Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i hear banjo music and wahoooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

nthalp posted:

i hear banjo music and wahoooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqi5pWlmTgk

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

SquadronROE posted:

This is a couple pages old but this:

Gave me this reaction.

:(

Iceman killed Goose, and then threw his dogtags into the ocean. :mad:

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Tanks are an outdated concept mostly. They're large and vulnerable and really only good at fighting other tanks.
Hey look it's 1972 again.

You're right, though, that pretty much the only way for armor to deal with urban situations is to blow everything to bits and roll over the rubble.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Miss-Bomarc posted:

blow everything to bits and roll over the rubble.

:getin:

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Hey look it's 1972 again.

You're right, though, that pretty much the only way for armor to deal with urban situations is to blow everything to bits and roll over the rubble*.

* rubble may contain small children.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Don't bring a knife to an MRI Scan.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=11359290

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TheBlackVegetable posted:

* rubble may contain small children.

That's part of the reason why we try not to use armor for clearing cities. They still got used, just not as much.

Now the Russians on the other hand, would like to tell you about a little town called Grozny...

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Thump! posted:

That's part of the reason why we try not to use armor for clearing cities. They still got used, just not as much.

Now the Russians on the other hand, would like to tell you about a little town called Grozny...

Where they managed to loose more men taking a single city than the US did in the entirety of Iraq and Afghanistan.

In both wars they also somehow managed to have high-ranking officers, a colonel and a general respectively IIRC, go missing and turn up executed in the city. :wtc:

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

my dog isn't wearing her loving hard hat

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Good Bad dog!

Who's a good dog? You're a good dog! You're a good dog!

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
You can practically see the dog thinking "nice job, monkey boy. which one of us is it has opposable thumbs, again?"

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's just not cost effective to make menacing spikes on site anymore.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geoj posted:

Didn't stop the Navy from putting McCain in three more aircraft after he lost his first two :colbert:
When daddy is an Admiral, flyboy gets to keep flying.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Miss-Bomarc posted:

You can practically see the dog thinking "nice job, monkey boy. which one of us is it has opposable thumbs, again?"

yeah but she's not wearing a high vis vest so who is the idiot now smug dog???

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Saddam Hussein posted:

Tanks are an outdated concept mostly.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Vasudus posted:

Tanks are an outdated concept mostly.

lol

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Tanks are useless when you stick them in a hole somewhere and don't move them for several days or drive over minefields. Yes in those ways tanks are useless.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I wonder if you could have done that invasion with just drones, planes and wheeled vehicles? The actual armored resistance wasn't all that, and it's not like you had problems dominating the air.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Tanks are essentially mobile bunkers with a cannon and machine gun. While I can't think of a situation where they wouldn't be threatened by some jerk with an RPG, surely they must have some strategic or tactical value?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

WarpedNaba posted:

Tanks are essentially mobile bunkers with a cannon and machine gun. While I can't think of a situation where they wouldn't be threatened by some jerk with an RPG, surely they must have some strategic or tactical value?

Sometimes people hide in bushes so its hard to see them from the air thats where tanks come in.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

But wouldn't they also be hard to see from the ground? No to mention hiding in a forest puts a lot of trees between you and a treaded behemoth.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

WarpedNaba posted:

But wouldn't they also be hard to see from the ground? No to mention hiding in a forest puts a lot of trees between you and a treaded behemoth.

Its expensive to blow up a bush with a bomb, it is much cheaper to just run over whatever is hiding in it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WarpedNaba posted:

Armored trucks are still useful. Tanks only really have an advantage over trucks when you're either fighting other armored vehicles (and so can make effective use of the big gun), or need to navigate terrain that is passable to treads but not to wheels. If another big land war happens (and it doesn't involve tank battalions getting drone striked into oblivion as soon as they try and do something), then maybe tanks will be useful again.

You could also use them for the civilian police actions, but I believe the current fashion in America is to use artillery pieces for that.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
A mobile extremely tough fortress that is an artillary piece and machinegun wrapped into one. Nah its on its way out send in the grunts.

But for real they are meant for conventional wars and are absolutely relevant. Guerilla fighting its alright but still way better than sending in a humvee.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Look, a drone or APC just won't do the same damage running over a car that a 70 Ton jet powered fuckin tank will, okay? They give our boys murder boners and make the enemy poo poo themselves.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Sure is a lot of 'fury' itt about tanks! Truth is it's probably a topic that's best not to tread on, tanks were cannon for a long time in war and I'd definitely rather be inside a tank in most firefights unless my commander had turrets (Tourette's)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That series of puns is appropriate for this thread, as they caused me actual physical harm.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

That series of puns is appropriate for this thread, as they caused me actual physical harm.

That's why you have to wear proper pun PPE:

e:
oh wait, gently caress this is a forum. So uh....

i guess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-woman-suing-over-implanted-homemade-device/14126447/

Maybe don't use parts from Lowes to mod your surgical implants?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Tunicate posted:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-woman-suing-over-implanted-homemade-device/14126447/

Maybe don't use parts from Lowes to mod your surgical implants?

This is the medical equivalent of grover house.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The real failure here isn稚 the unapproved modification; it痴 that he blogged about it.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Alright, leaving work, got about an hour of driving aheaOH JUST PULLING IN TO MY DRIVEWAY HOW DID I GET HERE.

My first job had a manager that told stories about how he used to be on some kind of psych prescription and he somehow discovered that he was getting up in the middle of the night, driving around who knows where, and then driving back to his place in the morning, totally unconsciously. This was before he had lost his license for life for multiple DUI convictions.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Are we still talking about mine-clearing tanks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60IFLPBmdW0

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ESDK posted:

Are we still talking about mine-clearing tanks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60IFLPBmdW0

At first I was like, "Okay, so it drags that bar with all those weights over the ground and set off mines, cool enough." Then I found out it spins at a billion rpm and obliterates everything in its path. :aaaaa:

I would like to use one of those to clear the snow from my driveway. And to clear my driveway from my driveway.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zeno-25 posted:

My first job had a manager that told stories about how he used to be on some kind of psych prescription and he somehow discovered that he was getting up in the middle of the night, driving around who knows where, and then driving back to his place in the morning, totally unconsciously. This was before he had lost his license for life for multiple DUI convictions.

IIRC Ambien can make you drive to your wife's parents' place, commit homicide, then drive back, all while asleep.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Holy poo poo 50 pages of catch-up and we've got a new title!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C50rsIKyNTQ&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC50rsIKyNTQ&has_verified=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wdarkk posted:

IIRC Ambien can make you drive to your wife's parents' place, commit homicide, then drive back, all while asleep.

My only ambien experience involved me sleeping for thirteen hours, getting up three hours late for work, putting my underwear on over my pants, and making it all the way to sitting in my car, in the driveway, with the engine running, before I realized that taking a sick day was a better idea than trying to drive thirty miles in rush hour in that kind of condition.

• Locked thread