Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Any dwarf that kills a dwarf from the fort is listed as an enemy of the fort, and will be automatically attacked. The same thing happens to the dwarf that kills that dwarf, and so on, forever.

This sounds like such a bad idea.

It's brilliant :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It should only happen if you issue the command to attack back though, iirc.

Usually punching people in a tantrum doesn't cause a cascade, because even though it's combat it's considered safe, or something.

Maybe it's because half of everyone is vampires now who knows :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not so sure I buy the loyalty cascade explanation. No other dwarves have attacked haedrin, to my knowledge, and he was the first to punch Le_Squide. Similarly, Captain_Duck was about as uninvolved as possible for someone standing right next to the whole fiasco. I'm not so sure he ever threw any punches, i'm pretty sure he just got stuck in the back by a bolt and then a few dwarves tried to punch him, then wandered off elsewhere (probably to punch Le_Squide)

Furthermore, even if i'm mistaken on all of these, Grizzwold was all the way down with the masons when he got attacked. What is going on there? Surely that can't be a loyalty issue, or there would have been a commotion long before Grizzwold got that far

Basically what I'm saying is I love Dwarf Fortresses, tedious though it might get to figure out literally anything

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have no words. Only tears of joy mixed with moans of confusion; sprinkled with thoughts of "And yet we haven't fallen yet."

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Kaishai posted:

Go back to where you came from, elf bastard! :argh:

I have no idea why I went insane and kicked that guy's teeth out, but I presume, this being Dwarf Fortress, that I won't stop until all our floors are awash in his vomit.

No, gently caress you!:argh: I show up to apply my craft and have to spend my time Outside, of all places, while my family gets murdered by goblins!

Honestly if you weren't there I'd probably be punching the overseer instead.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Oh boy... this is turning out to be a true DF clusterfuck... and it's only turn 4!

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

ViggyNash posted:

So it's basically WW1, but in a fortress of dwarves?
From what I can gather it's normally more of a civil war (Toady called it the "civil war bug"), but given the goblins, trolls, and assorted wildlife... sure, why not? :shrug:

So that would make Le_Squide pretty much Fogwall's (Archduke) Franz Ferdinand? :v:

e: I am starting to think that segregating the dwarves showed remarkable foresight. It was letting them mix that caused the problems!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I assume that we're actually seeing simultaneous tantrum spirals due to seasons of segregation. I wonder if you can get to know someone well enough to include you in their relationship network tantrum spiral while punching their face in.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
The solution to this divisive social issue resulting from social experimentation is clearly more research. :2bong:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

GrimRevenant posted:

The solution to this divisive social issue resulting from social experimentation is clearly more research. :2bong:

We will further divide the fort into the following sections: elf, troll, dwarf, and spaceman. Elves will live on the surface, Trolls in the caves, Dwarves in the actual fortress, and spacemen on a platform suspended many z-levels above the ground.

Then, after a year or two, we let them mingle.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pyroi posted:

We will further divide the fort into the following sections: elf, troll, dwarf, and spaceman. Elves will live on the surface, Trolls in the caves, Dwarves in the actual fortress, and spacemen on a platform suspended many z-levels above the ground.

..by dropping the spaceman platform onto the elves.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

TildeATH posted:

..by dropping the spaceman platform onto the elves.

Then collapsing the surface into the fortress, and the fortress into the caves.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Pyroi posted:

You, I vote you for next overseer!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Alien Arcana posted:

Then collapsing the surface into the fortress, and the fortress into the caves.

If you stage the space platform correctly, you should be able to collapse it all the way into the depths

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

If you stage the space platform correctly, you should be able to collapse it all the way into the depths

Alternatively, leave an entirely random hole in the floor that just happens to be directly above the "disposal pit".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There are multiple cavern layers and also more fun to be had under them

Why stop at 4

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ViggyNash posted:

Alternatively, leave an entirely random hole in the floor that just happens to be directly above the "disposal pit".

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the gaping maw I built. What's going on with that anyway? I'm sure there's probably a way to insinuate some of these troublemakers into it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

In a couple of alternate dimensions (times that I later had to reload) elves had fallen in, bruised their legs a bit, then immediately achieved successful integration into fortdwarf society. Perhaps it will eventually become tradition that only those who can survive the fall can properly migrate in. Otherwise it's just being used as the fort refuse dump, since all that smelly trash has to go somewhere and it's the only place in the fort that's ventilated, outside of the butcher's shop

Which is right next to the dining hall and no one wants to pass by a pile of garbage before eating their delicious mushrooms

Of course the biggest worry is that some time a goblin or troll takes the plunge instead of an elf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know if you ignore the context offered by the previous updates, the giant melee of elves, trolls, and dwarves doesn't really look very out of form for a DF LP.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
This continues to be one of the most utterly batshit Overseerships I've ever seen. I love it.

