Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
His name sounds like some kind of obscure racial slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Concordat posted:

His name sounds like some kind of obscure racial slur.

I ain't goin' to that store, too many noojes in that neighborhood

Edit: A character with a similarly stupid costume in the game calls him "Noojie-Woojie"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Grizlor posted:

I ain't goin' to that store, too many noojes in that neighborhood

Edit: A character with a similarly stupid costume in the game calls him "Noojie-Woojie"

Said Character gets a massage from Yuna.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
X-2 is uh, a little awkward to say the least.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Silegna posted:

Said Character gets a massage from Yuna.

Said massage is a mini-game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, sorry for going MIA. To be perfectly honest it's because season 2014 of LoL is ending and after 8 months of not playing my team realized we can fight for the top 3 again.

Not a noble cause, but if it's any consolation I got plenty of stuff ready to post when this is over.

It's all because you guys had to do the Mordekaiser jokes.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 6, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

Hey guys, sorry for going MIA. To be perfectly honest it's because season 2014 of LoL is ending and after 8 months of not playing my team realized we can fight for the top 3 again.
It's cool, brah. We know that when the dev studio cracks the whip, you gotta hustle. iirc Kinetic Void, right?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

It's cool, brah. We know that when the dev studio cracks the whip, you gotta hustle. iirc Kinetic Void, right?

Not working for KV anymore. I want to announce (not launch) my own RPG by January, something I've been working solo for the past year. Well, mostly solo, had a friend do some of the soundtrack. It's what's been taking most of my time this year.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Elentor posted:

Not working for KV anymore. I want to announce (not launch) my own RPG by January, something I've been working solo for the past year. Well, mostly solo, had a friend do some of the soundtrack. It's what's been taking most of my time this year.

Hope you'll share some deets about your game when you can! I bet it's gonna be rad.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Elentor posted:

:swoon:

I don't think anyone will mind a little delay in updates if you're making something original. Looking forward to it!

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I hope there will be a FFVII LP Supporter's discount when it is released!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

You mean its a chance I might get to play an RPG with writing from someone who not only talks to people, but from someone who can explain things well?

I'm dead right now arent I?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
World Premier in Final Fantasy VII LP! Order before the formal announcement to get 10% off!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

revtoiletduck posted:

I haven't thought about this, but it makes sense. So far I've only focused on the development and the game itself. I didn't want to announce anything too early.

waah posted:

You mean its a chance I might get to play an RPG with writing from someone who not only talks to people, but from someone who can explain things well?

Hey there's always the chance I make it bad.

Sade posted:

Hope you'll share some deets about your game when you can! I bet it's gonna be rad.

Sure.
* It's a SNES Era Type RPG. At first I wanted to make a PSX-Era but to be 100% honest it's a bit too much for me to work solo (graphics-wise) and it would take an unreasonable amount of time at the quality I wanted. For example, this is one of the assets I had done. At some point I realized that while I'm fairly fast at modeling, I'd need external help with the art and I'm keeping it solo for now.
* It's in a fantasy environment. There are medieval elements but it's not "medieval fantasy". There are lots of modern elements.
* It's character-driven. I want to focus a bit more on the individual characters than some grand save the world story. Some of the fantasy elements integrate into it.

I'll post a bit more later on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elentor posted:

* It's a SNES Era Type RPG. At first I wanted to make a PSX-Era but to be 100% honest it's a bit too much for me to work solo (graphics-wise) and it would take an unreasonable amount of time at the quality I wanted. For example, this is one of the assets I had done. At some point I realized that while I'm fairly fast at modeling, I'd need external help with the art and I'm keeping it solo for now.
* It's in a fantasy environment. There are medieval elements but it's not "medieval fantasy". There are lots of modern elements.
* It's character-driven. I want to focus a bit more on the individual characters than some grand save the world story. Some of the fantasy elements integrate into it.

I am suddenly incredibly interested in this.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

waah posted:

He's...making an RPG? This is awesome. Mind sharing what program you're using? I've been planning to make one myself, and I've been using RPG VX Ace.

