Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

Why does ISIS want to terrify Shia LaBeouf? :confused:

Actual cannibal Shia LaBeouf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Regardless of it's 'shallowness' is it not clear to you that one of the main motivations of ISIS and their sympathizers is to hurt and kill Shia? These attacks are not an 'own goal' if they are trying to radicalize Sunni youth?

Why would they want Shia to join them? They hate the Shia.

They may hate the Shia, but the end result of doing what they've done only delivers the Shia, and any other :airquote:moderate:airquote: Muslims into the arms of the authorities, regardless of who they're aligned with.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Because transformers was so shiite.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

For the Shia thrill of it? :D

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Les Affaires posted:

They may hate the Shia, but the end result of doing what they've done only delivers the Shia, and any other :airquote:moderate:airquote: Muslims into the arms of the authorities, regardless of who they're aligned with.

The Shia are already working with authorities, they aren't sending young men to fight in ISIS because Isis hates the Shia. Looking over the past ten years I dont know how you can say attacks like these are an "own goal" when they in actuality prove to young Sunnis that militancy works. They are occupying two countries for Christs sake.

It's not an own goal but it would appear to me to be a terrorist attack on Australian soil which begs the question of why the ancient Sunni/Shia vendetta is being played out on the streets of Sydney, a severe rebuke to the ideals of multiculturalism

Any ideas?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Shia are already working with authorities, they aren't sending young men to fight in ISIS because Isis hates the Shia. Looking over the past ten years I dont know how you can say attacks like these are an "own goal" when they in actuality prove to young Sunnis that militancy works. They are occupying two countries for Christs sake.

It's not an own goal but it would appear to me to be a terrorist attack on Australian soil which begs the question of why the ancient Sunni/Shia vendetta is being played out on the streets of Sydney.

Any ideas?

Lax gun control?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

My Imaginary GF posted:

*reported sales go down. Do mid-term lung cancer rates? Because I can find you a back of a truck with tax-free cigarettes if thats what you want.

Not only sales, but patient self reported smoking status has also decreased over time in line with excise increases (I work on one of these large studies). Its funny because it was the cigarette companies that were complaining about the "explosion" in black market cigarettes (and how they wouldn't pay tax) yet no credible data source has seen this big switch.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Freudian Slip posted:

Not only sales, but patient self reported smoking status has also decreased over time in line with excise increases (I work on one of these large studies). Its funny because it was the cigarette companies that were complaining about the "explosion" in black market cigarettes (and how they wouldn't pay tax) yet no credible data source has seen this big switch.

Which is great, because you can imagine the food industry putting out scare campaigns like "black market food industry boogedy boogedy" and yet the ability to measure the health effects is as easy as measuring health effects of reduced tobacco usage.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

the ancient Sunni/Shia vendetta is being played out on the streets of Sydney, a severe rebuke to the ideals of multiculturalism

Define "the ideals of multiculturalism"

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Les Affaires posted:

Lax gun control?

So this is fundamentally a gun crime issue, and if we get more guns off the street then this violent schism will be addressed.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

It's not an own goal but it would appear to me to be a terrorist attack on Australian soil which begs the question of why the ancient Sunni/Shia vendetta is being played out on the streets of Sydney, a severe rebuke to the ideals of multiculturalism

Where have I heard this before?

Oh that's right

Some Arsehole posted:

As we have no real racial problem, we are not desirous of importing one

The Australian delegate on why we didn't want any jewish refugees

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

So this is fundamentally a gun crime issue, and if we get more guns off the street then this violent schism will be addressed.

Surely you agree that an article saying a "religious leader was shot", would not say "religious leader was shot" if there were nothing to shoot him with?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Don't waste that helium please.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

He died the way he lived - with a hilariously high voice.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

U suk

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Surely you agree that an article saying a "religious leader was shot", would not say "religious leader was shot" if there were nothing to shoot him with?

