Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unlucky7 posted:

Anything that should make me wary about the Black Glove kickstarter? It seems interesting to me at least.

It sounds like the ultimate artsy fartsy non-game, that you'll blow through in a few minutes and then probably never play again.

Like The Stanley Parable. Cool poo poo, very artistic, but... not exactly a game?

But otherwise it looks super neato, I do agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Drifter posted:

"roster job management like Final Fantasy Tactics". Seems boring to me, but if that's your thing... :shrug:

I know that it's not the coolest thing in the world, but questing on a node based map and job management were things that I actually did enjoy in Tactics that are missing from other tactical battle games like Kings Bounty. Maybe for good reason. This is mostly nostalgia talking I'm sure, and I don't know how well those mechanics will do in the absence of the combat. It might turn out to be good, though.

edit: This reminded me that Blackguards has these things and I didn't finish it. I guess I've got something to play this weekend.

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 29, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Black Glove doesn't look fun.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I don't know why indie developers think games have to not be games to have a message or depth or something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It really looks like a game made by an art team that really don't understand how to make a game engaging. Like for example if the gameplay was exploring a weird inter-dimensional nightclub interacting with the strange characters there that would be pretty neat and I would probably back it. Playing the same arcade game over and over again is not engaging.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 30, 2014

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So I really like the look of Laser Fury

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1860826466/laser-fury

quote:

Laser Fury is a 1 - 4 player online/local Action RPG Brawler. Inspired by the likes of Diablo 2, Ninja Gaiden, and PSO. Designed with fast paced and explosive combat paired with hordes of enemies and dynamic bosses. A diverse skill tree system, along with a high quality pixel art style. Online co-op is a massive focus for us. We have been building this from the start with seamless online play in mind. In fact, all of the gameplay in the trailer above was recorded over online play!

The thing is (and maybe I am just old here) but I think it looks more like a Secret of Mana would have been a better inspired by instead of Diablo 2.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hehe, I came to post about Laser Fury. Yeah it seems really cool.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

D_W posted:

Hehe, I came to post about Laser Fury. Yeah it seems really cool.

Sadly I don't think they will make their goal unless they release some sort of alpha/prototype to prove it actually works as it does in the video.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Undertale put out an update with a neato song.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/1034752

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Have any beta backers for That Which Sleeps been contacted by KDG for the beta forums that were supposed to be available by now? I haven't heard anything and I'm worried that I'm missing something.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

1stGear posted:

Have any beta backers for That Which Sleeps been contacted by KDG for the beta forums that were supposed to be available by now? I haven't heard anything and I'm worried that I'm missing something.

There's been some kind of delay on Kickstarter's end, KDG doesn't have the finalized list of backers yet. They're waiting on that before opening the forums.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I don't know why indie developers think games have to not be games to have a message or depth or something.

Metal Gear Solid taught me that nukes are really bad and we should feel bad for using them. As a child I would listen to Nastasha talk about it with that awesome accent of hers. Thanks Kojima!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Metal Gear Solid taught me that nukes are really bad and we should feel bad for using them. As a child I would listen to Nastasha talk about it with that awesome accent of hers. Thanks Kojima!

And it taught us that love can bloom, even on a battlefield :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Humerus posted:

And it taught us that love can bloom, even on a battlefield :allears:

between a man...and a cardboard box.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Mimetic posted:

I've grown wary of games that make their pitch by invoking the names of other games, but oh man, I'm a sucker for anything described as "like Final Fantasy Tactics". I'll have to keep an eye on it.

While I loved the job system in FFT the main thing that really drew me into the game was the setting/storyline and pretty much no other game of that style (even the sequels) have been able to recreate the way it feels.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Wezlar posted:

While I loved the job system in FFT the main thing that really drew me into the game was the setting/storyline and pretty much no other game of that style (even the sequels) have been able to recreate the way it feels.

I agree. FFT had a lot going for it besides just gameplay, and unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see it's like again.

The only games I can think of that were close were the Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle Franchises because of Yasumi Matsuno and all but that's it. And even Tactics Ogre as good as it was, still isn't quite the same. Maybe Unsung Guardians will be the sequel it deserves. It depends on how much control Matsuno actually has on the project. I've heard conflicting stuff regarding that and so I'm not super hopeful.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 31, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Boy, am I glad the Homestuck game/s doesn't/don't take place in Universe White, the ultimate goal of the comic and the setting of its final act. Because then Hussie would probably force the devs to sit on it until he finishes Homestuck.

Also, I wonder if his creation of a new development company had anything to do with the poor performance of The Odd Gentlemen's newest game.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lizard looks neat. It's on the NES! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1101008925/lizard

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
This is 8-bit retro I can get behind. Someone who is *actually* adhering to the limitations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
It also has a really rad soundtrack that you can already get!

https://rainwarrior.bandcamp.com/album/my-lizard-is-the-lizard-of-soundtrack

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BexGu posted:

So I really like the look of Laser Fury

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1860826466/laser-fury

The thing is (and maybe I am just old here) but I think it looks more like a Secret of Mana would have been a better inspired by instead of Diablo 2.

The image where the brawler reloads his shotgun fists looks awesome. Holding out for an Alpha or something though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Laser Fury makes me suspicious since most of the stuff on their kickstarter is obviously mock-ups, but they seem to have a working engine so uh, whatever I guess. Also the ranger has butt-cheek pants that are super noticeable once you realize they're there.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
I saw a RPS article about Concrete Jungle and found it extremely interesting. Describes itself as a city planner meets collectible card deck game. It doesn't seem the most complex game, but I do see potential for one more turn addictiveness.

