Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IT'S ALIVE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hahahaha, that's perfect. Well shot, and well done.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=x9XmWm0fRf8&video_start=0&audio=CtwJvgPJ9xw&audio_start=12

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
This is always the best feel-good thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It lives! And looks good, at that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It has no poo poo taken me longer to catch-up with this thread than it took you to fully rebuild the Milktruck, but drat was it worth every second. I was thinking it was over around page 36 or so and figured the next 10 pages were just congratulations and more glamor shots. And then you found a Ferndale Divco :woop:

This thread rules, you rule.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That video was baller. Love it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I laughed a little bit too much at this. Well done, Moo-e!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
That is absolutely awesome, congrats!

I assume we'll get a play-by-play shortly? :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rust Martialis posted:

This is always the best feel-good thread.

It's up there with the thread about puppies for putting a smile on my face.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

One of the best things I've ever seen.

So happy you've got the Divco moving under its own power. Is it finally warming up at all out there?

Deranged Milkman
Jan 8, 2012
Brother here.

That brings us to where we are now. We left off with the motor mounts. The local shop was able to find some bushing that were the right diameter but too long, they stuck them in a lathe and made them the perfect size. With those back we were able to get the engine / transmission installed. It was actually easier to install the engine then it was to figure out how all the linkages went and what needed to be adjusted. Since its a stand drive model the combo clutch/brake pedal adds a couple of linkages and they all have to be adjusted perfectly. If one of the linkages is off the other pedal doesn't work right.

Once the driveshafts went in there was only one thing to do, drive it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMtjDZ0nLsQ
It sounds so much better in person. There is only a 2ft section of exhaust to bring it down under the floor.

My favorite part, Mooecow wanted a video of the combo pedal in action while I drove. He didn't realize it but I stepped on the foot throttle (watch my right foot) and nearly tossed him backward. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBB_znfEUrg

It still hasn't gotten very warm out so we are limited to to what body work can be done. Hopefully in the coming weeks we can get started on that, with the engine in and running most of the mechanical work is done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This popped up on my DVR. Made me think of this thread anyway... :v:

Apparently it's Ridge Hill Farm.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I laughed a little bit too much at this. Well done, Moo-e!

No such thing as too much laughing at that, it's loving funny.

Once this thing is done, where do you go? Literally dredging up and restoring the Titanic?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Once this thing is done, where do you go? Literally dredging up and restoring the Titanic?

Range Rovers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The loving Titanic would be easier.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

80s Japanese cars from the northeast used on a farm.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Someone from NEAI maybe can help out with that?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sudo Echo posted:

80s Japanese cars from the northeast used on a farm.

X1/9 as the tow vehicle, with a Sprint GT chase car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

A Lancia

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Specifically, this Lancia

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Tried a Lancia. Will try again when I have 100k to throw at it... Who am I kidding I will never own one again.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Mooecow posted:

I spent 3 of the past 4 weekends out of state but even when I'm actually home I'm glued to my laptop so trying to find spare time is next to impossible. Hopefully things should go back to normal in a couple months.

I lied. I've still been averaging 60 - 80 hours a week but I finally was able to do the impossible & actually schedule a couple days of PTO (which I haven't done since July last year). So with 5 whole days at home it was time to work on the Divco! :)

The goal for this long weekend was to install the interior roof skins/crossbars & finish putting the rest of the body in epoxy primer.

Installing the interior roof sounds easy, but it was a massive pain. When the roof was re-done it was made a couple inches shorter then original. So this meant that all the panels & crossbars didn't fit any more. On the plus side, this meant for the most part we could just cut off the rotten bottom couple inches from the panels / crossmembers & didn't need to weld in any new metal.

To help insulate everything & prevent rattles from metal on metal contact we installed EVA foam on the roof first.

Since the crossmembers help support the roof & we didn't want any rattles they needed to be installed nice & tight. This is where the floor jack came in handy:

With the crossmember jacked up as far as possible we could then drill new holes while making sure everything stayed nice & tight. Overall the roof came out looking pretty good. Divco aficionados will be able to tell something isn't quite right with how we installed it, but with where it started I'm happy. I just realized I don't have a good picture of the finished product. :( I'll take one & post it this weekend when I'm back home.

Since the Shelterlogic tent gets pretty humid & likes to drip condensation everywhere we had to sand & prime it within a couple days. Luckily we only had to do the lower windshield panel, both front cowls, drip rails, & front roof skin so it only took 1 day to sand it all.

So an hour of cleaning & half a gallon of Prep-All later and we were ready to prime. We were almost done with the first coat my the compressor decided it didn't want to go on living. Luckily there was just enough air in the tank to finish putting on the first coat of primer. We debated just leaving it at one coat for now but since it gets humid in the garage we decided that two would be must better. So we rushed over to Harbor Freight to pick up a replacement compressor. Good thing they were open today! With the new compressor we were finally able to finish laying down the second coat of primer.

This is how all master craftsmen paint their cars, right?

Hopefully next weekend we will be able to roll it out & get a better picture.

This happened a couple weekends ago but to catch everyone up:

We were tired of seeing so many panels in bare metal in the garage so a couple weekends ago we primed a bunch of them:

You'll notice on these panels that we didn't prime the entire thing. The bottom edge is completely rotten so we sent them both away to be fixed. I don't trust myself to weld that long of a panel without warping the hell out of it so they got sent to a professional.

I'm still working on filling & blocking the front fenders & filler panels. I'm hoping to be able to prime them in couple weeks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looking good.

It's been a while, do you have a picture/Photoshop of the finished colour scheme? I'd asumed similar to the pickup but i can't remember.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wanted to bump this thread and let you know how happy it makes me. Keep up the good work :)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Amazing work, as usual :)

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Looking good.

