Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Then your last four of your social security was your pin. Seems like you are reaching a bit here. I have always been asked for my account pin when I called in.

I don't know how it is reaching to say that I had no idea I had something called a billing password and would be confused if someone asked for it by that name.

I know you work for Verizon, but you have admit it's pretty dumb to explicitly tell customers DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY PASSWORDS and then have something that's called password in the name that's required for reps to do anything. Just call it something else.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Afaik you only have a billing pin if you have an authorized user. If you don't then it's just your last 4

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deep Winter posted:

It's $30 normally, $20 promotionally on new lines, and old lines can add discount through customer service or my Verizon. The calculator probably just hadn't been updated.
How can you add the discount on old lines using My Verizon? Not seeing any semi-obvious way.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Good luck to you. I wouldn't be laughing though. Call them up, "ripping off people" is not a practice.

Edit: Why not go back to that website and check it. Maybe they would accept a screenshot of it saying it is off.

After finally getting into call center they gave me an email to use. I gave the info and used that website linked with a screenshot. A few days later they issued the full gift card amount of $200.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI for anyone that got a recent VoLTE update and added Advanced Calling to your plan. Adding advanced calling turned on basic (free) visual voicemail which voids out all forwarding. So, if you were forwarding to Google Voice like I was to utilize that voicemail, it will stop working and people will get a "This voice mailbox is not configured" error. You have to re-setup the forwards again.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Speaking of VoLTE, has anyone got it to work? If so, was it even discernable (the difference)?

Curious cause I cant seem to get it to work right, or I just have people with lovely old phones in my contacts.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kinkouin posted:

Speaking of VoLTE, has anyone got it to work? If so, was it even discernable (the difference)?

Curious cause I cant seem to get it to work right, or I just have people with lovely old phones in my contacts.
I haven't experienced it personally but it is supposed to be very noticible.

For VoLTE to work both parties must be within LTE coverage, have phones that support it AND have the feature turned on in their accounts. It is not turned on by default. You can call CS or change it online. Verizon branding for VoLTE is 'Advanced Calling 1.0' so look for that.

Currently the following devices support VoLTE (if they have the latest software updates):
  • iPhone 6/6+
  • Droid Mini/Maxx/Ultra
  • LG G2
  • Samsung S5

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

this sweet move posted:

For VoLTE to work both parties must be within LTE coverage, have phones that support it AND have the feature turned on in their accounts. It is not turned on by default. You can call CS or change it online. Verizon branding for VoLTE is 'Advanced Calling 1.0' so look for that.

Currently the following devices support VoLTE (if they have the latest software updates):
  • iPhone 6/6+
  • Droid Mini/Maxx/Ultra
  • LG G2
  • Samsung S5

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of hoops to do on the website, and then you have to check on your phone to see if that checkbox is enabled. Had to do it for my S5.

It does seem silly that the connection wont drop down to 3G if you accidentally walk out of range of LTE though. People have reported it just cutting off.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kinkouin posted:

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of hoops to do on the website, and then you have to check on your phone to see if that checkbox is enabled. Had to do it for my S5.

It does seem silly that the connection wont drop down to 3G if you accidentally walk out of range of LTE though. People have reported it just cutting off.

That how it do.

Advanced Calling 1.0 FAQ posted:

Q: Will my call be handed off automatically when I move from 3G to 4G LTE and vice versa?

A: If your call is started on the 3G network and you move to a 4G coverage area, your call will continue as a CDMA call. However, if your call is started on the 4G network and you move to a 3G coverage area, your call will drop.

I doubt this is going to change when resources are better spent expanding LTE until CDMA can retire.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's something they could probably technically solve if they threw enough money and equipment at it, but the CDMA network is being sunset completely in less than 7 years. It's more cost efficient and a better long term investment to build out the LTE network to cover the full 1xRTT area.

Verizon and AT&T are also in talks right now to have cross carrier VoLTE calls.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Ohh I think I understand what they are saying about the basic phones, and the calculator actually is updated. They seem to have replaced the edge $10/month discount on basic phones with a flat $10/month discount whether or not you have edge or out of contract status. Is that right? If so I'll probably switch now, since I was just waiting for my basic phones lines to come out of contract.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

this sweet move posted:

• iPhone 6/6+
  • Droid Mini/Maxx/Ultra
  • LG G2
  • Samsung S5

So I thought that this was the case, but it seems like "HD Voice" is what requires both of you to be Verizon VoLTE users, and HD Voice is a superset of VoLTE. After enabling VoLTE, I was able to call a landline using my iPhone 6 and still have LTE data access at the same time.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

So I thought that this was the case, but it seems like "HD Voice" is what requires both of you to be Verizon VoLTE users, and HD Voice is a superset of VoLTE. After enabling VoLTE, I was able to call a landline using my iPhone 6 and still have LTE data access at the same time.

Phones accessing data while on calls isn't a new thing. :confused:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Super Dude posted:

Phones accessing data while on calls isn't a new thing. :confused:

It is for Verizon IPhones. In the past they couldn't do both simultaneously.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Is there any way to change my family plan to more everything, without my line losing its unlimited data? Or am I just out of luck?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Syle187 posted:

Is there any way to change my family plan to more everything, without my line losing its unlimited data? Or am I just out of luck?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rest of your family can move to the new plan, but you would stay on your previous plan. You can't use any subsidies on your line.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I hope there is a soak test for Lollipop on the Turbo soon, I want to play with it.

I know better, but I can dream...

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Super Dude posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rest of your family can move to the new plan, but you would stay on your previous plan. You can't use any subsidies on your line.

