Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

origami posted:

I haven't really dug anything Devy's done in years but I don't think being prolific, creative and on the road constantly with all the pressure of merchandising, being 'on' and having other people depend on you for their jobs is as easy as you think it is.

I didn't say it was easy at all. I said it wasn't harder than anyone else's hard job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
There are other factors though. If you are a stockbroker and don't like your company you can go to another company or parlay your experience into another position. What else can Devin really do?

You can go to school to be a stockbroker but you really can't get a degree in whatever music Devin is doing nowadays. I think constantly being creative and coming up with new stuff for years would be absolutely exhausting plus tack on all the time spent away from your family.

That doesn't even go into all the other people dependent on him.

I don't know I just thought it was kind of dismissive comparing him to a stockbroker or janitor. If I was Devin I would be having a panic attack everyday.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stock brokers are a bunch of pussies anyways. That might have been a bad comparison.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know what I just listened to but I know it thoroughly entertained me and immersed me.

But I will say that the chorus melody of Fallout is one of the best loving melodies I've ever heard. Goddamn.

SmejWorth
May 17, 2004

what! no muffin?!
Did anyone get the vinyl?

Maybe it isn't brickwalled to poo poo

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dark Matters is more like a radio play than a metal CD. I would argue this is the most ridiculous and over-the-top thing Devin's ever done and I love it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SmejWorth posted:

Did anyone get the vinyl?

Maybe it isn't brickwalled to poo poo

It isn't as bad as addicted. I don't think.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Hammer Floyd posted:

Dark Matters is more like a radio play than a metal CD. I would argue this is the most ridiculous and over-the-top thing Devin's ever done and I love it.

The entirety of the "Through the Wormhole" track is probably the weirdest/greatest stuff that I've heard, the Ziltoid commentary (my brother, etc) is just so cheesy. The whole CD is just a great listen, I think I've gone through twice since I got it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

21 Hoot Salute posted:

The more I listen to Sky Blue the more I fall in love with it. Ranks up there as top level Devin

Prior to releasing Synchestra, Dev referred to it as an album full of 'blisteringly heavy lullabies' and I totally get that feeling on this album too with many of the songs.
Seriously, Sky Blue is giving me serious Ocean Machine vibes and is easily one of the best things he's done in years. I haven't even listened to Dark Matters yet because I just keep looping this poo poo.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

For me Sky Blue is the cumulation of Ki, Ghost, Addicted!, Epicloud and to a lesser extent Deconstruction. I'm a huge dev fan and even I have to admit I was worried he was just out of ideas after Epicloud but then he drops his best album in years. Oh Dev :swoon:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I really haven't been listening to Dark Matters all that much. I pounded it for a few mornings, but it's Sky Blue that I keep returning to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah same. Like a lot of people here, I thought Sky Blue would be the throwaway one but it's MUCH better than Dark Matters imo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone else feel that Heatwave off Epiclouder is the ultimate road trip song ? Now, for me I usually play it while on my way back to Vancouver so it kinda hits close to home, however I wish Devin would do a full album in that southern twang type style. It's cheesy but fun.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

jonathan posted:

Does anyone else feel that Heatwave off Epiclouder is the ultimate road trip song ? Now, for me I usually play it while on my way back to Vancouver so it kinda hits close to home, however I wish Devin would do a full album in that southern twang type style. It's cheesy but fun.

I just re-listened to Epiclouder last week and Heatwave is just such an amazing song. Trainfire off of Ki has a similar style to it and yeah I could dig more of this stuff.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about The Mighty Masturbator off of Deconstruction? To over the top? Not over the top enough? Insufficient lovely 90s rave moments?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jonathan posted:

Not Heatwave in particular, but for me, DT makes the best road music. Listened to him a lot on a desert night drive between El Paso and Austin. It's punchy and upbeat, but also chilled-out and kind of Buddhist. It relaxes me but also keeps me awake and aware, like nicotine.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No matter how many times I listen to epicloud and epiclouder I can't remember a single song. Such forgettable album/albums.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Manuel Calavera posted:

What about The Mighty Masturbator off of Deconstruction? To over the top? Not over the top enough? Insufficient lovely 90s rave moments?

Deconstruction is my favorite Devin album, and a lot of it has to do with The Mighty Masturbator. The "rave" is one of my favorite moments in Dev's music catalog.

I have a dream to do a Halloween costume or cosplay based on the song. I imagine the Mighty Masturbator as being a superhero. White outfit, with an "MM" chest emblem. Maybe a red or blue cape over one shoulder, ala Shazam. Attached to my belt would be a bottle of Vasaline and a tissue dispenser. My left arm would be incredibly muscular compared to the rest of my body.

I want to do this so badly, but I have absolutely no reason to.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
There's just something about the wall of sound style that just sound amazing on car stereos. Ocean Machine is a great album for an hour long drive.

