Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I noticed there wasn't an editing/photoshop thread. I've got a question on chroma-keying (removal based on color) involving translucent objects.

If I take a photo of an item against a blue or green background, I can select the background based on color and delete/mask it. However, what do I do if the object I'm photographing has translucent bits that let some of the blue through? Is there any way to make those parts transparent?

(I'm specifically using Pixelmatr on OSX.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

I noticed there wasn't an editing/photoshop thread. I've got a question on chroma-keying (removal based on color) involving translucent objects.

Can you copy and paste image data into your masks? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with your software)

If so, this is how I, a photoshop user, would do it (pretty rough but you get the idea.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Not bad!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hello goons, here with some professional ethics question.

So I'm currently in talks with the athletic department at a major university to

1. Interview some of their basketball players for a documentary for a class and
2. Possibly do some highlight videos for them

They've asked me for some samples of my past work. I don't have a few things that I can clearly claim as my own product, but some other videos that I have assisted on in shooting and post. For projects that I have assisted on, are those acceptable to send with the disclosure that I was primarily an assistant?

For greater context, I am a grad student with only a year or so of experience.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Web goons, can any of you direct me to a Wordpress plugin that can make a site gallery like this - http://tritonproductions.com/clients/

I've messed with a few plugins but can't seem to find anything. Thanks and sorry for being a buffoon!

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Web goons, can any of you direct me to a Wordpress plugin that can make a site gallery like this - http://tritonproductions.com/clients/

I've messed with a few plugins but can't seem to find anything. Thanks and sorry for being a buffoon!

Go here and find a full theme for it, not just a plugin-- http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I might be blind or really bad at forum search but there used to be a megathread in either this forum or in the Business Finance Careers forum that was dedicated to self-published erotica/romance as a business. I can't find it for the life of me. Was it gassed and all discussion nixed? It was pretty popular and there were a whole bunch of goons doing it, I can't imagine it just died off of its own accord.

It was also a gigantic ball of drama so it's gone, sorry.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Humboldt Squid posted:

It was also a gigantic ball of drama so it's gone, sorry.

Yeah I saw a couple posts about it from June this year in one of the other writing megathreads. The thread seemed really ordered and professional when I last checked up on it, super interested in sale stats and trends and how to manage Amazon's platform, so that must have been a while before FYAD got to it. Bit of a shame but what are you going to do. I was going to edit my post here but figured it'd get left behind on the last page

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Yeah I saw a couple posts about it from June this year in one of the other writing megathreads. The thread seemed really ordered and professional when I last checked up on it, super interested in sale stats and trends and how to manage Amazon's platform, so that must have been a while before FYAD got to it. Bit of a shame but what are you going to do. I was going to edit my post here but figured it'd get left behind on the last page

There is a general self-publishing thread, dunno if you've seen it? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639693

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Photoshop CC question - and it's really loving dumb.

How do I get rid of the empty workspace thingy? Like, I work on an image, save + close it, but there's still giant this black loving box and tool palette hanging there. It's goddamn annoying and I just want it to go away like in Illustrator.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are you talking about Window > Application Frame?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

The Dave posted:

Are you talking about Window > Application Frame?

Oh thank god. I knew it was something simple. Why is that the drat default?

thanks.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Does anyone use Behance as a portfolio site? I seem unable to edit or delete projects, though the FAQ section tells me I should be able to. Is it just being stubborn, or what?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yes, that's strange. It's typically pretty easy and if I recall correctly all you have to do is go to your projects and click the little edit/pencil icon in the top right hand corner of whichever you're trying to edit. What's happening when you do it?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Nessa posted:

Does anyone use Behance as a portfolio site? I seem unable to edit or delete projects, though the FAQ section tells me I should be able to. Is it just being stubborn, or what?

Should be as simple as this, from the main grid--

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

redcheval posted:

Yes, that's strange. It's typically pretty easy and if I recall correctly all you have to do is go to your projects and click the little edit/pencil icon in the top right hand corner of whichever you're trying to edit. What's happening when you do it?

