Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

angryhampster posted:

I've recently noticed a little more valvetrain noise than normal in my '83 XLS. Heads are stock, and it had a valve job around 5000 miles ago. I pulled the pushrod covers off today and none of the pushrods had excess play. I haven't noticed any new oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets. What else could I check?

I first noticed it after I converted the bike to an alternator, instead of the factory generator. The alternator is considerably quieter. Could it be that the valves have always sounded this way? The bike runs just as good as it always has.

Could be a couple of different things, when you checked your pushrods, did you notice any unusual wear on the ends of the rods or the inside of the covers? If so, you need to adjust your pushrods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

angryhampster posted:

My '83 XLS weighs 520 dry and that's with the big tank and twin discs up front. I'd imagine the peanut-tank bikes of the era were under 500.

It's just more of the CA "hurp durp Harleys are 800 pounds!"

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Got to see a street 500 Saturday. They set up right next to me at a music festival. The demo was dumb as hell but the bike looked great. I'd expected a much cheaper looking product and I was wrong. Although the whole staff referred to it as a "starter" bike I don't fall in to that and will seriously probably own one at some point.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What's the go with the orange things?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Shimrod posted:

That looks like their 'MSF school' setup

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, ok.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Shimrod posted:

Crash bars.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Good to know it doesn't look cobbled-together or cheap in person. I'm kinda hoping the low power numbers are designed as a detuned setup so you can get a little more out if it without having to swap out major stuff besides exhaust.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
The radiator in front looks godawful.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Yeah I heard on a podcast that it wasn't up to normal Harley fit and finish and if that is so, I sure didn't see it. I didn't think in person the radiator looked bad but in all the pictures I've seen I did. I really don't think that with the small displacement and quiet exhaust it will do much for core Harley people, but I also don't think it was made for them. It does sound like a Jetson car but I was enamored by that. I'm not a brand loyal kind of person but I think I'd like this bike no matter who was the manufacturer. I can't wail untill the 750 hits the used market. But then again for around $7000 I may go new.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

kenny powerzzz posted:

Got to see a street 500 Saturday. They set up right next to me at a music festival. The demo was dumb as hell but the bike looked great. I'd expected a much cheaper looking product and I was wrong. Although the whole staff referred to it as a "starter" bike I don't fall in to that and will seriously probably own one at some point.

If it doesn't cost 30k it's a "starter bike"

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Harley-Davidson recalls '14 Dynas for ignition switch problem:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308010124

Interesting they'd even honor this, as it's not a defect on a stock bike. No more brass knuckle key chains...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Harley-Davidson recalls '14 Dynas for ignition switch problem:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308010124

Interesting they'd even honor this, as it's not a defect on a stock bike. No more brass knuckle key chains...

quote:

Harley said in documents posted Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the motorcycles are limited at the factory to 5,600 RPMs, but Harley offers performance calibrations that let the engine rev higher than the limit. If the bikes hit 5,800 RPMs, the top engine mount bracket can vibrate too much and cause the ignition switches to malfunction.

Still a Harley product

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I'd zoned in on the bit that mentions it only surfaced on bikes with aftermarket pipes, so in that sense they weren't as shipped. However, it's almost a given that they're coming off because performance.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I have joined the elite C.A.H.O.G.(R) with the purchase of a 2006 XH1200 Custom. Supposedly the H stands for higher compression, but you could understand my confusion when it comes up as a XL in VIN checks. Do I get a sticker for joining or anything? Poker chip?

Mine on the right, with a friend's '03 Anniversary.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice bike. Not sure about that front fender but to each his own.

I like the customs Speedo mount so much better than the standard.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Scrapez posted:

Nice bike. Not sure about that front fender but to each his own.

I like the customs Speedo mount so much better than the standard.

Yeah, the dealer has the original waiting for me to pick up, I've just been having too much fun to go get it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

2006 XH1200 Custom. Supposedly the H stands for higher compression, but you could understand my confusion when it comes up as a XL in VIN checks.

Mine on the right, with a friend's '03 Anniversary.