Speaking of, there was a reference in Sky Blue that I immediately recognized but couldn't place, but it clicked on the drive home yesterday. "Gone now in a field of green" near the end of Rain City is echoing the same line from the track Bastard on Ocean Machine.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 8, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

That rave moment is my favourite part of Deconstruction, no contest.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Deconstruction a concept album ? I watched a guitar clinic where he said that it's an over the top complex album that makes fun of ovr the top complex albums (Like that new dreamtheater album.) He also said that it's about a plague that is spread by farts.

Ok, so the title song has lots of toilet harmonics, but I'm failing to see where Planet of the Apes fits in with Deconstruction, etc.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

jonathan posted:

Is Deconstruction a concept album ? I watched a guitar clinic where he said that it's an over the top complex album that makes fun of ovr the top complex albums (Like that new dreamtheater album.) He also said that it's about a plague that is spread by farts.

Ok, so the title song has lots of toilet harmonics, but I'm failing to see where Planet of the Apes fits in with Deconstruction, etc.

Concept album is a pretty loosely defined term, I'd say Deconstruction(and honestly most of Devin's work) fits the bill.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

jonathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRo1ISss3Q

You should listen to the commentary of the album (music included), if you like this album you'll find it interesting.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Silent Militia sounds like something off of an Ayreon album.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
The leaked version of Silent Militia feels more rewarding to listen to. The release version gives everything away right at the start, where the leaked version blindsides you with ridiculous catchiness.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

god the end of Rain City into Forever just brings back that nostalgia feeling of old Devy, I love it

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Let's clamour for Sky Blue 2 for 7 years!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Nah, just Ocean Machine 2 on its twentieth anniversary. Two more years to go.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Chocobo posted:

Nah, just Ocean Machine 2 on its twentieth anniversary. Two more years to go.

I'll take an Ocean Machine tour where he performs the entire album, including The Death of Music :getin:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Stoat posted:

Let's clamour for Sky Blue 2 for 7 years!
So let's talk about how Sky Blue hasn't left the CD drive in my laptop since I put it there. Literally listened to half of Dark Matters and then left to go do something, swapped discs later and haven't finished DM yet. This poo poo is beyond brilliant, I can't even begin to have expectations for anything he does anymore because it all just blows me away

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Varg posted:

So let's talk about how Sky Blue hasn't left the CD drive in my laptop since I put it there. Literally listened to half of Dark Matters and then left to go do something, swapped discs later and haven't finished DM yet. This poo poo is beyond brilliant, I can't even begin to have expectations for anything he does anymore because it all just blows me away

I wonder which he prefers. Because Ziltoid 2 to me comes across as something he feels he had to do and Sky Blue is the album he's been trying to make for years.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
That's the impression I've had for a while. Dark Matters and Deconstruction felt like albums he thought he needed to make to satisfy part of his fan base that desired a return to heavy albums. Each one also happened to release alongside a second, lighter album and when you look at all of his recent work though you can see a pretty clear turn toward energetic stuff like Addicted or ambient stuff like Casualties.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fina posted:

That's the impression I've had for a while. Dark Matters and Deconstruction felt like albums he thought he needed to make to satisfy part of his fan base that desired a return to heavy albums. Each one also happened to release alongside a second, lighter album and when you look at all of his recent work though you can see a pretty clear turn toward energetic stuff like Addicted or ambient stuff like Casualties.

Yeah, I feel like this might be true.

I haven't really returned much to Dark Matters, but I keep spinning Sky Blue.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

He said in his guitar clinic tour recently that this album represented perseverance to him in that his drive to finish it came from the fact that he's started it and wanted to just see it end.

I think you could reasonably take that to mean that he felt it needed to exist as an end product but didn't particularly feel like he wanted to go through the creation process.

E: then again, Ki to him represents (in his words) being sober and being pissed off about not getting laid, but not too pissed off cause the kids are sleeping. So take that however you wish.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 19, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Silent Militia really sounds like any kmfdm song from the 90's. Just replace whats her name with lucia.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Made the trip up to Vancouver to see Devin headline at the Commodore. I've seen him a couple time but never in Vancouver. Definitely a great show. Potential setlist spoilers below.

Mostly Z2 stuff. A good mix of both albums.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Some March of the Poozer's live for you. Looks pretty awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_prJXzpeo

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 21, 2014

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

If you can go to this tour, loving do it. It's amazing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think what amazes me about Devin is that, being prolific is hard, being prolific and turning out stuff your audience generally likes is harder, and he does it while dealing with bipolar disorder, a condition I've seen affect people in such a way that holding down a part-time job is difficult to them (which is totally understandable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was in Vancouver while he played a show at the commodore a bunch of days ago. I didn't know he was playing or I would have went. Instead I was across the street at some bar called Joe's Apartment trying to get laid and failing.

• Locked thread