My problem is that there are no icons when I hover over the project. I go to My Profile under Projects, hover over one and no icons appear at all.

Also, is there a way to reorder projects? I seem to be having a lot of troubles with this. :/

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Nessa posted:

My problem is that there are no icons when I hover over the project. I go to My Profile under Projects, hover over one and no icons appear at all.

Also, is there a way to reorder projects? I seem to be having a lot of troubles with this. :/

Again, see my image-- the three lines there is where you'd click&drag to reorder. But if you can't see anything when hovering, not sure what the issue would be.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I contacted support and they got back to me within minutes. Said my browser was probably too narrow and forcing the site to work in tablet mode. I widened my browser window a little bit and the problem is fixed!

I honestly never would have thought of doing that on my own. I tend to keep my browser window somewhat narrow.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 16, 2019

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Am I missing something here or am I really expected to fork up ~$2 each for quality colored sketch paper? I just wanted something a little better quality than construction paper peach toned paper at not a ridiculous price, but I'm having a hard time finding anything.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

pandaK posted:

Am I missing something here or am I really expected to fork up ~$2 each for quality colored sketch paper? I just wanted something a little better quality than construction paper peach toned paper at not a ridiculous price, but I'm having a hard time finding anything.

What size do you need? The one you have there is 19 x 25" so its a decent sized piece of paper for 2 dollars. You could cut out multiple 9x12s from one sheet of it. That also sounds close to what you'd pay for something like Canson Mi Teintes brand paper which is what I see a lot of people use for archival quality colored paper. But it's also 140lb (300 gsm) paper and unless you are doing a pastel/conte/charcoal/etc drawing that you plan to exhibit at a gallery or something you probably don't need something of that quality. It's definitely overkill for sketching. 80 lb should be significantly cheaper and is still many times better than regular old construction paper.

Cardstock might also be an option if you are doing cut outs or planning on using the paper to mount something. Cardstock is smooth, very stiff and has no tooth just like bristol board, but is fairly sturdy and comes in both matte and gloss finishes depending on the kind you buy. You can also draw on it if you use pencil, ink or acrylics but I wouldn't recommend anything that requires texture to stick to the paper. But that's another cheap alternative.

You should visit your local art store, especially if you can find something like a Jerry's Artarama, Utretcht or Dick Blick. They'll have lots of different kinds of paper and they might be able to help you find the exact kind of paper you need. Once you've found that, you can try ordering it directly from the manufacturer if you need a lot of one color. Or if you don't need too many, just buy some individual sheets from the store. Also if they carry the brand but don't have the color, ask them to see if they might order some. Some art stores will do this for you and it doesn't hurt to ask.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 9, 2014

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For any illustrators or designers, how much do you usually charge for cover art and how do you get that number?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

OmanyteJackson posted:

For any illustrators or designers, how much do you usually charge for cover art and how do you get that number?

Cover of what?

I try to look at the scope of the job and the needs for it. Then I estimate my hours and apply my hourly rate. Hopefully I hit it, or come under it. If I go over, I eat the cost.

People sometimes balk, and that's usually because they're ignorant. They think this is just some kind of hobby and not a career.

I just recently was approached by someone wanting me to do some movie posters, for $25 each. It was insulting. Especially when I discovered this was a film-maker. Please don't undermine my business. It's how I feed my family. I wouldn't ask him to make a movie for pennies, don't ask the same of designers/illustrators.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
Any suggestions on a good, thick paint type?

Let me explain:
I've been having fun carving pumpkins this year, doing those shallow-surface kind of carvings

But now everyone's either sold out of pumpkins, or they only have lovely ones. So in trying to find a substitute carving medium (watermelons were too messy) I had an idea: What if you took a canvass and covered it with a thick layer of paint, one color, let that dry, then covered it again with another thick layer, slightly darker color, let it dry, and repeated that process over and over until you had like a half-inch thick slab of color layers - then carved a picture into it?

