Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jackard posted:

Unlike tabletop the realtime NWN2 combat often became a murder machine and you would need OP builds just to stay alive on permadeath servers with rear end in a top hat DMs

You also played on Necrosis!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Raenir Salazar posted:

You also played on Necrosis!?
Remind me, what was the one with DM Bogart that took place in Amn?

Bet the players had "deep pockets, hehe"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Finally, someone besides Big K gets the spotlight! Not a bad start, let's see where it goes!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This episode really reminded me on how weird it is for these kids to want to continue playing MMOs, especially now that they're running around in a partial replica of the death game SAO. There seems to be little self-awareness about this...

Anyways, the set-up to this arc otherwise intrigues me. Anybody know if we can expect this be a longer arc like Phantom Bullet, or a shorter one like Caliber?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Raxivace posted:

Anyways, the set-up to this arc otherwise intrigues me. Anybody know if we can expect this be a longer arc like Phantom Bullet, or a shorter one like Caliber?

Including today, there are 8 Saturdays until the end of the year. This arc will be 8 episodes long. There's only one (somewhat long) novel, so that should fit the time remaining easily.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's in between. Phantom Bullet was two books, while Caliber was half of a book.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jng2058 posted:

Finally, someone besides Big K gets the spotlight! Not a bad start, let's see where it goes!

Mothers Rosario is easily the best novel.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Dexo posted:

Mothers Rosario is easily the best novel.

The only thing about Mother Rosario that I hate is that it features Asuna's family who I consider to all be terrible people. Her dad wanted her to marry a rapist who would stoop to horrible human experimentation, and her mother [next episode or 2 spoilers]is an annoying bitch who just flippantly ignores her own daughters opinions and personal will on everything. Her parents also keep trying to marry her off to assholes.

The pair of them are shining examples on how not to raise your children.

edit: I have the feeling that the author was either raised in a such a way himself, or knows people who had to go through this crap themselves.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 8, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Myurton posted:

The only thing about Mother Rosario that I hate is that it features Asuna's family who I consider to all be terrible people. Her dad wanted her to marry a rapist who would stoop to horrible human experimentation, and her mother [next episode or 2 spoilers]is an annoying bitch who just flippantly ignores her own daughters opinions and personal will on everything. Her parents also keep trying to marry her off to assholes.

The pair of them are shining examples on how not to raise your children.

edit: I have the feeling that the author was either raised in a such a way himself, or knows people who had to go through this crap themselves.

Light Mothers Rosario Spoilers

Eh, that's pretty standard troupe of welloff influential people. You see that even in western stuff. You are supposed to hate the parents

And to be fair to her dad, he had no clue that that dude was crazy and rapey. That dude put on a hell of a front for her family and parents.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, but the point is that they didn't learn a lesson from that. "Oh, so the perfect person we picked out turned out to be a rape-happy mini-Mengele? I'm sure the next one we choose will have no flaws, either." If not for the coma thing, they probably would have been perfectly happy to marry her off to him even if the whole crimes against humanity thing had come out. I mean, he had money!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not a bad episode but who plays an MMO to do homework?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 9, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mordja posted:

Not a bad episode but who plays an MMO to do homework?
Everyone's in different places, so it's like a teleconference.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Myurton posted:

I do remember the author saying some things suggesting that, surprisingly, Asuna is his self-insert more than Kirito is...but that's a pretty dark way of interpreting it.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Wait, Asuna is a caster class, right?

But her physical DPS is enough to down a raid boss by herself?

Nerf inc.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

It's nice to see that Asuna and Kirito are acknowledging eachother being alive again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm really liking this arc. Sadly we cannot see Kirito be defeated onscreen. :(

This episode taking the time to expand more on what its like playing a VRMMORPG is still something that to my mind makes SAO stand apart from other "trapped in a game" animes; the author really seems to be deeply interested in virtual reality, arg's and gamification beyond "Wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of people were stuck in a game?".

Jackard posted:

Remind me, what was the one with DM Bogart that took place in Amn?

Bet the players had "deep pockets, hehe"

Necrosis was something similar to Attack on Titan in that you had like the one safe spot surrounded by legions of undead and if you died once (despite lag) it was permadeath. Supposedly with Storm of Zehir they were doing an a sequel that sounded promising; really though it was Baldur's Gate the Sword Coast Chronicles that really took the cake for bad DM's.

Necrosis was just kinda dickish in that they stuck to purist permadeath mechanics when there was no way to actually make it fair or anything other than luck based.

On the other hand seeing the one level 9 actually be somewhat godtier compared to everyone else makes me feel nostalgic compared to the outbreak of maxed out level 30 characters that swarmed Baldur's Gate.

My ideal game is something inbetween the two; less Dwarf Fortress and more season one Aincrad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, Asuna is a caster class, right?

But her physical DPS is enough to down a raid boss by herself?

Nerf inc.
She has the nickname of 'berserk healer' for a reason :v:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Raenir Salazar posted:

This episode taking the time to expand more on what its like playing a VRMMORPG is still something that to my mind makes SAO stand apart from other "trapped in a game" animes; the author really seems to be deeply interested in virtual reality, arg's and gamification beyond "Wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of people were stuck in a game?".

