Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

FF13 also sold like gangbusters on steam despite being a super lovely port in comparison to VC and also being generally a shittier game. It's more like people just want PS3 ports that weren't available before.

Actually no, it did pretty terrible and never got into top 10 I think. FF fan base is also on a completely different level then VC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It got a consistent spot on the top-selling games section of steam, which peaked and unpeaked because the length between the announcement of the game (pre-orders) and the release itself was longer than Sega announcing VC's port before releasing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

Actually no, it did pretty terrible and never got into top 10 I think. FF fan base is also on a completely different level then VC.

It was in the top 10 sellers the day it was announced.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

A story in three pictures.

(But no seriously I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about VC. Sorry, I'm the reason Yakuza's never coming out, guys.)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

A story in three pictures.

(But no seriously I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about VC. Sorry, I'm the reason Yakuza's never coming out, guys.)

Well, gently caress you too. :smith:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I actually thought VC was a terrible game and actually enjoyed FFXIII more (although I didn't really enjoy FFXIII all that much either). Then again I didn't buy either on Steam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

goldjas posted:

VC was a terrible game

Leave

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

goldjas posted:

I actually thought VC was a terrible game and actually enjoyed FFXIII more (although I didn't really enjoy FFXIII all that much either). Then again I didn't buy either on Steam.

I have no words.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbf i didn't buy xiii either

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

tbf i didn't buy xiii either

That's understandable though since it's not a good game ant way you look at it, even with Japanese dialogue and VA.

To say that VC is a terrible game and XIII is a lot better is on a whole different level. I mean it's all subjective and all but still...

I did buy XIII and managed to play it a lot further then PS3 because of graphical enhancements and JPN voice track, but still...

One could argue that say Divinity Origins is a better game or that XCOM EW is better, or Fire Emblem, but not FF XIII.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Two different genres, should not be a surprise.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FF XIII has better designed gameplay than VC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At bare minimum FFXIII's scoring system is better designed than VC's. I'm not sure I'd argue the rest but VC's scoring system is such a tremendous pile of awful.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not sure that VC's ranking system is really the problem since the game loses all semblance of difficulty if you don't move quickly. Plus enemy turns take so drat long that I would probably low turn the game just for my own sanity. Maybe add some other aspects to the ranking system like killing all aces or some other secondary objectives.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm not sure that VC's ranking system is really the problem since the game loses all semblance of difficulty if you don't move quickly. Plus enemy turns take so drat long that I would probably low turn the game just for my own sanity. Maybe add some other aspects to the ranking system like killing all aces or some other secondary objectives.
Arguing it's made for that is also kind of arguing that half of the classes are designed to be worthless, though. Scouts are the indisputable master race in VC1 and are only not so in VC3 because of stronger interception fire.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There could be a great ranking system and make Scouts only 1.5 AP that of Shocktroopers, and Lancers would still be the shittiest class. The real solution was that Orders were nerfed in VC3.

Then again, I just found out my shocktrooper can straight up kill a tank in two turns without orders so uh...hmm.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Arguing it's made for that is also kind of arguing that half of the classes are designed to be worthless, though. Scouts are the indisputable master race in VC1 and are only not so in VC3 because of stronger interception fire.

I don't know that it was intentionally designed that half the classes are worthless so much as the system as designed is really boring to play slowly and map and class design means that most classes are worthless.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I am deeply disturbed and shaken that there is anime in the RPG thread

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

icantfindaname posted:

I'd talk about Lords of Xulima but I haven't gotten it yet. Has anyone else got any comments on it?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

There could be a great ranking system and make Scouts only 1.5 AP that of Shocktroopers, and Lancers would still be the shittiest class. The real solution was that Orders were nerfed in VC3.

Then again, I just found out my shocktrooper can straight up kill a tank in two turns without orders so uh...hmm.

Yeah, actually shocktroopers get pretty drat powerful. They are also almost unkillable. Shocktroopers/Snipers do work fairly well with retreat/deploy in some places where you can snag a forward base with a scout and then retreat/deploy your troopers/snipers/lancers to do something. Lancers are also very powerful. Lancer/Engineer team can do a better job then snipers in places (engineers for ammo) and are great at sniping tanks at weird angles from very far off. You can actually snipe snipers and other units, like on top of buildings with very high accuracy. If they don't see you I am not sure evade kicks in. At least so far I haven't seen that on Lancer shots from far away.

Scouts are great because of the poo poo ranking system. A bit better AI and a more reasonable ranking taking into account losses, kills, etc... would have been much more palatable. Still love the game though.

icantfindaname posted:

You mean you missed all the TitS conversation when Trails came out? Or the weekly JRPG discussions? Any RPG thread is pretty much 50% anime!

To switch topics. Now that it's been a while since Divinity OS release, what do you all think of it? I think the story is lacking but combat system is just so excellent it makes an otherwise fairly mediocre game a standout (if one likes combat in their RPGs). Writing isn't bad but it's bare.