So... any suggestions on a paint type would set thick, dry relatively fast, and hopefully not be too expensive since I'd need to buy a shitload of different shades?

Or has anyone tried something like that and can report that it's a stupid idea?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Reset_Smith posted:

Any suggestions on a good, thick paint type?

Let me explain:
I've been having fun carving pumpkins this year, doing those shallow-surface kind of carvings

But now everyone's either sold out of pumpkins, or they only have lovely ones. So in trying to find a substitute carving medium (watermelons were too messy) I had an idea: What if you took a canvass and covered it with a thick layer of paint, one color, let that dry, then covered it again with another thick layer, slightly darker color, let it dry, and repeated that process over and over until you had like a half-inch thick slab of color layers - then carved a picture into it?

So... any suggestions on a paint type would set thick, dry relatively fast, and hopefully not be too expensive since I'd need to buy a shitload of different shades?

Or has anyone tried something like that and can report that it's a stupid idea?

I know they sell extra-heavy-body acrylics, but I don't know how amenable it would be to carving but I think it'd be interesting to try. How about encaustics? I've never used them before, but being wax they should be thick and carving-friendly.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

dupersaurus posted:

I know they sell extra-heavy-body acrylics, but I don't know how amenable it would be to carving but I think it'd be interesting to try. How about encaustics? I've never used them before, but being wax they should be thick and carving-friendly.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of encaustics. Mixing pigments into the same body of wax would definitely cut down on the total amount of material I'd have to buy, and it'd probably be easier fix the inevitable gently caress-ups - if not, I could pop in a wick and call it an "abstract candle"

Good call, dupersaurus :)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You can get acrylic gel media that are flexible and carveable after they set. They can be colored with acrylic paint and layered infinitely. Seriously don't go messing with wax when space age polymers exist to do just this with less frustration.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

neonnoodle posted:

You can get acrylic gel media that are flexible and carveable after they set. They can be colored with acrylic paint and layered infinitely. Seriously don't go messing with wax when space age polymers exist to do just this with less frustration.

Another good point. Watching some acrylic gel demonstrations and they seem to be quite manageable. 32oz for like $20 ain't bad either. Also good stuff to have around for regular painting.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

neonnoodle posted:

talking in broad strokes, I personally think encaustic looks a lot better - I can spot acrylic work a mile away even when it uses fancy mediums to mimic other kinds of work

I know it's personal preference but I'm definitely not unique, and on the process side I know a few artists who are really attached to the encaustic process for lots of legit reasons that "space age polymers" simply are not - so its completely subjective

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

Beat. posted:

talking in broad strokes, I personally think encaustic looks a lot better - I can spot acrylic work a mile away even when it uses fancy mediums to mimic other kinds of work

I know it's personal preference but I'm definitely not unique, and on the process side I know a few artists who are really attached to the encaustic process for lots of legit reasons that "space age polymers" simply are not - so its completely subjective

I get paid tomorrow, so I'm going to buy both acrylic and encaustic and not pay my phone bill. :homebrew:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Best idea I've heard all day.

Mo' media
Mo' media
Mo' media

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
Acrylic Gel Trip Report: It failed. Each lower level was thoroughly dry before I put on the next (about half an hour under a hair dryer I had mounted over the canvas) but after a few repetitions, they seemed to absorb the moisture of the layers above and get all squishy then ooze out when I cut into it. So, bad for carving, but sorta neat to look at in a gooey cake-fail sort of way.

Anyway, my encaustic set arrives today. We'll see what happens.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I don't know how the gel media works chemically, but there might be a difference between being dry and actually being set, that 30 minutes and a hair dryer won't make. Maybe leave a day or two on its own? If you've got enough laying around, it may be worth trying a few blobs of the acrylic paint straight and seeing how that works... like straight-out-of-the-tube thick.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Reset_Smith posted:

Acrylic Gel Trip Report: It failed. Each lower level was thoroughly dry before I put on the next (about half an hour under a hair dryer I had mounted over the canvas) but after a few repetitions, they seemed to absorb the moisture of the layers above and get all squishy then ooze out when I cut into it. So, bad for carving, but sorta neat to look at in a gooey cake-fail sort of way.