More Everything is account level, so all the phones would change.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

kensei posted:

I hope there is a soak test for Lollipop on the Turbo soon, I want to play with it.

I know better, but I can dream...

If the Moto X has it already, dare to dream.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Deep Winter posted:

They've been able to do this since LTE was released grandpa.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I just got off the phone with the Verizon trade-in number, and the woman I talked to informed me that I'm not in their system, at all. It's as if I never signed up for the trade at all, although it was the first step I took when ordering my 6. Do I have any options here, besides calling customer service? I'm hosed, aren't I?

Edit: That's weird. They keep saying I'm not in their system, but I found my original email with my submission ID and price quote in it. Anyway, the guy on the phone says I've got until December 31 to send it back, and he's mailed me another shipping thinger in the meantime.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 8, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

vyst posted:

They've been able to do this since LTE was released grandpa.

On Verizon, they haven't been able to.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm on Verizon, and I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate. It was a problem with the iPhone 5 actually, and not other LTE-enabled phones.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Android phones have had this feature since LTE was released (and battery life suffered as a result of both radios going at once) but iPhones haven't had that ability until now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

vyst posted:

I'm on Verizon, and I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate. It was a problem with the iPhone 5 actually, and not other LTE-enabled phones.

There was no simultaneous voice and data on the 5s, either, on both Verizon and Sprint.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/11/iphone-5s-and-5c-will-not-allow-simultaneous-data-and-voice-on-verizon-or-sprint/

It didn't work on the 6 until I added the feature to my account and turned on VoLTE in the settings.

Other Android phones had this feature since LTE was a thing, but this was an engineering trade off Apple made. The Anandtech link in that techcrunch post explains the RF engineering inside baseball.

By the way, the Droid Turbo doesn't do simultaneous voice and data and won't do it until a VoLTE patch hits before the year is up, apparently.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

vyst posted:

Deep Winter and I both sell Verizon and iPhones and can definitely confirm that the 5S does not do simultaneous voice and data. It's even mentioned in multiple reviews, including this one:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424245,00.asp

"And just like other Verizon iPhones, this model can't do simultaneous voice and data; while our other Editors' Choice, the Galaxy S4, can."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok, add iphone 5s to the list whatever. I'm just saying my Galaxy S3, S4, S5 could do it just fine so you can't make a blanket statement like "You need VoLTE to do simultaneous voice and data" so sorry for missing the few iphone versions that do not, which based on my research was an Apple design decision not a Verizon issue.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

vyst posted:

Ok, add iphone 5s to the list whatever. I'm just saying my Galaxy S3, S4, S5 could do it just fine so you can't make a blanket statement like "You need VoLTE to do simultaneous voice and data" so sorry for missing the few iphone versions that do not, which based on my research was an Apple design decision not a Verizon issue.

Deep Winter posted:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

vyst posted:

I think you are getting your people mixed up.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Deep Winter posted:

I think you are getting your people mixed up.

I am I think. Me and you are on the same page. FordWhatever just irked out because I neglected the 5s in my comment when i mentioned the 5. Dumb argument I'll concede.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

vyst posted:

I am I think. Me and you are on the same page. FordWhatever just irked out because I neglected the 5s in my comment when i mentioned the 5. Dumb argument I'll concede.

vyst posted:

So, by "iPhone 5" you meant it and all in it's line, including the 5s and 5c? We were specifically talking about iPhones, and the 5 series was the only LTE iPhone series at the time. I mean you concede, but I don't want you thinking your argument made any sense. :psyboom:

Different subject! Rumour has it Verizon is changing the ETF. Now it's something like, $350 for the six months, -10/m for the next 10 months, -20 for the next 6 months, then stopping at a flat rate. Something like that.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 8, 2014

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Alright, thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to live without unlimited data.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm also probably going to give up my unlimited data but honestly I don't really need it anymore. Way back when I was nearly setting my baby droid x on fire tethering it sure I did but now there's wifi pretty much everywhere I go and it's not as useful. Plus I'm sure Verizon is gonna drum up another controversy or just do the middle finger on my bill and switch me over anyway.

Now to just narrow down between taking the leap to an iphone or the xperia/turbo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I got rid of my UDP when I switched to the Droid Turbo. The 30GB data plan just made a lot more sense pricewise.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, VZW people, since I bought my Turbo outright am I eligible for the one time screen replacement thing?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

XIII posted:

So, VZW people, since I bought my Turbo outright am I eligible for the one time screen replacement thing?

Well, all the advertisements for that say "for the length of the service agreement" or something like that. So I'm guessing no, tbh.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok real question for Verizon folks - is there any direct downside for me to set up VoLTE on my S5? I can't imagine many people I know use it since you have to activate it manually or at least it appears you do from myverizon.com, but I'm a nerd and like tinkering with cool new poo poo - is there any downside for me to do this?

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

vyst posted:

Ok real question for Verizon folks - is there any direct downside for me to set up VoLTE on my S5? I can't imagine many people I know use it since you have to activate it manually or at least it appears you do from myverizon.com, but I'm a nerd and like tinkering with cool new poo poo - is there any downside for me to do this?

The only thing I'm aware is if you're in a VoLTE call and you move from a 4G to 3G area the call drops.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Trisk posted:

The only thing I'm aware is if you're in a VoLTE call and you move from a 4G to 3G area the call drops.
I've only been hit by this once or twice in the couple of months that I've had VoLTE on, and I guess it's worth the trade-off for the improved call quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Selling my Droid MAXX with extras in SA Mart.

• Locked thread