Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Is it really solid? I'm gonna wait for bargain bin but if it's actually AC4-level or thereabouts it'll probably be fun.

Aside from being on a less powerful console, it is very solid, even for a new release. The only real holdover bug from AC4 is sound effects not playing on time during combat or sailing. They've improved on things as well, for instance sailing has more weapons and the control scheme is a little different, but I'd say it's better. They added new weapons, so along with sleep and berserk darts, you get a grenade launcher as well. It is, as said, basically AC4-2 with different characters/setting. I've got like 13-14 hours logged and all I can say about it is it's really fun.

Also performance shouldn't be an issue if they are putting on PC. We just have to hope it's a good port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lunethex posted:

All this Ubisoft hate doesn't make sense to me. The game is perfectly playable. To be honest if there's a problem it's more likely on your end

Don't be an apologist. How can it be on our end? You saying everyone has bad consoles?

I can't believe how many people come out of the woodwork to either shill for Ubi or (more likely) make themselves feel better about buying one of the most broken games made in who knows how long.

Somewhere in some dark basement, Evolution Studios is timidly cheering that Ubi came along to take some of the heat off of them for Driveclub.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

To be honest if there's a problem it's more likely on your end

I'm honestly curious. How is it on my end?

im pooping! posted:

Aside from being on a less powerful console, it is very solid, even for a new release. The only real holdover bug from AC4 is sound effects not playing on time during combat or sailing. They've improved on things as well, for instance sailing has more weapons and the control scheme is a little different, but I'd say it's better. They added new weapons, so along with sleep and berserk darts, you get a grenade launcher as well. It is, as said, basically AC4-2 with different characters/setting. I've got like 13-14 hours logged and all I can say about it is it's really fun.

Also performance shouldn't be an issue if they are putting on PC. We just have to hope it's a good port.

That sounds pretty good honestly. Thanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

Don't be an apologist. How can it be on our end? You saying everyone has bad consoles?

At least a few are playing on the Xbox One.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Lunethex posted:

All this Ubisoft hate doesn't make sense to me. The game is perfectly playable.

I can't enter the 2 southeastern districts because the game crashes when I try. I've seen a couple of other goons mention it so it's not only me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Game can have missing textures and a ragdoll that totally not realistic! Stop the presses never seen before ever things in games!

I posted them because they are funny you loving spaz. You don't need to defend Ubisoft's honor.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lunethex posted:

All this Ubisoft hate doesn't make sense to me. The game is perfectly playable.

Tenzarin posted:

its cool you don't like it go talk on reddit or gamefaqs how you are unsatisfied in one of the simplest games ever made.

this is loving gold

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Game can have missing textures and a ragdoll that totally not realistic! Stop the presses never seen before ever things in games!

Ubisoft appreciates your support

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the game is playable in that you play it and it sucks worse than any other ac game for just the game mechanic reasons alone, without even talking about performance, but yes 'playable' for sure

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Lunethex has done all the tech support for Ubisoft in this thread, if your console is having problems, well it's expected because they're consoles and not super powerful. If you're having problems on the PC, well, it's your computer and fault, the program works fine.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Lunethex posted:

All this Ubisoft hate doesn't make sense to me. The game is perfectly playable. To be honest if there's a problem it's more likely on your end

A metacritic score of 76 with a user score of 3.3 based on 397 ratings, NINE HUNDRED AND TWELVE negative steam reviews, 2 to 3 out of 5 for all systems on amazon reviews...

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Are 7950s outdated already? Only got one two years ago and this is what I get on the lowest settings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blister posted:

Lunethex has done all the tech support for Ubisoft in this thread, if your console is having problems, well it's expected because they're consoles and not super powerful. If you're having problems on the PC, well, it's your computer and fault, the program works fine.

I enjoy the argument of "well, consoles have framerate dips" as is frequently 20FPS (or less) is to be expected even on consoles.

I'm not particularly FPS-snob when it comes to games like this. I don't mind minor dips and I only really demand 60 FPS on games where it really really matters (which AC doesn't.) I mean obviously I'd prefer it was 60 but whatever, a solid 30FPS isn't gonna kill me. This is the worst framerate I've seen in a game in ages and the only once I've played this year where it honestly makes me a little motion sick to play it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

rizuhbull posted:

Only got one two years ago

Dogg, in the world of computing, you're lucky if the GPU you bought two months ago isn't outdated.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Well, that settles that.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Dogg, in the world of computing, you're lucky if the GPU you bought two months ago isn't outdated.
Funny then that every other modern game I play works fine. I know futureproofing is impossible, but come the gently caress on, ubi. There are nicer looking games that run smoother.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
So far I haven't noticed anything on my end glitch wise besides some NPCs being a bit weird (like in the mission where you try to give that letter to your step dad the crowd NPCs sometimes decided to stand on barrels). I did have to turn the graphics to poo poo mode though, or else it was stuttery as hell. My computer could run AC4 on default settings just fine. It does seem like the gameplay is less fun than AC4 and certainly lacks the charm of Kenway and being a pirate. I don't like Arno already.

(For reference I can also run Shadow of Mordor with fairly pretty graphics and no lag).

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Look, when you purchase software the most you should expect out of it is that it runs and sometimes won't crash. Any expectations beyond that and you're being a whiny entitled bitch looking to disparage corporations who probably have our best interests in mind.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
To those of you who are on the fence about buying this game, please don't. I'm really enjoying reading your posts about how bad the game you've never played is. :allears:

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Carew posted:

Look, when you purchase software the most you should expect out of it is that it runs and sometimes won't crash. Any expectations beyond that and you're being a whiny entitled bitch looking to disparage corporations who probably have our best interests in mind.
Where's Colin 'You're all entitled brats' Moriarty when you need him?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

rizuhbull posted:

Are 7950s outdated already? Only got one two years ago and this is what I get on the lowest settings.

Not got Unity but mine destroys most games at 1440p, apart from Watch_Dogs, there were some posts before about AMD playing catch-up with their drivers, though, so it may improve.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

rizuhbull posted:

You can probably crank up the settings. It seems like most options don't really impact performance that much if you're already CPU limited.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

Funny then that every other modern game I play works fine. I know futureproofing is impossible, but come the gently caress on, ubi. There are nicer looking games that run smoother.

You'll probably be fine with a 7950 for quite a while, though the 2 gigs may start to limit you soonish. This game isn't optimized at all, and AMD is always going to be behind on drivers for games that "run best on Nvidia", which while it isn't their fault really is one of the reasons that led me to buy a 970.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vodos posted:

I can't enter the 2 southeastern districts because the game crashes when I try. I've seen a couple of other goons mention it so it's not only me.

If you are on PC verify your game cache/installation. It was happening to Iron Rose and his game was corrupted, he did not say if it fixed it. I don't know how you do this on a console, you should really be happy if it even loads the game, I guess i mean it is just a console.

I get paid 5 helix points per post asking people who don't enjoy the game to go do something else.

AC4 Black Flag post: "I hate black flag, I hope unity is better"
AC Unity post: "I hate unity, black flag is the final asscreed"

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 13, 2014

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KittySpinEcho posted:

To those of you who are on the fence about buying this game, please don't. I'm really enjoying reading your posts about how bad the game you've never played is. :allears:

haha it's ok dude you don't need to project these things to feel better about your crappy purchase

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tenzarin posted:

If you are on PC verify your game cache/installation. It was happening to Iron Rose and his game was corrupted, he did not say if it fixed it. I don't know how you do this on a console, you should really be happy if it even loads the game, I guess i mean it is just a console.
:laffo:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Well thats too bad. I did enjoy black flag for the music and pirating poo poo. Best pirate game ever imo. The aminus bits feel fourth wall breaking but whatever. Was black flag like this on release??

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Burns posted:

Well thats too bad. I did enjoy black flag for the music and pirating poo poo. Best pirate game ever imo. The aminus bits feel fourth wall breaking but whatever. Was black flag like this on release??

For consoles (PS3 at least), it ran just fine for me, I think it had issues on PC though.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
PC version chiming in. I guess I'm in the minority because mine runs perfectly. This is my first AC game so I have no frame of reference but so far I am having lots of fun. I'm really enjoying the stealth mechanics. I'm wondering if anyone knows if you need to be up to a certain point in the single player game before you can play co-op, as we're looking to do this tonight. One buddy is still not at the point where you get the hidden blade and official assassin clothes, which is where I would assume the actual game starts.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Watch_dogs freaking ran better at launch with higher settings than this game does lol. And for all the people who say this is running great, it would be nice if you would say how far along/where you are at in the game. It ran fine for me until about 7 hours in and I got to the southern parts, then it just went to complete poo poo on my nvidia 770gtx with latest drivers and an i74770k

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 13, 2014

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can't access online stuff at all. It's giving me some error code [0x60000001] whenever I try to access brotherhood stuff, or online leaderboards or anything. I thought I may be able to wring some fun out of this by doing some co op with my brother and I can't even do that.

