Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

is there literally anything those are acceptable for? like part of me thinks it might be nice to have a cheap tablet i dont have to care about to bring to the gym, but i bet you cant even watch netflix or something
maybe a bedside alarm clock

youve got to understand the screen is going to be absolutely horrible and getting it to respond to touches will likely be dicey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pRCAsb-isM

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

uh samsung is not anroid.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
smasug lol!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sam sung is korean for "I came"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wtf that looks like a video you'd buy on fiverr

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

is that the jigga man on the track?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

LastInLine posted:

burger king has had that chicken sandwich as long as ive been alive and its sucked the whole time

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
THE BEST PART MIGHT BE THE ANIMATIONS

ANDROID STILL DOES NOTIFICATIONS BETTER THAN ANYBODY

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

quote:

Bad Stuff

Strange pauses and lags
Animation can be overbearing
Design is a little rough around the edges

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ios 8 got verge score 8.2 which means android is better than ios in every way, close thread, buy samsung

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm literally motion sick looking at android lollipop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anand says it's a huge (lol) piece of poo poo

quote:

In terms of build quality, Motorola has built a fine device that meets Google's "premium" claim and doesn't make the $650 price feel like a ripoff. The Nexus 6 is very big, and while the size of a device is a pretty personal thing, we think we could deal with it. Today, a lot of people will be put off by the huge size, but don't be surprised if, in a year or two, every flagship Android phone is six inches.

The battery is OK, but we still feel like Motorola could have packed more than a 3220mAh battery into a 6-inch device. Sony's 5.2-inch Z3 has a 3100mAh battery, and 6.1-inch phones from Huawei usually clock in around 4000mAh. A massive battery like that would make the 6-inch screen a lot easier to stomach.

The thing that really bugs us about the Nexus 6 is, why is this device six inches? Lollipop doesn't really do anything to take advantage of the bigger screen. If Google introduced something like split screen app support, we would feel a lot better about lugging something like this around. Right now, nothing justifies the size of the Nexus 6. The battery isn't huge, and you're mostly getting the same Android you'd get on a 5-inch device, just bigger.

Android's biggest update ever revamps nearly every part of the OS.
The real downside is that the device just feels slow, and while maybe Google has some optimization work to do on Lollipop, a big part of it is the slow storage the Nexus 6 was saddled with. It's not as fast as the Nexus 5, and it loads bigger games about as quickly as the Nexus 4, a phone from 2012.
smythe you should hold onto your nexus 4 or get a nexus 5 which sunder can get to you in a reasonable time frame

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

but does it bend with normal use

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endless Mike posted:

smythe you should hold onto your nexus 4 or get a nexus 5 which sunder can get to you in a reasonable time frame

my current plan

also holding out hope for a nexus 5 (2015) in the spring/summer maybe

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

only good phones bend with normal use

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

heh sweet crowdsourced meme reply

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

hell even ron amadeo over at ars says its lovely

i can't embed the video but watch this comparing it to a Nexus 5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

oh lol that quote is from ars, not anand. i get those a sites confused since they're the only two not completely awful tech sites

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

LastInLine posted:

yikes

phablets are bad, film at 11

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i need to know smythe's opinion on the matter

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

LastInLine posted:

looooooolll

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it wasn't even the badly made app that was hitching and running slow, they all did

lol

this is that premium android expierence today????

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

looooooolll
you might appreciate this page the most

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

this is that premium android expierence today????
yes it is

by that i mean the phone on the left

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

butt dickus posted:

i need to know smythe's opinion on the matter

shoes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

LastInLine posted:

you might appreciate this page the most

aaaaaahahahhahahahahahah

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

even funnier is how the iphone 6+ has a worse screen in every way to the iPhone 6

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

uh samsung is not anroid.

lol

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

lmao no way

"art, android's new runtime is faster than dalvik*"

*in benchmarks, not in actual UI responsiveness

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the runtime doesn't matter if your cheap emmc has lovely sequential reads

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Soldier of Fortran posted:

lmao no way

"art, android's new runtime is faster than dalvik*"

*in benchmarks, not in actual UI responsiveness

eh, art actually is faster, the n6 is just bad

it feels faster on my n4 with the dev-optional version anyway

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

butt dickus posted:

the runtime doesn't matter if your cheap emmc has lovely sequential reads

triple level crap more like!

E: triple level hell

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

oh, ok. that's a bit less bad. aren't sequential & random reads the thing emmc controllers are usually really good at, though?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

holy poo poo this is a bad phone

even nexus rotation has always been the lovely rotation but drat

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

quote:

It's a sudden, jarring change

quote:

It's also, at times, garish.

quote:

App menu headers are bold reds and blues greens, but there's no logic to the system of colors to match the logic of animation

quote:

Even those animations can get a little overbearing. It's great when you first start using Lollipop, but once you get your bearings, you kind of wish they'd go a little faster.

quote:

there are lots of places where it's hard to tell what's happening. For example, in settings, text can be a number of things: a button to take you deeper into a menu, a heading that does nothing, a button that toggles a switch off to the right, or a button that activates a pop-up menu.

quote:

I am mortified to find that Android still seems to offer different interfaces for text selection and cut/copy/paste in different corners of the OS — to say nothing of the fact that the icons are still vague and the widgets for selecting text are frustratingly small (oh, and vary in color depending on the app).

quote:

a new attempt to make a coherent Quick Settings panel. Google messes with these toggles in every iteration of Android, usually to middling effect. It's the same story here.

quote:

Google says that it automatically tries to guess which settings you want to flip and shows you those. What I want is "Mobile Hotspot." What I get instead is "Invert Colors," with no way to manually change it. Maddening.

quote:

It's an idea that is great in theory but can be hard to think through in execution, especially when it comes to keeping track of your Chrome tabs. At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I'll say that Duarte did a better job at Palm with this idea way back in 2009 with webOS

quote:

if you use Face Unlock, it now just works in the background while you're messing about with notifications on your lock screen. Unfortunately, in my testing, it's not any more reliable than it used to be — which is to say, not much.

quote:

Google is also touting "Tap and Go," which uses NFC to transfer account information from one phone to another. [...] it's still nowhere near the phone-replacement experience on iOS.

quote:

I had been hoping that default full-device encryption (another Lollipop feature) would mean we'd get full phone backups and restores: accounts, logins, and all. Nope.

quote:

I will say that on both the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9, the performance story is mixed. Moments of pure speed and smoothness are interrupted by inexplicable pauses. Battery life is very difficult to pin down, too.

quote:

Android 5.0 is very much a "Dot Oh" update — and that means bugs.

quote:

a new version of Android is always accompanied with questions: will existing devices get an update? When will new devices begin shipping with the new OS? As ever, there aren't clear answers

quote:

the changes are huge, but there are still some bugs that need to get ironed out

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Soldier of Fortran posted:

oh, ok. that's a bit less bad. aren't sequential & random reads the thing emmc controllers are usually really good at, though?

basically, to make the larger flash chips possible they try to cram more bits into each flash cell. this means they're slower and more prone to error.

it's all large emmc chips they all suck, apple is feeling it with the 128gb devices:
http://www.dailytech.com/Report+128GB+iPhone+6+Boot+Loop+Issues+Prompt+Apple+to+Abandon+TLC+NAND/article36854.htm

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

does lollipop still have the weird 'card comes up from bottom of screen' animation when opening an app? when I had the dev preview on my n4 before i got rid of it (well, i got mugged. same difference) that always felt really weird and jarring. like ios seamlessly, instantly zooms into the icon and the app opens while with android you get the old stalwart half a second of unresponsiveness then the app opens in a manner utterly disconnected from where you tapped. it felt really odd, like what connection oes a card sliding up have with you poking a static object?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

not that i would defend the verge but most of that is just idiot garbage from someone who knows nothing about ux

lollipop is fine and everything works well and looks nice with a couple lol anroid moments in there

ofc the "inexplicable pauses" are v. explicable: the nexus 6 and the nexus 9 are both poo poo

• Locked thread