Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Get The Legend of Heroes and let me know how it is because I've been tempted to get it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Wezlar posted:

I want to play an RPG with a good storyline for PC. Nothing first or third person. I've already played all the infinity engine games numerous times and I don't really want to play anything that looks incredibly outdated.

Umm, Divinity Original Sin?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Wezlar posted:

I want to play an RPG with a good storyline for PC. Nothing first or third person. I've already played all the infinity engine games numerous times and I don't really want to play anything that looks incredibly outdated.

I don't think you know what first and third person are. The only second person RPG would be LARPing.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Screen Cheat is the only second-person game I've ever seen. Well, some parts of Siren I guess.

We're losing steam on Diablo 3. We need a game to catch us in the same way - local coop, dolly dressup, super long challenge curve, stuff like that. Like a local MMO kind of. Or hell, any other type of games too as long as they're local and have some sort of character persistence. Anything out there?

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 5, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

nucleicmaxid posted:

I don't think you know what first and third person are. The only second person RPG would be LARPing.

What I meant is not like Fallout/Skyrim style first person or Dragon Age style Third Person with camera locked behind you but I probably should've been more clear.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sizone posted:

Get The Legend of Heroes and let me know how it is because I've been tempted to get it myself.

this is my recommendation if you like jrpgs

if you don't, don't get it, and also fight me

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I'm looking for singleplayer PC games that can be played with minimal input over a long period of time.

A good example of what I'm looking for is Defcon on its real-time mode; a game that's played start to finish over the course of an entire real-time day that doesn't slow down or pause when you're not actually playing.

I would love some kind of extremely-slow paced city-builder. I'm not really looking for "idle" games, more of a real game that I can run in to the background while working on other tasks. Any ideas that aren't completely input-free like Progress Quest?

You want X3 Albion Prelude.

I've only put like 10 hours of gameplay into it. The rest of the other 300-something hours are my trade ships and space stations making dat money.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

This is a bit of a tricky one. I'd like a game I can play with a group of friends. It should be something with permanent and interesting character advancement, not just some FPS unlock system. It would also be cool if we could build a base or somehow make a mark on things. I guess what I'd like is an MMO that is not bad (I've played FFXIV and while it's good it doesn't really fit).

Check out Warframe. It's a free-to-play game about space ninjas, all group-based co-op missions, and you can build a clan dojo and custom place doodads.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

^^^ Screen Cheat is the only second-person game I've ever seen. Well, some parts of Siren I guess.

We're losing steam on Diablo 3. We need a game to catch us in the same way - local coop, dolly dressup, super long challenge curve, stuff like that. Like a local MMO kind of. Or hell, any other type of games too as long as they're local and have some sort of character persistence. Anything out there?

Since you like D3, how about games like it? D3 has the most satisfying combat, but Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile are the other top tier choices. Marvel Heroes has the best character design, you get to play as all kinds of superheroes and supervillains and they all actually feel like the character they're based on, it's a lot of fun to unlock a new hero and see how they play. Path of Exile is the best as far as itemization, currency and barter go - it's got the economy of D2 over a solid ARPG skeleton and is the most like D2 out of the three, but character building may be too complex for a group and the dull visuals don't help. Both MH and PoE are free to play.

e: I really can't stress enough that Marvel Heroes is a good game now. It was rough and rocky at launch but has undergone a few complete overhauls and has a few years of patching and added content now. Anyone who likes ARPGs or superheroes owes it to themselves to try it out. It's my favorite of the Big 3 ARPGs and I say that as someone with hundreds of hours logged in D3. It even has WoW-esque raids at the end-game if your group is dedicated enough for that, but I haven't done them so I can't comment on if they're any fun.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 5, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A decent game where stuff happens in the background that you can just sit back and influence every now and then is The Last Federation. It is entirely about manipulation of lesser species and seeing how they interact. You can tab in and do something active like blow up a fleet, capture a station or cause a leadership change in one of the nations and then tab out and await the results.

