Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yo I heard you can't pet dogs in Unity. Is this true because what a waste of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Those peeps are dumb as hell since Black Flag was the only good asscreed game.

Lol and peeps who still bought this and continue to defend it.
I'm going to try to respond to you not as a troll but as if you were a person, so here goes...

Yeah, Black Flag was good, but not as an Asscreed game. I still think making a great Asscreed game that gets back to basics is possible, and I hoped this would be it, it seems that it's not. But for me, even a bad Asscreed game is about climbing historical stuff and stabbing historical people, so it's still a pretty ok time for me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Thank you for this. I am reminded of Schreck from Batman Returns.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm going to try to respond to you not as a troll but as if you were a person, so here goes...

Yeah, Black Flag was good, but not as an Asscreed game. I still think making a great Asscreed game that gets back to basics is possible, and I hoped this would be it, it seems that it's not. But for me, even a bad Asscreed game is about climbing historical stuff and stabbing historical people, so it's still a pretty ok time for me.

That ship sailed when asscreed 3 was released. Black Flag was the only good one and the rest were incoherent garbage.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Those peeps are dumb as hell since Black Flag was the only good asscreed game.

Lol and peeps who still bought this and continue to defend it.

AC2 and AC:B were the best Assassins Creed games followed closely by Black Flag. But your gimmick seems to be just endlessly posting bad opinions

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Saboteur posted:

Is it reasonable to expect that these framerate issues can even be patched? I've never really run into an issue like this on a console game and am genuinely curious.

There are 2 framerate issues, and I expect (at most) only one will be addressed.

There's the flat out freeze-hitching. I expect within 3 weeks this is addressed as Ubi very insincerely apologizes and releases a patch while patting themselves on the back.

Then there's the fact that the game runs at an inconsistent average of like 25fps. Which will likely never be addressed because they made a bad game on a bad engine.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mustang posted:

AC2 and AC:B were the best Assassins Creed games followed closely by Black Flag. But your gimmick seems to be just endlessly posting bad opinions

I thought 2 was good at the time after just beating the first one. Later I realized that was not true, it was just that asscreed 1 was so terrible. Brotherhood and revelations were just awful. It wasn't until Black Flag that the engine was capable of pulling off a fun game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So, I preordered this on Xbone. Go to start it this morning, takes me to the store page to buy the game.

Microsoft makes me redownload it, I do which takes 9 hours. Same problem. Microsoft tells me to call Ubisoft, Ubisoft says it's not their problem and to call Microsoft.

:stonklol:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

They are doing you a generous favor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Post more impressions of Rogue, drat it.
I just find it hilarious that the game that uses Black Flag's engine and just continues that story seems to be doing better than the actual flagship sequel to the franchise.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

So, I preordered this on Xbone. Go to start it this morning, takes me to the store page to buy the game.

Microsoft makes me redownload it, I do which takes 9 hours. Same problem. Microsoft tells me to call Ubisoft, Ubisoft says it's not their problem and to call Microsoft.

:stonklol:

I'm not buying this game as a show of solidarity to you my brother.

You can email that to Ubisoft.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Capn Beeb posted:

Is it possible to get the high end stuff within a reasonable amount of time? Is there a money generating thing like in the past games? Because yeah putting poo poo behind a paywall as a means of enticing the MUST HAVE NOW WAIT IS DUMB idiots is one thing, but buttoning it up and saying "haha what are you gonna do, grind forever for just one of these toys? no you're not, buy it now" is another. They're both lovely, though.

And to say nothing of poo poo just being unlocked with real money or nothing, but there's none of that here. I don't think so, anyway.

There are money generators. I'm not sure if they'll be enough to unlock everything but I played a lot of AC4 and never unlocked everything... but then it didn't matter unless you wanted to fight what were basically post-game super ships. Most of the stuff seemed priced in a way where I'll get everything I want without much fuss, just like previous games. There's a secondary currency that upgrade gear that seems to build more slowly but I haven't experienced much of that yet.

Basically so far the microtransaction concerns seem pretty overblown. Even the "the first thing in the menu is the money store" stopped being an issue 5 missions in because things unlocked at the top of the menu, driving the money store down the list.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Who the gently caress makes these trailers? Somehow their trailers always sell me on this garbage! ! It's like witchcraft because I never learn.

Guys, I don't get annoyed over bad games often but between DriveClub last month and this game now, I am broke and I am having a pretty lovely Autumn.

