Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Best snack ever. Neighbor and I made 15 pounds of rough dice head cheese. Served on molasses rye with a smear of horseradish-beer mustard. Also along with was a couple slices of kielbasa krakowska sucha from her polish gramma.

:dong: Always eat pig snouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Casu Marzu posted:

Best snack ever. Neighbor and I made 15 pounds of rough dice head cheese. Served on molasses rye with a smear of horseradish-beer mustard. Also along with was a couple slices of kielbasa krakowska sucha from her polish gramma.

gently caress. That looks so good. Polish food is delicious, particularly their cured meats and poo poo. Get more.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Made some tuna sushi rolls:

Half of it ended up on my rolling mat, forcing me reroll them by hand though. Still not bad for a first attempt ever I'd say!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

reflex posted:

Made some tuna sushi rolls:

Half of it ended up on my rolling mat, forcing me reroll them by hand though. Still not bad for a first attempt ever I'd say!

:shobon:

I'd eat it!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I made California maki rolls!

These are actually my second batch of sushi rolls ever, my first were earlier today (spam musubi rolls, also awesome). Why did nobody tell me making maki rolls is hideously easy? It's probably more annoying to make hamburgers for dinner. Now to hone my technique (lesson #1: wait for the rice to cool or you burn your hands and get ugly misshapen lumpy rolls).

You need to get a bamboo pad so you can make those rolls nice and tight.

Making sushi is a great social activity. Add in some booze and just a table of ingrediants and you got yourself an awesome party.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Casu Marzu posted:

Did you make this yourself and if so got a recipe?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Casu Marzu posted:

I've never tried head cheese before but that looks drat good.

Had a dinner party last night:

Pumpkin and harlequin squash soup, with garlic and sage crouton, porcini powder, pumpkin seed, parmesan and chive;

Kale, broccoli and ricotta open ravioli, crispy quails egg, shaved asparagus, crispy tarragon and tarragon cream sauce;

lemon cheesecake, pomegranate and limoncello sauce (under everything else), pomegranate seed, oat biscuit crumb, and lemon sherbet.

Photos could have been better (likewise, not hugely happy with the presentation of the main, but ended up a bit rushed), but everything was delicious.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006

Jose posted:

At what temperature did you roast these at to get them like that after 40 minutes? I had them at 150C and came back after half an hour to find they were probably over done with a couple that were burnt

I actually had it higher, I think about 375F if I recall. About 40 minutes, but I tossed them every 10-15.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was involved in a pretend argument with some Brits about what a "biscuit" is, wherein we patiently explained that no, they are not scones. I was inspired and made biscuits for breakfast this morning. God bless America.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jose posted:

Did you make this yourself and if so got a recipe?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/sauced-spicy-beer-mustard-recipe.html

Did this recipe with a glop of horseradish at the end.

Apparently Chrome knows glop is a word. Huh.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

goodness posted:

You need to get a bamboo pad so you can make those rolls nice and tight.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna head over to the big Asian superstore this week and grab one (and hopefully cheaply restock on rice and nori since QFC is a loving poo poo place to buy anything you can't feed to a midwesterner).

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Oddly enough my QFC recently added a bunch of new things including chinese broccoli, garlic chives, korean chilis, korean daikon, chinese sausage, century eggs, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Lots and lots of mussels. I don't have a big bowl so I was serving them out of that pot, which worked well. That's the first of 3 servings, we loving crushed 3 lbs like it was nothing. White wine, garlic, lemon zest, and saffron at the bottom of the steamer, dropped butter on top of the mussels at the 3 minute mark and let them go another 2. Pop some chunky bread under the broiler for that last 2 minutes and serve. gently caress precision, it kills a cheap bottle of wine so just pour / swig / pour / swig for that, mince garlic until you're tired of it, and put in saffron until your wallet says NO MAS YOU SPOILED SON OF A BITCH.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Thoht posted:

Oddly enough my QFC recently added a bunch of new things including chinese broccoli, garlic chives, korean chilis, korean daikon, chinese sausage, century eggs, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Ours has like, STUFF, but the prices are all jacked way the hell up because hipsters will gladly pay three-fifty for a can of coconut milk if it makes them feel more worldly. Anyways, more sushi:

rolls by difficult listening, on Flickr

Definitely could've used the bamboo mat on those spam musubi maki rolls, which were kind of cobbled together from the leftover scraps of rice and nori.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Oh yeah, the prices still suck for sure on the Asian ish.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Crinkle cookies.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i was lazy so i did a super simple roast chicken tonight. sprigs of thyme and a lemon shoved up its rear end, salt and pepper sprinkled liberally over it along with some of the leftover thyme. oven @450 for 45 minutes and done

poured the drippings into a sauce pan with a splash of white wine, the pasty pulp from the cooked lemon, and one of the springs of thyme + some honey. whisked & reduced, poured over sliced breast meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you roast it with the breast down?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I've been cooking birthday lunches for my Dad for a few years now. This past Sunday was this year's (belated) birthday lunch and I managed to snap a few pictures.

My apologies in advance for the pictures, since I am not only bad at picture-taking, but I also had hungry relatives to feed in a hurry.

Main was Beef Wellington (which was tasty but overcooked since I underestimated carry-over heat).

With Braised Leeks (which were unfortunately a little undercooked).

And Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

Berry tart for dessert.

Not pictured: Greek salad by my girlfriend and Red Velvet Cake by my mom.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Pudgygiant posted:

Lots and lots of mussels. I don't have a big bowl so I was serving them out of that pot, which worked well. That's the first of 3 servings, we loving crushed 3 lbs like it was nothing. White wine, garlic, lemon zest, and saffron at the bottom of the steamer, dropped butter on top of the mussels at the 3 minute mark and let them go another 2. Pop some chunky bread under the broiler for that last 2 minutes and serve. gently caress precision, it kills a cheap bottle of wine so just pour / swig / pour / swig for that, mince garlic until you're tired of it, and put in saffron until your wallet says NO MAS YOU SPOILED SON OF A BITCH.

