Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I really like to sub in tofu for activity on my favorite SA forum when the generalized dickery drives away every new or less frequent poster. It doesn't taste the same, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nicol Bolas posted:

I really like to sub in tofu for activity on my favorite SA forum when the generalized dickery drives away every new or less frequent poster. It doesn't taste the same, though.

Yeah, you sure showed them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

idk, this train running is the most alive GWS has been in months.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nicol Bolas posted:

Personally I prefer to have zero sense of tofu and act tofu-than-thou about mildly mocking posts on comedy forums.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

I thought it was pretty funny and pretty tame teasing for GWS. v:shobon:v

Also, to be fair, there was some very reasonable arguments about why Jan's advice wasn't the best. I was a little offended that when someone gave advice that a food integral to my culture is best when used appropriately as it's own thing with great examples of those dishes (mapo tofu, kimchi jjigae), someone decided to come in and say 'nope it's just the lovely meat substitute that westerners have decided it is and cause them to poo poo all over it'.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm a vegan so I can't eat tofu, does anyone know of any tofu substitutes? Can I use steak like I would use tofu?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm a vegan so I can't eat tofu, does anyone know of any tofu substitutes? Can I use steak like I would use tofu?

It's a substitute, but a poor one.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu's Meat Primer

1. Take recipe with tofu in it.
2. Substitute tofu with beef, pork or chicken

The end.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rurutia posted:

Also, to be fair, there was some very reasonable arguments about why Jan's advice wasn't the best.

Yeah, my comment was a dumb Comedy Forums oversimplification. Followed by dumb Comedy Forums ridiculing.

Had I known people would take it literally, I would've been more specific from the get-go. What I really meant is that you can substitute meat for tofu in pretty much any recipe where the meat is an accessory and not the main piece, so to speak. Basically for stir fry, curry, many recipes with non-meat sauces. Just like you could make mapo tofu with meat instead of tofu. It's not going to be the best, that's why it's a "substitute". But if I'm making an oyster sauce stir fry and I happen to have tofu but not beef, I'm not going to have any qualms about that substitute.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Jan posted:

Had I known people would take it literally, I would've been more specific from the get-go.

Considering it's an actual thing many people believe and practice and advice that has and will be given ny people who use tofu badly, there's a reason why without the clarification it's just wrong.

It's not people having semantics fun because there was no way of knowing you knew better.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jan posted:

Just like you could make mapo tofu with meat instead of tofu.

:psyduck: Tofu is in the name, though. That's like chicken noodle without the chicken.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Casu Marzu posted:

:psyduck: Tofu is in the name, though. That's like chicken noodle without the chicken.

And? What's in a name?

General Tao chicken doesn't stop being "General Tao" if you happen to use pork instead, it just stops being General Tao "chicken". Since apparently I have to be really specific about everything, it would be "General Tao with pork instead of chicken", and in the case of mapo tofu it would be "Mapo tofu with meat instead of tofu".

It's just substituting the protein, and I still think it's a valid learning experiment to see what substitutions work and which don't. I started out just replacing meat with tofu in random stir fries before branching out into tofu specific recipes. And when mapo tofu made me learn of Sichuan pepper, I started branching back and looking for other ways to use Sichuan pepper with meat.

If you just apply a recipe to the letter without understanding or experimenting, it kind of takes out a lot of the fun.

e: I didn't have to experiment to understand that a "rib-eye tofu steak" isn't going to work. :downs:

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 10, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
This cheese sauce for the nachos is genius in its simplicity.

1 cup heavy cream (I substituted in 1/4 cup buttermilk)
16 Kraft singles
Screw your béchamel-based cheese sauces that get all gritty and thick. Use that Kraft sodium citrate goodness for what it was made for.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jan posted:

Just like you could make mapo tofu with meat instead of tofu. It's not going to be the best, that's why it's a "substitute".

Ma po tofu is supposed to have meat and tofu. As mentioned, it is basically westerners that think it replaces anything. Asian cultures all treat it as its own thing.

Also ma po tofu with meat instead of tofu is just stir fried meat in doubanjiang and it is perfectly fine.

Edit: I grew up eating a dessert that was basically warm super silken fresh tofu with a ginger syrup. hella good. doesn't take to meat substitution very well.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 10, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jan posted:

And? What's in a name?

General Tao chicken doesn't stop being "General Tao" if you happen to use pork instead, it just stops being General Tao "chicken". Since apparently I have to be really specific about everything, it would be "General Tao with pork instead of chicken", and in the case of mapo tofu it would be "Mapo tofu with meat instead of tofu".

It's just substituting the protein, and I still think it's a valid learning experiment to see what substitutions work and which don't. I started out just replacing meat with tofu in random stir fries before branching out into tofu specific recipes. And when mapo tofu made me learn of Sichuan pepper, I started branching back and looking for other ways to use Sichuan pepper with meat.

