Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Some of these Adventure Mode battles are a little ridiculous. Beat Ganon, Ghoma and King Dodongo as Ganondorf? Lol ok bro

What combo is good for Ganondorf to do weak point smashes on bosses? I assume BY is good for generals/whatever because it launches them, even if it's super weak and kinda lovely.

Ganondorf is probably the third-best weak-point smasher in the game, behind Ruto and Darunia (DLC characters excepted). Charge up a full EVIL PUNCH, fire it off just as the boss falls over so it'll hit the weak point meter as it pops up, then spam uncharged XXY attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

There is! There are a couple of missions like this (Zant's level 2, this one, Defeat The Demon King) where you start off with a bunch of severely underpowered allies, and have enemies who can be powered up. They're challenging if you don't know what you're doing, but there are some specific things you can do to completely turn the tides.

First you need to understand the two morale mechanics in play. The most important one is your side's morale - as you kill enemies, your people are going to get steadily powered up. It happens in increments of 200 kills, until you've killed 1000 enemies. Once you've killed 1000 enemies your entire army gets a massive boost of morale, and some groups of them will become glowing blue high morale units at which point, as long as your base is relatively intact, you're pretty much guaranteed a win because they're going to push back hard and start taking keeps on their own. So you need to keep your base safe and get to 1000 as soon as possible.

The other morale mechanic is enemy morale. If they capture keeps that you're protecting specific set groups of enemies will get red glowing high morale and become extremely dangerous as they march on your base. You may think you want to stop this from happening at all, but in fact, the high morale can be easily neutralized if you know how it works. Morale is actually linked to the slightly larger trash enemy types - the ones who can act as Raid Captains or Outpost captains. In every group of glowing enemies there are several of these guys who are unlabled and untargetable. But if you kill them, the morale boost for their group of enemies goes away. So if you have red glowing enemies, you want to hunt these guys down and kill them immediately, and then take out any powered up captains. That way your base is being attacked only by mostly harmless, non glowing mooks.

The second thing, and this is the real trick to making these missions a joke, is that you can prolong the first phase of the battle as long as you want or need, by just abandoning one of your keeps and letting the bombchu take it. The mission won't progress to the final phase with the fourth bombchu and the advancing of the whole enemy until you recapture that keep. This lets you take as long as you need to clear out the stationary bombchu, and kill as many enemies as you want before recapturing the keep and triggering the final phase. You'll have to contend with one set of powered up enemies, but once you know how to deal with them they aren't a threat.

You still need to move fast to get an A-Rank so try to take out the biggest threats quickly and then coincide getting 1000 kills with retaking the other keep so that anyone who is left advancing on your base will be easily kept off while you go fight the boss and get your last 200 kills for the A-Rank.

Thank you. You are awesome. I poured my heart into beating that level the other day and I almost beat it (not A rank, just clear it) but my allied base fell as I was running to save Cia who was in the enemy base taking out the last commander. I had snagged the Golden Skulltulla too. Maybe I can win now. I'll be happy to beat the level and can worry about A rank later. Thanks for the tips man you rule.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah thanks, Regy Rusty. I suspected that's how the morale system worked, but to have it spelled out like that was really helpful.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I tried the hard skulltula in The Sacred Sword like 4 times only to figure out YOU need to discover the statues, not your commanders. gently caress.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I finished the regular Adventure Map this morning and found that I have one nagging silver medal... in the top left corner with the 4 Imprisoned fight. Is there any reward to A-ranking every battle other than a supreme sense of satisfaction? Because I'm thinking it may be more satisfying in the long run not to deal with that map again.

Also, in the credits there was a sprite and model for a grey Dodongo with blue crystal shoulders. Am I just completely forgetting it, or does that just not appear anywhere in the game?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Also, in the credits there was a sprite and model for a grey Dodongo with blue crystal shoulders. Am I just completely forgetting it, or does that just not appear anywhere in the game?

It only shows up in the Water Temple mission in Legend Mode. When you enter Zelda's chamber at the end, she summons it and it appears outside the temple, near the top of the steps.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingEffingFrost posted:

It's the Ocarina of Time version of King Dodongo, and it appears in exactly one spot - the Legend mode level in Lake Hylia. Fake Zelda summons it to attack your army while you're fighting her. You don't have to kill it in order to beat the level so you probably won't see it until you go for the Hard Mode skulltula (which requires you to kill it).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By the way, is anyone compiling the advice, strategies, and guides people have been posting? Because I think that might be a good idea.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

By the way, is anyone compiling the advice, strategies, and guides people have been posting? Because I think that might be a good idea.

I wish I had been. I'm five squares away from filling out my "What rewards are in this map square" thing, but I gave up on even filling out which enemies are where. Trying to create a guide for this game would be a full time job!

I'm down to seven weapons (and apparently I "beat" Adventure Mode, which near as I can tell gets you nothing except for whatever you can pluck off Ganon et alia during that stage). That Summoning Gate 3 is a bear. I almost had it, and then the two remaining Dinolfos rushed into my base and took it while I was trying to wear down Link. Ah well. I think I was one or two hearts shy of getting the A anyways. Same thing happened with Zant's level 3. I am becoming enraged.