I also second Distant Worlds for hands-off Empire building.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Elswyyr posted:

This is a bit of a tricky one. I'd like a game I can play with a group of friends. It should be something with permanent and interesting character advancement, not just some FPS unlock system. It would also be cool if we could build a base or somehow make a mark on things. I guess what I'd like is an MMO that is not bad (I've played FFXIV and while it's good it doesn't really fit).

I'd second Guild Wars 2. It's a super chill game that rewards players for doing pretty much anything. The game automatically scales characters up or down in levels depending on the content you're playing, so there's no worry of someone out-leveling others even if they play more. You can also get into PvP right off the bat, since characters are always max level in PvP areas. Setting up a guild is fairly cheap as well, especially since low-level gear is better bought with Karma points instead of gold.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Since you like D3, how about games like it? D3 has the most satisfying combat, but Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile are the other top tier choices. Marvel Heroes has the best character design, you get to play as all kinds of superheroes and supervillains and they all actually feel like the character they're based on, it's a lot of fun to unlock a new hero and see how they play. Path of Exile is the best as far as itemization, currency and barter go - it's got the economy of D2 over a solid ARPG skeleton and is the most like D2 out of the three, but character building may be too complex for a group and the dull visuals don't help. Both MH and PoE are free to play.

e: I really can't stress enough that Marvel Heroes is a good game now. It was rough and rocky at launch but has undergone a few complete overhauls and has a few years of patching and added content now. Anyone who likes ARPGs or superheroes owes it to themselves to try it out. It's my favorite of the Big 3 ARPGs and I say that as someone with hundreds of hours logged in D3. It even has WoW-esque raids at the end-game if your group is dedicated enough for that, but I haven't done them so I can't comment on if they're any fun.

How does the itemization work? Like if I'm playing as wolverine do I get new claws for killing a boss? When I switch over to playing as iron man do I have to unequip the claws and now go find a rare blaster or something?

Are each of the superheroes like a different character you have to equip or what?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Demiurge4 posted:

A decent game where stuff happens in the background that you can just sit back and influence every now and then is The Last Federation. It is entirely about manipulation of lesser species and seeing how they interact. You can tab in and do something active like blow up a fleet, capture a station or cause a leadership change in one of the nations and then tab out and await the results.

This gives me sort of a throwback idea.

Spore had the option of basically creating a super-race of monsters you could set down on random planets then come back later to see what destruction they had wrought. It never ever worked in any way.

Are there games where you're a superior space-traveling race where you have the option to travel around the universe and screw with lesser species?

Breeding/engineering super species and setting them down on populated worlds with civilization and watching what ensues. Having tools that enable you to mess around, wreak havok, manipulate the civilizations in other ways like death rays and such, Putting down monoliths and progress their advancement, possibly steer them into being warmongering space ferals (that you still have the ability to manipulate and still steer the course)... With scale and scope from an individual of that race to the entire empire that species belongs to?

Is spore the only one that attempted this? In the final space stage, which lacked way to much depth and probably didn't keep track of anything that was going on when you weren't there. It wasn't designed to well and my copy is bound to a computer that hasn't been used in a very very long time.

TL;DR I want to be a god with a bunch of tools to gently caress around with a really populated and diverse universe with loads of depth and scale from the tiniest speck of dust to the entire big picture. And being able to steer the course of civilizations with chaos theory-esque actions.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 5, 2014

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

How does the itemization work? Like if I'm playing as wolverine do I get new claws for killing a boss? When I switch over to playing as iron man do I have to unequip the claws and now go find a rare blaster or something?

Are each of the superheroes like a different character you have to equip or what?

Each character has their own equipment, but shared inventory. The claws you equip on your Wolverine are replaced by the blaster you previously had on Ironman when you switch characters. The health potion you had in your inventory stays there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I have Godus and while I guess it's true that I could leave it running all day, there's not anything to do in the game besides what you manually do; place houses, move terrain around, etc. The only thing that happens while you're not actually touching the game is that resources go up. Your villages don't expand or grow on their own, your population doesn't actually do anything. Anno is a great game but it has the same problem for me as Godus. I guess what I really want is a game where things happen even when I'm not playing - not just negative things, but positive things too - that I can tab over to and make some long-term decisions or something from time to time.