Let me see if I can clarify, which is usually a fool's errand when it comes to HD models and the lore that goes with them.

For marketing purposes, the two letter Sportster model designator XL has been in use for decades, going back to the end of the K models in the 50s. With possibly a few exceptions (like XR), this is what was used for the first two letters, with any variants coming either after the XL (e.g., XLH, XLCH, XLCR) or after the displacement (XL 1200C/R/L). Every official brochure and ad for the 06 1200 Custom referred to it as an XL 1200C. Same formula for the other models. Some of the rags (Cycle World) got it wrong in year one, which is understandable. Bottom line, I don't believe there was ever an XH, and certainly not in the last decade.

HOWEVER...

Harley's internal tracking systems appear to classify our bikes as XLH1200 Customs. I checked some of my maintenance docs, and sure enough, there it is. I have never seen this bike referred to with this designator anywhere else, and I believe it's just a legacy carryover from earlier models rather than anything special about the motor (I have seen the high compression thing floated elsewhere, but I think it's apocryphal.) To my knowledge the only recent Sporty with factory (non-SE, non XR) performance mods was the Sportster Sport of the late 90s, which had two plugs per cylinder, some sort of gee whiz camshaft, and better suspension.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

To my knowledge the only recent Sporty with factory (non-SE, non XR) performance mods was the Sportster Sport of the late 90s, which had two plugs per cylinder, some sort of gee whiz camshaft, and better suspension.

And double front discs IIRC which are the dead visual giveaway

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

...and stock black exhaust from headers back. I have one if someone needs one...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Bottom line, I don't believe there was ever an XH, and certainly not in the last decade.

Ooops! I actually meant to write XLH instead of XH. You are right that the "official" documentation denotes it as an XLH 1200 Custom while everything else seems to indicate it is an XL1200 Custom.

I'm thinking I need to put on the stock fender this weekend and maybe do the stock exhaust as well. Do I need any special HD tools for either of those jobs or will your standard toolbox contain most of what is needed? Also, anyone recommend a light bar for the front and rear that still looks good? I am surrounded by enough old people that I am in desperate need of more than the single light in the rear.

... black exhaust from headers back? Maybe I need to go that route.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

Ooops! I actually meant to write XLH instead of XH. You are right that the "official" documentation denotes it as an XLH 1200 Custom while everything else seems to indicate it is an XL1200 Custom.

I'm thinking I need to put on the stock fender this weekend and maybe do the stock exhaust as well. Do I need any special HD tools for either of those jobs or will your standard toolbox contain most of what is needed? Also, anyone recommend a light bar for the front and rear that still looks good? I am surrounded by enough old people that I am in desperate need of more than the single light in the rear.

... black exhaust from headers back? Maybe I need to go that route.

Lights: HD and others make a plug and play module that turns the rear signals into running and brake lights, which is probably the path of least..ahem, resistance. I ran one, but it failed after a couple years, so I winged it and went back to factory except for keeping the red lenses. Up front, honestly, I wouldn't bother. The bike just doesn't have the dimensions to take on big twin-type accessories, and when people try to turn it into something it isn't, it usually ends up looking retarded.

Fenders/pipes: no special tools, but some of the heat shield clamps can be tough to get to. Fender is straightforward. You will want to invest in a QUALITY, US-MADE :911: Torx bit set to go with your ratchets and torque wrench. Find a Sears or Kmart that's going out of business and load up at a nice discount. Actually, go even if they aren't, because their inventory management is so terrible they're in a state of perpetual markdown anyway. These will need to go up to at least T45 for motor mounts, etc. There is a mix of Torx, Allen head, 12-pont, SAE, metric...it's all represented.

As for the headers, I think Scrapez was referring to spares from the Sport model, and I doubt they'd fit this bike--plus they have the exposed crossover.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Lights: HD and others make a plug and play module that turns the rear signals into running and brake lights, which is probably the path of least..ahem, resistance. I ran one, but it failed after a couple years, so I winged it and went back to factory except for keeping the red lenses. Up front, honestly, I wouldn't bother. The bike just doesn't have the dimensions to take on big twin-type accessories, and when people try to turn it into something it isn't, it usually ends up looking retarded.

