Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Surlaw posted:

I'm pretty sure Merle was the best.

He was so smooth, just like the ocean under the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
How long has Beth been in the hospital in comparison to how long Rick has been dealing with termites? Is Carol showing up in the hospital directly after her leaving with Daryl?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Surlaw posted:

I liked this episode more than the Terminus ones and this thread is still really bad. We really do need "maybe I should rewatch" as the thread title again but the current one sums it up pretty well too.

I've been rewatching from the top as background noise while working and I've been surprised at how many details I missed the first time around, and I'm not even really paying attention this time around.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

How long has Beth been in the hospital in comparison to how long Rick has been dealing with termites? Is Carol showing up in the hospital directly after her leaving with Daryl?

It's been a few weeks, at most a month? Her and Daryl's timeline is kind of disjointed from the others, but there's a pretty easy assumption that at least two weeks passed while everyone was on the road before terminus and it's been four or so days since Terminus.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
according to the Walking Dead Wiki timeline, from when she was taken by the until Daryl walked out the trees, it was 5 days.

Terminus happened in a 24 hour period.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

mewse posted:

The Terminus villains were more interesting to me than the Hospital of Rape and Unpaid Debts. They were intelligent and tenacious and seemed to represent what Rick's group would be if they completely discarded their moral compasses. By fighting to eat, they had clearer motivations than the governor, daryl's brother, or queen cop.

If hospital villains get knocked out as quickly as the cannibals, I'll be happy with them. Maybe make the fact that they're all rapists more explicit at the beginning of the next episode so the less attentive viewers get it, set up how Carol got there via some recon (she and Daryl meet janitor and/or are watching from a nearby rooftop when Beth gets recaptured), then have Carol and Beth walking away from the burning hospital by the end. Then swap between those three, the DC group, and Rick's group until the last two episodes of the season when they all meet up and the whole cure plan either sets up a cliff hanger or falls apart.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think there is more to the hospital than rapecops and indentured servitude. The show has a habit of not actually revealing the unique twist until at least two eps deep into a story arc. I'd give it some time before writing it off as more-of-the-same.

edit: I'd actually be surprised if this was all that there is to it. Pretty cut and dry. There's probably background to Dawn, something having to do with the guy in the broken picture, even further on a limb, probably something having to do with them helping someone and letting that person go and that letting them go biting them in the rear end and killing the dude in the photo leading to her weird denial/controlfreak syndrome.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 4, 2014

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I doubt they've ever actually rescued anyone. People just don't last long enough to be found when wounded in zombie Georgia. Plus, we've already seen they have a pretty elaborate bait house, and Beth sure as hell didn't have a fractured arm before she got into the car.

I have to wonder about the girl who's arm they cut off. That bite was brand new, and they were hunting her down when it happened. They probably let her get bit so the doc would cut her arm off, hobbling her so she couldn't escape again.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 5, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah that's a great plan. Suicide girl has a pretty big role in Game of Thrones next year... btw

edit: oh and the Guv Woodbury has only been dead for 10 days.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 4, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

If hospital villains get knocked out as quickly as the cannibals, I'll be happy with them. Maybe make the fact that they're all rapists more explicit at the beginning of the next episode so the less attentive viewers get it, set up how Carol got there via some recon (she and Daryl meet janitor and/or are watching from a nearby rooftop when Beth gets recaptured), then have Carol and Beth walking away from the burning hospital by the end. Then swap between those three, the DC group, and Rick's group until the last two episodes of the season when they all meet up and the whole cure plan either sets up a cliff hanger or falls apart.

Calling it now: The prisoner Beth helped escaped got picked up by Daryl & Carol, who explained how it worked, so Carol faked the injury to get inside.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Think most people called that yesterday dude. What else you got?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think they mow people over in the cars. That's why beth's arm is borkd. Carol was hit, too. Daryl saw it, followed them, ran into Noah who tells him about the hospital and about beth and he's who is in the bushes at the end of the previous ep.`

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Saw a spoiler blog on reddit which (Carol spoilers)

posted pictures of carol and her stunt double filming and being hit by a car which looked very similar to the ones in the rape hospital...

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Eugene is the best

Thank you so much for that! I get the giggles every time I look at it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

No More Heroes posted:

The cowardly doc layer was kinda interesting as a contrast to the preachers downright negligence in letting a pile of people die by not moving to a loving door. This dude used Beth as a proxy killer to snuff out a rival that endangered his place in rape society :v:

It was pretty obvious the guy didn't want to lose his place there, both the perks of it and going out to fend for himself. In all honesty I can't completely blame him, it seemed like the only thing that kept queen poo poo bitch from beating him senseless was the fact he was the only one with medical knowledge.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Myron posted:

The herd wasn't drawn there by Rick's group though, so maybe they would have been worse off without them.