Nice to know the War Baron had a suitably violent and silly end, as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Think you'll have an update today?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna try for it tonight, yeah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I could fill up an entire update with just the weird little poo poo that happens as all these guys beat the poo poo out of each other

Only a week would pass in game

What a fortress

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Do it. This civil war is fascinating.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This update is currently 35 images long and exactly one of those images is about something that isn't the civil war

4 in game days have passed

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

15th Malachite

Captain_Duck is such a gentle soul. She’s spent the last two days getting punched by elves and shot in the back with crossbows, but not once has she struck back. Her entire existence is masterfully sidestepping attacks and occasionally blocking with her shield.

She’s pretty miserable about the whole situation though.

Grizzwold has been vomiting all over the floor of the workshop area while Kaishai shows him how we treat elves that wander under the earth

Pittsburg Lambi has been helping Kaishai out as well. It seems “gently caress elves” is a pretty common sentiment around here!

Hoomani takes a brief moment of punching the daylights out of Yeol to proclaim the greatness of Wentley, slayer of Le_Squide. Then gets right back to work.

She stops again later to call out for help. Maybe Hoomani feels threatened by the shards of Yeol’s skull that are flying out at her.

Like a much less skilled Captain_Duck, Yeol’s entire combat log is “I was just standing around minding my own business when I got hit in the back 4 times by crossbow bolts and then some crazy fucker started bashing me in the head with her crossbow

Hoomani is way more unhappy about this situation than Yeol is

That might be because Yeol isn’t conscious

Falius has broken up the fight between Grizzwold and Kaishai , grabbing both Grizzwold and Impy and lugging them both off to the Hospital

Grizzwold gives Impy a few more smacks to the head first though

Hoomani has finally given up on her dream of murdering Yeol, it seems.

I guess she was just too scared of the moral ramifications of cold blooded murder

Oak Thorshield is has been trying to punch Captain_Duck for days and has not landed a single punch. She collapses, exhausted from all this fruitless punching

Kaishai, unsatisfied with seeing the dreaded elf escape with his life, punches the passing by Spanish Matlock and another brawl breaks out

Wentley finally manages to get a lucky hit in on Captain_Duck, smashing her bone apart. Captain_Duck falls over, days of peacefully resisting finally catching up to her just as she can no longer do anything about it, and Wentley swiftly disposes of her like he did Le_Squid

Hmmmm. Falius is still carrying Impy to the hospital, but Grizzwold seems to have been dropped a bit further back down the hallway

Maybe it’s because Pittsburg Lambi found Grizzwold and started punching him

Hoomani is trying to murder Yeol again

Spanish Matlock is beating the poo poo out of Kaishai

The battle between Grizzwold and Pittsburg Lambi is an exciting spectacle that bards will sing of for ages

Impy is running amok in the hospital, refusing to lay in any beds as he circles around

Screaming for help from the doctors anyway

All that running probably isn’t good for his foot

18th Malachite

After all the troll and elf dwarves spent a week just standing in shock as Hoomani blatantly tried to murder Yeol for absolutely no reason at all, SilentW finally steps up to try to stop Hoomani.

Unsuccessfully, mind you, but he tries.

Falius breaks up Kaishai’s fight again, this time grabbing Kaishai and dragging her away to the hospital as Spanish Matlock lies on the ground unconscious

Falius passes by Grizzwold’s fight with Pittsburg Lambi on the way over, and Grizzwold gives Kaishai just a couple of grudge punches.

Both Grizzwold and Pittsburg Lambi have a lot of teeth laying around

Finally! A door! Someone has finally placed the door in the wall hole!

Operation: Banishment can finally begin!

Kaishai wakes up in a hospital bed beside motherfucking Stephen Armstrong. She starts bragging to Stephen Armstrong about all the awesome fights that she’s won and Stephen Armstrong realizes what a threat she is to the safety of the fortress

And that is how Kaishai died

SilentW has obviously been skipping out on training

Wentley loads a bolt into his crossbow and, high off of his 2 for 0 killing spree of both the skilled Le_Squid and Captain_Duck, attempts to murder Subnat. Unfortunately for Wentley, Subnat has no underscore in her name, and is therefore immune to the Wentley’s secret devil deal. Wentley goes down quickly after a bite to the ankle.

It would appear that Subnat has a big “shoot me” sign on her back. PMJ79 sees the sign and follows orders

Farseli murders a dog. What an awful elf child.

Some trolls get in a little spat after a rattlesnake spooks them

Banishment has begun! Any elves and trolls still in the fortress are ordered to stand next to the locked door leading outside. After a banished dwarf arrives, the door unlocked, the banished dwarf is promptly shoved back outside, and the door is locked.

Interestingly enough, though the locked door is meant to keep freeloaders from reentering looking for food, the first priority of the elf and troll dwarves is to tattle on the bloodthirsty murderers standing right beside them.

At some point, Pittsburg Lambi was dragged away from Grizzwold to the hospital. Apparently Stephen Armstrong had heard of the scuffle, and preformed his mayoral duties of keeping the peace and securing a safe fortress.

