Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

I can speak to that; as of the last check, 356 bill passed in the House (I believe 50% of them unanimously) and are sitting on Harry Reid's desk. It's not a "do nothing" congress, the Dems are blocking just as much as the Repubs.

They are the majority, and I'll go out on a limb and say that House GOP proposals probably aren't going to get a majority of votes in the Senate. Not passing legislation isn't the same as blocking bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

ZenMaster posted:

I can speak to that; as of the last check, 356 bill passed in the House (I believe 50% of them unanimously) and are sitting on Harry Reid's desk. It's not a "do nothing" congress, the Dems are blocking just as much as the Repubs.

Sorry but lovely facebook/reddit comments aren't really going to fly here.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So less that 24 hours after the election was over and they were in the clear (both politically and in the news cycle) Michigan passed their "Rape Insurance" Bill into law.

I'm finding news articles saying this passed in December 2013 and March 2014. One article from March talks about how the law bans any abortions being covered by insurance unless the woman was raped. Did they add more into the bill?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

joeburz posted:

Sorry but lovely facebook/reddit comments aren't really going to fly here.

All I am saying is that you can't say they are doing nothing. That is all we hear from either side, back and forth.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ZenMaster posted:

Actually that's pretty much the normal amount of unpassed house bills. It's the number of Senate bills that have dramatically declined. You'll also note that a significant chunk of those house bills that got killed in the Senate, as well as the only time there was an actual abnormal spike in that happening, is when the House was majority Democrat, not Republican, meaning Republicans were blocking Democratic bills. Another 54 of those unhandled bills are "repeal Obamacare" which they know is a total nonstarter. So yeah, it is in fact the Republican's fault that not a thing is happening.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 6, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why won't the Senate pass those repeal ACA bills? Why, they're just as bad as the Republicans. Both sides are just as bad!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I'm finding news articles saying this passed in December 2013 and March 2014. One article from March talks about how the law bans any abortions being covered by insurance unless the woman was raped. Did they add more into the bill?

No, I just checked the date and I was repeating out dated stuff. A bunch of people on my Facebook page were posting it and I assumed it was new.

In something that has happened this week, Obama announced he's going to congress for an AUMF against ISIS.

Good that he's going to them for it, he should have all along, but postponing it until after the election is probably the most politically cynical thing he's done yet.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 6, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
That dastardly Harry Reid is denying debate for the Make Divorce Illegal and Also Enslave All the Mexicans Act of 2013!!!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I want to expand on the religious right point I made earlier because you can't really understand anything about politics today or in the recent past without understanding the link with the religious right.

There were essentially two new right movements in the 20th century. The first new right was the Goldwater movement. After Goldwater's defeat in 64 the Goldwater movement came the closest any modern political movement has come to being accurately described by the tired old cliche 'wandering the desert'. After Goldwater's loss they were all but driven out of the Republican party and it was essentially the end of the movement.

Some of the Goldwater people (e.g. Paul Weyrich) decided that in order to win they needed to enlist religious conservatives. This is the genesis of the second new right, the unholy union of (conservative) christianity and objectivism, and there's direct lineal descent from there to today's tea party/movement conservatism. Where Goldwater was concerned with economic libertarianism and isolationism, the second new right was concerned with 'states rights' as a code for reaction to the civil rights movement, foreign intervention on behalf of groups that the religious right feels affinity for, and social issues. Their first major victory was the defeat of the ERA.

Yes white v. black is still a thing, yes rich v. poor is still a thing, so is urban v. rural, but the strongest correlation of modern conservatism is with religiosity. Here's a map of religiosity by state:

Superimpose that map with the map of any recent election results. The correlation works all the way down to the county and district level. Where do Republicans do well? In states with the highest religiosity. Where do Democrats do well? In states with the lowest. Yeah, California's pretty liberal, but there's still racism and classism here. Guess what there's not a lot of? Religious conservatives. And guess where the religious conservatives are? In the inland and central valleys, not the coasts which are solidly blue.