It feels like the sequel will be quite a bit better since the engine is built, the combat/encounters/etc... work very well, the modding system is in place, so it can only improve.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Against my better judgment, I went and picked up SaGa Frontier 2 on PSN after seeing the first few updates of the ongoing LP, but the game...kind of doesn't like to explain anything to you, does it? I'm starting out as Wil Knights, and the game is overwhelming me with mechanics and options. Can someone give me some baseline "before I play" kind of information?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Against my better judgment, I went and picked up SaGa Frontier 2 on PSN after seeing the first few updates of the ongoing LP, but the game...kind of doesn't like to explain anything to you, does it? I'm starting out as Wil Knights, and the game is overwhelming me with mechanics and options. Can someone give me some baseline "before I play" kind of information?

The game is pretty easy til the last scenario of each path, though you should probably look up the chronological order of events because there's really only one exception to that to get all the optional content and still have a viable way to grind with Battle of South Moundtop clear when Wil's final scenario skullfucks you. Save in a different slot when you reach Ginny's Departure. It's pretty close to the end and makes a good last resort backup save.

Don't stress out about the durability of your weapons unless it's a strong weapon you don't have more of. Breaking weak weapons gets you chips, which are the only currency that carries over between the dozen or so parties you'll have over the course of the game. Having several thousand chips and people with the right skills above 25 can get you some really nice items.

Oh, and steel equipment actually lowers you magic defense.

If you equip items that raise your max SP you'll always start fights with at least as much SP as you raised it by. This makes it really easy to spam spells at random battles. If you have Wil or Cordelia use water or tone arts in party battles you'll eventually pick up Sonic Poison, which is a fairly inexpensive all enemy attack spell that does decent damage. Eventually a dude will show up with firestorm learned and make it obsolete but it's great til then.

Something a bit risky that you can do: there's a blue skeleton in the back of the Hahn Ruins, he's actually a near endgame enemy. As such you can duel him to pick up some really strong arts way early. Give someone a sword and do tree-cleave-cleave-slash in the duel until Gale Blade sticks. It's the best single target sword art and it's relatively easy to pick up. Similarly, have Wil do tree-swing-swing-swing with his staff to get Gale Strike (it should be easier but it's not quite as good). They're overkill for most of the game but you might as well knock them out now, or wait til you come back to the Ruins in a later scenario. Wil is really good with staves and will be in your final party, so spam gale strike a lot with him. So long as you don't open the chest elsewhere in the back of the dungeon that contains what you're after, you can keep going back to town to heal up.

It's hard to give good advice for this game without getting really technical, especially since leveling and learning all but the most basic arts can be completely stonewalled if you don't use the exact right enemies.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 17, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

oblomov posted:

Yeah, actually shocktroopers get pretty drat powerful. They are also almost unkillable. Shocktroopers/Snipers do work fairly well with retreat/deploy in some places where you can snag a forward base with a scout and then retreat/deploy your troopers/snipers/lancers to do something. Lancers are also very powerful. Lancer/Engineer team can do a better job then snipers in places (engineers for ammo) and are great at sniping tanks at weird angles from very far off. You can actually snipe snipers and other units, like on top of buildings with very high accuracy. If they don't see you I am not sure evade kicks in. At least so far I haven't seen that on Lancer shots from far away.
Confirming that enemies can only evade from attacks in their front arc (keeping in mind scouts see 270 degrees). There's a reason people mostly use flamethrowers/grenades on enemy aces.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heavy neutrino posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 is one of my absolute favorite games of the PS1 era. dis astranagant covered basically everything you need to know up front, but I want to touch on the Hahn ruins skeleton. Wil is one of the few characters you'll have at the end of the game so spend some time on him, but understand he wont be a physical powerhouse. I like to use the skeleton to build Staff/Magic early on because he only gets better at that by the final area.

EDIT: when dueling, certain inputs create certain attacks. If you want to learn an attack, keep spamming the inputs needed. Here's a list: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198538-saga-frontier-2/faqs/6224 if you want to look them up. I find it useful unless you want to learn everything on your own, which is fine too. The game is not terribly difficult except in spots and the difficulty tends to lean on how much the SaGa RNG screwed you in terms of stat ups or learned abilities.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 17, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Remembered another big deal: make sure everyone has water and tree tools equipped and the Life Water spell set. For most practical purposes it's your only combat heal and it also revives unconscious people. This, of course, doesn't apply to Gustave.

Oh, and unless you're going to sperg the hardest you've ever sperged before, just forget martial arts exist. They're either useless or gamebreaking and gamebreaking is hard to pull off.

Same goes for the top 2 or 3 arts of each type (though sometimes you might get lucky).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 17, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Prism posted:

I'd talk about Lords of Xulima but I haven't gotten it yet. Has anyone else got any comments on it?
I walked through a jungle until I arrived at a village. The guard asked for a 100 gold told, and I told him to gently caress off. My party was wiped out in the ensuing battle. :iia:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Goddammit all this SF2 chat is really making me want to play it again but I know I'll end up wasting a ton of time grinding out arts and rare drops.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

Goddammit all this SF2 chat is really making me want to play it again but I know I'll end up wasting a ton of time grinding out arts and rare drops.