Sup mussel buddy.

Garlic, Leeks, White wine, Tomatoes, prosciutto, and parmesano

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
A great caribbean sandwich place in Seattle closed down recently, so I decided to have a few people over and make some sandwiches to fill the Caribbean Roast-shaped hole in everyone's hearts (I also forgot to take a picture of the finished product until it was already half gone, whoops):

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you roast it with the breast down?

Sure looks like it.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

Viking_Helmet posted:

A great caribbean sandwich place in Seattle closed down recently, so I decided to have a few people over and make some sandwiches to fill the Caribbean Roast-shaped hole in everyone's hearts (I also forgot to take a picture of the finished product until it was already half gone, whoops):

Wow, got a recipe?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doh004 posted:

Sure looks like it.

Could you guys elaborate on the differences here? I'm thinking of trying to roast a full chicken for the first time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

Could you guys elaborate on the differences here? I'm thinking of trying to roast a full chicken for the first time.

The breasts are on one side of the chicken. The backbone is on the other side. Much like you, presumably. There's really no meat to speak of on the back side there. Roasting it with that side up is weird because then the skin on the breasts will stay soggy and not get brown and crispy like that skin is. a little of what you see there is on the thigh, but still not enough to make it worthwhile to sacrifice the skin on the breasts for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The breasts are on one side of the chicken. The backbone is on the other side. Much like you, presumably. There's really no meat to speak of on the back side there. Roasting it with that side up is weird because then the skin on the breasts will stay soggy and not get brown and crispy like that skin is. a little of what you see there is on the thigh, but still not enough to make it worthwhile to sacrifice the skin on the breasts for.

I had been told somewhere, and this may be total bullshit, that roasting it with the breast down keeps it from cooking out less dry than not. Of course brining, cooking / butchering method and cook time / temp probably matter far more than that.

Anyone else hear this before? Wives tale? Actual thing?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

That Works posted:

I had been told somewhere, and this may be total bullshit, that roasting it with the breast down keeps it from cooking out less dry than not. Of course brining, cooking / butchering method and cook time / temp probably matter far more than that.

Anyone else hear this before? Wives tale? Actual thing?

Sure, if you overcook your roast chicken. Don't overcook it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

You don't even need to truss it.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Tried my hand at rosemary garlic pork chops and polenta. Tasty as gently caress.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ogopogo posted:

Tried my hand at rosemary garlic pork chops and polenta. Tasty as gently caress.

This looks amazing. Did you bake them before throwing them on a pan for a sear or were they done entirely on pan?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

VelociBacon posted:

This looks amazing. Did you bake them before throwing them on a pan for a sear or were they done entirely on pan?

Lamb is best rare/med-rare, and these were thin chops. Cooked about 90 seconds a side on a hot cast iron and rested for 5 minutes under some foil. Tender and delicious.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006

cigaw posted:

Beautiful. I've never thought to braise leeks because I grew up mostly making leek soup (where browning on the leek = bad). Summary of how you made em? Looks like there's lots of garlic!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

bosko posted:

Beautiful. I've never thought to braise leeks because I grew up mostly making leek soup (where browning on the leek = bad). Summary of how you made em? Looks like there's lots of garlic!

I've only just learned about braised leeks, didn't care for leeks before that (I'm not a soup person)
Think those are hazelnuts?

would like the recipe/"making of" as well

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Viking_Helmet posted:

I MUST know how it compares to Paseo!! Can anything compare? :smithicide:
This looks delicious!

cigaw posted:

I've been cooking birthday lunches for my Dad for a few years now. This past Sunday was this year's (belated) birthday lunch and I managed to snap a few pictures.

My apologies in advance for the pictures, since I am not only bad at picture-taking, but I also had hungry relatives to feed in a hurry.

Main was Beef Wellington (which was tasty but overcooked since I underestimated carry-over heat).

And Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

Berry tart for dessert.

Not pictured: Greek salad by my girlfriend and Red Velvet Cake by my mom.
Your dad is a very lucky guy! This all looks fantastic! (Also your photos are great)

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
The one thing I really love about colder weather is making braised dishes over the weekends. They warm the house, make it smell good, and almost always make great leftovers.

It was chilly this past weekend, so I made my current favorite braised pork shoulder recipe with mashed potatoes.

Pre-braise

Post-braise with the mashed potatoes, covered in its own (delicious) filth

The recipe is from Anne Burrell with some tweaks to fit my tastes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I gussied up some leftover risotto:

runny egg over risotto + broiled asparagus by difficult listening, on Flickr

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Delicious breakfast this morning - eggs in a basket or whatever other weird regional names it has.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ishamael posted:

Delicious breakfast this morning - eggs in a basket or whatever other weird regional names it has.

Frogs on a lilypad! Also awesome with a little syrup on it to mix in with the runny yolks.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Klenath posted:

Post-braise with the mashed potatoes, covered in its own (delicious) filth

This looks delicious, unfortunately my husband really doesn't like pork. I might grab a roast today and make a pot roast, though. Om nom.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

:dance:COOKIES!!!!:dance:
They're Polvoróns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Echeveria posted:

This looks delicious, unfortunately my husband really doesn't like pork. I might grab a roast today and make a pot roast, though. Om nom.

I always thought that you don't eat pork when you aren't allowed or something. This not liking pork thing is new to me.

• Locked thread