Farseli is being a problem child. He has effectively rendered membranoid a paraplegic.

Impy, perhaps a bit upset at being beaten up, rebels against the adults and punches Spanish Matlock

Zarwall sees a shifty look in child Rhames’ eyes and tries to murder the poor kid

Zarwall succeeds

Spanish Matlock spares Impy no mercy

Membranoid has died of his earlier spinal injury from Farseli

PMJ79 has murdered Subnat

Farseli has done a real number on Torrance

Hutter Hutterson tried to attack one of the goblins that swam across the river.

It did not end well for the poor child.

SimianNinja has gotten pretty upset

Furious to see a child die at the hands of a goblin, the banished elves and trolls that aren’t busy murdering each other all agree to murder the goblin

All of this violence has scared Grouchy Fish, who runs off

The goblin doesn’t last long

SimianNinja tantrums all over Turtalicious McJagger and Shuffle

Oh no :(

Stephen’s weird suicide cult injuries have finally caught up with him. He passed soundly in bed. Before his final rest he whispered some words to Reading, who promised to continue Stephen’s weirdass suicide cult legacy, and was promptly elected mayor.

----------

I hope no one is getting tired of the Great Resegragation Riots yet

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If I'm reading this correctly I spent most of this update punching various children to death with my hat, so no I'm pretty satisfied with how this is going so far.

Edit: I just wish some more people were doing fan art. I forget who was doing the cool ones before.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 18, 2014

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Boston Busing Simulator 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Am I dead, or did I sleep through thw whole thing? Last thing I read about me I passed out punching an exhausted troll.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Aw.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, uh, how many dwarves are still alive?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
This is probably my favorite year of any DFLP I've followed.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is the most beautiful thing ever.

ViggyNash posted:

My statistics say 140. ninjewtsu's reign has only (?) claimed 17 dorfs (thus far) if I've counted right

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Am I dead, or did I sleep through thw whole thing? Last thing I read about me I passed out punching an exhausted troll.

Everything's looking fine to me

You were basically standing awkwardly beside the riots, nervously staring at the ground and trying to not pay attention as Le_Squide and Captain_Duck got murdered, and while Hoomani continues to try to murder Yeol.

ViggyNash posted:

We've got a ways to go before total fort breakdown. about 70% of the fort hasn't been touched by the rioting. It's pretty much entirely constrained to the banished dwarves + Grizzwold since he hasn't left yet, though anyone who touched a rioter becomes a rioter (hence the hospital incidents). Like some kind of horribly violent disease.

I mean you killed both Le_Squid and Captain_Duck, both skilled and trained military dwarves, with nothing but a crossbow-shaped chunk of copper

The legacy of a proud dwarf elf

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.

From the journal of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

"We ain't supposed to be like this", they says. Bollocks, I says.

This ain't Fogwall's first riot, t'be fair. Actually, I might've had a hand in the first one. Well, strictly speakin', I had two hands an' StrangeAeon lost one.

Bit embarrassin', that. Got a bit carried away wi' meself, I s'pose.

Anyways. This time's worse than a wee little tantrum spiral. It's a real civil war, so it be. Dwarves're turnin' against each other, formin' factions. Loyalists an' renegades. Violence in the name o' nothin' but violence. Seventeen dead an' countin', an' no end in sight.

Some says dwarves ain't meant to work like this. They says, what's the point of a civilisation what self-destructs? Mebbes future dwarves'll be patched up, like, so's we don't fight civil wars no more.

Like I says: bollocks. This ain't a quirk o' dwarven nature an' it ain't somethin' the gods forgot to fix. Ain't ye never seen humans do this? Or elves, or goblins? Divide a people up, draw lines between 'em, put 'em under pressure from inside an' out. All it'll take is one little spark. That's natural, that is. As we engineers say: workin' as intended.

I always figured it'd be the goblins what'd get me; when the real horde arrives, there won't be no stoppin' em. But I never imagined it'd be an uprisin' from within. Well, if them godsdamned renegade elfdwarf trolldwarf bastards try t' take me away from me family, they'd better believe I won't go down without a fight. If the overseer wants to lock 'em all up outside 'til they're all dead, that's fine by me.

After all, it ain't my place to rise up against them as rules us. And it ain't theirs neither. Hammerin's too good for 'em, that's what I says.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Discussion > Games > Nofriendo Entertainment System > Fogwall: I Don't Need Your Civil War

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not a huge fan of calling this a civil war. There really isn't any sides or factions or loyalties or anything, just dudes punching each other mostly at random

Rioting is really a far better way to describe it

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Beaten to death with a tattered sock by a hospitalized mayor. Jesus.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not a huge fan of calling this a civil war. There really isn't any sides or factions or loyalties or anything, just dudes punching each other mostly at random

Rioting is really a far better way to describe it

Civil Rioting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Meanwhile, I think I'm still asleep outside :v:

• Locked thread