:( The worst part is I'm still trying to play co-op on this because I'm lonely and too broke for something better.

You won Ubisoft. You kicked a veteran in the dick on Veteran's Day.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

I just find it hilarious that the game that uses Black Flag's engine and just continues that story seems to be doing better than the actual flagship sequel to the franchise.

Yeah, is Rogue coming out for the PC at some point? Cause I'd get it then.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
2015 I believe

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Congrads on having a magical version that runs better than everyone else then. It would be nice if you would share it with everyone else.

My magic version is the Xbone one which so far isn't perfect but is completely playable. The only real standout so far was in that video posted earlier when Arno goes to Notre Dame. There's something about moving on the windows (the camera rotates just fine, but the instant you move it's like it's hiccuping), even on the outside, that the game can't handle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope, he already has said if he doesn't enjoy the game then you can't either.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

2015 I believe

Sweet!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just realized that I cannot assassinate goats. I can't remember if I could or couldn't before, but this is my biggest problem with the game yet.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Deakul posted:

Shay starts off with facial hair like the hilarious beard you tried to grow in high school/the first year of college and drops it as soon as he goes full Templar. It would be funny if it was a sign of him growing up at all but I'm not really sure his reasons for turning against the Brotherhood are entirely sensible. He goes from causing an earthquake in Lisbon to accusing Achilles of ordering him to do it intentionally in about five in-game minutes, but surely he's had time on the trip back to cool off and reason it out that Achilles has literally nothing to gain from intentionally leveling a city.

Speaking of which, the earthquake in Lisbon looks fantastic, even if its only gameplay is "hold down the right trigger and push the joystick forward."

The renovation stuff from Brohood is back but this time it's in gorgeous eighteenth century Manhattan :swoon:. Same as in those games, it looks like it acts as a further money sink/maker for your ship, but it also requires metal and wood and other stuff you'd need to otherwise upgrade the Morrigan. Obviously by the end of the game I expect to be swimming in extra stuff but it might generate some interesting short-term trade-offs.

The supporting Assassin cast is very clearly there to all get murdered and I kinda roll my eyes every time any one of them comes on screen.

Modern day sections are a painful retread of Black Flag's so far without any Assassins to offer any sort of bright spot. Just like with the main campaign, it's hard not to feel like everything you're doing is making things worse in the ~meta-narrative.~

I've progressed to the point where I mentally replace any mention of the "First Civilization," "the Precursors" or "Those Who Came Before" with "Lizard People" and I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with the Templars and Assassins.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I have an important question, can I buy historical landmarks again? I thought it was loving hilarious how in Brotherhood and Revelations I could buy/renovate things that no individual had any business owning like the Hagia Sophia and what felt like half the churches in Rome, and the series is poorer for their absence.

Also can I call assassins out of hay bales to murder people again? Sometimes I'm too lazy to actually walk over to someone and stab them.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hah, that janky single digit FPS area is like the first mission after the title card, Jesus. I suspect it's anywhere that has stained glass, too. I was running around the outside of Notre Dame and it was all choppy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
AC: Rogue should have been AC: Rouge, and starred one of the courtesans who helps you get into enemy compounds. They are the true heroes of AC. Speaking of which, I haven't seen any of them in Unity yet.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Don Gato posted:

I have an important question, can I buy historical landmarks again? I thought it was loving hilarious how in Brotherhood and Revelations I could buy/renovate things that no individual had any business owning like the Hagia Sophia and what felt like half the churches in Rome, and the series is poorer for their absence.

Also can I call assassins out of hay bales to murder people again? Sometimes I'm too lazy to actually walk over to someone and stab them.

Don't know for certain but my guess is yes--the last mission I played tutorialized the renovation stuff and it had me buying a church that might have been a landmark, I didn't read any database industry if it came up.