If you want to know why people vote for a minimum wage increase but against the Democrat who supported it, it's because that's the message driven home every Sunday morning in church. If you want to know why people in KS would vote for a Governor that's dismantling their state - even when they themselves openly talk about that fact - that's what their pastor told them to do. Partisanship has been linked to the thing that people are *the* most tribal about, their religion, and it's become impossible for these people to vote for a Dem without feeling 'sinful'. Republican = religion = good, Democrat = anti-religion = bad.

This is all a lot of words when you could just repeat Obama's line about them clinging to guns and religion, but it's true. You'll be completely mystified by modern US politics if you forget this point.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

1) Leading off with accusing an entire party that enjoys huge support across the nation of racism is a bad move - again, you're attributing the actions of a few to the entire group and you'll only be met with "Not ALL conservatives are racist!" while you alienate your moderates and moderate conservatives who think calling everything racist is just Al Sharpton levels of obnoxious.

2) There's corruption in the Democratic party, too, so you're wanting to have your pot call their kettle black.

3) Again, the moderate/third-way/corporate Dems also support terrible policies for personal gain, as well as for fear of losses (see why Dems just settle with horrible banks that fund drug cartels).

4) Dems also use gerrymandering, the difference is only that the GOP gains in 2010 allowed them to abuse it most recently.

5) The Dems' attitude towards women is "Well obviously you'll vote for us, since we're the only ones fighting for your rights to an abortion!" as if all women care about are abortions. Also see: liberal slander against conservative women and conservative minorities ("Uncle Toms").

6) The conservative "deranged foreign policy" is being followed through by Obama.

7) Dems slander/libel their opponents as well.

8) Whose refusal to actually govern? You mean those Republican governors who actually govern? What does this even mean?

Your only valid points are: GOP attempts at voter suppression and GOP political brinksmanship (which, again, brinksmanship is a two-way street so Reid deserves blame here too).

And since Dems don't vote in midterms, good luck arguing that the GOP actively tried to suppress your non-existent voters. :v:

Yeah pretty much a good post.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Family Values posted:

I want to expand on the religious right point I made earlier because you can't really understand anything about politics today or in the recent past without understanding the link with the religious right.

There were essentially two new right movements in the 20th century. The first new right was the Goldwater movement. After Goldwater's defeat in 64 the Goldwater movement came the closest any modern political movement has come to being accurately described by the tired old cliche 'wandering the desert'. After Goldwater's loss they were all but driven out of the Republican party and it was essentially the end of the movement.

Some of the Goldwater people (e.g. Paul Weyrich) decided that in order to win they needed to enlist religious conservatives. This is the genesis of the second new right, the unholy union of (conservative) christianity and objectivism, and there's direct lineal descent from there to today's tea party/movement conservatism. Where Goldwater was concerned with economic libertarianism and isolationism, the second new right was concerned with 'states rights' as a code for reaction to the civil rights movement, foreign intervention on behalf of groups that the religious right feels affinity for, and social issues. Their first major victory was the defeat of the ERA.

Yes white v. black is still a thing, yes rich v. poor is still a thing, so is urban v. rural, but the strongest correlation of modern conservatism is with religiosity. Here's a map of religiosity by state:

Superimpose that map with the map of any recent election results. The correlation works all the way down to the county and district level. Where do Republicans do well? In states with the highest religiosity. Where do Democrats do well? In states with the lowest. Yeah, California's pretty liberal, but there's still racism and classism here. Guess what there's not a lot of? Religious conservatives. And guess where the religious conservatives are? In the inland and central valleys, not the coasts which are solidly blue.

If you want to know why people vote for a minimum wage increase but against the Democrat who supported it, it's because that's the message driven home every Sunday morning in church. If you want to know why people in KS would vote for a Governor that's dismantling their state - even when they themselves openly talk about that fact - that's what their pastor told them to do. Partisanship has been linked to the thing that people are *the* most tribal about, their religion, and it's become impossible for these people to vote for a Dem without feeling 'sinful'. Republican = religion = good, Democrat = anti-religion = bad.

This is all a lot of words when you could just repeat Obama's line about them clinging to guns and religion, but it's true. You'll be completely mystified by modern US politics if you forget this point.

