Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Let's not even get too deep into that one time that Superboy once moved every planet in a galaxy to another galaxy, in a day, with a giant chain.

Yeah poo poo was ridiculous once, even by comicbook standards.

Polaron posted:

There's a moment in one of the comics where Superman is running alongside Flash and they have a conversation that goes something like this:

Flash: "You can't stop me."
Superman: "I've raced you before, Barry. I even won some of those races."
Flash: "Those races were for charity, Clark."

And then Flash pours on the speed and is just gone. One of my favorite Flash panels.

That scene is out of Flash: Rebirth incidentally, which was Geoff Johns' mini-series to revamp the Flash lore, and particularly, Barry Allen. Its one of the sources directly influencing the show in terms of the TV character's background.

Man I would love to see the Flash charity races on the show. Doesn't even need Superman to compete with since they've got the endurance issues, plus Barry not always going at top speed. Just has to beat the time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Let's not even get too deep into that one time that Superboy once moved every planet in a galaxy to another galaxy, in a day, with a giant chain.

Yeah poo poo was ridiculous once, even by comicbook standards.

That scene is out of Flash: Rebirth incidentally, which was Geoff Johns' mini-series to revamp the Flash lore, and particularly, Barry Allen. Its one of the sources directly influencing the show in terms of the TV character's background.

Man I would love to see the Flash charity races on the show. Doesn't even need Superman to compete with since they've got the endurance issues, plus Barry not always going at top speed. Just has to beat the time limit.

I'd imagine The Flash will start making more public and stationary appearances in the second half of this season or the next season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the Black Flash the Black Racer?

Oh god I'd love to see New Gods stuff on tv.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd imagine The Flash will start making more public and stationary appearances in the second half of this season or the next season.

This is what I am really looking forward to, the Flash even more than Supes or Spidey is a people's hero. He doesn't just beat up villains and save people from falling or whatever, he will help people with mundane tasks like changing a tire or delivering meals to the elderly because he has just so much time in the day. And the people reward him with a museum and parades and poo poo. This is also why, when they have the occasional storyline where people get mad at the impact he causes, he gets super disillusioned because he is not used to that type of treatment, he wants to be fast enough to help everyone.

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't the Black Flash the Black Racer?

Depends on the writer, at various points some like to equate things while others like to differentiate. Like at other times the Speed Force was basically explained to be a variation/part of/another name for The Source, which is another New Gods thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

He could race a rocket car!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
In The Human Race, Wally West has to race an alien who can instantaneously teleport to earth from like the other side of the universe. He wins. I've never bought The Flash being slower than anyone or anything.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rocksicles posted:

wish i'd been around for the Young Justice thread.

Finally getting around to watching it now. It's drat good. Flash/Kid Flash/Impulse are the best.

Wentworth Miller voices Deathstroke.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

jscolon2.0 posted:

oh wow he does.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

jscolon2.0 posted:

Now we just need Manu Bennett to voice Captain Cold.

I love meta casting things and coincidences with that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wezlar posted:

If you say he took two every trip (less than quoted) thats 250000 trips x 70 miles (35 miles each way) = 17500000 miles in .00000000001 seconds = 175 000 000 000 000 000 m/s. The speed of light is 299 792 458 m/s

I hope I mathed that correctly.

If he actually did that at "a hair's breadth short of the speed of light", let's say 299,792,450 m/s, he would've completed the evacuation in about 93 seconds. Still a superheroic effort by far, but not enough to outrun the initial radiation burst or most of the shockwave damage in the guaranteed kill zone.

Although really, the show is the same way with his powers since someone moving anywhere near the speed of sound would still be easily visible in all of those "hey where'd Barry go?" moments, he gets across town in seconds instead of minutes and his normal clothes aren't shredded to rags whenever he goes faster than ~200 mph. Barry works on a far lower power scale in the show but they both take huge liberties to deliver those "whoa that was cool" moments. And we mostly don't care because whoa, that was cool!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Solaris Knight posted:

Now we just need Manu Bennett to voice Captain Cold.

I love meta casting things and coincidences with that.

I wouldn't say no to live action Danica McKellar or Lacey Chabert, either.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

All right lets say he keeps to 500 MPH.Then we have the light speed episode next year. Then he figures out he can go faster and everything changes. They should let me write this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We all know that at some point Barry is going to travel in time. Hopefully they stay away from the Flashpoint plot when he does.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In the comics didn't the Flash once punch a guy at the speed of light and cause a nuclear explosion or something like that?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have a feeling that it's going to take some very specialized and unique and very rare objects to enable time-travel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

I have a feeling that it's going to take some very specialized and unique and very rare objects to enable time-travel.

Or an accident with the treadmill. I mean come on, we know it's going to happen. Unless you slept through the pilot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Or an accident with the treadmill. I mean come on, we know it's going to happen. Unless you slept through the pilot.

"Hey, guys! Watch me do a cartwheel! OHhhh SHI-"

*flip rumblewhadadadadadadadadada-WUMP!BZZkawWHOOOOOSH!*

"...uhh, where'd Barry go?"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

In the comics didn't the Flash once punch a guy at the speed of light and cause a nuclear explosion or something like that?

That would be the 'Infinite Mass Punch'. Previously it had been a point that the powers meant that relative mass didn't apply to speedsters, but Grant Morrison ignored that for his Justice League run so that he could have Flash punch out a White Martian (as in, more powerful than the Martian Manhunter, himself on par with Supes ror strength alome) by hitting like, as the narration put it, 'a white dwarf star'. The scene became iconic, in no small part because it bumped the Flash up from merely fast to destructive powerhouse that could take on Superman if need be, and then was solidified in the fight with Brainthor on the JLU tv series as part of popular culture.

Drifter posted:

"Hey, guys! Watch me do a cartwheel! OHhhh SHI-"

*flip rumblewhadadadadadadadadada-WUMP!BZZkawWHOOOOOSH!*

"...uhh, where'd Barry go?"

"...Dad?"
"I may call a lot of people son, but none of them actually are. Name's Jay Garrick."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

We all know that at some point Barry is going to travel in time. Hopefully they stay away from the Flashpoint plot when he does.

Actually this is apparently the direction the producers want to go with the time travel stuff, according to interviews.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's way too much alternate version of a hero stuff in Flashpoint to work in a show that only has the Flash, the Green Arrow family, and potentially Firestorm.

Like there's very little to it otherwise. The basics of Barry in an alternate timeline having to recreate his powers could work, though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 4, 2014

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

There's way too much alternate version of a hero stuff in Flashpoint to work in a show that only has the Flash, the Green Arrow family, and potentially Firestorm.

Like there's very little to it otherwise. The basics of Barry in an alternate timeline having to recreate his powers could work, though.

But Flash in an alternate world would be boss. Especially if Oliver is in the episode as a rich idiot who never went to the island (Seem to remember flashpoint causing all sorts of weird stuff that seemingly has no connection to Barry). Hell it would give them an excuse to bring Tommy and Moira back for an episode as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

But Flash in an alternate world would be boss. Especially if Oliver is in the episode as a rich idiot who never went to the island (Seem to remember flashpoint causing all sorts of weird stuff that seemingly has no connection to Barry). Hell it would give them an excuse to bring Tommy and Moira back for an episode as well.

Flashpoint is part of the trigger for the New 52 reset iirc so it did a lot of things not connected to The Flash.

I would also like a Golden Age alternate universe jump complete with Mercury blessed Flash and a clean shaven Green Arrow in his Robin Hood outfit

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, gonna watch the second episode again tonight, albeit this time on this side of the pond, and with my Dad. He seemed to enjoy the first episode well enough.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Pwnstar posted:

One of his enemies, Zoom (II), also would cause massive explosions of force by snapping his fingers at super fast speed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like how the writer clearly states he's traveling AT LEAST escape velocity, and then the next panel he's crashing back down to the ground.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scyantific posted:

Actually this is apparently the direction the producers want to go with the time travel stuff, according to interviews.

I'm okay with him saving his mom, I just don't think he needs to reboot the entire universe.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

I like how the writer clearly states he's traveling AT LEAST escape velocity, and then the next panel he's crashing back down to the ground.

To be fair, you still have to be pointed the right way for that to work. Barry hit the dude near vertical - its simply due to the curvature of the Earth at all that he ends up circling the atmosphere.

Yes I am applying logic to a scene wherein a dude accelerates to the speed of light to punch someone.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Is the CW doing election coverage? Two shirtless dudes reading results and Amell doing the salmon ladder in the background seems their speed

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

To be fair, you still have to be pointed the right way for that to work. Barry hit the dude near vertical - its simply due to the curvature of the Earth at all that he ends up circling the atmosphere.

Ignoring air resistance, 7 mi/sec is enough so long as you don't hit someone directly into the ground. The rotation of the Earth just adds or subtracts from your effective speed based on the angle, and hitting someone vertical it will exclusively add, while minimizing the air you pass through. He'd end up in an independent orbit around the sun.

Flash facts.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

MrFlibble posted:

Flashpoint causes an alternate universe where Tommy is the Arrow. :allears:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Astro Nut posted:

IIRC, he was from the 31st century, same as the Legion of Superheroes, though referred to Barry as 'Grandpa' because no way was he trying to spout off how many greats it took. Also far down enough in the family line that he was descended from both the Flash and Professor Zoom, the latter of whom came from closer to the... 25th century, I think. Also I believe he was actually chronologically a child because of age acceleration, and helping to shake off the excess energies causing that is how Wally got to know him.

No matter the age or era, the Flash is always silly.

Nah, Bart's actually his grandson. Iris and Barry spent a month together in the 30th century before Barry sacrificed himself in the Crisis(The how and why is a very, very long story) where Iris became pregnant with twins. The boy twin, Don, eventually had a son who he named after his dad, Bart Allen.

Bart technically only existed for two years but the secret government organization that was studying his super powers plugged him into a virtual reality box which kept up with his rapid aging so he's lived a "full" life that a 12 year old could live (Given his circumstances) even if the Earth only went around the Sun twice.

edit -- hm looks like someone already addressed this. Not sure why it needs a spoiler, I'm pretty sure Iris isn't a baby from the thirtieth century sent back in time for weird reasons in this show.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Whizbang posted:

I hate you so much.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Astro Nut posted:

Yes I am applying logic to a scene wherein a dude accelerates to the speed of light to punch someone.

To note, that is Wally punching the dude. Barry's never hit someone with the force of a white dwarf star, as I'm aware. He only came in after Johns took over the Flash and Johns made a point to kind of reign in Wally (And all the speedsters) from their really crazy stuff they did under Waid and Morrison.

One day Morrison will get a full run on The Flash and it will be amazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Whizbang posted:

I kinda hope they do the standard issue alternate universe where everyone's morality is flipped episode at some point. Heroic billionaire philanthropist Malcolm Merlyn, evil super-fast heist artist Barry Allen, a mysterious cyberterrorist with a tendency to ramble in a menacing, but charmingly befuddled manner.

Astro Nut posted:

They could also do it if they can work out a crossover deal with that Supergirl show that's being put together.

Also, weirdly, I think the Smallville episode with Bart Allen came before Johns wrote that book. Same basic scene, except it's all visual. Bart and Clark are playfully racing alongside each other... then Bart starts running BACKWARDS and keeping pace. Then he smirks and turns back around and is just FWOOOSH gone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Characters that i want to appear in either series:
Animal Man
Booster Gold (should show up once time travel starts being a big deal)
Blue Beetle (not just Ted Kord)
Plastic Man
The Doom Patrol

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

To note, that is Wally punching the dude. Barry's never hit someone with the force of a white dwarf star, as I'm aware. He only came in after Johns took over the Flash and Johns made a point to kind of reign in Wally (And all the speedsters) from their really crazy stuff they did under Waid and Morrison.

One day Morrison will get a full run on The Flash and it will be amazing.

Yeah, sorry about that. Goofed on the name, dunno why.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
First candid photo of Pied Piper [source]

No green? :doom: Probably didn't want anyone to confuse him with some other green douche in a hood.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

No green? :doom: Probably didn't want anyone to confuse him with some other green douche in a hood.

God that looks lame.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrianWilly posted:

The cloak's wither oddly shiny, or it's badly photoshopped. Could be either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

BrianWilly posted:

Some random goth kid probably just walked into frame v:shobon:v

• Locked thread