Browser games like OGame are kind of cool and close to what I want, but my major concern with them is that they're focused around PVP/diplomacy metagame. I would prefer something singleplayer where I don't have to worry about other players.

CK2 is a great suggestion. I have it but I've never been able to get in to it because of the learning curve, this sounds like a good opportunity to learn it.

I thought of another great example of what I'm looking for: Distant Worlds, the real-time 4x space game where you can automate every facet of your empire. I can leave it running in the background and tab in every once in a while to make a decision about what planet to colonize, who to trade with, who to attack, or where to explore and let the AI handle the rest.

I'm have a hard time explaining exactly what I'm looking for. I just started a new job and I'm working from home doing relatively easy, mundane work and I want something singleplayer that I can play absentmindedly throughout the day for a few seconds at a time when I need a break, something that still progresses when I'm away but that isn't completely idle/zeroplayer. A roguelike that plays itself but I make decisions about how the character levels up, a citybuilder where the city expands on its own and I just make high-level policy changes, an RPG where I manage the party and their equipment but they adventure on their own. Something like that would be ideal.

As much as it might complicate things I'm looking for a 'real' game that does this, not a mobile/browser game full of microtransactions to speed things up.

Gnomoria can be played like this, but the decisions sound more fiddly than what you want.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Browser games like OGame are kind of cool and close to what I want, but my major concern with them is that they're focused around PVP/diplomacy metagame. I would prefer something singleplayer where I don't have to worry about other players.

Probably not quite what you're looking for, then, but the Goon-made browser game "Sea of Stars" is along those lines: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628692

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
I'm looking for a game where survival is a key focus, some exploration and crafting but no drat zombies. I have Life is Feudal but it's still a bit too far in the early development stages for my liking and runs like crap. Any suggestions?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Obsidius posted:

I'm looking for a game where survival is a key focus, some exploration and crafting but no drat zombies. I have Life is Feudal but it's still a bit too far in the early development stages for my liking and runs like crap. Any suggestions?

"UnReal World RPG is a survival based roguelike game set in the far north during the late Iron Age."

Finnish mythology, wilderness survival, smoked fish.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

"UnReal World RPG is a survival based roguelike game set in the far north during the late Iron Age."

And naked drunk barbarians that will gently caress your poo poo up barehanded while tripping over themselves.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Need a suggestion for a game!

I'm a the Surface Pro 2, and I'm looking for a game that can be controlled with the touchscreen alone.
I'm open to any genre really. Good touchscreen games for windows have completely eluded me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've heard Civilization 5 works great with touch screen. People were streaming it to their iPads at one point.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, tried that out but I'm looking for some immersion and not a 90's top down look.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Obsidius posted:

Thanks, tried that out but I'm looking for some immersion and not a 90's top down look.

The Long Dark has you trying to survive in a far north post apocalyptic setting. It's still in early access, but from what I've heard it's pretty good.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Obsidius posted:

NEO Scavenger is pretty good, although it is more like a board game than a FPS.
For first person survival look at The Long Dark or at The Forest

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 9, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Valicious posted:

I'm a the Surface Pro 2, and I'm looking for a game that can be controlled with the touchscreen alone.
I'm open to any genre really. Good touchscreen games for windows have completely eluded me.

Age of Wonders 3 is awesome on a tablet.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So far the suggestions from this thread have been great. Now I'm back for something new:

I'm looking for a space game that can be played with mouse + keyboard. Preferably something in the vein of Escape Velocity Nova. I want to be able to be a space pirate, or possibly a space freighter captain, or maybe join the military.

I've played Privateer, EV:N (to completion multiple times), Transcendence, Space Rangers 2, and that's about it. What else is out there?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

So far the suggestions from this thread have been great. Now I'm back for something new:

I'm looking for a space game that can be played with mouse + keyboard. Preferably something in the vein of Escape Velocity Nova. I want to be able to be a space pirate, or possibly a space freighter captain, or maybe join the military.

I've played Privateer, EV:N (to completion multiple times), Transcendence, Space Rangers 2, and that's about it. What else is out there?

Definitely Freelancer. There's a shitload of mods too that greatly expound upon the content.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I played the poo poo out of Freelancer, but wasn't aware of any mods. I always felt the game was way, way, too linear for a supposed open world game. I'll check out the mods though, thanks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Royal Scrub posted:

Age of Wonders 3 is awesome on a tablet.

Along those lines Endless Legend's UI should also be quite tablet friendly.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Valicious posted:

If you're into puzzle games, the Windows version of The Room works really well on a tablet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SquadronROE posted:

Have you tried X3 or Distant Worlds?

They're both huge open world space games where you can do or be anything you want. X3 is full 3D and Distant Worlds is top-down 2D.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 10, 2014

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

SquadronROE posted:

Elite: Dangerous is scheduled for release next month if you can wait.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SquadronROE posted:

Check out Starpoint Gemini 2

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

SquadronROE posted:

Starsector is EV:Nova meets Mount and Blade. It's technically in alpha, but it's by far the most stable and playable early access type game I've ever seen. It doesn't have a storyline or adventures in yet, but that's about all that shows it's not finished. He recently put in the economy, so you can play as space trucker, and being a pirate/bounty hunter has been fun for over a year now. The combat system is my favorite space ship combat bar none.

SA thread

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 10, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Of all of those, Starpoint Gemini 2 and Distant Worlds sound the most promising. I'm going to pick up Elite when it finally releases, and the X series seems far too in-depth for me unfortunately.

I'd also completely forgotten about Star Sector (didn't it used to be called something else?). I might need to grab the latest update and play around with that some more.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

SquadronROE posted:

Of all of those, Starpoint Gemini 2 and Distant Worlds sound the most promising. I'm going to pick up Elite when it finally releases, and the X series seems far too in-depth for me unfortunately.

I'd also completely forgotten about Star Sector (didn't it used to be called something else?). I might need to grab the latest update and play around with that some more.

Yeah, it was Starfarer until he changed it to avoid potential legal complications. And if you haven't played since the change, there's been a lot done to improve it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So, after getting and trying to play Dungeon of the Endless, only for it to hang at the initial loading screen. (Can't even get to the main menu) I cursed at my lovely laptop and pouted for a while, but it made me realize something about the point I wanted to see...

What games are good for the sort of "Build a village/city and defend it" thing? I recently redownloaded Stronghold Crusader for a bit of that. Folk Tale is among the 'bought but computer is too lovely to run' list, but the general idea is around that.

Edit: Majesty 1 and 2 are the prime examples of that though, both of which I have and play to death

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 10, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So is there a good SA thread or something on Freelancer mods? There's so many of them...

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

So is there a good SA thread or something on Freelancer mods? There's so many of them...

There isn't, but maybe ask in the Star Citizen thread? The games share a common lineage in that they both were/are designed by Chris Roberts (although his stint was relatively short with Freelancer). There's also a dedicated Freelancer forum at http://the-starport.net/

I've never modded Freelancer but it's amazing how active the modding scene still is. IIRC some of the stand-out mods made the game more of an open world akin to the X series.

By the way, if you think X3 is too complicated, you're going to have a hell of a time with Distant Worlds. The latter is more of a traditional 4X and probably the apex of the genre in my opinion, but it's significantly harder to understand than X3. X3 is more up your sleeve and it shouldn't take too long to get it going. It's fun having a fleet of autonomous merchants servicing your expanding mogul empire.

edit: here's a decent list with descriptions: http://the-starport.net/modules/mediawiki/index.php/Mod_Database

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cake Attack posted:

this is my recommendation if you like jrpgs

if you don't, don't get it, and also fight me

I fear we're going to have to fight, because as much as I loved the character development and storytelling as far as I got, the combat was just godawful slow and boring, too much so for me to even get out of the prologue.

I've been hunting for a good story too and I was sure Trails in the Sky would provide, and while I'm sure it does I can't get to it :(