It's been a while, do you have a picture/Photoshop of the finished colour scheme? I'd asumed similar to the pickup but i can't remember.

Heres a picture of what it would have looked like 50+ years ago. We're going to mimic that paint scheme as close as possible:

I took this week off from work so I finally had some time to work on the Divco. Most of the panels have had atleast one round of filler & primer already so I figured it was time to start trying to test fit everything. There is nothing worse the going to assemble painted parts only to realize they don't quite fit...

For now all the panels that are riveted are on are just held by machine screws. Not surprisingly, the nose sheet metal was a nightmare to try & line up. Even now after hours & hours of messing with it they don't fit all that well. That said, I'm pretty sure they were poorly aligned from the factory so I'm just going to accept that it isn't perfect.

Its more of the same story with the rear doors. The gap between the center doors grows by about 1/8" as you go down the door.

But at least from a distance it looks awesome!

Unfortunetely at this point we are still missing one panel, the drivers side lower panel in front of the rear fender. Since many years ago when it started rotting they screwed sheet metal over the top of it sand/moisture got trapped in between the layers & just completely rotted it out. I was able to track down NOS versions of the other 3 lower panels but haven't been able to find one of that one yet. I've checked with all my usual Divco fanatics enthusiasts & have come up blank. This is probably a long shot but if anyone comes across a Divco being parted out that has that panel let me know.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it's a mirrored copy of the other side a competent metal shop could copy it easily enough.

And I think you're right about commercial vehicle panel gaps, aim for authentic, not perfect!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kevbarlas could make it in like two hours for you. Too bad he's across the pond, I bet he'd do it for a six pack.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Semi-related, but you should check out the latest episode of Roadkill. The boys stop by Rutledge Wood's place and they take a ride in his chevy delivery truck that was placed on top of a 99' 2500 frame? Something like that. As soon as I saw it I thought of your divco. Just thought I would give a heads up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Leperflesh posted:

Kevbarlas could make it in like two hours for you. Too bad he's across the pond, I bet he'd do it for a six pack.
Paying for a flight for Kev to have a free holiday in exchange for the metalwork wouldn't be much more expensive (if at all) than getting someone to do it at normal rates...

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

After 3 weeks back at work I figured it was time to take more PTO so I took a 5 day weekend to work on the Divco.

With the temperatures at night starting to fall a bit we decided to focus on getting the body painted asap. At this point it was just in epoxy primer so it still needed to be scuffed & sprayed with 2k primer. Since the different sections of the truck had been primed at different times the primer wasn't consistently the same thickness. In the end we burned through to bare metal in quite a few spots so the whole body got a coat of epoxy followed by 2k.

Luckily the 2k primer dries really quick (~6 hours) so the next day we got to spend hours manually sanding it nice & smooth. So with a nicely sanded roof & decent weather what else is there to do but spray some paint?

Its not perfect but its white & the roof is 8 feet in the air so its pretty hard to see anyway.

Since the two large side panels need to be installed (since they need to be seamed sealed in) prior to painting the rest of the body white we decided to take care of the couple small areas that are blue (the firewall & side trim).

After hours & hours of more sanding by hand (seriously, I'm sort of happy I'm flying back to the office tomorrow so I can stop sanding for a few days) the trim & firewall were ready for their date with the spray gun:

At this point we ran out of 2k primer so the large side panels are on hold. Hopefully we'll get more by this weekend so we can prime, block, & install them. Once they are installed we just need to spend a million more hours blocking the rest of the body in preparation to spray it white.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
YAY! Mooecow update!

:neckbeard:

I sooo love this thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The results are incredible, but manually sanding all of that would have driven me insane.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it's any consolation just remember this is going to look better than factory.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I posted this over in the chat thread, but I think I have something that might be of interest to you Mooecow:

(You can see the full gallery here)

Comes with a good chunk of info about what parts go on which Chevy truck.

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm
Don't want to let this drop in to archives. Hopefully we'll see some new progress soon.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I saw a Divco disabled on the side of the QEW on the way into Toronto today. I think it was this Redpath Sugar promo vehicle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUF_diEki0

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Wohaa, its been three months since my last update?!

After a million hours of additional block sanding the truck is finally coming together. With the cold weather setting in fast we spent every weekend either prepping for painting or painting. With the magic of the internet here is how the truck has progressed in the past 3 months:

You'll notice that I have a perfectly indented lower panel installed. The fab shop I've been using was able to bead roll the indent in a flat panel I had. At first they told me they couldn't do it because of how thick the metal was but after playing around with their bead roller a bit they figured out how to do it. The rolls on the corners aren't quite as tight as factory but unless you specifically look for it you can't tell the difference.

Right now the truck is up on jack stands while I get tires installed on the wheels. I ended up having the 6 best wheels broken down & sandblasted so I could pick the best four. It turns out that after sandblasting only two of them were actually usable. There was significant rot where the valve stem pokes through so they would tear up the tube. Luckily another Divco restorer had a couple spare rims in good shape so I'm dropping them off for blasting tomorrow. Hopefully they turn them around quickly so I can paint them & drop them off to get the tires mounted.

The hoods have been wetsanded & polished so they are ready to be installed. If everything goes to plan they should be going on within the next couple weekends.

Since so much metal around the windshield had changed the original glass no longer fit. So I had a glass guy come out to make new templates & install the glass. The rubber he used is nice & thick like the original so I'm really happy with how it came out. I'm going to wait for the spring to have him come back out & do the rest of the glass.

All the original gauges were pretty well shot so I decided to just get all new gauges. I have a new 70MPH speedo that I'm going to install as well.

At this point everything but the side doors & some misc trim have been painted. Unfortunately its way too cold now to paint them so they'll have to wait for spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hell yes, it looks great so far! Glad to see this thread back on the front page.

• Locked thread