The game has already been funded (had a low goal) and since there was no original stretch goals the developer made a simple poll for backers (which is completely leaning on a bigger game). Has a low entry of £5 and a demo promised at the end of the kickstarter campaign.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dervyn posted:

I saw a RPS article about Concrete Jungle and found it extremely interesting. Describes itself as a city planner meets collectible card deck game. It doesn't seem the most complex game, but I do see potential for one more turn addictiveness.

The game has already been funded (had a low goal) and since there was no original stretch goals the developer made a simple poll for backers (which is completely leaning on a bigger game). Has a low entry of £5 and a demo promised at the end of the kickstarter campaign.

The article also links to a free game this is a remake of. Personally, I didn't care for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is a dating game, but with a twist!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/94110993/asagao-academy-normal-boots-club

The twist is that you are dating Youtube gaming celebrities.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I have 5,000 subscribers on my YouTube channel, why am I not in that game? This is doubly bad because I am a pigeon and as we all know, pigeon dating sims are an established, refined genre. Definitely not going to back this unless they shift direction. Very disappointing.

I do like how all the characters look like someone buffed their cheeks to a mirrored sheen with a floor waxing machine or something.

On the one hand a free game looking for Kickstarter $ always seems like a bit of a stretch, but on the other hand if all these YouTubers advertise it on their channel, it should do pretty well, right?

NotAHero
Jul 29, 2006
-------
Well poo poo, Paradise Lost: First Contact just "separated" from their programmer. They say not to worry, but knowing how these things usually go, I don't anticipate seeing anything and it'll be a pleasant surprise if I do. :rolldice:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NotAHero posted:

Well poo poo, Paradise Lost: First Contact just "separated" from their programmer. They say not to worry, but knowing how these things usually go, I don't anticipate seeing anything and it'll be a pleasant surprise if I do. :rolldice:

I meant to post that and I forgot.

Yup. This is now in spades the most likely of the projects I backed to fail. Will be my first, if so. They talked vaguely about changing the "guts" of the game too.

This is not good. Not good at all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Brian Mitsoda / RPG Codex zombie CRPG Dead State has a release date set for December 4.

I've played the betas pretty extensively and honestly, I feel like it's less than the sum of its parts - The engine is awkward and dated, the square grid for combat is and always will be a poor choice, and there's a terrible absence of atmosphere, which I think is mainly a result of the systems never quite gelling the way they should and the incredibly slack pacing. Strangely enough it's like a latter-day Bioware RPG, in that you have long stretches of combat and scavenging, and all the character interaction goes on in the downtime between action, which feels like a missed opportunity for a horror game. What's most distressing is how inert the characters feel - they so rarely have anything of importance to say and so they become just collections of stats. As it is the game's main problem is pacing, since it seems like there's a lot of opportunity for interesting stuff going into the game but it's so ponderous, and you don't start seeing new people until several in-game days.

Maybe they'll pick up a lot of slack in the final release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
god drat that's a shame. This was a game that would always perk my interest whenever I'd hear about it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

No Gravitas posted:

I meant to post that and I forgot.

Yup. This is now in spades the most likely of the projects I backed to fail. Will be my first, if so. They talked vaguely about changing the "guts" of the game too.

This is not good. Not good at all.

Depending on how their original programmer did things and why they left, redoing the guts of the thing might actually be faster for a new programmer than trying to figure out their predecessor's code. Now, that's not saying it's a good thing, but it might be better than trying to work with whatever was left from the old guy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I have 5,000 subscribers on my YouTube channel, why am I not in that game? This is doubly bad because I am a pigeon and as we all know, pigeon dating sims are an established, refined genre. Definitely not going to back this unless they shift direction. Very disappointing.

You are probably not pretty like these guys:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Brian Mitsoda / RPG Codex zombie CRPG Dead State has a release date set for December 4.

I've played the betas pretty extensively and honestly, I feel like it's less than the sum of its parts - The engine is awkward and dated, the square grid for combat is and always will be a poor choice, and there's a terrible absence of atmosphere, which I think is mainly a result of the systems never quite gelling the way they should and the incredibly slack pacing. Strangely enough it's like a latter-day Bioware RPG, in that you have long stretches of combat and scavenging, and all the character interaction goes on in the downtime between action, which feels like a missed opportunity for a horror game. What's most distressing is how inert the characters feel - they so rarely have anything of importance to say and so they become just collections of stats. As it is the game's main problem is pacing, since it seems like there's a lot of opportunity for interesting stuff going into the game but it's so ponderous, and you don't start seeing new people until several in-game days.

Maybe they'll pick up a lot of slack in the final release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I got the same impression on playing the demo when it was first released. I set it to one side, hoping that it could be improved with a bit more dev time, but given how long they'd spent on it already that was always unlikely.

As you said, the crushing shame is the real lack of atmosphere - which really ought to have been the entire point of the game. I don't quite know what it's down to - the goofy character portraits, the lack of any apparent danger or threat indicator in the survival mode, or the fact that 90% of the time the soundtrack is just the piano playing fifths, but you never get a proper sense of 'scrappy band of survivors' from it, and you really ought to.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Why does everyone have a red nose? Does it take place in the midst of a cold outbreak?

Also they're really shiny.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 2, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That's how Tumblr colours people. I dunno why, they just do.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

The MSJ posted:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Tumblr's all about pretending fat people are beautiful but draws them like they're not realistically horrible fattards.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"fattard", huh? Cool, man. You're pretty cool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mutata posted:

"fattard", huh? Cool, man. You're pretty cool.

Oh, did I hurt your feelings?
*hug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
How did your arms reach around that far.