I had to take a break and played some Legend Mode... is there literally no reward for beating Cia's five scenarios? I don't know what I thought they'd give me, I guess, but it felt very anticlimactic.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Bicyclops posted:

I wish I had been. I'm five squares away from filling out my "What rewards are in this map square" thing, but I gave up on even filling out which enemies are where. Trying to create a guide for this game would be a full time job!

It isn't every map, only some of the faster and potentially more lucrative ones, but I did make and post this list of enemies for things like Defeat All Enemies and the quizzes in Adventure mode: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508&pagenumber=74&perpage=40#post436980171

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm down to seven weapons (and apparently I "beat" Adventure Mode, which near as I can tell gets you nothing except for whatever you can pluck off Ganon et alia during that stage). That Summoning Gate 3 is a bear. I almost had it, and then the two remaining Dinolfos rushed into my base and took it while I was trying to wear down Link. Ah well. I think I was one or two hearts shy of getting the A anyways. Same thing happened with Zant's level 3. I am becoming enraged.

I had to take a break and played some Legend Mode... is there literally no reward for beating Cia's five scenarios? I don't know what I thought they'd give me, I guess, but it felt very anticlimactic.

The only reward for Cia's scenarios is laughing at her. The reward for beating Ganon is seeing that cool credits sequence.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Finally made it to Lana's Summoning Gate. Just need to grab a Digging Mitt to unlock it.

On a related note, I want to meet whoever it was who decided to lock that map behind one requiring you to get an A rank on a "Defeat the Giant Bosses!" map against Gohma, Argorok, and The Imprisoned inside the Palace of Souls.

And punch them through the throat.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oxxidation posted:

Ganondorf is probably the third-best weak-point smasher in the game, behind Ruto and Darunia (DLC characters excepted). Charge up a full EVIL PUNCH, fire it off just as the boss falls over so it'll hit the weak point meter as it pops up, then spam uncharged XXY attacks.

You can charge Ganondorf's moves?????

Someone needs to post what each character's best moves are for weak point smashes (obviously distinguishing between big boss and regular sized dudes) because I really suck at smashing weak point with Ruto somehow.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

because I really suck at smashing weak point with Ruto somehow.

Just keep mashing attack. Really, that's it, don't even use her heavys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Someone needs to post what each character's best moves are for weak point smashes (obviously distinguishing between big boss and regular sized dudes) because I really suck at smashing weak point with Ruto somehow.

Any that juggle.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What the gently caress! First Zant's repeating combos to charge his meter, and now this? Is there no end to the depth of this game?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How the hell do you do Ganondorf's Level 3 weapon mission? I have max darkness damage resist (or whatever) and I'm still taking too many hits.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I was SO goddamn close.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What the hell is the deal with Zant's meter anyway? I've never let it fill up all the way, because I am scared what will happen.

Ruto and Ganondorf's are great, but I thought if his filled all the way up, it would be bad, like crossing the streams bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

What the hell is the deal with Zant's meter anyway? I've never let it fill up all the way, because I am scared what will happen.

Ruto and Ganondorf's are great, but I thought if his filled all the way up, it would be bad, like crossing the streams bad.

If you go over the maximum he flubs the ender to whatever combo you were doing and gets stunned for a second or two. If you max it out without going over, his swords glow red and you gain apparently nothing because you're Zant and thus bad.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
t also lets you use his base heavy to go into an alternate mode. One button will make him spin forward like a top, and the other will plant him and shoot people like a turret.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

You want to fill Zant's up. When it's full you press strong attack and he goes full crazy and has two attacks depending on whether you mash regular attack (swirling tornado, good for grabbing up all enemies) or strong attack (rapid fire energy balls directed where he's facing).

The caution about Zant's bar is that you don't want to keep using his combo finishers once it's full because if you do that he overextends himself and the bar depletes and he gets stunned.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This sounds complicated, no wonder I have been doing poorly on his level 3.

The gate I'm starting to get the hang of, though. It's really great when you manage to ride around on the dragon, gleefully fluttering about and charring your enemies into bones. I do wish it's normal attacks were just slightly more useful. It's a little hard to time her hits for the weak point meter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Holding down X on any of Ganondorf's specials (besides XY, which functions a little differently) builds a secondary meter that increases the power of his Strong attack. With a full meter, that single punch can wipe out 2/3's of a boss's weak point.

And just mash Regular Attack with Ruto against big bosses. No specials are necessary.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 3, 2014

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Any advice for maps to do for weapon skill unlocks? I've been doing the Master Quest one near the bottom left that is All Attacks Are Devastating and has a Midna heart container reward, though it's a little annoying with the no healing thing.

Also are there any character specific strategies? Zelda has her strong attack tornado and is by far the easiest. Sheik has the lightning aura.

Why oh why they decided to make ko's not count for the unlocks if you fail the mission is beyond me. Also why the weapon skills aren't globally unlocked. I mean I can kind of see that one, but at least let it unlock on a different version of the same weapon so you don't unlock the same weapon skill twice for the gauntlets or whatever.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is actually a really good resource that covers what you're asking for: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/745183-hyrule-warriors/faqs/70316

mastajake posted:

Any advice for maps to do for weapon skill unlocks? I've been doing the Master Quest one near the bottom left that is All Attacks Are Devastating and has a Midna heart container reward, though it's a little annoying with the no healing thing.