I knew most of this already but it's a good post and people would do well to remember all this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Are you watching John Oliver's Last Week Tonight? Remember this guy from the last episode?

State Representative Mike Bost is now US Representative Mike Bost in Illinois' 12th Congressional District after defeating incumbent Democrat Bill Enyart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Are you watching John Oliver's Last Week Tonight? Remember this guy from the last episode?

State Representative Mike Bost is now US Representative Mike Bost in Illinois' 12th Congressional District after defeating incumbent Democrat Bill Enyart.

Doesn't he know the legislation can still get to him there too :ohdear:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Another reminder that IL outside of cook county is as much concentrated garbage as any other rural southern state.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

That's why John Oliver's show is infinitely better than Stewart or Colbert, because Oliver showed literally every single worst case scenario and they all came true. :lol: @ Jon Daily's attempt to throw a bone to progressive 18 year olds in Texas.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Taibbi is back with Rolling Stone and has a new piece out on JP Morgan Chase

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-9-billion-witness-20141106

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I believe he didn't have the votes for it (from older senators), but I don't know the whole story.

Pretty much this. The long-term Senators (Levin in particular) were still stuck in collegiality mode, while younger Senators were pretty much ready to go. So it took a bit of time to sell the older generation on the idea.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

That's why John Oliver's show is infinitely better than Stewart or Colbert, because Oliver showed literally every single worst case scenario and they all came true. :lol: @ Jon Daily's attempt to throw a bone to progressive 18 year olds in Texas.

Mike Bost getting elected is not a worst case scenario when he provides videos such as that one :colbert:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

I love John Oliver and his show. Stewart and Colbert are old news.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

That dastardly Harry Reid is denying debate for the Make Divorce Illegal and Also Enslave All the Mexicans Act of 2013!!!

That is simply untrue. There are a number of bills that try to make it harder to obtain divorces (Iowa, Oklahoma), but not one of them outlaws it. It seems to be a way to try and get people to work out there differences and keep families together. You may disagree with the spirit of the law, but you are overstating it to scare people. "Oh my word, Repubs want to outlaw divorce! Vote Democrat!"

Even the Bible itself allows for divorce, so even if you think they are crazy right wing bible-thumpers, divorce has never been or will ever be outlawed.

I can't find the bill that makes Mexican slaves, but I tried. Which one is it? (Not being facetious, if it's out there, I want to know.)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Family Values posted:

Then find a way to connect to them! Why do you think I say make deals with the Huckabee types? Why else do you think I talk about allying with populists? Its because Progressivism cannot do this by itself. Also you want to have actual leftwing groups? Build them. Yeah it takes time and effort but the reason why the left fails, and lets a bunch of cowards run the dems is because they have let such shits run the party into the ground. THey have no infrastructure to overthrow such loving cowards. Also yes this will involve declaring war on part of the party. That was how progressives originally did it, they got rid of the corrupt plutocrats. I will say if you don't even try to build an actual movement than you do actually deserve the wreck the tea party degenerates and other sociopaths leave of the country.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Then find a way to connect to them! Why do you think I say make deals with the Huckabee types? Why else do you think I talk about allying with populists? Its because Progressivism cannot do this by itself. Also you want to have actual leftwing groups? Build them. Yeah it takes time and effort but the reason why the left fails, and lets a bunch of cowards run the dems is because they have let such shits run the party into the ground. THey have no infrastructure to overthrow such loving cowards. Also yes this will involve declaring war on part of the party. That was how progressives originally did it, they got rid of the corrupt plutocrats. I will say if you don't even try to build an actual movement than you do actually deserve the wreck the tea party degenerates and other sociopaths leave of the country.

Have you seen how Huckabee has been acting lately? Unless the Dems throw gays under the bus, there is no way he will accept any deal with them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You can't ally with "populists" because "populists" are an inherently amorphous group of people who have wildly varying causes. What constitutes the general populist feeling in one area of a state is often different than from another area of the same state, let alone the nation at large or other states.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can't ally with "populists" because "populists" are an inherently amorphous group of people who have wildly varying causes. What constitutes the general populist feeling in one area of a state is often different than from another area of the same state, let alone the nation at large or other states.

