Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
Very good movie. I enjoyed it a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah, they did. they never outright explain the systems's set up, but it's a binary system with a neutron star and a black hole, which is why the black hole has that crazy bright disk around it. it's an accretion disk or the light is gravitationally lensed or something. the planets have atmospheres because they do. lets be honest extra-terrestrial geology is basically a field comprised of 100% radio emissions observation and a few best guesses about venus and mars. they mention the neutron star off-hand while they are planning which planet to land first, but i guess they just assumed everyone would take it in good faith like the wormholes and expecting people to know that gravity is a one-dimensional force.

basically as a turbonerd i loved the movie and i enjoyed that the action scenes were actiony without aliens, which is what the preview trailer made me think.

they forgot about a very crucial thing

X RAYS FROM THE BLACK HOLE/NEUTRON STAR WOULD FRY EVERY loving LIVING THING AROUND IT

for a guy who cared about scientific laws in the movie, he ignored everything that would make that place an inhabitable hell star system

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Top City Homo posted:

they forgot about a very crucial thing

X RAYS FROM THE BLACK HOLE/NEUTRON STAR WOULD FRY EVERY loving LIVING THING AROUND IT

for a guy who cared about scientific laws in the movie, he ignored everything that would make that place an inhabitable hell star system

Hell dimension, dude. Nolan missed out this is what I'm saying

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

pfizerman posted:

Hell dimension, dude. Nolan missed out this is what I'm saying

that would be amazing actually

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

they already made that movie sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6d3h-NpS8

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Top City Homo posted:

that would be amazing actually

Event Horizon 2 - Spaceman Slapfight Boogaloo

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/peaceful-skeleton-realm-abh/30200/

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i really wanted to see a screne where they shoot their poop into the black hole and matt mconaughay says "from my black hole to urs..." in a really profound way and a zero g tear floats from his eye as he looks thoughtfully into space

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
heard that big babby Niel Tyson cryin' about this movie :qq:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harald posted:

heard that big babby Niel Tyson cryin' about this movie :qq:

I like the story how Tyson whined to James Cameron about the stars being wrong in Titanic at fundraiser event and Cameron answered back that he was sure the movie would have made billions of more in the box office with more accurate stars.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Four dimensions from a black hole? But everyone knows black holes are only two dimensional.

P.S. Firewalls.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

The 1950s except for the whole segregation thing.

Most of that aged like poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

etalian posted:

I like the story how Tyson whined to James Cameron about the stars being wrong in Titanic at fundraiser event and Cameron answered back that he was sure the movie would have made billions of more in the box office with more accurate stars.

Actually it seems like Tyson was just making conversation and Cameron was a defensive little puss-bear because he spent so much time trying to be period-accurate yet overlooked an obvious detail.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Why is everyone bitching about the bookcase tesseract?

McConaughey fall in Black Hole.

Fifth Dimensional beings save him from falling forever in his Third Dimension and take them to their Fifth Dimension where time is a physical thing that can seen and interacted with using Gravity.

Fifth Dimensional beings use the Tesseract to convey their concept to McConaughey who being a third dimensional being would understand things better/more easily in three dimensions.

The reason for the book case maybe because it would be the closest/convenient time to relay a message for maximum impact. Also maybe the reason he can't just enter the room is that two copies of yourself can't coexist in the same time frame as it puts a huge strain on the space time continuum for whatever reason.

The science isn't too far fetched, but it's all quantum physics and theories that maybe be proved right or wrong in a few years. They explain it all in the film.

Fifth dimensional beings are basically the film's Deus Ex Machina that they purposely can't over use otherwise you start to ask if they can save Space-McConaughey, why cant they just save the earth themselves?

It needs editing down to 2 hours 30. But it was better than inception, so that's something.

I did laugh out loud when Brant(?) (Anne Hathaway) said she felt she had to go to the third planet because of love. The exact same way I did when Shaw in Prometheus said "because I believe it". Two great instances of scientists throwing out all logic.

I think we can all agree that TARS is the hero we deserved.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
XRAYS

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

you know how you have gradients in photoshop:

imagine that white is "some gravity" and black is "a hell of a lot more gravity" and you're falling through that in the space of like two feet. You never experience this on earth but falling into a back hole yeah you're going to have that. You don't get compressed, you get stretched, and because (at least the way I understand it which is probably super lovely and wrong) the closer you get to the black hole, the sharper the gravity gradient becomes, so your head is falling at a certain speed but your feet are falling a lot faster so you won't be super comfortable (you'll be jello). Also the closer to the black hole you get, the faster you're pulled, up to - but not quite ever reaching - the speed of light, and the closer you get to the speed of light, the more time is dilated and the slower the rest of the universe is, so while your feet are almost touching the surface of the black hole, your head is experiencing a dramatically different time rate and that can't be super comfortable either even if you weren't being stretched into jello which you are so

yeah w/e cool movie i guess

canjnot wait for the grim dark future where we execute people by tossing them into black holes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This, like Inception, takes such cool concepts and makes them convoluted to the point where all joy and entertainment is lost.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This, like Inception, takes such cool concepts and makes them convoluted to the point where all joy and entertainment is lost.

lets make a dream world and attempt to overexplain and rationalize it to the point of non-enjoyment because im christopher nolan and i am a terrible loving writer

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Fifth Dimensional beings save him from falling forever in his Third Dimension and take them to their Fifth Dimension where time is a physical thing that can seen and interacted with using Gravity.

Fifth Dimensional beings use the Tesseract to convey their concept to McConaughey who being a third dimensional being would understand things better/more easily in three dimensions.

The reason for the book case maybe because it would be the closest/convenient time to relay a message for maximum impact. Also maybe the reason he can't just enter the room is that two copies of yourself can't coexist in the same time frame as it puts a huge strain on the space time continuum for whatever reason.

The science isn't too far fetched, but it's all quantum physics and theories that maybe be proved right or wrong in a few years. They explain it all in the film.

Fifth dimensional beings are basically the film's Deus Ex Machina that they purposely can't over use otherwise you start to ask if they can save Space-McConaughey, why cant they just save the earth themselves?

we're laughing because it's dumb, fyi

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Frostwerks posted:

canjnot wait for the grim dark future where we execute people by tossing them into black holes.

super massive black holes dont spegetify objects but they do bombard them with so much radiation that anything that goes there unshielded dies

XRAYS

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
hell yes my favorite part of the movie is how they didnt die when they went in the black hole

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Gunbuster was already about the power of love and time dilation and poo poo, but it also had huge anime boobs and even huger robots beating the gently caress out of some badass aliens.

Chris Nolan, get your poo poo together.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It needs editing down to 2 hours 30. But it was better than inception, so that's something.

I did laugh out loud when Brant(?) (Anne Hathaway) said she felt she had to go to the third planet because of love. The exact same way I did when Shaw in Prometheus said "because I believe it". Two great instances of scientists throwing out all logic.

I think we can all agree that TARS is the hero we deserved.

Noone cares about the science there's nothing in science that says it has to br a magic bookcase that was a decision by the writer and it was a bad one

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

pfizerman posted:

we're laughing because it's dumb, fyi

All movies are dumb, fyi. It fits into the story like a neat little package, creates some nice artistic imagery and tries to pull at some heart strings (albeit in a flailing fashion), just as dumb as making the first planet they land on the one where time is 1hr=7 years, just as dumb as space McConaughey.

Mange Mite posted:

Noone cares about the science there's nothing in science that says it has to br a magic bookcase that was a decision by the writer and it was a bad one

What would you have chosen instead?

Not trying to defend it, as I am no fan on Nolan. I can at least see from a story telling perspective why they chose the bookcase thing. Along with the fact everyone seems to have forgotten that TARS gives exposition as to why the fifth dimensional beings made the tesseract.

Twitch posted:

Gunbuster was already about the power of love and time dilation and poo poo, but it also had huge anime boobs and even huger robots beating the gently caress out of some badass aliens.

Chris Nolan, get your poo poo together.

Take my money, make TARS the lead with a plucky young teen side kick.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 15, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Actually it seems like Tyson was just making conversation and Cameron was a defensive little puss-bear because he spent so much time trying to be period-accurate yet overlooked an obvious detail.

Tyson had the last laugh I guess since for the special edition he got a phone call from the film special effects guys and got to fix the inaccurate stars.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

*durrr I should just stop trying to talk about this because I really do not know things about it

Another insightful post from the CD thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3594647&perpage=40&pagenumber=50#post437669011

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but the point is the bookshelves imagery is very similar to Hal's deactivation sequence.

Instead of pulling on book like disc arrays, he's pushing on them.

That's like, why. Interstellar isn't much more than a love note to 2001. If anything I'm disappointed the wormhole was orbiting Saturn and not Jupiter.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but the point is the bookshelves imagery is very similar to Hal's deactivation sequence.

