Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pervis posted:

I must've read something more negative, in a comment somewhere attached to an article. Most of what I've found isn't substantial and doesn't indicate that we're backing down, just that the two sides agree we should try to avoid further friction and conflict over it. There's vague references, but only that so far:

http://time.com/3577820/apec-climate-change-barack-obama-xi-jinping-greenhouse-gas/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/kerry-urges-us-china-cooperation-climate-change-26678087

There's some other notes about China and the Phillipines having constructive talks, too http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/11/china-apec-philippines-idUSL3N0T11OQ20141111

The WSJ article has slightly more detail: http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-china-ready-deals-to-avert-military-confrontations-1415721451

quote:

Xi and Obama also reached two new agreements designed to avert military confrontations in Asia, one on notifying each other of major activities, such as military exercises, and the other on rules of behavior for encounters at sea and in the air.

quote:

The notification mechanism covers policy and strategy developments, and observation of military exercises and activities, while the rules of behavior include details on encounters between naval surface vessels, according to a White House statement.

The U.S. would prioritize developing details on air-to-air encounters, and completing a mechanism to inform each other of ballistic missile launches, the statement said.

Which sounds like the Incsea agreements we had with the soviets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

You and I need to swap social circles then, because I swear to god if I hear "tone argument" misused by one more "activist" who curiously never volunteers for anything I'm going to unhinge my jaw and swallow them whole.

If you're talking about white people in leftist circles who attempt shut down anyone who disagrees with them, especially PoC or women by using social justice terms then yeah I hear you

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Trabisnikof posted:

The WSJ article has slightly more detail: http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-china-ready-deals-to-avert-military-confrontations-1415721451

Which sounds like the Incsea agreements we had with the soviets.
That actually makes a lot of sense. On that note, I wonder what the Chinese position is w/r/t the current Russian aggression that's going on. I don't mean just Ukraine, I mean expanding the area sorties fly, sending naval vessels out further, the sub incident with Sweden and so on. Putin is clearly adopting a very provocative posture and the Chinese tend to try to avoid that level of provocation against powerful countries, but they also need the energy. Must put Xi Jinping in quite a pickle.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. On that note, I wonder what the Chinese position is w/r/t the current Russian aggression that's going on. I don't mean just Ukraine, I mean expanding the area sorties fly, sending naval vessels out further, the sub incident with Sweden and so on. Putin is clearly adopting a very provocative posture and the Chinese tend to try to avoid that level of provocation against powerful countries, but they also need the energy. Must put Xi Jinping in quite a pickle.

I think you know the answer to this.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Read while playing this in the background.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fried Chicken posted:

Just so I'm clear guys - we are taking all the fun parts of this thread like image edits, booze chat, discussing 2016, discussing regional issues, effort posts, and discussing congress control and shifting them over to their own threads, while leaving this one for Amergin trolling and feminism fights?

I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as the rest of you

If a D&D thread doesn't make you want to commit suicide, it's not doing its job.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zeitgueist posted:

If you're talking about white people in leftist circles who attempt shut down anyone who disagrees with them, especially PoC or women by using social justice terms then yeah I hear you

Yep. Seems to be a lot of white guys (and to a lesser extent, white women) shutting down women and PoC when they try to make the argument that getting actively involved in organized movements is more effective than carping at each other to "raise awareness". "I agree with you but think this is a more effective messaging strategy" is the opposite of a tone argument because it accepts the point being made. And having that applied to when Rev Barber came for Moral Mondays was particularly infuriating.

Though given that a goodly chunk of these people I met through vaguely leftist meet ups, it probably self selects for assholes.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Bring back the Republican Rebuilding thread. Name it: Republican Rebuilding December Thread: We Rebuilt That!

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Which is a shame because we really do need a term for the tumblr-ites and the ones you mention. I've seen things about the meme-ification of social justice, and "postmodern rhetoric", how hugely complex bodies of thought with libraries worth of effort and consideration over hundreds of years are getting boiled down to a quick sound byte that ignores shitloads of history, academic thought, and understanding, and how that is a problem.

Like take "microaggression". In an academic discussion it is hugely useful term for a specific set of actions. In the general usage it's a totem of "I'm on this side, not that" as a synonym for "something said or done I didn't like". You see the same thing on the right, like Cruz's net neutrality tweet the other day. "Obamacare" doesn't mean the legislation anymore, its a symbol for "you should hate this"

There really needs to be a term for this

The misappropriation of terms for political speech is as old as politics, but I would also say that the misappropriation of "microaggression" is different from Cruz's "Obamacare" usage, which is really more of a dog whistle (although only a tangentially racist one at this point).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So can we attach Jonathan Gruber to a rocket and blast him into space? Yes, no?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Yep. Seems to be a lot of white guys (and to a lesser extent, white women) shutting down women and PoC when they try to make the argument that getting actively involved in organized movements is more effective than carping at each other to "raise awareness". "I agree with you but think this is a more effective messaging strategy" is the opposite of a tone argument because it accepts the point being made. And having that applied to when Rev Barber came for Moral Mondays was particularly infuriating.

Though given that a goodly chunk of these people I met through vaguely leftist meet ups, it probably self selects for assholes.

There's a whole lot of folks who want to go to vaguely leftist meetups to feel important and exercise some sort of power as vocal white people, and it just reinforces existing power structures and that's for sure a huge problem, and I'm not really sure what the answers. You don't want to completely lose privileged folks if they're willing to help, but it's super hard to explain to someone they've acted in a privileged manner, especially if they're already aware of the terminology and think that by acknowledging the concept they're immune to it. Something you see even on this board.

There's something to be said for messaging and social media activity, there's a place for that, but yeah if that's all someone wants to do and they want to be as heard as the people out doing direct action and networking with other groups and coalition building, they suck. That's slacktivism, tied in with all the privilege isssues.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Amused to Death posted:

So can we attach Jonathan Gruber to a rocket and blast him into space? Yes, no?

Not with NASA funding as it is currently, and private industry examples of late raise questions as to whether we could get him into orbit or not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Something Awful > Debate & Discussion: "What we need are more options. Nothing's going to change until there's a third party to challenge the two-headed snake!"

Something Awful > Debate & Discussion: "gently caress you dumb retards voting 3rd party and costing center-right Democratic candidates elections!"

If Ralph Nader or some Green Party nobody cost Al Gore or John Kerry votes, then that says more about Gore and Kerry than the people who actually took the time to conscientiously vote. I voted third party in 2000 and I lived in Florida. Know why? Because gently caress Joe Lieberman that's why, then and now. I still think it was the right choice and I'd do it again, especially given what Lieberman has done since then.

Would I have preferred Gore won? Of course. He DID win. But he was a poo poo candidate who ran a poo poo campaign who chose a human piece of garbage that represents everything I oppose as a running mate. Then he distanced himself from an already center-right president who was very popular and pretty successful just to pander to the center and to avoid talking about sex and adultery.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reminder: the reason Jonathan Gruber was consulting with the administration on PPACA is that he was the architect of Romneycare.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

BiggerBoat posted:

Something Awful > Debate & Discussion: "What we need are more options. Nothing's going to change until there's a third party to challenge the two-headed snake!"

Something Awful > Debate & Discussion: "gently caress you dumb retards voting 3rd party and costing center-right Democratic candidates elections!"

If Ralph Nader or some Green Party nobody cost Al Gore or John Kerry votes, then that says more about Gore and Kerry than the people who actually took the time to conscientiously vote. I voted third party in 2000 and I lived in Florida. Know why? Because gently caress Joe Lieberman that's why, then and now. I still think it was the right choice and I'd do it again, especially given what Lieberman has done since then.

Would I have preferred Gore won? Of course. He DID win. But he was a poo poo candidate who ran a poo poo campaign who chose a human piece of garbage that represents everything I oppose as a running mate. Then he distanced himself from an already center-right president who was very popular and pretty successful just to pander to the center and to avoid talking about sex and adultery.

Yeah that's basically liberal boards everywhere. The system is unlikely to offer us anything besides two lovely parties with one less lovely than the other. It's also unlikely to change.

People should work towards change but if you don't acknowledge it's a tough uphill battle from the beginning your'e going to burn out.

Also if you do acknowledge that you're probably going to burn out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Reminder: the reason Jonathan Gruber was consulting with the administration on PPACA is that he was the architect of Romneycare.

Oh so he's taking it down from the inside.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joementum posted:

The chairman of the Select Committee on Benghazi is already on the case.

quote:

"It's really serious in a participatory democracy when you tell your fellow citizens that you're either not smart enough to understand the truth or we can't tell you the truth because you wouldn't go along with it. Well, if you wouldn't go along with it, maybe you shouldn't pass the law."

The question now is: did Lois Lerner try to email Gruber about these comments and was she told to stand down?

Even weirder is that I've heard Rush Limbaugh and Herman Cain, amongst others, call voters "stupid" and "low information" just over the last two days - and that's after they won an election supposedly affirming the intelligence of U.S. voters.

E:

McDowell posted:

Remember when we preemptively invaded a sovereign country while the President disregarded opinion polls because he knew what was best?

Public opinion polls overwhelmingly favored an Iraq invasion.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the SCOTUS just lifted the stay on same sex marriage in Kansas

Also, there are reports of an earthquake coming in from Wichita

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

So the SCOTUS just lifted the stay on same sex marriage in Kansas

Also, there are reports of an earthquake coming in from Wichita

Service is gonna be fun this Sunday huh

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz is not the only never-getting-nominated Presidential candidate with some thoughts on the series of tubes.

Warning: don't try to think too hard about how net neutrality is at all like the fairness doctrine. Donald didn't.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz is not the only never-getting-nominated Presidential candidate with some thoughts on the series of tubes.

Warning: don't try to think too hard about how net neutrality is at all like the fairness doctrine. Donald didn't.
Just reading this gave me an aneurysm. Thanks Donald.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

I dunno how Trump can be a never-getting-nominated POTUS candidate if he's never going to actually pull the trigger on running.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

To be fair his head is at least 60% toupee at this point.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

The Fairness Doctrine "punished" those who were least fair, just like net neutrality would (if we ever get it, which we won't)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Current paranoid conspiracy theory: Obama coming out for net neutrality is a play by him to get legislation passed against it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Fried Chicken posted:

a third Gruber's video has been found

I gotta admit I am amazed at the strength of the right wing media machine that they starting to sandblast away memories of 5 years ago and the year long very public fights very public explanations and difficult slog of getting the ACA passed to replace them with a narrative spun out of desperation to support their latest legal challenge with the comments of one guy

My own Senator, Angus King, appeared on Fox & Friends in their attempt to solidify this narrative. King was having none of their attempts to shift the narrative against the ACA, and even got a bit salty about it. My senator :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't see how these two statements are logically consistent, unless we take the approach of "one vote doesn't matter."

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

BiggerBoat posted:

You really think that Al Gore/Joe Lieberman would have been a worse president or VP than Bush and Cheney? Could you explain some more? In your position, I would feel really guilty, and I don't fully get where you're coming from.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

William Bear posted:

You really think that Al Gore/Joe Lieberman would have been a worse president or VP than Bush and Cheney? Could ypu explain some more? In your position, I would feel really guilty, and I don't fully get where you're coming from.

VP would probably be a better place for Lieberman in all honesty unless you think he subscribes to the "LBJ killed Kennedy" theory.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I voted third party in 2000 and I lived in Florida. Know why? Because gently caress Joe Lieberman that's why, then and now. I still think it was the right choice and I'd do it again, especially given what Lieberman has done since then.

Millions of people died and will die because of this. Thanks Hitler.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, "I think you have to earn your way into politics. I don't think anything is ever given to you." ~ George W. Bush.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zeitgueist posted:

Nah, it's been applied to anyone who gave a poo poo about bigotry for years, but the refrain was always "we just mean the really out there people on tumblr(which you are basically for telling me that MRA's are misogynists)"

It must've been niche? First use I saw was as a self-applied moniker to crazy shitheads from deep within the bowels of Tumblr.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember the first time I saw the term was by generally progressive people to describe otherkin and transethnic kooks (no, don't tell me how many subcultures I'm missing in this post) on Tumblr in the ancient mock threads.

Now, it seems to be used to smear anyone to the left of Allen West.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

Donald doesn't actually care about becoming president though, he's like Palin in that any such activity is solely to bilk more money out of idiots.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Note that "Tumblrite" itself is an insult almost always directed towards women.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Accretionist posted:

It must've been niche? First use I saw was as a self-applied moniker to crazy shitheads from deep within the bowels of Tumblr.

Not for years that I've seen.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Now, it seems to be used to smear anyone to the left of Allen West.

That too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So looks like net neutrality is completely hosed.

Where are all the people who said we had nothing to worry about cause this Wheeler dude wasn't a lobbyist?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
In news that doesn't make me want to kill myself:

quote:

The federal government is about to put $100 million behind a simple idea: doubling the value of SNAP benefits — what used to be called food stamps — when people use them to buy local fruits and vegetables.

Nice!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
It says everything about how cynical the past few years have made me that my first reaction wasn't "neat!", but rather "lobbying to rewrite the classification of "local fruits and vegetables in 3...2...". :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ketchup count?

• Locked thread