Lets see here, do the majority of people still think the degenerates got away with the crash of 2008? Run with that? Do the majority of people think they deserve a better chance and would like to see some initiatives so that they actually have some extra cash? Run with that? Do people hate the condition of the roads (due to the fact we will to spend money on infrastructure)? Run with that. Do most people ho arn't filthy suburbanites know that the minimum wage is a farce and should be raised? Run with that. These are all ways you can win converts, from across racial Identities. If you don't even try then you deserve to fail.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Look, the problem with cutting taxes is that you are going to suffer short-term losses in revenues. When you raise taxes you think you've got a windfall. Then in a few years, you’re Detroit. Kansas, by contrast, is going to do very well. Kansas City is going to be located in Kansas, not Missouri, if you give it a couple years." ~ Art Laffer, celebrating Brownback's victory.

:allears:

Kansas really does deserve everything they get.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “It’s amazing what $35 can do. As I’ve been saying, if we only spent $75, $80, we might’ve won the race." ~ Bob Healey, who received 22% of the vote in the Rhode Island Gubernatorial election after spending $35 total on his campaign. His manifesto is titled If I Were King of the Forest.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Taibbi is back with Rolling Stone and has a new piece out on JP Morgan Chase

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-9-billion-witness-20141106

As usual, good stuff

edit:

"Fleischmann assumed this letter, which Chase lawyers would later jokingly nickname "The Howler" after the screaming missive from the Harry Potter books, would be enough to force the bank to stop selling the bad loans. "It used to be if you wrote a memo, they had to stop, because now there's proof that they knew what they were doing," she says. "But when the Justice Department doesn't do anything, that stops being a deterrent. I just didn't know that at the time."

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 6, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also right now the populist party is the Tea Party. Good luck getting them Hillary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowsbeak posted:

Lets see here, do the majority of people still think the degenerates got away with the crash of 2008? Run with that? Do the majority of people think they deserve a better chance and would like to see some initiatives so that they actually have some extra cash? Run with that? Do people hate the condition of the roads (due to the fact we will to spend money on infrastructure)? Run with that. Do most people ho arn't filthy suburbanites know that the minimum wage is a farce and should be raised? Run with that. These are all ways you can win converts, from across racial Identities. If you don't even try then you deserve to fail.

What you don't understand is that half the people you're trying to reach think the degenerates were those darn poors who forced those honest bankers into making bad loans. That a lot of them think the best way to have better roads is to privatize them and let the private operator take all the revenue. That tons of them still don't think minimum wages should be raised.

Essentially you don't get what populism is: it's nothing. It's a tag some people embrace as part of their branding that can also be a slur against someone else.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Also right now the populist party is the Tea Party. Good luck getting them Hillary.

2:1 as a result of '14 she'll try.

She'll try, and go with a Latino.

We really need a Hillary emote akin to laying down a banana peel and then slipping on it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “It’s amazing what $35 can do. As I’ve been saying, if we only spent $75, $80, we might’ve won the race." ~ Bob Healey, who received 22% of the vote in the Rhode Island Gubernatorial election after spending $35 total on his campaign. His manifesto is titled If I Were King of the Forest.

haha looks like he got 40% of the vote in 2010 lt. gov election running on a platform of abolishing the office. wrap it up vermin supremailures, this guy is the troll candidate america needs

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

2:1 as a result of '14 she'll try.

She'll try, and go with a Latino.

We really need a Hillary emote akin to laying down a banana peel and then slipping on it.

Hillary will move to the center but she's not dumb enough to try and move to the far right or reach out to the loving Tea Party.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

What you don't understand is that half the people you're trying to reach think the degenerates were those darn poors who forced those honest bankers into making bad loans. That a lot of them think the best way to have better roads is to privatize them and let the private operator take all the revenue. That tons of them still don't think minimum wages should be raised.

Essentially you don't get what populism is: it's nothing. It's a tag some people embrace as part of their branding that can also be a slur against someone else.