That's like, why. Interstellar isn't much more than a love note to 2001. If anything I'm disappointed the wormhole was orbiting Saturn and not Jupiter.

in the book 2001 they go to saturn not jupiter

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Facepalm Ranger posted:

What would you have chosen instead?

I'd maybe have tried to represent the exotic rather than the banal, I think

like maybe a rest stop bathroom or possibly a grocery store checkout line

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wasn't being sarcastic in the slightest, it was a really insightful post and I think you're 100% correct as to why that scene is visualized in that particular way.

e: I mean, looking at it in retrospect it's crystal clear, I'm unhappy I didn't realize it while watching the film myself it's so blatant

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 15, 2014

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
nerds doing some real interstellar future past-changing stuff IRL acting like they've "known" christopher nolan was a "hack" for years despite him being the internet's biggest circlejerk for an entire decade because he made good comic book movies

nah but go on tell us how you always knew he was poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
dunno i thought the sixth sense was a good movie but signs sucked balls

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

greg sexyvibes posted:

Very good movie. I enjoyed it a bunch.

wow

get a loada this guy

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the wave planet had so much more gravity than earth's but the little spaceship can fly out of it's atmosphere without the help of a big rocket??? haha ok nice

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

nerds doing some real interstellar future past-changing stuff IRL acting like they've "known" christopher nolan was a "hack" for years despite him being the internet's biggest circlejerk for an entire decade because he made good comic book movies

he is actually a good director and has made good movies

this is not a good movie that he has made

thats all

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

yea he made a really dumbed down version of 2001 where all the characters do exposition for every single line of dialog i know u liked the movie but i hope u could understand why others wouldnt like it

i liked inception a ton too which makes this movie more dissapointing

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

what i dont think htere w as a single live asina person in the whole movie, i assumed they nuked china and race warred the rest

or is that what chinese people like idk

Umm excuse me, did you not pay attention when they showed all the early Lazarus astronauts? One of the guys is totally an asian.

Reprisal posted:

This notion unironically appealed to every female film goer I know who saw it and is undoubtably the only reason this otherwise cool sci fi film has such a simplistic personal story at its core. Seen in that context, it is a clever decision.

It's true. I saw it with my girlfriend and when we were talking about it afterwards she was like "Ugh... am I really that easy to pander to??"

Mange Mite posted:

also i like how he doesnt even ask about his son like "welp i guess he died or something"

The best part was when he left for space. First that long goodbye with Murphy and then when he came to his son he was basically like "Ok bye."

Roy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 16, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically what I'm saying is that despite the handful of logic wierdness which you shouldn't give a gently caress about in a movie, it's really fun to watch in IMAX and none of the scenes were too long to make the movie feel torturous like the 3 hour Hulk movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

I sure as hell didn't always know he was poo poo. It wasn't until The Dark Knight Rises that I actually started to look back at his body of work and realize "oh yeah he's really not all that by a long shot" but then other nerds kept on sucking his dick so it was like "oh so this is what it's been like for everyone else." The fact that Interstellar is a giant attempt to make 2001 for dummies (but we've got real astrophysics guys that totally makes up for a lackluster narrative :v:) and that offends my delicate sci-fi nerd sensibilities coupled with noticing what an elitist prick Nolan seems to be only got me working against him further.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Larry Parrish posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that despite the handful of logic wierdness which you shouldn't give a gently caress about in a movie, it's really fun to watch in IMAX and none of the scenes were too long to make the movie feel torturous like the 3 hour Hulk movie.

it was ok in IMAX and the wave planet freaked me the gently caress out and im a grown man with a job and a house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I sure as hell didn't always know he was poo poo. It wasn't until The Dark Knight Rises that I actually started to look back at his body of work and realize "oh yeah he's really not all that by a long shot" but then other nerds kept on sucking his dick so it was like "oh so this is what it's been like for everyone else." The fact that Interstellar is a giant attempt to make 2001 for dummies (but we've got real astrophysics guys that totally makes up for a lackluster narrative :v:) and that offends my delicate sci-fi nerd sensibilities coupled with noticing what an elitist prick Nolan seems to be only got me working against him further.

I dunno I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Dark Knight (with Heath Ledger's awesome Joker) was a real, true masterpiece. From the intense and well-placed musical score to the timing to all of the set pieces to fuckin Tiny Lister throwing the bomb detonator off of the jailbird ferry, it hit so many good notes. Not quite flawless, but imo his best film (certainly way, way better than Interstellar).

Dark Knight Rises, not so much.

• Locked thread