Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

e-readers are freakin retarded because they always have terrible PDF support

i paid over a hundred bucks for this thing, your programmers should be able to figure out basic smart cropping/page splitting functions, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

i paid over a hundred bucks for this thing, your programmers should be able to figure out basic cropping/page splitting functions, gently caress you

my sony one from four years ago does this fine

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

i paid over a hundred bucks for this thing, your programmers should be able to figure out basic smart cropping/page splitting functions, gently caress you

I read books.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Sir John Feelgood posted:

why dont i just read books on an atm machine

Because I need to get some cash, Poindexter!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I own a lot of books and I read a lot of books. However, I don't re-read that many books, yet I have a hard time getting rid of books so my kindle helps me from book hoarding. So now I just own fancy books and books I re-read or books that have sentimental value, which is still a lot of books. Also, I could never decide on just one book to take when I travel and I would load up my luggage with half a dozen books while now I just take my reader. Plus it's not just for books, like I'm literally posting from my kindle right now and it's got a little add on keyboard for when I want to write on the beach or something and I don't feel like lugging my netbook out.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i like kindle books bc they're like 1/3–1/2 the price of paper ones

Windows 98 posted:

Just sayin https://www.thriftbooks.com has books for like 95% off in fine shape. Delivery is a bit slow but you can't beat the prices. Hth

lol perfect

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry you hate convenience and the environment, OP.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

amuayse posted:

Thank god for #bookz

the only reason to even go to undernet anymore, kinda weird that it's still around actually

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I own a lot of books and I read a lot of books. However, I don't re-read that many books, yet I have a hard time getting rid of books so my kindle helps me from book hoarding. So now I just own fancy books and books I re-read or books that have sentimental value, which is still a lot of books. Also, I could never decide on just one book to take when I travel and I would load up my luggage with half a dozen books while now I just take my reader. Plus it's not just for books, like I'm literally posting from my kindle right now and it's got a little add on keyboard for when I want to write on the beach or something and I don't feel like lugging my netbook out.

Why don't you re-read books? I guarantee if you open them to a random
Page you might remember what's going on but you'll notice more details

Sometimes I open books and I've already read them and I still enjoy them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Don Tacorleone posted:

Why don't you re-read books?

I actually understand that. Knowing all the mystery/plot threads/etc while you have a bunch of new stuff to read means you never feel compelled to re-read things. Even if you pick-up more detail the second time, it's not warranted enough compared to reading something entirely new that's been on the backlog.

I don't re-watch TV shows or movies either. Of course in my olding age, I'm starting to forget the details of a lot of movies so it makes going back and re-watching poo poo a lot more fun. Gunna own when I'm 70 and can just sit there re-watching the same movie on loop.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Cymoril posted:

Sorry you hate convenience and the environment, OP.

The environment loves the mining of rare minerals by child slaves and the processing of these in factories that black out the sun with smog, and then the assembly, distribution, marketing and subsequent use of these devices that require untold amounts of electricity to operate

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

the only reason to even go to undernet anymore, kinda weird that it's still around actually

bookzz.org

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
ereaders own because of :filez:

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Just run the kindle fire emulator on a cheap 50 dollar chinese tablet, that has a weird version of droid on it.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Beef Turret posted:

The environment loves the mining of rare minerals by child slaves and the processing of these in factories that black out the sun with smog, and then the assembly, distribution, marketing and subsequent use of these devices that require untold amounts of electricity to operate
owned

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

Maybe if there was a way to mine asteroids and stuff. Then again the mental image of 12 years in spacesuits using plasma cutters and lances on an asteroid is pretty funny.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Why don't you re-read books? I guarantee if you open them to a random
Page you might remember what's going on but you'll notice more details

Sometimes I open books and I've already read them and I still enjoy them

I do re-read some books. Usually fiction, books I have a sentimental connection to, but since I mostly read non-fiction I don't feel the draw to revisit most books. There are just so many books I haven't read and unless I've somehow forgotten a big portion of the book or the content was over my head the first time I won't re-read a book over reading a new book most of the time.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Beef Turret posted:

making physical books also requires the expenditure of energy

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mein Eyes! posted:

making physical books also requires the expenditure of energy
His point was that paper is not a material we're putting a strain on the environment producing right now, the materials that go into making electronics though not so much.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

His point was that paper is not a material we're putting a strain on the environment producing right now, the materials that go into making electronics though not so much.

High quality paper just costs to much these days. With your fancy water marks and your fancy...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the ereader serves a legit purpose
complain about my xbox 360 or something

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

the ereader serves a legit purpose
complain about my xbox 360 or something
they called the second xbox the xbox three hundred and sixty.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
theyre on a roll

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Sir John Feelgood posted:

they called the second xbox the xbox three hundred and sixty.

Xbox circle 1.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
With an ereader you can read in bed lying on your side using one hand to flip the pages comfortably, something unfeasible with a "meatspace" book

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

With an ereader you can read in bed lying on your side using one hand to flip the pages comfortably, something unfeasible with a "meatspace" book

You don't even have a queen sized bed? you live in a submarine or something?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

SpeedGem posted:

You don't even have a queen sized bed? you live in a submarine or something?

Uncomfortable, arms get tired:

Uncomfortable, retarded, etc:

Comfortable and good, arms dont need to be held up at any point:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

yes
yes
no

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

The progression of the womans arms is art, from fit to fat.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
The kindle is an excellent device

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
If you have one of those sleep covers you dont even need to support the ereader on the bed, just press buttan receive words until you get tired

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

If you have one of those sleep covers you dont even need to support the ereader on the bed, just press buttan receive words until you get tired

Turning pages burned a calorie, time to eat a box of Twinkies.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

SpeedGem posted:

The progression of the womans arms is art, from fit to fat.
lol

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Beef Turret posted:

drat, when our species can't even muster the energy to hold a book.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
I like my local library

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThisGuy posted:

I like my local library

libraries own since it's book piracy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

libraries own since it's book piracy.

imagine if the government ran a video/game center where you could walk in and grab a dvd from a new movie/game for 3 weeks for free :wth:

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Xaris posted:

imagine if the government ran a video/game center where you could walk in and grab a dvd from a new movie/game for 3 weeks for free :wth:

it's called usenet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SpeedGem posted:

it's called usenet

it's not government ran tho. my isp gutted my usenet access a couple years back too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

These are called libraries dog

• Locked thread