I have only beaten it once (though I've played it easily a half dozen times) because that's what I end up doing too. The game is just so pretty and the atmosphere is so melancholy. I love it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
You guys weren't kidding about the game being easy; I switched over to Gustave's side of the story and he just kind of tears everything apart on his own. Wil is a bit more balanced, but not terribly hard either (unless the game decides to drop one enemy who can one-shot anyone on my team for some reason). Honestly, my main complaint with the game right now is how the dungeons are packed with enemies to an absurd level, and it gets really tedious having to one-shot my way through four of five weak enemies on every screen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gustave will never be particularly challenged. His weapon will always be well ahead of the curve and his sword, hp and wp growths are the best in the game by a country mile.

There are plenty of multitarget spell arts out there but some of the better ones are a bit annoying to get. Someone should join up pretty early with Brushfire, which is simple enough. Delta Petra is another good one early on, it hits a fan pattern fairly hard. Getting Sonic Poison learned and on as many people as you can will cut out a lot of tedium, but tone tools are slightly rare early on. Decent multitarget weapon arts are all obscenely hard to learn.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Play Unlimited SaGa.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stelas posted:

Play Unlimited SaGa.

Tried that like 5 times over the years. Not going to happen again.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Stelas posted:

Play Unlimited SaGa.

I bought it in college because I loved the previous SaGa games without doing any research on it. No joke, I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to move in the dungeon map!! (I finally caved and read the manual, which I usually don't do) This was back when I never used the analog sticks on my controller...

But yeah if I would ever recommend this series (or any jRPG in general), I would always go "yeah, try it out, but for the love of god, at least have a FAQ/guide ready somewhere"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I finally beat Trails in the Sky. It very much felt like an extended prologue for SC, since I assume it just introduces most of the relevant characters and their relations with each other, but what a setup for the next game. The final dungeon was super tedious though, since the enemies in it had like a billion HP and there were like 3 of them in each chest. It didn't help that Estelle did like 0 damage until she got her weapon on the second to last level of it or something.

I kinda wish there was more in the way of character customization though, since everyone felt a bit samey, except Joshua who became a murder machine after equipping that accessory that automatically regens CP. Why yes I'll spam the hell out of Dual Strike, Evil Eye and Black Fang. But while the Orbment system was interesting, it didn't really matter much in the end since people were either incredibly constrained (Kloe especially) or were Olivier, who I think may be the only character who can learn Saint.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dackel posted:

I bought it in college because I loved the previous SaGa games without doing any research on it. No joke, I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to move in the dungeon map!! (I finally caved and read the manual, which I usually don't do) This was back when I never used the analog sticks on my controller...

But yeah if I would ever recommend this series (or any jRPG in general), I would always go "yeah, try it out, but for the love of god, at least have a FAQ/guide ready somewhere"

I like Unlimited Saga but it's the type of game you have to watch roughly 90 minutes of videos to understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1brcx4bDoFY . I'd never recommend it to anyone just based on that, but I got a lot out of it.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

GrandpaPants posted:

I kinda wish there was more in the way of character customization though, since everyone felt a bit samey, except Joshua who became a murder machine after equipping that accessory that automatically regens CP. Why yes I'll spam the hell out of Dual Strike, Evil Eye and Black Fang. But while the Orbment system was interesting, it didn't really matter much in the end since people were either incredibly constrained (Kloe especially) or were Olivier, who I think may be the only character who can learn Saint.

That's interesting. Toward the end, Joshua was spamming area attack spells at a high rate, and I found that the most tedious thing about the dungeon was exploring every single room. The monsters that popped out of treasure chests were pretty much just a speed bump. I won the final boss fight on the first attempt. I don't think I over-leveled my characters, but I may have stumbled on a particularly strong setup.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

joshua is super good, since if you give him the champion belt he'll be able to use black fang like twice a fight to hit everyone for super damage, or if you don't he can just spam time magic/dual strike/flicker which is also too good.

Estelle is weird because she's basically a caster in disguise. Have her cast unless she needs to impede with hard break, or she's built up 100CP. She's got good magic and the second best orbment load out after Olivier, but her crafts are mediocre

unless you do the carnelia sidequest and get the mystic staff, which makes her a powerhouse

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Were there any improvements made to VC on the Steam release to warrant downloading that over the PS3 copy I already have?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Were there any improvements made to VC on the Steam release to warrant downloading that over the PS3 copy I already have?

Dlc is included , higher resolutions and 60 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Dlc is included , higher resolutions and 60 fps

If you use 60 FPS it breaks the game a bit. Tanks are harder to move up slopes and supporting fire happens more often.