Fenders/pipes: no special tools, but some of the heat shield clamps can be tough to get to. Fender is straightforward. You will want to invest in a QUALITY, US-MADE :911: Torx bit set to go with your ratchets and torque wrench. Find a Sears or Kmart that's going out of business and load up at a nice discount. Actually, go even if they aren't, because their inventory management is so terrible they're in a state of perpetual markdown anyway. These will need to go up to at least T45 for motor mounts, etc. There is a mix of Torx, Allen head, 12-pont, SAE, metric...it's all represented.

As for the headers, I think Scrapez was referring to spares from the Sport model, and I doubt they'd fit this bike--plus they have the exposed crossover.

Indeed...They won't fit a 2004+. Only the teeth chattering real men sportsters. ;)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Snowdens Secret posted:

And double front discs IIRC which are the dead visual giveaway

R models had double front discs, XL883R/XL1200R.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

R models had double front discs, XL883R/XL1200R.

Not recent, but the XLS did in the 80s as well. Which was strange.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
So I'm thinking of picking up a Street 750. I've always been a sports bike person in the past (sort of -- more on the girlie/sedate end of the sport bike spectrum for the most part) but I test rode the Street a couple of weeks ago and it was so much fun. My favorite bike ever was a 400 that only made 48HP and less torque at a 400+lb weight, so I'm not too worried about the comparatively low power. I am a little concerned about the spongy brakes and the lack of a tachometer, though.

Any of you guys have any thoughts, pro or con? I'm not really comfortable with typical cruiser ergonomics (the Street is clearly a standard), and I'm pretty short with arm-length to match, so I don't know if the typical advice to look for a used Sportster or similar instead really works for me. How much can rider ergos be adapted without going crazy/expensive with modifications?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For me a tach only makes a difference if I look at it. I don't look at my instruments very often when I'm riding, do you? A bike will telegraph it's time to shift once you get to know it and I imagine this would be especially true for the Street's engine. It will run out of breath and get vibey well before the rev limiter intervenes; that bike probably has about 4000 rpm between torque peak and red line.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

clutchpuck posted:

For me a tach only makes a difference if I look at it. I don't look at my instruments very often when I'm riding, do you? A bike will telegraph it's time to shift once you get to know it and I imagine this would be especially true for the Street's engine. It will run out of breath and get vibey well before the rev limiter intervenes; that bike probably has about 4000 rpm between torque peak and red line.

Yeah, I did use the tach quite a bit on my CB-1, primarily as a cue to myself to downshift to stay in the peak powerband when needed, riding through the twisties or whatever. On bigger bikes it was never really a concern, but I got used to thinking it's part of life with a little engine.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Can't really say I pay much attention to my tach - can hear/feel everything you need to anyway. I think the only time I check it is to double check what gear I'm in if I've forgotten.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
So what is the deal with negotiating at a Harley dealer? If I offer them a couple hundred less than the online configurator suggests, will they play ball? I see there's a $1500 mark-up between invoice and MSRP to start with, and I'm sure the accessories have a comfortable margin as well.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Pinky Artichoke posted:

So what is the deal with negotiating at a Harley dealer? If I offer them a couple hundred less than the online configurator suggests, will they play ball? I see there's a $1500 mark-up between invoice and MSRP to start with, and I'm sure the accessories have a comfortable margin as well.

Two scenarios, since I'm not quite sure what your approach is:

There is likely more wiggle room with a bike on the floor. Depending on your loc, it's going to be dead stock for the next six months and by spring it'll be old and in the way. You picked the right time to shop. Haggle away, walk away, do the dance, maintain poker face, visit another dealer, repeat as necessary. You have all the time in the world.

If that's incorrect and you're doing the made to order thing, I see no motivation on their end to put the bike together for anything less than list--but I have heard "stories" of price reductions at the upper end of the big twin range. My advice would be to get the bike first, then add the mods as your budget allows. Going through an online HD parts house (Surdyke, etc.) will often be around 25% less than the brick and mortar equivalent. None of this stuff is terribly complicated to install, so why pay their insane labor rates as well?