This is me this error code for all the things.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!

Klauser posted:

PC version chiming in. I guess I'm in the minority because mine runs perfectly. This is my first AC game so I have no frame of reference but so far I am having lots of fun. I'm really enjoying the stealth mechanics. I'm wondering if anyone knows if you need to be up to a certain point in the single player game before you can play co-op, as we're looking to do this tonight. One buddy is still not at the point where you get the hidden blade and official assassin clothes, which is where I would assume the actual game starts.

You need to become an assassin first. Coop becomes available at the end of sequence 2, it's about 45 minutes into the game. I recommend you guys give "The Tournament" a go. It gives you some pretty sweet mid-high level gear, which is nice to start out with. You have to go through 3 challenges, first is a stealth challenge where you guys have to pick pocket some dudes, the second is a parkour challenge obstacle course, and the 3rd is a fighting competition where you need to raise 4 flags and kill lots of mans. There are a ton to pick from though, the painting heists are a lot of fun too. Add me on UPlay if you guys want, I'm Spin_Echo and join the goon club, SAAC.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Rogue. The gameplay is fine, but I find myself completely unable to pay any attention to the plot, my wife is complaining about everyone being an idiot, and the direction for the voice acting is meh at best.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that sounds like an Assassin's Creed game.
Usually I like the plot (historical and modern {though ACIII historical was shite}), but this seems more disjointed than usual. It doesn't help that I'm still pretty early along in the game and I can only play for a few hours once my 6 month old is asleep and I'm off my ADD meds, but things seem to be jumping around way too much, at least in terms of location.

Jethro fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jethro posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Rogue. The gameplay is fine, but I find myself completely unable to pay any attention to the plot, my wife is complaining about everyone being an idiot, and the direction for the voice acting is meh at best.

To be fair that sounds like an Assassin's Creed game.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
The game is beautiful but god drat the crashing is terrible. Every time I join a COOP game it dies within two or three minutes.

God drat, I can't even post on their tech support boards because their web poo poo is crashing. Remind me not to pre-order Ubisoft stuff ever again.

BattleSausage fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 13, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tenzarin posted:

I get paid 5 helix points per post asking people who don't enjoy the game to go do something else.

Her, and pretty sure that it was the opening cutscene files that I deleted. Don't notice a huge difference to be honest, but oh well.

Also I legitimately think that Black Flag has better core combat and gameplay. That being said the parkour in Unity is pretty chill and I really really like it, even if I do get stuck on geometry a lot. In all the earlier assassin's creeds I never felt like I was battling with the controls or geometry. I do here.

Also I really want rogue for PC :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

KittySpinEcho posted:

You need to become an assassin first. Coop becomes available at the end of sequence 2, it's about 45 minutes into the game. I recommend you guys give "The Tournament" a go. It gives you some pretty sweet mid-high level gear, which is nice to start out with. You have to go through 3 challenges, first is a stealth challenge where you guys have to pick pocket some dudes, the second is a parkour challenge obstacle course, and the 3rd is a fighting competition where you need to raise 4 flags and kill lots of mans. There are a ton to pick from though, the painting heists are a lot of fun too. Add me on UPlay if you guys want, I'm Spin_Echo and join the goon club, SAAC.

I think all of the 5 star co op missions give some pretty slick gear, the women's march one did also.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tenzarin posted:

Hello I would like to know more about your position regarding AC: Unity and why you think it's good. And uhhhh I don't know much about consoles but surely there isn't much that should be going wrong with them (as they are pretty much plug n play) so wouldn't that mean that something is wrong with the game?

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
I just fired up this on PC. I have "mimimum requirements" , as in a GTX 680.(although I am good on the CPU and memory side)
So far (I am still in versailles) game is running pretty smoothly with high textures and nvidia features on medium. I haven't seen any bad framerate (only occasional stutter on cutscenes) and glitches are limited to the random NPC standing on tables, but nothing to make me facepalm. Game feels a bit different from previous installments. I like the improved freerunning and parkour seems better. COmbat is somewhat slow and clunky, but maybe I will get used to it.
Game is definitely improvable. a lot. I agree they should have worked on it longer and tested it throughly. I think that high end pc users , after some patching and with nvidia tuned drivers will find it playable and fun. But I know that's the minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Don't worry they've sorted the important things first

• Locked thread