So let's just say a racist gang calling themselves the KKK was running around shooting Hindu or Buddhist religious leaders while threatening their whole community with death. In your opinion that would be fundamentally if not totally an issue about the availablility of guns, that would be best addressed by more laws cracking down on guns.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

So let's just say a racist gang calling themselves the KKK was running around shooting Hindu or Buddhist religious leaders while threatening their whole community with death. In your opinion that would be fundamentally if not totally an issue about the availablility of guns, that would be best addressed by more laws cracking down on guns.

Well, first we'd have to figure out where you lived.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Splode posted:

Where have I heard this before?

Oh that's right

The Australian delegate on why we didn't want any jewish refugees

I don't recall Orthodox Jews shooting reform synagogues with guns, link?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Define "the ideals of multiculturalism"

Very hard to define as you would know but I would venture that they do not include Sectarian shootings in parallel with a war happening half the world away.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

epipen posted:

Well, first we'd have to figure out where you lived.

Yeah being concerned about terrorist attacks on a relIgious minority makes me hitler lol go retweet.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
IWC where were you when white Australians were committing acts of terrorism against women in Hijabs on trains over the past several weeks?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

IWC where were you when white Australians were committing acts of terrorism against women in Hijabs on trains over the past several weeks?

I condemn them obviously

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

committing them, obviously.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this thread is interesting when it isn't pages upon pages of you guys telling the same people you've been getting mad at since like 08 to kill themselves over and over

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Splode posted:

committing them, obviously.

So what's your point exactly. That Sunni/Shia tensions rising to this point in Sydney aren't a problem? That racist abuse against muslim women negates the effect of shootings like these?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I condemn them obviously

I'd be keen to read your outraged internet posting about the failures of the Anglo settlement experiment.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Steve Price ranting on TV about how centrelink is so unfair on boomers :allears:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

this thread is interesting when it isn't pages upon pages of you guys telling the same people you've been getting mad at since like 08 to kill themselves over and over

That's sort of like saying that stars are interesting when they aren't in space

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

I'd be keen to read your outraged internet posting about the failures of the Anglo settlement experiment.

Well obviously there it was fundamentally a failure of the indigenous population to stop the boats.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

It would be nice to have some engagement about this posters whose twitter-addled brains can communicate in more than snarky whattaboutery because i'm interested to see what progressively-minded people make of it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

It would be nice to have some engagement about this posters whose twitter-addled brains can communicate in more than snarky whattaboutery because i'm interested to see what progressively-minded people make of it.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Well obviously there it was fundamentally a failure of the indigenous population to stop the boats.

:golfclap: I enjoyed that one

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irgun_attacks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_and_massacres_in_Mandatory_Palestine

Idiot.

Very hard to define as you would know but I would venture that they do not include Sectarian shootings in parallel with a war happening half the world away.

So do you normally define things by what they're not? Well, you're not very intelligent, so I guess your system works.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 3, 2014

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

In Australia, yuk ow the country we live in. I do agree that Australian citizens shouldn't fight in the IDF.

quote:

So do you normally define things by what they're not? Well, you're not very intelligent, so I guess your system works.

ok then: peaceful relationships between different communities.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

cpaf posted:

The Islamic schism has been the profound Iraqi/ME conflict since long before the West ever waded into it, just like Osama bin Laden's enmity to the US was born not of a 'fundamental hatred of Western Values' but of their relations with the House of Saud who he hated for decades.

A zealous Sunni Caliphate burns heretics along with infidels and its by no means an own goal, and it's loving terrifying that these people aren't just angry Muslims firing off randomly but people who are conscious of what the Isis movement is trying to achieve

Thank you, you seem informed. do you have anything to read that could explain to me the Sunni/Shia situation. The Right doesn't address it because it complicates the case for our intervention in the ME, while the Left doesn't address it because it's a problem that cannot be laid at the feet of the west.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

In Australia, yuk ow the country we live in. I do agree that Australian citizens shouldn't fight in the IDF.

ok then: peaceful relationships between different communities.

You don't even know the correct definition of multiculturalism. Why are you even taking about it, then? Maybe you should stop playing video games for ten seconds and actually read something, little boy?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

IWC revealed his racism when he failed to comment on the multiple recent acts of terrorism committed by white Australians against Muslim women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-26/mossad-factory-churned-out-fake-australian/343612

• Locked thread