What I'm really curious about, for whatever stupid reason, is the modern stuff in Unity. What's going on there? Anything interesting?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just unlocked the Assassin base. It looks cool, but as far as I can tell the only two things in it so far are a shopkeeper and some glowing thing. I walked up to the glowing thing and activated it- turns out it's just a display of the ranks you can 'unlock' as you progress through the game, from 'Recruit' all the way to 'Legend'- a rank that takes a whopping 600,000 "Creed Points" to get to. No small task, seeing as I've been playing this game for four hours or so and so far I have 5,000 points. I get that I'll probably be unlocking points faster as I get better missions/equipment, but holy crap getting there is probably going to take me the next couple weeks at least and I don't know if I'm even going to be playing it for this long. Oh well, it's a neat little feature. I may as well just close this display and get back to the ga

So since you guys know way more about this game than I do I may as well ask here; Am I hosed? Am I screwed out of anything here? Do I need to just delete the save and start over? I'm just thinking of leaving this alone until they fix it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So since you guys know way more about this game than I do I may as well ask here; Am I hosed? Am I screwed out of anything here? Do I need to just delete the save and start over? I'm just thinking of leaving this alone until they fix it.

It affects nothing. Also is there a way to disable creed point popups because holy poo poo they ruin the game for me more than anything else

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So are ANY of the co-op missions available in single player by myself? I don't have ps plus and my internet connection is dried dog poo poo. Some reviews mentioned a ton of co-op levels, and if they're completely gated off from me I might not even rent it.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Yo I heard you can't pet dogs in Unity. Is this true because what a waste of a game.

this is true and i am sad. however it runs great on my ps4 with slight framerate drops occasionally and i am happy with the overall experience so far

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: very wrong first impression

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Say what you will about Unity but the funny glitches are back in a big way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhl5yjMY0Ws

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
At five seconds into the video the guy does a full 180 snap into the death animation... Guess they didn't have an animation for slicing a dude from behind

Haha actually the first guy did it too... God forbid a game about assassinating people have an animation for stabbing a sword into their back.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Okay I am seeing a LOT of bad performance reviews for Unity on Steam. :stare:

The game doesn't unlock for another 13 hours, but is it even worth getting now? I assume they'll need to patch the poo poo out of it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

It apparently runs fine on Nvidia cards but I have AMD and Ubisoft's official position on that is "lol gently caress you" so unless you got a high-end Nvidia card I would just cancel the preorder at this point.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What they ought to do for the next AC game is devote 100% of their efforts to world-building and character design, and then literally copy-paste every single game mechanic from Shadow of Mordor. They could even keep the wraith stuff and just explain it as Animus hackery.

Also, keep the ship combat team from III, IV and Rogue, give them $Texas, lock them in a development studio with some pizzas and let them do whatever they want for a couple of years. Sell whatever comes out the other end.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Real hurthling! posted:

because mordor isn't powering a billion animations per second on crowds that add nothing to the game, its only drawing a couple dozen awesome fun orc budz for you to mess with in an interesting an engaging way.

In addition to this, the geometry in Shadow of Mordor is much simpler and it doesn't have to worry about rendering interiors for every single house. (Take a close look - in AC:U even houses you can't enter has fake mini-rooms behind every window to give them depth)

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah I'm enjoying it. As usual it's the people who don't try it who complain the most. It's way better than everything in the franchise since AC:B, and no more bugs than usual.

I am also enjoying this game. I just bought a GTX 770 and it is running well enough on high after a bit of tweaking. So far the single player is decent enough, it feels like an Assassins Creed game set in France... Go figure. The game is absolutely beautiful and Arno, vous tes un homme trs beau.

They didn't reinvent the wheel for this game, but they made a few changes that I really enjoy. I always wished you could take cover in these stealthy games, and they put that in. You can't corner around objects, like the side of a table, which sucks, but you can sneak straight across to another object.

A major change they made that is super helpful is BETTER HIDING PLACES! See this building? You can go inside of it! Instead of running around that building and finding nothing but walls or a well that perusing enemies see you jump into, you can just pop inside a window and crouch behind a table or whatever's handy.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
The same idiots that claim their game runs "absolutely flawless on my console!" are the same idiots that genuinely believe there's no noticeable difference between 30 and 60 fps.

I'm sure they feel that 900p and 10-20fps adds a sense of realism to the game, as you can take your time and truly enjoy every single frame.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So uh apparently the microtransactions option was disabled for review copies so that reviewers wouldn't dock points off the game for having them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931099

It could be fake but it does make sense as to why a lot of reviews didn't even mention them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I used to not give a drat about framerate or pop-in. And ever since someone pointed it out to me, its something I can't NOT see. Even in AAA games like Arkham City, I'm still noticing how buildings will suddenly "pop" as they get better textures.

Low framerates are similarly bothersome - I don't mind a 30 FPS (Hi, Shadows of Mordor!), but a framerate that jitters up and down is infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Put in for the PC social club last night