Keep us posted, I'd like to know how this turns out.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Marv Hushman posted:

Two scenarios, since I'm not quite sure what your approach is:

There is likely more wiggle room with a bike on the floor. Depending on your loc, it's going to be dead stock for the next six months and by spring it'll be old and in the way. You picked the right time to shop. Haggle away, walk away, do the dance, maintain poker face, visit another dealer, repeat as necessary. You have all the time in the world.

If that's incorrect and you're doing the made to order thing, I see no motivation on their end to put the bike together for anything less than list--but I have heard "stories" of price reductions at the upper end of the big twin range. My advice would be to get the bike first, then add the mods as your budget allows. Going through an online HD parts house (Surdyke, etc.) will often be around 25% less than the brick and mortar equivalent. None of this stuff is terribly complicated to install, so why pay their insane labor rates as well?

Keep us posted, I'd like to know how this turns out.

Definitely not doing the made to order thing, but I also live somewhere with year-round riding so I'm not sure it's quite the same game as it would be up north. We'll see, though.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Well, after owning and modding many metrics, I am joining the ranks of proud Harley sportster owners!

Tomorrow I pick up my 1979 stroked Iron Head Chopper!

It's a basket case, engine hasn't fired in ten years. That's the bad news. Good news is it has a new Paughco frame, new twisted girder springer front end, new twisted spoke stainless wheels and tires, new oil tank, new billet forward controls, new sissy bar.

It also has an extra set of tin, the original chopper was a decent remake of "captain America" from easy rider.

Once I get it and a little forward progress I'll post a project log for it. Because it has two sets of tin I can keep the captain America, and sculpt up my own take on a cool ride.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

malal posted:

Tomorrow I pick up my 1979 stroked Iron Head Chopper...also has an extra set of tin, the original chopper was a decent remake of "captain America" from easy rider.

You are standing on the shoulders of giants, and will succeed in your quest. Welcome to the Sporty Goon Squad.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Marv Hushman posted:

You are standing on the shoulders of giants, and will succeed in your quest. Welcome to the Sporty Goon Squad.

Though we are small, we are nimble.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Strife posted:

We few, we happy few, we...oy, my back.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

It's good to hear I'll be nimble. I was worried that riding a hardtail with a severely raked tree and a springer fork was going to be a nightmare to handle.

I'm sure I'll be zipping around corners and maneuvering in parking lots with the greatest of ease!

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

malal posted:

Well, after owning and modding many metrics, I am joining the ranks of proud Harley sportster owners!

Tomorrow I pick up my 1979 stroked Iron Head Chopper!

It's a basket case, engine hasn't fired in ten years. That's the bad news. Good news is it has a new Paughco frame, new twisted girder springer front end, new twisted spoke stainless wheels and tires, new oil tank, new billet forward controls, new sissy bar.

It also has an extra set of tin, the original chopper was a decent remake of "captain America" from easy rider.

Once I get it and a little forward progress I'll post a project log for it. Because it has two sets of tin I can keep the captain America, and sculpt up my own take on a cool ride.

got any pictures of the twisted girder?

You might want to ditch that btw, unless it was built specifically for that bike. Girders don't really handle worth a gently caress unless somebody with some skill and patience sets one up properly. I like the looks of them, sometimes, but I've never liked riding one.

e: read your last post, is it a girder or a springer?

J Corp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

J Corp posted:

got any pictures of the twisted girder?

You might want to ditch that btw, unless it was built specifically for that bike. Girders don't really handle worth a gently caress unless somebody with some skill and patience sets one up properly. I like the looks of them, sometimes, but I've never liked riding one.

e: read your last post, is it a girder or a springer?

My bad, wrong terminology. It's a springer with the spiral metal on top.

Its a little more worse for wear then I thought, and the stupid thing won't fit in my shed so I rented some shop space. I started on some of the build design work, I'm looking forward to building it, but maybe not driving it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
that looks like a bad idea waiting to happen

• Locked thread