Elentor posted:

I haven't thought about this, but it makes sense. So far I've only focused on the development and the game itself. I didn't want to announce anything too early.

Hey there's always the chance I make it bad.

Sure.

I'll post a bit more later on.
So it's sprite based then?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silegna posted:

He's...making an RPG? This is awesome. Mind sharing what program you're using? I've been planning to make one myself, and I've been using RPG VX Ace.

So it's sprite based then?

No, it will be 3D, but top-view and tile-based like a classic RPG. I promise it won't look very weird.

As for the program I'm using Unity.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Elentor posted:

No, it will be 3D, but top-view and tile-based like a classic RPG. I promise it won't look very weird.

As for the program I'm using Unity.

The Unity Engine huh. So...by 3D with topdown...something like Digimon World 4? Also, isn't Unity kinda the go to engine for Indie Games?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Silegna posted:

The Unity Engine huh. So...by 3D with topdown...something like Digimon World 4? Also, isn't Unity kinda the go to engine for Indie Games?

Used to be. If you follow the Game Dev thread, you'll see a lot of love for what Epic has done with the Unreal Engine, both in making it affordable for pretty much everyone, and having put out a ton of updates lately. Epic is trying really hard to knock Unity off as the premier small dev / budget game engine.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silegna posted:

Like Garrand said, UE4 is pretty good right now. I stick to Unity because I already know it, and also because Unity does offer me some stuff that Unreal doesn't (yet).

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Elentor posted:

Like Garrand said, UE4 is pretty good right now. I stick to Unity because I already know it, and also because Unity does offer me some stuff that Unreal doesn't (yet).

Ah. I only know that a lot of Indie Developers use Unity.
I know it's used a lot for Slender and such.
I plan on making a sprite based game, so I guess RPG VX Ace is the best bet for me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silegna posted:

Ah. I only know that a lot of Indie Developers use Unity.
I know it's used a lot for Slender and such.
I plan on making a sprite based game, so I guess RPG VX Ace is the best bet for me.

I didn't know they still made RPG Makers. Unity has added some 2D support, but I haven't tested it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Elentor posted:

I didn't know they still made RPG Makers. Unity has added some 2D support, but I haven't tested it.

Came out in 2012, but they still support it. Every so often they add new things to it, though it's scripting system is hard to wrap my head around, I think it's RGSS3.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

revtoiletduck posted:

It's like a kickstarter, but based on how old your first post in the thread is and how seldom you posted spoilers.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Since your new project is the topic of the day, Elentor, I'd like to ask what software you're using to model the characters, for curiosity's sake. I've heard ZBrush (as opposed to Maya or Blender among others) isn't too good for creating animated character models. Is that still true?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Now I'm excited for so many reasons. Looking forward to hearing about your game, Elentor! :D

e: Also holy gently caress how did I miss that dagger. That's insane sir. Bravo.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 11, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That knife is damned sexy and so is that shader. You have some serious, serious graphical chops and I commend and admire you for that.

I Cannot wait for the announcement.
if you dont mind me asking whats the artstyle going to be like?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

andipossess posted:

Since your new project is the topic of the day, Elentor, I'd like to ask what software you're using to model the characters, for curiosity's sake. I've heard ZBrush (as opposed to Maya or Blender among others) isn't too good for creating animated character models. Is that still true?

I use ZBrush and Maya LT 2015. The latest version of Maya LT isn't as anemic as the previous.

ZBrush is pretty good and is the go-to for every AAA developer to make character models (even LoL in-game characters are made in ZBrush) as long as you know the pipeline. The problem is that even if ZBrush didn't have such a huge skill cap it is a pretty esoteric program. But it is doable, you can even do the model from start on ZBrush nowadays that you can still end up with something workable.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That knife is damned sexy and so is that shader. You have some serious, serious graphical chops and I commend and admire you for that.

I Cannot wait for the announcement.
if you dont mind me asking whats the artstyle going to be like?

Hey, thanks. It's gonna be cartoony, but probably not the way you think when you read cartoony nowadays (not WoW-like). I'm mostly going for an interpretation of SD that I think would be how, say, a "grittier" RPG like FFVI would look like if made today.