Actually yeah, they were. The herd changed directions when they heard Shane get shot in the skull.

misguided rage posted:

On the one hand I wish they'd leaned on the rape cop angle a little less hard. There are plenty of other reasons to want to break out, the entire setup is pretty terrible and they actually did a good job of dropping hints and building it up. On the other hand I bet that if they'd left that out a whole lot of viewers would have looked at the arrangement and thought 'yeah that seems totally reasonable'.

Um, Beth's original motives for escaping and Noah's motives were not rape based.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 4, 2014

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
I was bored during the first 40 minutes and it had nothing to do with the deeply nuanced storytelling of The Walking Dead.

Hope there won't be many detours left before the mid-season finale. I actually liked season 4 but the pacing and tone were all over the place in the first half.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

It's strange to me that Carol is a badass warrior princess, but here we are. Didn't see that coming from S1 Carol, tell you that.

Agreed. She has been the best character on the show hands down. I always enjoy getting people caught up and seeing their reaction to a character that nobody saw surviving this long; let-alone, becoming what she is now. She is a big part of why I continue to watch.

moist turtleneck posted:

Eugene is the best

Eugene is amazingly goony and I hope he stays that way for a while.

I also don't get the immense hate. It wasn't my favourite episode but it wasn't bad at all. Reminded me of Day of the Dead a little. Like I said before the second part will either make or break the arc. It was a decent cool-off ep if nothing else. There were tons of creepy sub-text and when you goons started repeating "for the greater good" it was one of the best laughs I had in ages.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SocketWrench posted:

Um, Beth's original motives for escaping and Noah's motives were not rape based.
Yes, that's my point. They went a bit overboard making sure everyone is absolutely certain these are the bad guys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

GrAviTy84 posted:

edit: I'd actually be surprised if this was all that there is to it. Pretty cut and dry. There's probably background to Dawn, something having to do with the guy in the broken picture, even further on a limb, probably something having to do with them helping someone and letting that person go and that letting them go biting them in the rear end and killing the dude in the photo leading to her weird denial/controlfreak syndrome.

I'm going to have to rewatch, but the guy in the broken photo was originally in charge. I'd guess he wasn't down with the corruption, which led to an rear end in a top hat mutiny, and Dawn being put in charge. Dawn's a terrible, ineffective leader, so the rapists walk all over her and she takes her frustration out on the 'wards.'

That's mostly speculation, though. But there's definitely backstory that involves him.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Cingulate posted:

But either way, what I originally asked was, when did the Greater Good became the obvious tell for bad people? Because I don't think the Rape-based Economy had been revealed when that phrased was first uttered, but one immediately understands it means Dawn is evil and we'll all cheer once she is inevitably eaten by either zombies, or Rick.

Everyone makes the following series of jumps: "The Greater Good" = the ends justify the means = we're doing something absolutely horrible and we're justifying it with a completely unrealistic utopian vision. That's why.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

misguided rage posted:

Yes, that's my point. They went a bit overboard making sure everyone is absolutely certain these are the bad guys.

Have you read this thread? Apparently they didn't go far enough in explaining that they're doing something bad.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

moths posted:

I'm going to have to rewatch, but the guy in the broken photo was originally in charge. I'd guess he wasn't down with the corruption, which led to an rear end in a top hat mutiny, and Dawn being put in charge. Dawn's a terrible, ineffective leader, so the rapists walk all over her and she takes her frustration out on the 'wards.'

That's mostly speculation, though. But there's definitely backstory that involves him.

Yeah I think the Dr. said that guy (Harman?) "cracked, he made some bad calls, got some people killed. Dawn took care of us. Dawn took care of him."

That implies to me that Harman went a bit batty and Dawn (probably his second in command at the time), killed him and took his spot, but it's been a tenuous grasp on power for her the entire time.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
On the rewatch I noticed that Noah, is thr same actor that played Chris on Everybody Hates Chris

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

joebuddah posted:

On the rewatch I noticed that Noah, is thr same actor that played Chris on Everybody Hates Chris

I want him to get a flashback scene where we see his dad, who is played by Terry Crews.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I gotta say even though this episode was probably the weakest so far I still enjoyed it a lot. Maybe I'm just easily impressed but I thought the shots of Atlanta from the roof, the elevator shaft, and the escape into the parking lot were all really cool scenes.

The spitty lollipop I could've done without though.

I did find it kind of funny that Beth managed to get 100% headshots in a pitch black tunnel.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 4, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Rocksicles posted:

Think most people called that yesterday dude. What else you got?

^this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lollipop was brilliant. It was probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching this show. It makes you root for beth, it gave us context for the office scene with suicide girl all the while addressing rape in post apocalypse with out actually showing it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

misguided rage posted:

As opposed to?
"Well, they were rapists, but the one girl that they should have raped they didn't even try! This show is bullshit".
It's a show of how authority can slowly change from just to bad in the name of compromise. The compromise being keeping everything together.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lollipop was brilliant. It was probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching this show. It makes you root for beth, it gave us context for the office scene with suicide girl all the while addressing rape in post apocalypse with out actually showing it.
We're actually having rape stuff every other episode. Carl/Michonne claimed, Terminus flashbacks.