Yeah its not the poor who want to privatize the roads, tons don't think the minimum wage be raised? Yes thats why the minimum wage got raised in Red states. I will agree on the first, although I have generally encountered ahatred of both the "poors" and the "fatcats:.

Also whats the problem with using slurs? If it wins you votes than you should embrace it. Politics requires total war and nothing should be out of the question when it comes to victory.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ninjasaurus posted:

Hillary will move to the center but she's not dumb enough to try and move to the far right or reach out to the loving Tea Party.

It's 3 AM. A phone rings at the home of a DC consultant. The crosstabs are looking bad.

Who can you trust to correct the crosstabs?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Good. He sucks at this job, who takes over will tell a lot about if the party learned anything from Tuesday.

Its gonna be Marc Penn and then won't YOU feel stupid.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Amergin posted:

1) Leading off with accusing an entire party that enjoys huge support across the nation of racism is a bad move - again, you're attributing the actions of a few to the entire group and you'll only be met with "Not ALL conservatives are racist!" while you alienate your moderates and moderate conservatives who think calling everything racist is just Al Sharpton levels of obnoxious.

2) There's corruption in the Democratic party, too, so you're wanting to have your pot call their kettle black.

3) Again, the moderate/third-way/corporate Dems also support terrible policies for personal gain, as well as for fear of losses (see why Dems just settle with horrible banks that fund drug cartels).

4) Dems also use gerrymandering, the difference is only that the GOP gains in 2010 allowed them to abuse it most recently.

5) The Dems' attitude towards women is "Well obviously you'll vote for us, since we're the only ones fighting for your rights to an abortion!" as if all women care about are abortions. Also see: liberal slander against conservative women and conservative minorities ("Uncle Toms").

6) The conservative "deranged foreign policy" is being followed through by Obama.

7) Dems slander/libel their opponents as well.

8) Whose refusal to actually govern? You mean those Republican governors who actually govern? What does this even mean?

Your only valid points are: GOP attempts at voter suppression and GOP political brinksmanship (which, again, brinksmanship is a two-way street so Reid deserves blame here too).

And since Dems don't vote in midterms, good luck arguing that the GOP actively tried to suppress your non-existent voters. :v:

Yeah, especially that last point! Don't say things about other parties, it's not polite (unless it is me, Amergin, doing it!)

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah its not the poor who want to privatize the roads, tons don't think the minimum wage be raised? Yes thats why the minimum wage got raised in Red states. I will agree on the first, although I have generally encountered ahatred of both the "poors" and the "fatcats:.

Also whats the problem with using slurs? If it wins you votes than you should embrace it. Politics requires total war and nothing should be out of the question when it comes to victory.

Are you serious?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

joeburz posted:

Another reminder that IL outside of cook county is as much concentrated garbage as any other rural southern state.

Even in Cook, it can get pretty conservative pretty quick. I live in Cook, before redistricting we were so red we elected Joe "Jim Crow is the perfect fix for I/P" Walsh for state Rep, and only stopped voting for him because we were redistricted to Tom Morrison instead. And we're not the only district like that in CC, we're just one of the worst.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

Acting like unhinged hillbillies who "don't take kindly ta yer type round heya boy!:clint:" and waxing the knobs of corporate oligarchs don't make you populist party. They make you a loving idiot.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah, especially that last point! Don't say things about other parties, it's not polite (unless it is me, Amergin, doing it!)

You can say things about other parties, but if your solutions to the "Democratic Party Problem" are to make a bunch of hypocritical statements against the other party, well, I doubt that'll work out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowsbeak posted:

Plenty of poor people have voted in favor of privatizing roads in the past, or in favor of candidates who went on to privatize roads. Also a lot of those red states didn't raise their minimums until years after other states already had. Many ofthem woul dnot support raising it again in the next election.

Calling yourself a populist is a dangerous game to play, because it easily leads to being an albatross 'round your neck.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's 3 AM. A phone rings at the home of a DC consultant. The crosstabs are looking bad.

Who can you trust to correct the crosstabs?

I believe you mean a phone rings at 3 AM at 1111 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA

• Locked thread