It's hard to explain, it'll be easier to understand when I show some screenshots.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
That dagger is insane. You could pause it at any point and call it done and it just keeps getting better.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

George posted:

It's like a kickstarter, but based on how old your first post in the thread is and how seldom you posted spoilers.

On that note, if you are planning on Kickstarting it, please post when the Kickstarter goes up. I'd love the chance to back something like this.

And yeah, holy gently caress that dagger. It's not news, but your graphical/modeling skills are way smexy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Elentor posted:

:stare: woof I don't think I've ever been so interested in an RPG game before, that is a pretty awesome dagger

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

In other news (that is several years old), a FF7 remake has finally been released. :v:

In all seriousness, this is some dedication, and I'm impressed with what the guy has done.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I've been, off and on for the last few months, playing along using the LP as my 100% (or nearly...I gave up on Fort Condor) guide. I...just caught up with the thread. :( Thank you so much for all your work, Elentor! I look forward to your finishing off Disk 2, and then the game!

EDIT: by the way, after years of people telling me that this game didn't hold up, I've had fantastic fun. Bred a Golden Chocobo and all. I've gotten somewhat involved with the plot, even...I really want to kill Hojo. I have no idea what happens between now and the final boss fight...I do get to kill Hojo, right? Please let me kill Hojo.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 18, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I've been, off and on for the last few months, playing along using the LP as my 100% (or nearly...I gave up on Fort Condor) guide. I...just caught up with the thread. :( Thank you so much for all your work, Elentor! I look forward to your finishing off Disk 2, and then the game!

EDIT: by the way, after years of people telling me that this game didn't hold up, I've had fantastic fun. Bred a Golden Chocobo and all. I've gotten somewhat involved with the plot, even...I really want to kill Hojo. I have no idea what happens between now and the final boss fight...I do get to kill Hojo, right? Please let me kill Hojo.

It doesn't hold up the best, graphically, and the translation is definitely sketch, but the game isn't terrible or anything. And as noted earlier in this thread, a lot of sections of this game wouldn't work with "updated", realistic graphics, such as the Wall Market cross-dressing bit.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

morallyobjected posted:

It doesn't hold up the best, graphically, and the translation is definitely sketch, but the game isn't terrible or anything. And as noted earlier in this thread, a lot of sections of this game wouldn't work with "updated", realistic graphics, such as the Wall Market cross-dressing bit.

I've been doing the Steam version, so the translation's fine. The graphics are silly, but don't really bother me at all, other than leaving me with the question I've had for fifteen years of why Final Fantasy VIII looks so much better despite coming out on the same system.

I think I'll bash my head in against Emerald and Ultimate Weapon for a while while waiting for Elentor to continue the plot. They should be beatable, though I've gotten wrecked pretty badly by Emerald.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Little Big Planet is the only version I've seen where the graphics stand a chance of staying true to the original feel

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Patter Song posted:

I've been doing the Steam version, so the translation's fine. The graphics are silly, but don't really bother me at all, other than leaving me with the question I've had for fifteen years of why Final Fantasy VIII looks so much better despite coming out on the same system.

I'm guessing the PS1 was new and they didn't know what the gently caress. And I also kind of think FFVII looks better today than FFVIII. It doesn't try to look realistic so you don't notice they failed at trying.

And I'm pretty sure you mention things we haven't seen yet in the second row.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Patter Song posted:

The game was originally planned for the N64. Plus it was in development before the PSX was even released.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

In other news (that is several years old), a FF7 remake has finally been released. :v:

In all seriousness, this is some dedication, and I'm impressed with what the guy has done.

These loss.jpg edits are getting really technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Man with Hat posted:

I'm guessing the PS1 was new and they didn't know what the gently caress. And I also kind of think FFVII looks better today than FFVIII. It doesn't try to look realistic so you don't notice they failed at trying.

And I'm pretty sure you mention things we haven't seen yet in the second row.

Nah, Elentor pointed out Ultimate chilling on the world map last update.

• Locked thread