Surlaw posted:

Have you read this thread? Apparently they didn't go far enough in explaining that they're doing something bad.
Not really. Nobody here was left wondering, hm, what about this Rape Cop guy, maybe he's just having a bad day, why is Beth so angry, lollipops taste nice!

On the second attempt, I didn't like it any more.
Noah's first scene with Beth is truly terrible. Both pacing wise, and writing wise. He immediately opens up to Beth and tells her he's planning an escape in like his 4th sentence, and his last lines are cringe-worthy. "They think I'm weak. They don't know poo poo about me, about what I am, about what you are." This scene was when I kinda tuned out last time.
A true credit to the actor that he's still a likable figure.

SocketWrench posted:

As opposed to?
"Well, they were rapists, but the one girl that they should have raped they didn't even try! This show is bullshit".
It's a show of how authority can slowly change from just to bad in the name of compromise. The compromise being keeping everything together.
You know what would have been subtle and layered? If in their characterization of Dawn's hospital, there actually had been any doubt. If they had actually slowly constructed it in a way that halfway through you're actually, for a second, thinking: hm, maybe in the context of the zombie apocalypse, rape-based economy isn't such a bad idea. If they had shown you Dawn's perspective. Maybe even humanize Rape Cop for a second. Show how it's actually true that if they hadn't save this person, they'd be dead. Show an alternative attempt that failed because somebody was sticking to their principles.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 4, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I really don't need the show to ask me to question whether a rape based economy would be ok in certain circumstances.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cingulate posted:

We're actually having rape stuff every other episode. Carl/Michonne claimed, Terminus flashbacks.
Not really. Nobody here was left wondering, hm, what about this Rape Cop guy, maybe he's just having a bad day, why is Beth so angry, lollipops taste nice!

On the second attempt, I didn't like it any more.
Noah's first scene with Beth is truly terrible. Both pacing wise, and writing wise. He immediately opens up to Beth and tells her he's planning an escape in like his 4th sentence, and his last lines are cringe-worthy. "They think I'm weak. They don't know poo poo about me, about what I am, about what you are." This scene was when I kinda tuned out last time.
A true credit to the actor that he's still a likable figure.

You know what would have been subtle and layered? If in their characterization of Dawn's hospital, there actually had been any doubt. If they had actually slowly constructed it in a way that halfway through you're actually, for a second, thinking: hm, maybe in the context of the zombie apocalypse, rape-based economy isn't such a bad idea. If they had shown you Dawn's perspective. Maybe even humanize Rape Cop for a second. Show how it's actually true that if they hadn't save this person, they'd be dead. Show an alternative attempt that failed because somebody was sticking to their principles.

Oh, you're one of the ones that wants a movie crammed into a few minutes of tv show...yeah, that's gonna happen. They don't need to humanize it or show her perspective. Even Dawn knows it's wrong, but allows it to keep her shaky grip on the power. She's a Shane. There is no alternative to show because literally they gave us the alternative and it obviously failed with the take over of Dawn as the person in charge. I think you're expecting the wrong things from this or simply aren't paying attention to what the show actually did.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

Oh, you're one of the ones that wants a movie crammed into a few minutes of tv show
Wasn't I just complaining about a scene being too crammed and too early?

All I'm saying is, this wasn't especially nuanced. They basically drew evil twin mustaches on them and had them kick a puppy; cue the inevitable zombie punishment (and hopefully soon, Carol).
I liked the Terminus crew much more. They were literally cannibals, and still felt like they had more to offer.

I don't know why I'm spending so much energy complaining. All in all, I didn't like it - for numerous reasons. None of which, incidentally, were Beth.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

QwertySanchez posted:

Also that one guy who was entirely surrounded by zombies on one side and Rick and Carl just watched.

Also, that guy had glasses.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This was massively nuanced compared to the Terminus people making food jokes from the second we saw them and then giving super long villainous monologues. The Governor staring into his aquarium was more nuanced than that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure "nuanced" is the right word for Terminus either. But I enjoyed the flashbacks to Terminus' "origin story". You didn't like Gareth's insane ramblings?

I think the show's better at handling current, relevant, hot-button issues like "cannibalism - yes or no?" or "a man who keeps his relative's heads in jars - can he be trusted?" than what they tried with the hospital. Maybe they tried nuanced - and failed.
Well, hopefully the next episode is super rad and Dawn shows her interesting side. What we had seen of Terminus at their initial appearance in S4 wasn't so interesting either.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kinda said that earlier. The first glimpse at a new group is never interesting. Remember "Vatos"?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

GrAviTy84 posted:

Kinda said that earlier. The first glimpse at a new group is never interesting. Remember "Vatos"?

Wasn't that the only look at that new group though?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cingulate posted:

You didn't like Gareth's insane ramblings?

Not in the slightest and I'm very thankful that they got rid of him quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I found the early group of gangsters taking care of the people in the retirement home very interesting. Not sure I want a followup on it or not, because it can't have ended well for them.

• Locked thread