If you just apply a recipe to the letter without understanding or experimenting, it kind of takes out a lot of the fun.

e: I didn't have to experiment to understand that a "rib-eye tofu steak" isn't going to work. :downs:

Taking the tofu out of mapo tofu isn't mapo tofu anymore. It's meat simmered in black bean paste.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit: I grew up eating a dessert that was basically warm super silken fresh tofu with a ginger syrup. hella good. doesn't take to meat substitution very well.

The tofu here is the main ingredient, not an accessory ingredient.

Casu Marzu posted:

Taking the tofu out of mapo tofu isn't mapo tofu anymore. It's meat simmered in black bean paste.

Yes. But if I was making "meat simmered in black bean paste" for a hypothetical person who loves the poo poo out of mapo tofu but doesn't know what's in it, which would be the best explanation? "Meat simmered in black bean sauce", or "Meat prepared in the manner and sauce of mapo tofu"?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hypothetical person should just be happy they're getting a meal made for them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jan posted:

Yes. But if I was making "meat simmered in black bean paste" for a hypothetical person who loves the poo poo out of mapo tofu but doesn't know what's in it, which would be the best explanation? "Meat simmered in black bean sauce", or "Meat prepared in the manner and sauce of mapo tofu"?

Well if you can substitute flavourless tofu in for any meat, just make mapo tofu with ground beef/pork and substitute cubes of poached boneless skinless chicken breast for the tofu.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jan posted:

:lol:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jan posted:

Like in a BLT?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like in a BLT?

Which is not a sandwich, of course.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Which is not a sandwich, of course.

No, it's a stir fry, which is why I brought it up.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like in a BLT?

Bacon, lettuce, and tofu?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Casu's Meat Primer

1. Take recipe with tofu in it.
2. Substitute tofu with beef, pork or chicken

The end.

For real, there's literally nothing wrong with this. It's sad it doesn't work the other way around.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Bacon, lettuce, and tofu?

Bacon Lettuce Tofurkey.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

For real, there's literally nothing wrong with this. It's sad it doesn't work the other way around.

there is a shitton wrong with this. Aforementioned lightly warmed fresh super silken tofu with ginger syrup dessert, doesn't work. Soondubu with pork chicken beef? um, that's not really soondubu anymore. Sin jyut gyun (tofu skin rolls), that's just a meatship.

Tofu is it's own thing, quit treating it like it's something it's not

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

This is a very complex and problematic situation so I have made a scientific graph to help us resolve the conundrum:

It seems we cannot agree on the contents of the overlap, which is fine as it is a matter of taste.

What puzzles me is that some refuse to even contemplate that there might be an overlap.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like in a BLT?
My favourite trick is to put an egg on a BLT. Only instead of bacon I use pancetta or maybe guanciale. And I sub some grated p. reggiano or pecorino for the lettuce. Then instead of tomato I use a little minced garlic. It works best if you serve it over pasta instead of on bread.

It's one the best sandwiches.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jan posted:

This is a very complex and problematic situation so I have made a scientific graph to help us resolve the conundrum:

It seems we cannot agree on the contents of the overlap, which is fine as it is a matter of taste.

What puzzles me is that some refuse to even contemplate that there might be an overlap.

it's not "stuff that works well with" it's "stuff that can be replaced with" Do you even pedant, bro?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

My favourite trick is to put an egg on a BLT. Only instead of bacon I use pancetta or maybe guanciale. And I sub some grated p. reggiano or pecorino for the lettuce. Then instead of tomato I use a little minced garlic. It works best if you serve it over pasta instead of on bread.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong but I think that'd be a taco if you replaced the pasta with tofu.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I just scrolled through the last fifty posts and it read like dialogue from The Smurfs with "smurf" substituted by "tofu".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't know maybe I'm wrong but I think that'd be a taco if you replaced the pasta with tofu.
If you knew more about the traditional cuisines of foreign lands you'd know that in Italy they call a taco a calzone.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

SubG posted:

That sounds like a great sandwich maybe I'll make one for lunch tomorrow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

If you knew more about the traditional cuisines of foreign lands you'd know that in Italy they call a taco a calzone.

Io sono cosė dispiaciuto che ho tofu la mia ignoranza della cucina tofuna Italiana. Per favore tofu mi.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Io sono cosė dispiaciuto che ho tofu la mia ignoranza della cucina tofuna Italiana. Per favore tofu mi.
Il tofu č l'apologia pių eloquente.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

Best sandwich

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

garlic in carbonara you monster

next you're gonna tell me about the cream you put in your alfredo

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I substitute soymilk for cream in my alfredo all the time guys!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I thought the GWS hive mind textus receptus on carbonara was The Silver Spoon and The Silver Spoon puts garlic in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Garlic is good in there. So is zucchini when it's zucchini season.