Anyway, my encaustic set arrives today. We'll see what happens.

You have to let it cure for a loooooooooong time when you work with layers that thick. It's not truly set when the surface is dry, it takes much longer for all the water to evaporate.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
Word. Patience is a rare commodity when I'm drinking, especially when I don't know if the end result will be worth it. On the next acrylic attempt, I was thinking I might put it in the oven after each layer, like at 150 degrees for a few hours.

It'll be a lot easier to avoid the temptation to rush it if I have something else to play with in the meantime. Encaustics should fill that role nicely.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I have an EXIF dictionary of values I'm getting from the camera on iOS devices. I'm using the brightness value as a sensor. Is there a way to calculate minimum and maximum expected limits for any given settings?

For example:
code:
2014-11-20 18:02:23.712 CameraTest[536:86343] EXIF Dictionary {
    ApertureValue = "2.526068811667587";
    BrightnessValue = "7.000561738992913";
    ExposureBiasValue = 0;
    ExposureTime = "0.007936507936507936";
    FNumber = "2.4";
    Flash = 32;
    FocalLenIn35mmFilm = 31;
    FocalLength = "2.15";
    ISOSpeedRatings =     (
    );
    LensMake = Apple;
    LensModel = "iPad Air front camera 2.15mm f/2.4";
    LensSpecification =     (
        "2.15",
        "2.15",
        "2.4",
        "2.4"
    );
    MeteringMode = 5;
    PixelXDimension = 1280;
    PixelYDimension = 720;
    SceneType = 1;
    SensingMethod = 2;
    ShutterSpeedValue = "6.978645358961448";
    WhiteBalance = 0;
}
The BrightnessValue peaks at about 7.0, and bottoms out at 0.67 (completely covering the lens). Is there a way to calculate that range using the other settings?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I want to make a Christmas gift for an important friend. For inside reasons, I've decided it should center around a quote from TDKR:

"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended."

(You can stop cringing now).

I would like to present that quote in a nice medium so that it could be hung on a wall or whatever. The problem is that I have very limited artistic skill. I'm not completely hopeless, but I have painted very little in my life (if painting is the way to go for this).

If anyone has any suggestions for how I could do this and not royally gently caress it up, I'd appreciate it.

I am open to the idea of just presenting "A hero can be anyone..." and then continuing the quote as a personal note on the back or whatever.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

FaradayCage posted:

I would like to present that quote in a nice medium so that it could be hung on a wall or whatever. The problem is that I have very limited artistic skill. I'm not completely hopeless, but I have painted very little in my life (if painting is the way to go for this).

Have you considered using the computer? I sometimes have to do stuff like this at work. Copying/tracing letters from fonts is the way to go if you don't have any lettering skills. Without reference imagery you'll be shooting in the dark and your end product will probably look bad.

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 9, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Seconding trying to do it on the computer. You also might be able to commission something from a designer for a not-huge amount. I've had good luck in the past contacting people on Etsy whose work I liked and asking if they'd be interested in doing a one-off.

FaradayCage posted:

I would like to present that quote in a nice medium so that it could be hung on a wall or whatever.

Look into canvas printing. There are a million places that will do it online, or you could probably find a printer in your town who might be able to help you out. Screen printing is another option which will give you a better result, but it'll probably be quite a bit more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question about backing up my work in Adobe CS. I'm trying to use CrashPlan for backing up my work, but it's taking forever to upload my work to their cloud (there's ~40GB to backup). According to CrashPlan, it'll take 8 days to backup my files, most of which are work done in Adobe CS. Am I better off biting the bullet and just upgrading to Adobe Creative Cloud and using their cloud's backup service?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 23, 2014