That is probably one of the biggest strengths of the series, and you aren't going to find the majority of it in the anime. If that type of stuff is really interesting, you should give some of the books a try. That whole "what is it like playing a VRMMORPG" thing is what the author really loves to write about, and it is why the novelization is much better than the anime. Hey, we gotta show 2 episodes of Sinon's butt, something has got to be cut. I know, let's cut the scene discussing AI targeting behavior of The Seed engine games!

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

As an Asuna fan, I've been waiting for this arc. I just love the family relationship she has with Kirito and Yui. I'll admit that I got a little teary-eyed when they re-bought their house.

I'd kill for a shoujo manga adaption of the Aincrad arc from Asuna's POV.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Snow Halation posted:

As an Asuna fan, I've been waiting for this arc. I just love the family relationship she has with Kirito and Yui. I'll admit that I got a little teary-eyed when they re-bought their house.

Kirito's a character that belongs in a shoujo series as a main love interest so this would work.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Snow Halation posted:

The manga version of Progressive's been really good about that (and making a total rear end of Kirito and having more Argo which is always nice, she needs more love that one).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 9, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

The manga version of Progressive's been really good about that (and making a total rear end of Kirito and having more Argo which is always nice, she needs more love that one).

I've been reading Progressive and it's really bizarre seeing Kirito as an expressive person with a real personality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, progressive is easily the best work in the entire franchise. It takes the good parts and ditches a lot of the bad to tell a much more coherent story.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, progressive is easily the best work in the entire franchise. It takes the good parts and ditches a lot of the bad to tell a much more coherent story.

Why is there only ten chapters?! :gonk:

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why is there only ten chapters?! :gonk:

14 chapters have been published since it started serialization last June. Each collected volume has 5 chapters each, so evidently scanlators are only translating the scans instead of hunting for Dengeki Gs magazine scans.

The official English version starts in January with the second volume in April and the third volume likely later next year, so buy a copy if you want to actually give money to the product.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ultimatemegax posted:

14 chapters have been published since it started serialization last June. Each collected volume has 5 chapters each, so evidently scanlators are only translating the scans instead of hunting for Dengeki Gs magazine scans.

The official English version starts in January with the second volume in April and the third volume likely later next year, so buy a copy if you want to actually give money to the product.

I'm still not used to having disposable income since I started my job a while back so that sounds like an awesome idea!

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm still not used to having disposable income since I started my job a while back so that sounds like an awesome idea!

Don't forget the novels as well! The first two volumes (covering Aincrad minus two shorts) are already out and the third comes out next month. They're doing a release every 4 months and the quality is quite good IMO. I'm impressed at how much I'm enjoying the releases and how the translation reads.

The Progressive novels (different from the manga) also start releasing next March. There are 2 novels out in Japanese with the third releasing next month. We should catch up next year depending if/when AMW releases another one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ultimatemegax posted:

Don't forget the novels as well! The first two volumes (covering Aincrad minus two shorts) are already out and the third comes out next month. They're doing a release every 4 months and the quality is quite good IMO. I'm impressed at how much I'm enjoying the releases and how the translation reads.

The Progressive novels (different from the manga) also start releasing next March. There are 2 novels out in Japanese with the third releasing next month. We should catch up next year depending if/when AMW releases another one.

You sir are a clear and present danger to my wallet. :catstare:

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So anyhow, my books arrived!

(Phone camera appears to be poo poo)

I've started reading it on the busride home and I like it a lot. It's a huge step up from the online light novel translations I've been used to reading, it reads somewhere between R.A Salvatore for mood and action and George RR Martin for scenery.

Which is completely what I look forward to for works like this.

Also, when I opened it for the first time on the bus with people next to me, did not know about prepages iii and iv; thank you Japan for making even reading a book potentially embarrassing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What they weren't excited to see Asuna in lingerie?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Beef Waifu posted:

What they weren't excited to see Asuna in lingerie?

Don't know, but it was a girl sitting next to me so I hope I hurried past fast enough.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't know, but it was a girl sitting next to me so I hope I hurried past fast enough.

Nope she now thinks you're a total creep you have no chance with her.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
:smith:

But seriously though, the style flows very well I think.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dexo posted:

Nope she now thinks you're a total creep you have no chance with her.

Actually, while she will initially think that he is a creep, she will develop a love-hate obsession and chastise him whenever another girl shows any interest in him (including his teacher, a perky member of the track team, his childhood friend, a dork who is into science and wears glasses, a quiet girl, and someone who keeps wearing a maid uniform for some inexplicable reason). There will be a lot of awkward moments, but they will get together six months from now when she finally realises his hidden qualities (he is passionate about YA literature from Japan).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I only wish there was an offical e-book version.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Aaaaaah, Hayashibara Megumi, what are you doing here?

And apparently I can't get away from Yuuki Aoi. :(
Cool fight, though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man, Yeah, Mother's Rosario is pretty great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yup, I like this.
I'm a bit worried about the Zekken character presenting herself as Yuuki, same as Asuna's family name. OTOH it's also just the word for courage, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

Yup, I like this.
I'm a bit worried about the Zekken character presenting herself as Yuuki, same as Asuna's family name. OTOH it's also just the word for courage, so who knows.
That's the basis of a pretty funny language joke later on but god knows if A1 won't arse it up somehow.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 15, 2014

• Locked thread