, changes on PC versions are worth it.

ImpAtom posted:

You also get better equipment as a reward. You can kinda balance this with map-clearing but it's dumb and pointless that it's even a thing.

Yes, it is dumb, but the game is still good and you can avoid most of the BS if you either replay the map with scout rush or go to an easy map and grind a bit (not much grinding is needed to finish the game really). It's such a good game and the ranking issue should not deter anyone on picking up the PC port which is $15 for 40+ hour game.

So to summarize: Get VC, TitS, SMT IV and Nocturne, P4 and P3FES, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Dues Ex, DAO, ME1, FFX/X-2 HD, BG2 EE, and Nier (just to be different). Almost forgot about another great handheld SRPG, namely Fire Emblem Awakening. Plus Persona 4Q is out in Nov. Get MMX since it's an awesome dungeon crawling just to round off the list.

Most of these games you can pick up on the cheap. FE:A will not be cheap, neither will P4Q (one is Nintendo game and the other one is just coming out). Btw, FFXIII is much more palatable on PC due to a lot better JPN voice direction. It's still not a particularly good game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I never really worried about the ranks in VC1 (other than grinding on one late game map that you could do in one turn with Alicia), and luckily with VC3 they changed it so that better ranks just nets you more money and experience.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Don't play Persona Q before p3 and 4. It is a total fanservice wank and without knowing any of the characters it will be completely lost on you.

If you want to play an open world RPG, play Skyrim and New Vegas.

If you want to play a Bioware game, Dragon Age Origins and the first two Mass Effects are fun. Anything before that is dated, anything after is a yawning chasm of pain.

If you want to play a story heavy RPG play Persona 4 and maybe 3 as well as Trails in the Sky.

If you want to play a combination story and system RPG play Fire Emblem Awakening, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Radiant Historia or Deus Ex Human Revolution.

If you want to play a system heavy RPG reevaluate your poor life choices play Final Fantasy 5 or Nocturne.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Authorman posted:

If you want to play a Bioware game, Dragon Age Origins and the first two Mass Effects are fun. Anything before that is dated, anything after is a yawning chasm of pain.

I completely disagree with this statement. Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made. I would easily put it in top 10 RPG list of all times. While certain things will require a bit of research (thac0 and spell systems), the game is absolutely worth playing. Enhanced Edition lets you forego messing with various widescreen/interface mods and you can still install rule mods from gibberlings.

As a matter effect, I would recommend this game ahead of pretty much any WRPGs, it's that good. Just read up summary of BG1 events (BG1 and AD&D 2 low level combat is a bit tough on newcomers). It's in top 5 to top 10 of pretty much any "Best RPGs of All Times" list. Now, Icewind Dale EE just released is a bit of a different beast and I'd probably say it's targeted to those who love Infinity Engine games.

Hah, forgot about another gem. Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines is a top class RPG with unofficial patch installed. It's a brilliant game and another must play on PCs. Dialogue in this one is simply excellent (Nosferatu and Malkevian should be left to 2nd play through).

Lastly, completely forgot about Chrono Trigger. That game needs to be played and you can pick up the "definitive" DS version fairly inexpensively.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How has nobody mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics yet?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I was referring to Kotor and Jade Empire when I said that, but still Baldur's Gate and all the other infinity engine games are all super dated too. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who didn't already play them as a kid or people who have a tolerance to that kind of game. Heck I kickstarted Wasteland 2 based on liking the new Fallout games, played it for an hour and never wanted to touch it again, so I don't even have tolerance for infinityesque engine games that are coming out today.

Bloodlines does own though. Everyone says to play Malkavian after your first run but you don't have to, it's not that special.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kotor1 and 2 w/ restoration mod and Jade Empire are good games. Jade Empire is probably the unsung gem of Bioware.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rascyc posted:

Kotor1 and 2 w/ restoration mod and Jade Empire are good games. Jade Empire is probably the unsung gem of Bioware.

It's ridiculously easy to trivialise the combat, but yeah. I keep hoping for a sequel that's never going to happen.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
edit: wrong thread

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Sakurazuka posted:

It's ridiculously easy to trivialise the combat, but yeah. I keep hoping for a sequel that's never going to happen.

I love all three of these games (Kotor 1 and 2 with mods, especially 2), and I think all three are great games still and aged very well. You can play around with graphics settings if you have a decent video card and some tools as well (nvidia inspector and gedosato, widescreen utils, borderless widescreen, etc...). These are great games and are definitely worth playing. I am more partial to Kotor 1 and 2 myself, but Jade Empire is pretty great as well.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

oblomov posted:

I love all three of these games (Kotor 1 and 2 with mods, especially 2), and I think all three are great games still and aged very well. You can play around with graphics settings if you have a decent video card and some tools as well (nvidia inspector and gedosato, widescreen utils, borderless widescreen, etc...). These are great games and are definitely worth playing. I am more partial to Kotor 1 and 2 myself, but Jade Empire is pretty great as well.

Tell me about must-have mods for Kotor 1 & 2?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is Grandia any good? I played it a bit but it was so basic 90's anime that I got bored pretty quick.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Grandia any good? I played it a bit but it was so basic 90's anime that I got bored pretty quick.

its good but you're gonna get bored with it as an adult if you did as a kid/teen

i beat 2 and 3 and they were fun but i've never had the urge to revisit them because they're pretty generic outside of battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

The plot and characters in the Grandia games were never anything special, but that battle system... :love: