Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ship it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yay it did a thing it was designed to do! :neckbeard:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Somewhere in there, there is a fishing joke to be made.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Back Hack posted:

Somewhere in there, there is a fishing joke to be made.

if there is, Quint is the one telling it

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

That Works posted:

How many fatalities?

The USS Nimitz is going to be mothballed due to catastrophic damage to its flight deck.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Wow, just like a real plane!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
God, that single engine looks really weird landing on a carrier to me for some reason. Are there any other single-engine carrier planes?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think they meant to write that the Nimitz made its first tailhook landing on a F-35.

Because that turkey is so fat the Nimitz got wings in comparison :snoop:

e: As for single-engined carrier planes:
F-7 and the F-8.

And the Skyraider.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

God, that single engine looks really weird landing on a carrier to me for some reason. Are there any other single-engine carrier planes?

Harriers, Super Etendards. Used to be A-7s not toooo long ago.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
(Super) Etendard as well.

e;f;b

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Look at all you guys forgetting A-4s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pfff, look at you guys forgetting all those pre-ww2 carriers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah the X-47B :haw:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shooting Blanks posted:

What book is this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760339813

Here's the second 'poo poo himself' story, copied for your enjoyment:

After a quick visit to the dirty shirt for two bowls of chili, Hoser mans up on America for a training hop in the Med. Strange gurglings in his tank and sweat on the brow even before the cat shot.

After a tanker visit, pain and increasing pressure lead Hoser to question his ability to hold on until recovery. He groans to his backseater, Lance "Larue" Lauer, that he needs to land due to a pending sphincter valve failure.

Lance, renowned for his failing ears, just declares an emergency.

The Boss can't get the actual nature of the emergency out of the plane, but he plays it safe, turns the ship, and launches the SAR helo. As Hoser is dumping about 16k of fuel, his sphincter valve slams open for an uncommanded DUMPEX of its own.

A gruesome odor fills the cockpit and poor Larue goes to full oxygen as he calls the ball.

After a 2-wire, Hoser parks the mighty aircraft in record time, bolts down the ladder and disappears. There were tales of a flight suit being thrown over the side. Larue is also squadron safety officer, so he feels compelled to write up the valve failure for dissemination to the CAG and Air Boss.

Late at night the ever-faithful ops yeoman delivers it to communications.

Message duly received by Recon Wing One and CNAL. The whole fleet wound up having a laugh.

-----

Also, you guys forgot the T-45. That's a single-engine carrier-rated plane.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 5, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Are 2 engines that much of an advantage for a carrier plane? Genuinely curious, I don't know much about planes that don't take off from tarmac.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The idea is if you lose an engine the plane doesn't go splat in the water. The case for the F-35 is that engines these days are way more reliable than they used to be, to the point where situations which would cause you to lose one engine most likely will cause you to lose two engines (running out of gas, hitting a bunch of birds, whatever). I am not qualified to judge the truthfulness of that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Not a lot of options if the one engine fails..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The hilarious part being that the -35 already has a history of engine issues.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Mortabis posted:

The idea is if you lose an engine the plane doesn't go splat in the water. The case for the F-35 is that engines these days are way more reliable than they used to be, to the point where situations which would cause you to lose one engine most likely will cause you to lose two engines (running out of gas, hitting a bunch of birds, whatever). I am not qualified to judge the truthfulness of that.

The same philosophy is present in commercial aviation. For decades, 2-engine airliners were not flow transoceanic, they had to be 3 or 4 engine, but both the 777 and 787 are modern twin engine transcontinental airliners, so at some point that restriction was dropped.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
With the caveat that todays twin engine jets are certified to various ETOPS ratings for singel engine diversions after a failure.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Mortabis posted:

As pointed out previously, until somebody tried to make the Navy buy the F-16, they had no problem with single engine airframes (and, indeed, some single engine aircraft had lower combat and operations loss rates than twins). But, somebody DID try to make the Navy share an airframe with the Air Force (rather than the other way around) so suddenly it was utterly impossible, unimaginable, that a single engine aircraft (that wasn't an A-4, A-7, F-8, Skyray, Demon, or Spad) could fly off a carrier.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a reason why there's no small arms industry in modern Japan? They sure did make a lot of stuff during WWII. Other former Axis countries today have a pretty significant arms industries still.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a reason why there's no small arms industry in modern Japan? They sure did make a lot of stuff during WWII. Other former Axis countries today have a pretty significant arms industries still.

Ostentatious pacifism became a point of national consensus enshrined in their new constitution after the shithammering the US gave them in The War.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Maybe it's just that I don't like the rear-profile of the F-35. For whatever reason my brain doesn't like seeing that big engine squatting between two vertical stabilizers compared to any twin-engine jet or one stabilizer on top ala F-16.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Shaocaholica posted:

They do manufacture some small arms, I think, as well as some indigenous aircraft. They just don't export anything (though that's going to change, they just sold some bomb-rear end flying boats to India.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

StandardVC10 posted:

They do manufacture some small arms, I think, as well as some indigenous aircraft. They just don't export anything (though that's going to change, they just sold some bomb-rear end flying boats to India.)

I was just curious because Japanese design is usually very different from European and American in most industries so a modern indigenous Japanese gun would be kinda cool. If anything the Tavor could pass for Japanese.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I was just curious because Japanese design is usually very different from European and American in most industries so a modern indigenous Japanese gun would be kinda cool. If anything the Tavor could pass for Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howa_Type_89

They don't really sell it to anybody else. Howa did make some AR-18s back in the '70s, some of which made it to the US. And some companies have imported Japanese-manufactured shotguns at various times in the past couple decades, usually selling them under different brand names.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_equipment_of_the_Japan_Ground_Self-Defense_Force

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

Haha what

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Maybe it's just that I don't like the rear-profile of the F-35. For whatever reason my brain doesn't like seeing that big engine squatting between two vertical stabilizers compared to any twin-engine jet or one stabilizer on top ala F-16.

The VTOL variant looks like a dog taking a crap when in VTOL mode, which is the most accurate visualization of the f-35 possible.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Huh, I had no idea they flew Apaches, I always assumed that the JGSDF used some kind of home grown design like they do with their tanks.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007FIIC0

Here's the second 'poo poo himself' story, copied for your enjoyment:

After a quick visit to the dirty shirt for two bowls of chili, Hoser mans up on America for a training hop in the Med. Strange gurglings in his tank and sweat on the brow even before the cat shot.

After a tanker visit, pain and increasing pressure lead Hoser to question his ability to hold on until recovery. He groans to his backseater, Lance "Larue" Lauer, that he needs to land due to a pending sphincter valve failure.

Lance, renowned for his failing ears, just declares an emergency.

The Boss can't get the actual nature of the emergency out of the plane, but he plays it safe, turns the ship, and launches the SAR helo. As Hoser is dumping about 16k of fuel, his sphincter valve slams open for an uncommanded DUMPEX of its own.

A gruesome odor fills the cockpit and poor Larue goes to full oxygen as he calls the ball.

After a 2-wire, Hoser parks the mighty aircraft in record time, bolts down the ladder and disappears. There were tales of a flight suit being thrown over the side. Larue is also squadron safety officer, so he feels compelled to write up the valve failure for dissemination to the CAG and Air Boss.

Late at night the ever-faithful ops yeoman delivers it to communications.

Message duly received by Recon Wing One and CNAL. The whole fleet wound up having a laugh.

-----

Also, you guys forgot the T-45. That's a single-engine carrier-rated plane.
Don't forget the F3H Demon

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Don Gato posted:

Huh, I had no idea they flew Apaches, I always assumed that the JGSDF used some kind of home grown design like they do with their tanks.

I only learned they flew Apaches when they crashed one in a race against a ZR1 on Top Gear Japan.

Edit: Ok, nevermind. It was actually Korea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

Edit2: V Yeah that too, but I figured the video made that part clear.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 5, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That is not an Apache?

Now I know how the Air Force confused Blackhawks for Hinds.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Related: When Nature Calls in a Jet Fighter at 500 knots

"...fuckin' stinks up here, that's all I'm sayin."

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

That is not an Apache?

Now I know how the Air Force confused Blackhawks for Hinds.

They're both them whirlybird-type things, close enough :downs:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

For reals! Some of the final assembly will be in India apparently.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Humboldt Squid posted:

The VTOL variant looks like a dog taking a crap when in VTOL mode, which is the most accurate visualization of the f-35 possible.

Now I want a photoshop of an F-35 in hover mode replaced with a squatting dog. Something extra goofy while squatting like a greyhound.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Craptacular posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howa_Type_89

They don't really sell it to anybody else. Howa did make some AR-18s back in the '70s, some of which made it to the US. And some companies have imported Japanese-manufactured shotguns at various times in the past couple decades, usually selling them under different brand names.

I really love the weirdos who make it a point on to go on every goddamn japanese-related wiki page and translate the english there to whatever the hell asaruto-raifuru is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

right arm posted:

I really love the weirdos who make it a point on to go on every goddamn japanese-related wiki page and translate the english there to whatever the hell asaruto-raifuru is

Speaking of Japanese guns aren't howa rifles a big thing in precision shooting circles ?