I would imagine Rack Up the KOs maps would be best, since they constantly respawn Transport Captains with full magic drops and the captains and bosses all drop magic, too.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope these legendary skills are worth it because they're starting to clog Ganondorf's inventory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How the hell do you do Ganondorf's Level 3 weapon mission? I have max darkness damage resist (or whatever) and I'm still taking too many hits.

First, what level are you? I was able to win at level 39 so around there should be good.
Second, feel free to ignore Dark Agitha. Zant can handle her himself.
Third, moblins are pretty predictable and show their weakpoint a lot. So stay close and dodge away whenever they do their jump attack. The YX combo is great for taking out their weakpoint because it juggles them.
Fourth, when fighting Agitha, and the moblins as well, try and hit them with the YX combo then dodge out of it and hit them with a regular combo while they're in the air. They can't guard when in the air and it does far more damage than the usual followup of the YX attack.

I honestly had a harder time with with kills and time rather than damage. On my first try at level 36 I would've won but by the time I got to Agitha I only had 1000 kills so I had to stall and wait for the keep to spawn enough mooks for me to murder, and that tanked my time. Just gaining a few levels solved that nicely though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're really generous on the damage for Ganondorf's number 3. Or at least they were when I did it, I still can't figure out what the determining factors are in assigning you a number at the end and then ranking you on that number when it comes to damage.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Switching between Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 is making me terrible at both and it's breaking my heart

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Every quarter of a heart is 100 points. 10 hearts is 4000 damage. A few missions allow under 10000 damage (25 hearts?) but most are under 4000.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think the primary reason so many of the Limited: Ganondorf stages have such a high damage threshold for the A Rank is to compensate for the fact that so many of his combos leave him wide open to being pecked at, especially if you charge them.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know why the thread don't like Zant too much and loves Ruto instead. Ruto sucks and Zant rules. I really love Zant hooting and shrieking about the place, the dude is a freak and it rocks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

I don't know why the thread don't like Zant too much and loves Ruto instead. Ruto sucks and Zant rules. I really love Zant hooting and shrieking about the place, the dude is a freak and it rocks.

He's probably the single worst character in the game play-wise. He looks hilarious but he can't do anything as well as anyone else.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Oxxidation posted:

He's probably the single worst character in the game play-wise. He looks hilarious but he can't do anything as well as anyone else.

He's bad but he does some things pretty well, mostly involving wrecking groups of trash mobs with the giant stomp combo and building 2-3 bars of special near instantly if he catches a couple captains with it, too. He does have the possibly unique distinction of being pretty awful at taking out any weak point gauges, though.

On that topic, Zant does at least have a couple options against officer weakpoints, including C2 to launch and mashed strong attack, Fully charged crazy bar hurricane spin, and his special. The first option is pretty inconsistent against playable characters, though, and the hurricane spin is time consuming.

Also, Zant is the best at partying hard like a crazy person and falling drunk off the top of a totem pole.

Edit: The one thing that bothers me the most about Zant is I saw people really talking up the invincibility on him when he grows to giant size in the stomp combo but it turns out that was a huge lie.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 3, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

He's bad but he does some things pretty well, mostly involving wrecking groups of trash mobs with the giant stomp combo and building 2-3 bars of special near instantly if he catches a couple captains with it, too. He does have the possibly unique distinction of being pretty awful at taking out any weak point gauges, though.

This is probably Zant's biggest weakness. I think he does handle crowds well though.

One thing I experimented with was using his crazy meter enemy blasts against captains - it probably really depends on Zant's level and the level of your opponent, but that seemed like a decent safe way to do damage without taking damage yourself. You can basically treat it as a single-target special you can charge on demand.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I tried using the crazy meter to activate woo-hee spinning and he's complicated and interesting but he still gets trashed when there are hordes of officers.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bicyclops posted:

Man, I tried using the crazy meter to activate woo-hee spinning and he's complicated and interesting but he still gets trashed when there are hordes of officers.

If you're going into a horde of officers with Zant, you need to do it with a full stock of crazy and preferably a full stock of special meters. Build both up on some trash mobs with the supersize stomps, then use the spin2win mash slashes and his special to thin out the officer groups.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you're going into a horde of officers with Zant, you need to do it with a full stock of crazy and preferably a full stock of special meters. Build both up on some trash mobs with the supersize stomps, then use the spin2win mash slashes and his special to thin out the officer groups.

His level 3 is all mobs all the time!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bicyclops posted:

His level 3 is all mobs all the time!!

If you have to approach a bunch of officers without crazy, you need to space it so you start growing giant for the stomps before they do too much damage to you so you can get some crazy and also some special. Your other, safer but less damaging option is doing his C3 real quick. You won't do near as much damage, but Zant seems to be actually invincible when he's up on his totem pole, and that combo charges the crazy really fast so you can get back to spinning.

• Locked thread